Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 07:26:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Is this the best moment as a Rovers fan? For me, probably!  (Read 609 times)

Dazator

• Forum Member
"You have to say that Donny’s transformation from relegation candidates to promotion probables is the most remarkable stat of the season. I saw them at Sutton in February and they were awful, only a 96th minute penalty (courtesy of the idiot Sutton goalkeeper) got them a point." From a Sutton fan on BBC.

Took my lucky 7 year old to her first game yesterday. I asked her for her prediction in Maccy Ds before KO and she said 4 v 2! I just wish I'd put a few quid on that at half time as a punt! She was epic and loved every minute. Whatever happens this run of 9 wins, watching the last few home homes and just that 2nd half yesterday are enough joy to make all the dull and dismal years worth it.

February 9th. 22nd. 30 played, 29 points.

April 20th. 8th. 15 games later, 67 points.

My best 2 months ever as a rovers fan of 25 years since 1999, regardless of the playoff outcome? Probably
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 11:58:45 am by Dazator »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

LincsRover

• VSC Member
Re: Is this the best moment as a Rovers fan? For me, probably!
« Reply #1 on April 21, 2024, 09:01:16 am by LincsRover »
Yesterday was the very epitome of being a rovers fan. We don’t do things the easy way and the lower the lows, the higher the highs! It’s a proper roller coaster and I wouldn’t change it for all the champions or premier league titles in the world!! I only care about one team, and that love affair is over 50 years old and rising.

The Britannia stadium, Wembley & Brentford were truly life affirming and, whilst not quite as important yet (we still have work to do), yesterday was definitely up there with lifelong memorable moments!

Rovers til I die!!  :rtid: :rtid:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 09:04:52 am by LincsRover »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Interesting to recall that a load of people were kicking off in the crowd at Sutton in the minutes before the penalty. Total rancour with abuse being fired in all directions and then…well it’s all history now.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 21, 2024, 09:23:42 am by Spud »
It was a great day, not quite up there with the biggies everyone's mentioned before, but I think it felt just as good due to how we've been starved for the last few years.
Love my club.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 21, 2024, 09:48:25 am by Campsall rover »
"You have to say that Donny’s transformation from relegation candidates to promotion probables is the most remarkable stat of the season. I saw them at Sutton in February and they were awful, only a 96th minute penalty (courtesy of the idiot Sutton goalkeeper) got them a point." From a Sutton fan on BBC.

Took my lucky 7 year old to her first game yesterday. I asked her for her prediction in Maccy Ds before KO and she said 4 v 2! I just wish I'd put a few quid on that at half time as a punt! She was epic and loved every minute. Whatever happens this run of 9 wins, watching the last few home homes and just that 2nd half yesterday are enough joy to make all the dull and dismal years worth it.

February 9th. 22nd. 30 played, 29 points.

April 9th. 8th. 14 games later, 67 points.

My best 2 months ever as a rovers fan of 25 years since 1999, regardless of the playoff outcome? Probably
It’s 15 games played after the Sutton game and it was 20th April yesterday.
But yes it been a quite remarkable 2 months as you say.  This is easily the best sequence of results I have seen from Rovers.
I don’t know if it has beaten the 46/47 season
Yes we got 10 straight wins that season but did we get 39 points from 16 games inc Sutton or 38 points from 15 games after Sutton.

Over to the statto’s for that one. Or I might take a look myself at the 1946/47 season.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 21, 2024, 10:03:00 am by Campsall rover »
Above post.

Just had a look.

We went on a sequence of 49 points from 19 game or at least that is the equivalent if it had been 3 points for a win.
That’s 15 wins and 4 draws. Remarkable.

That sequence above does not include the 10 straight wins which came later in the season.

We have a little way to go to match 49 points from 19 games.
But if we win the last 2 games this season we will have 45 points from the last 18 games.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 21, 2024, 11:08:11 am by Dutch Uncle »
More recently in 2003-04 we had a run of 15 games for 40 points:

2 wins followed by the 3-3 draw at Cambridge from 0-3 down (and Paul Barnes missing a penalty to win it in the last minute), followed by 6 wins, a 0-1 loss at York to a dodgy penalty, followed by another 5 wins.

13 wins, 1 draw, 1 defeat

We then lost 1-3 in each of two very tough away fixtures at Hull (JJ Price hattrick) and Huddersfield.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 21, 2024, 11:32:28 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Of course there are some parallels but this is in my opinion more remarkable because of the jeopardy, the sh*t or bust nature of each game, and how they've reset after each triumph.

Another thing which we overlook, particularly relevant to the Penney runs was we could augment the squad with loans, Inc short term loans at any time to fill any gaps (Akinfenwa). McCann hasn’t had that luxury,  and maybe not needed it but the demands required of this bunch of players, the discipline, has been managed exceptionally well.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 11:35:01 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 21, 2024, 11:38:11 am by BillyStubbsTears »
More recently in 2003-04 we had a run of 15 games for 40 points:

2 wins followed by the 3-3 draw at Cambridge from 0-3 down (and Paul Barnes missing a penalty to win it in the last minute), followed by 6 wins, a 0-1 loss at York to a dodgy penalty, followed by another 5 wins.

13 wins, 1 draw, 1 defeat

We then lost 1-3 in each of two very tough away fixtures at Hull (JJ Price hattrick) and Huddersfield.

I distinctly remember having some proto- online arguments during that 03/04 run with somebody complaining that we weren't playing as well as he demanded.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 21, 2024, 11:45:29 am by Dutch Uncle »
Of course there are some parallels but this is in my opinion more remarkable because of the jeopardy, the sh*t or bust nature of each game, and how they've reset after each triumph.

Another thing which we overlook, particularly relevant to the Penney runs was we could augment the squad with loans, Inc short term loans at any time to fill any gaps (Akinfenwa). McCann hasn’t had that luxury,  and maybe not needed it but the demands required of this bunch of players, the discipline, has been managed exceptionally well.

Valid arguments DBR.

But I would add that in 2003-04, although the run was in the first half of the season, it transformed a poor-ish start (9 points from 8 games, 17th position) in our first season back in the league with some pundits predicting immediate relegation back to the Conference, to a half way stage of 49 points from 23 games, equivalent of 98 in a season which is runaway champions numbers. As it turned out we took 'only' 43 points from the remaining 23 games but were champions by 4 points anyway

TinyPortal © 2005-2012