Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:20:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New cars  (Read 1207 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
New cars
« on March 27, 2024, 04:15:17 pm by IDM »
I’m thinking of changing my car soon ish.

What cars are folks buying at the moment?  Electric isn’t really an option and my top budget extends to big standard new variant VW Passat estate or Audi A4 Avant..  any opinions on those?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

5minstogo

• Forum Member
Re: New cars
« Reply #1 on March 27, 2024, 05:26:04 pm by 5minstogo »
I don't think you can go wrong with either of those.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 27, 2024, 05:32:15 pm by turnbull for england »
Don't forget Skoda, we've got a Karoq and it's great , but the Octavia / superb will be up there with VW stablemates

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 27, 2024, 05:45:32 pm by Filo »
Don't forget Skoda, we've got a Karoq and it's great , but the Octavia / superb will be up there with VW stablemates

I drive a Skoda Octavia 1.6 on the taxis absolute  workhorse 240k miles and runs like a dream

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 27, 2024, 07:11:29 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I've got a Passat GTE hybrid and really like it as a family car. If I was buying I'd go for the non hybrid just on cost, it's a good car.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 27, 2024, 08:08:18 pm by ncRover »

I don’t understand the extra value in VW / Audi over a Skoda. Maybe once upon a time but not now.

IDM I’d say look at an Octavia estate and you’ll be able to get a better spec and engine than the Audi / VW. Or simply go for a bigger and more executive car with the Superb estate.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 27, 2024, 09:24:42 pm by Muttley »
I've just got a BMW 330E Touring hybrid as my new company car.

Lovely car but pricey.

I would probably have gone for an A4 Avant but they don't do a hybrid version.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 27, 2024, 09:39:31 pm by Nudga »
My lad is selling his 1994 Fiesta if you're interested lol.

It's a minter.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 28, 2024, 07:42:42 am by Axholme Lion »
Subaru forester 2.0 petrol self charging hybrid. Second to none 4 x 4 system. Tough as old boots and will easily last twenty years and 300k miles.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 28, 2024, 11:15:10 am by IDM »
My lad is selling his 1994 Fiesta if you're interested lol.

It's a minter.

Which month?  My January issue is somewhat soiled.!!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 28, 2024, 04:18:48 pm by IDM »
I don’t mind Skoda - engines and running gear etc same as vw and Audi, very reliable too.

Can’t convince my other half though to like them.. still got old Skoda prejudices!  It’s going to be “our”‘car too..

She’s just had her polo written off having been shunted off the road at 60mph by a drunk driver.. fortunately no serious injuries.  The bloke at the recovery yard tells me vw and Audi are the safest cars at the moment, better even than Volvo.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 28, 2024, 05:44:49 pm by Sprotyrover »
I don’t mind Skoda - engines and running gear etc same as vw and Audi, very reliable too.

Can’t convince my other half though to like them.. still got old Skoda prejudices!  It’s going to be “our”‘car too..

She’s just had her polo written off having been shunted off the road at 60mph by a drunk driver.. fortunately no serious injuries.  The bloke at the recovery yard tells me vw and Audi are the safest cars at the moment, better even than Volvo.
Germans have always admired Skoda as one of the best engineering companies in Europe that’s why VW bought them, the BEF wasn’t laughing at Wehrmacht Skoda tanks and guns in 1940!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 28, 2024, 06:01:09 pm by Filo »

Tell her as well as owning Skoda and Audi VW also own Lamborghini, Buggatti, and Porsche

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 28, 2024, 09:38:48 pm by Dagenham Rover »
I bought a Skoda Estelle many years ago as I needed transport to get me from Kent to Liverpool and back. It had been parked up in a garage for 15 months on the proviso it went through the Mot It took 20 minutes of recommissioning and passed first time. I kept it for nearly 3 years only ever had one issue with it the radiator thermostat packed up so in traffic it would overheat, Being the tight git I was I cut into the circuit cut one of the dash unused switch blanking plates out and fitted  a 50p flick switch and if in traffic when the temperature started to go up flick the switch on, fan came on job done :) I seem to remember I sold it for what I paid and was honest about the fan. !977 rear engined Skoda Estelle underrated even then :)   

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 28, 2024, 09:57:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Audis are always good value. As well as getting the car, you also get a 100% pass rate course in how to drive like a Kitson.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 28, 2024, 11:09:46 pm by idler »
Audis are always good value. As well as getting the car, you also get a 100% pass rate course in how to drive like a Kitson.
Audiots?

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 29, 2024, 12:42:58 pm by Axholme Lion »
I worked for Vwg for many years, vastly overrated imo. You can't go wrong with Japanese cars. Suzuki, Subaru, Toyota are the best.

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 29, 2024, 01:11:20 pm by TonySoprano »

Gotta agree with you there. For some reason it's audi above any other make of car.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 29, 2024, 08:48:08 pm by IDM »

A bit like the “substantially” (police words) over the drunk driving limit Audi driver who t**tted my other half off the road..

