Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 06:59:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: That other QPR match, in 1985...  (Read 6614 times)

Wokingviking

• VSC Member
That other QPR match, in 1985...
« on September 22, 2010, 05:06:11 pm by Wokingviking »
...I have the official video - single camera from that gantry-box-thing on the original popside stand, and no commentary! - but it seems a bit of a shame that it just stays sitting in a cupboard, so if anyone has the gear to upload a video to an electronic file so it could be put on Youtube or RTR's Projectplace for others to view.  ANY TAKERS??  I could hand it over at QPR (fittingly) on Saturday by arrangement?  I don't want it back or owt.

I haven't re-played it for about 5 years now, but boy did it look a slow pace compared to today - mainly because of the back-pass rule.  We outplayed them though, and QPR were really a top-six side around that time unless my memory fails me.

Btw - does anyone remember David Harle being transfered to Exeter City then coming back to us?  That seemed a really strange move, always wondered why.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re:That other QPR match, in 1985...
« Reply #1 on September 22, 2010, 05:10:12 pm by Filo »
Top man, there must be someone out there that can digitise it

Dimples-D

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 22, 2010, 05:37:34 pm by Dimples-D »
QPR were decent in the 70's. By 1985 they were on a downer.. We got Everton in the next round, they won the league that year..

http://www.emfootball.co.uk/table1984-85.html

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 22, 2010, 05:55:10 pm by not on facebook »
best atmosphere i have seen at a rovers game ever was
that qpr game.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 22, 2010, 05:59:49 pm by Filo »
I remember the goal like it was yesterday, I was stood on the old popside, the ball coming out to Dave Harle on the edge of the area at the town end and then wallop it was in the back of the net, cue absolute mayhem on the popside  :laugh:

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 22, 2010, 06:04:32 pm by idler »
I heard that he wanted a rise when his contract ended, not much but the Rovers didn't offer it.Then joined Exeter.
I saw David Harle at the Keepmoat not long after we moved there, no airs and graces on him. He'd be a lesson to some of the younger wimps now playing. He doesn't moan about being in the game too early, he never made a fortune but he was a good honest player.

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 22, 2010, 09:00:55 pm by bradford exile »
Woking Viking wrote

\"...I have the official video - single camera from that gantry-box-thing on the original popside stand, and no commentary! - but it seems a bit of a shame that it just stays sitting in a cupboard, so if anyone has the gear to upload a video to an electronic file so it could be put on Youtube or RTR's Projectplace for others to view. ANY TAKERS?? I could hand it over at QPR (fittingly) on Saturday by arrangement? I don't want it back or owt.\"

Woking I think I can get that done. Wont be at QPR but if you pm me I will give you my address to send it to and will refund any postage.

Once done I will let you have a copy

Regards

Ray (aka bradford exile)

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 22, 2010, 10:21:18 pm by rover-n-out »
God, look at Luton Town and Southampton. Top teams back in the day eh?
I bet their fans would think you were off your rocker if you told them back then where they would be in 25 years time.
Crazy, crazy world we live in. Snap, crackle and drop!!

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 22, 2010, 10:25:35 pm by Standanista »
What a great idea.  Probably my most memoral Rovers game.  We were the top headline on Sports Report at 5 o'clock that night as well: usual monster queue to get out of the car park with a big attendance, cold dark January evening, Radio 2 on, brass band music fades out and the presenter starts up with, \"Billy Bremner's Doncaster Rovers...\"

adge

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 22, 2010, 10:59:36 pm by adge »
just like it will be northampton town in tomorrows papers

washyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 22, 2010, 11:07:32 pm by washyrover »
Great game still can replay harle's goal in my mind.

MickyNorburys90shat-trick

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 23, 2010, 08:44:04 am by MickyNorburys90shat-trick »
My very first game (7 years old) - unfortunately all I can remember from the game is being stood by the wall on the main stand side and dropping a hot drink on my foot!

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 23, 2010, 09:15:44 am by roversam »
MickyNorburys90shat-trick wrote:
My very first game (7 years old) - unfortunately all I can remember from the game is being stood by the wall on the main stand side and dropping a hot drink on my foot!
Did you spill your drink when we scored, if so, did you cry when Harley scored, sorry just couldnt resist that.  :P

MickyNorburys90shat-trick

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 23, 2010, 09:43:48 am by MickyNorburys90shat-trick »
Probably, it was bloody hot!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 23, 2010, 12:47:45 pm by RobTheRover »
Wokingviking wrote:
...I have the official video - single camera from that gantry-box-thing on the original popside stand, and no commentary! - but it seems a bit of a shame that it just stays sitting in a cupboard, so if anyone has the gear to upload a video to an electronic file so it could be put on Youtube or RTR's Projectplace for others to view.  ANY TAKERS??  I could hand it over at QPR (fittingly) on Saturday by arrangement?  I don't want it back or owt.

