Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 07:40:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Doncaster Rovers Marketing  (Read 4581 times)

Goldthorpe Rover

• Forum Member
Doncaster Rovers Marketing
« on October 24, 2010, 12:00:21 am by Goldthorpe Rover »
Mmmm Game on TV = low turnout =  marketing opportunity = quid a kid deal, jeez who hires these people. :(

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Rovin Reporter

Re:Doncaster Rovers Marketing
« Reply #1 on October 24, 2010, 10:10:17 am by Rovin Reporter »
John Ryan

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 24, 2010, 10:16:30 am by MrFrost »
What's even more worrying is that there is zero marketing for the two reduced priced games coming up and ticket sales are currenty no better than what they are at this stage for full price games.

the dons

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 24, 2010, 10:35:37 am by the dons »
Bring back young ALICK and uncle RAY THOMAS,simples. :byebye

I-was-there1976

« Reply #4 on October 24, 2010, 10:58:50 am by I-was-there1976 »
perhaps cos the keepmute is full of moaning tossers like 94 % of the people on here

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 24, 2010, 11:04:08 am by MrFrost »
I-was-there1976 wrote:
perhaps cos the keepmute is full of moaning tossers like 94 % of the people on here

Oh the irony!

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 24, 2010, 11:11:51 am by not on facebook »
with so many not taken seats at the KMS last nite i take it for granted
that loads and loads of the donny public watched the game via armchair or local pubs.

for sure the marketing of doncaster rovers football team was top class on the pitch
last nite going on the 1st 45mins.

not saying the above will send part time fans down to KMS in their horads, but
its was a great step in the right direction.

I-was-there1976

« Reply #7 on October 24, 2010, 11:20:48 am by I-was-there1976 »
MrFrost wrote:
I-was-there1976 wrote:

Oh the irony!

Me and you are in the 6% god damn you, lol. I only come on here to jest and take the piss out of the less fortunate

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 24, 2010, 11:23:13 am by MrFrost »
I moan for England mate!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 24, 2010, 12:01:10 pm by RobTheRover »
Gareth had a meeting with the club on friday, and the club's marketing (or lack of it) was discussed.  Apparently there is going to be a big push for the low priced games starting this week.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 24, 2010, 12:03:42 pm by MrFrost »
RobTheRover wrote:
Gareth had a meeting with the club on friday, and the club's marketing (or lack of it) was discussed.  Apparently there is going to be a big push for the low priced games starting this week.

Thats good to hear Rob, and I hope the club carry it forward.
Are the VSC planning a leaflet drop or anything as has been done previously?

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 24, 2010, 06:26:01 pm by Standanista »
oslorovers wrote:
with so many not taken seats at the KMS last nite i take it for granted
that loads and loads of the donny public watched the game via armchair or local pubs.

for sure the marketing of doncaster rovers football team was top class on the pitch
last nite going on the 1st 45mins.

not saying the above will send part time fans down to KMS in their horads, but
its was a great step in the right direction.

An excellent point, sir.

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 24, 2010, 07:43:19 pm by moses »
Given the opportunity for anyone interested in Rovers to watch the match for free yesterday, you would have thought the campaign would have been on last night big style.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 24, 2010, 09:17:17 pm by hoolahoop »
moses wrote:
Given the opportunity for anyone interested in Rovers to watch the match for free yesterday, you would have thought the campaign would have been on last night big style.

Of course it should have, it's ridiculous that we are so immature in marketing games or the club when the opportunity arrives on a platter.
Fact is folk plan shifts in advance etc, so marketing games should be ongoing not .....ready to start!
Jeez it's bloody calamitous.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 24, 2010, 10:04:42 pm by Filo »
RobTheRover wrote:
Too little, too late!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 24, 2010, 10:15:01 pm by RobTheRover »
As it happens, I agree, but what more can you do but \"help\" the club by pointing out where they get it repeatedly wrong?  There is nothing I want more than a properly run marketing department, and I think the club shoots itself in the knackers too often by not marketing properly.  

An example, I've only ever bought 1 family ticket directly from Nottingham Forest (for the family enclosure at NFFC v DRFC last season), yet on Saturday morning I received a lovely booklet of all their merchandise through the post.  I thought at the time how expensive it must be to send everyone in their database one of these... and then I remembered what the CRM is and does, and realised that I got it as a) I have only ever bought 1 ticket, b) I've never spent a bean in their club shop, and c) as I bought a family ticket its obvious I have kids (a marketeer's dream -\"Dad, can I have...\").