Passat winning at the moment.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 29, 2024, 08:51:38 pm by IDM »
I worked for Vwg for many years, vastly overrated imo. You can't go wrong with Japanese cars. Suzuki, Subaru, Toyota are the best.

They’re probably all very good, but I’m influenced by the bloke at the recovery yard.  It’s one of the places where police send vehicles after crashes, including those with fatalities.  This guy sees all sorts and is probably as well placed as anyone to comment on how well folks get out of crashed cars..

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 29, 2024, 10:22:20 pm by Muttley »

I've always considered BMW drivers to be the worst on the road (with an honourable mention to Range Rover owners).

Luckily I ordered the optional indicator package for my new BMW!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 01, 2024, 07:27:39 am by IDM »
I learned something new yesterday - if I buy a new car and the list price - including options and disregarding any dealer/finance discounts - is over £40k, then there is an additional road tax charge of £410 per year in years 2-6 of ownership.

The standard A4 avant with no extras is £40,100.  So for the want of £101 I’d have to pay £2050 in extra tax.

bas**rds.!

The Passat I like with the metallic paint is just under £39.5k.. naturally I’d welcome discounts but that makes no difference to the tax.

The tax is valued on the price of the car the day before it’s registered.  I read about a bloke who ordered a car just under £40k, but due to delays it took 5 months to be delivered, by which time the list price had risen over that mark.  So he was stuffed.

And like other taxes, the £40k threshold has not risen since it was introduced in 2017.!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on April 01, 2024, 07:33:20 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I don't know which Passat variant you're after but that happened to me too. 36k when ordered, list price was £38.5k when I got it and with extras mine comes on at £39995 in the end. Important to get that valuation right as a company car driver.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 01, 2024, 08:39:12 am by mushRTID »
Had a BMW 330e as a company car driver, haven’t liked it to be honest.

Been offered a new Tesla and as I’m not really into cars and have a home charger I thought I’d give it a go. I’m not too fussed what i drive to be honest so couldn’t turn down the cost savings on offer even though I know Tesla’s get a lot of negativity.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 01, 2024, 01:12:02 pm by IDM »
I don't know which Passat variant you're after but that happened to me too. 36k when ordered, list price was £38.5k when I got it and with extras mine comes on at £39995 in the end. Important to get that valuation right as a company car driver.

It’s the new variant estate just launched..

I need to really check what elements of the OTR price are in the list price for road tax calculations, as if some bits are excluded then the A4 might be ok..

Have the drive them both first anyway.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 01, 2024, 08:09:58 pm by danumdon »
Had a BMW 330e as a company car driver, haven’t liked it to be honest.

Been offered a new Tesla and as I’m not really into cars and have a home charger I thought I’d give it a go. I’m not too fussed what i drive to be honest so couldn’t turn down the cost savings on offer even though I know Tesla’s get a lot of negativity.

I'm really surprised that you don't like the BMW330e, i've had one for the past three years and have been massivly impressed with it, as a company vehicle its a low BIK rate (obviously not as low as a full EV) its been a great mile guzzler, sticks to the road like glue and goes like sh*t of a stick when able to. 100% reliable i've covered 72k in it and returns a decent 44mpg when not charging.

Only downside (if you can call it that) is the smaller boot and fuel tank because of the battery but its been bulletproof and a fine drive. I'm actually looking into buying it off the lease company (decent deal to be had) and selling it on for a profit.

The best thing overall is that at three years old and with all its miles covered it still drives, handles and looks like a brand new car, you don't get many car these days that can do that.

Absolutely corking used car.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 02, 2024, 08:38:02 am by IDM »

It’s the new variant estate just launched..

I need to really check what elements of the OTR price are in the list price for road tax calculations, as if some bits are excluded then the A4 might be ok..

Have the drive them both first anyway.

From what I’ve been able to glean from various websites, the first year road tax and the registration fee don’t count towards the list price.  So that’s roughly £250 to deduct from the quoted OTR, for tax purposes.

Or we could go safe with a specced up golf or A3 and on the odd occasion we need a big car (camping holidays) just hire one.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 13, 2024, 05:39:49 pm by IDM »
Looks like we’re probably going to accept the tax hit to get the car (Passat) we want.

As a blue light card holder I found out I can get £8K off..  can’t argue with that!

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 13, 2024, 05:47:43 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Looks like we’re probably going to accept the tax hit to get the car (Passat) we want.

As a blue light card holder I found out I can get £8K off..  can’t argue with that!

Blue Light cards are well worth it for those who qualify

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 13, 2024, 06:28:09 pm by drfchound »

Blue Light cards are well worth it for those who qualify

Indeed, I have taken advantage of it too, I saved £13000 on my current car.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012