I haven't re-played it for about 5 years now, but boy did it look a slow pace compared to today - mainly because of the back-pass rule.  We outplayed them though, and QPR were really a top-six side around that time unless my memory fails me.

Btw - does anyone remember David Harle being transfered to Exeter City then coming back to us?  That seemed a really strange move, always wondered why.

Philsky is your man (if he ever gives me back the ones I lent him last season!!!!) and he will be at QPR

neil grainger

« Reply #15 on September 23, 2010, 01:03:47 pm by neil grainger »
Wokingviking wrote:

I recall Dave Harle actually had THREE different spells with Rovers. Am struggling to think of any other player who did that. Did King Alick have two or three?

Ryan B

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 23, 2010, 01:08:53 pm by Ryan B »

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 23, 2010, 01:46:53 pm by Jim Dobbin »
\"Mighty QPR\"  :laugh:

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 23, 2010, 02:04:21 pm by bradford exile »
Hi Neil

Alick had two spells I think, although right at the end after Lincoln he was reportedly training with Rovers again. Duggie had two spells I think, And Bremner was twice manager (1st time player Manager).

Cant really think of anyone who had three spells.

Regards

Ray

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 23, 2010, 04:52:20 pm by graingrover »
Woking you may be sitting on something preciuos. I once had a discussion with a guy ( will remain nameless) who reckoned Dave Harle made off with the club's only copy of that famous victory!!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on September 23, 2010, 07:17:43 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I remember the game for the amount of stick we gave Michael Robinson. He had signed for QPR from the mighty Liverpool and thought he was Billy Big b*llocks. He came down to earth that day with a BIG bang !

Wokingviking

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on September 23, 2010, 08:23:20 pm by Wokingviking »
bradford exile wrote:
Woking Viking wrote

\"...I have the official video - single camera from that gantry-box-thing on the original popside stand, and no commentary! - but it seems a bit of a shame that it just stays sitting in a cupboard, so if anyone has the gear to upload a video to an electronic file so it could be put on Youtube or RTR's Projectplace for others to view. ANY TAKERS?? I could hand it over at QPR (fittingly) on Saturday by arrangement? I don't want it back or owt.\"

Woking I think I can get that done. Wont be at QPR but if you pm me I will give you my address to send it to and will refund any postage.

Once done I will let you have a copy

Regards

Ray (aka bradford exile)

Hi Ray, that's great, thanks (and don't worry about postage!).  I'm actually on your \"Reuters service\" for exiles... so I'll drop you a line!

Wokingviking

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 23, 2010, 08:26:14 pm by Wokingviking »
RobTheRover wrote:
Wokingviking wrote:

Philsky is your man (if he ever gives me back the ones I lent him last season!!!!) and he will be at QPR

Thanks Rob, but I never seem to catch Phil (I carried Kitch's biog book to all the London games for ages and then when I finally met him at Palace I diddn't bring it!) but Bradford Exile (above) will sort it... are you still running Projectplace btw?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 23, 2010, 09:37:43 pm by RobTheRover »
You mean \"the place that has a name that dare not be breathed\"?

The answer is no, I had a sky+ malfunction at the start of last season and came back from hols with nothing to upload.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 23, 2010, 10:22:12 pm by BobG »
bradford exile wrote:
Hi Neil

Alick had two spells I think, although right at the end after Lincoln he was reportedly training with Rovers again. Duggie had two spells I think, And Bremner was twice manager (1st time player Manager).

Cant really think of anyone who had three spells.

Regards

Ray

How many times did Duggie come and go? Two? Or did he make it the third time? Alan Warboys had two. So did Denis Peacock. If Duggie didn't I can't think of anyone else who might have done.

BobG

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 23, 2010, 10:28:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I've got a feeling Uncle Jack Ashurst had three spells.

If memory serves, he came from Leeds on loan, then signed up permanently, retired then was called up again when the side imploded after Bremner left in 91.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on September 23, 2010, 10:56:24 pm by hoolahoop »
25 years ago and it seems just like yesterday. OBV 'hummed' what a great atmosphere it was now 25 years later we are about to play them on virtually level terms.......an omen I hope so.
Sometimes it's amazing how things have a habit of repeating themselves on anniversaries. Win in the 79th. minute anybody or is that a step too far perhaps ?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 23, 2010, 11:49:02 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It must have been one of the last times that the old Pop side was full before being demolished to make way for that apology of a stand.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 24, 2010, 12:06:19 am by RedRover45 »
DonnyBazR0ver wrote:
It must have been one of the last times that the old Pop side was full before being demolished to make way for that apology of a stand.

I remember being right up at the top near the old bar when Harle scored, and by the time the popside had finally finished celebrating I was leaning over the wall at pitch side  :P

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on September 24, 2010, 12:17:33 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
You must have been a 'hard' lad being that far up. I was only semi hard being half way, just under the old commentary box !

TinyPortal © 2005-2012