Smart work, Forest.  There's the model, Doncaster.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 24, 2010, 10:18:02 pm by hoolahoop »
Filo wrote:
RobTheRover wrote:
Too little, too late!

Exactly , are our directors and marketing team (ha) living in a fookin time warp..........just what are they thinking !
JR don't ever bother to knock our support at 'open' meetings sgain, you have to do something about it or rather your employees do sooner rather than later.
Start by getting rid of the calamity that is Morris please.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 24, 2010, 10:45:13 pm by Filo »
RobTheRover wrote:
As it happens, I agree, but what more can you do but \"help\" the club by pointing out where they get it repeatedly wrong?  There is nothing I want more than a properly run marketing department, and I think the club shoots itself in the knackers too often by not marketing properly.  

An example, I've only ever bought 1 family ticket directly from Nottingham Forest (for the family enclosure at NFFC v DRFC last season), yet on Saturday morning I received a lovely booklet of all their merchandise through the post.  I thought at the time how expensive it must be to send everyone in their database one of these... and then I remembered what the CRM is and does, and realised that I got it as a) I have only ever bought 1 ticket, b) I've never spent a bean in their club shop, and c) as I bought a family ticket its obvious I have kids (a marketeer's dream -\"Dad, can I have...\").

Smart work, Forest.  There's the model, Doncaster.
You can lead a horse to water...........

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 24, 2010, 11:02:04 pm by BobG »
I'd give my eye teeth to be Chief Exec for 3 years. I really would. I'd be alright at it too. I'd do it for expenses too.

BobG

LEE-ROY

« Reply #19 on October 24, 2010, 11:18:35 pm by LEE-ROY »
Right Guys.
I've been a long time viewer of the Vikings forum but never got involved.
After the Sheff Utd attendance plus months of frustation I have decided to break that duck. Attached below is an open e-mail I have sent to all personnel at the Rovers, Commercial/Marketing and Customer Service. After less than 9,000 for a Yorkshire derby we do really need to have a long hard look at ourselves. Again, e-mail below:

TO ALL AT THE ROVERS,
I write this note, to all parties having watched the fantastic home victory against Sheffield United. The shine was taken off the result however with the attendance.

Firstly, I accept the reasons of how and why the club has set their stall out with this years pricing, I understand this and accept that people with more business accumen than myself have done the sums and believe this is the way forward.

With that in mind though I do have to raise serious questions as to what are our marketing policies to entice supporters to games. I personally get sick and tired of telling Doncaster football fans who we have got next Saturday, it's truly embarrassing.

What I am asking is, are we as a club doing absolutely everything in our power to entice fans to the games. I honestly dont think we can say we are. For example, please ask yourself, any of the following:

1. Do we have a big match advert in every local paper. Answer - No.
2. Do we have a next match poster on the keepmoat roundabout where thousands of cars pass per day? - Answer No.
3. Do we text all season ticket holders of current ticket sales and encourage them to bring fans along. - Answer No.
4. Do we give 3,000 match tickets away per match to every school in Doncaster. Answer - No.
5. Has the club tied itself in with the Fress Press Sunday League encouraging all kids from 8 to 18 to come to the Rovers. Answer - No.
6. Do we have a club shop in the Frenchgate, thus increasing club exposure, ticket sales and merchandise sales. Answer - No.
7. Do we have match day poster in the window of every pub in Doncaster. Answer No.
8. Do we have match day posters in key businesses in Doncaster. Answer No.
9. Do we have big banners in the towns biggest shopping complex the Frenchgate that tells fans who we are playing next. Answer - No.
10. Do we send out a weekly newsletter to season ticket holders and registered ticket purchases, advising them what ticket sales are and that tickets are still available. Answer - No.
11. Do we circulate a weekly newsletter to the top 20 employers in the town so they can inform their employees about the Rovers games, like the Council? No.
12. Are there any incentive schemes for season ticket holders to bring their friend? - No.
13. When shoppers park in Doncaster town centre, does the reverse of their ticket promote who the Rovers are playing next? - No.
14. On a weekly basis does the Free Press front cover scream out at all readers who Rovers are playing next week, or when they are next at home? - No.
15. Do the top 20 most visited places in Doncaster all have an association with the Rovers so they can also promote Rovers games? - No.
16. Does the marketing/commercial teams meet with the supporters groups once per month to discuss the latest proposals/ideas and ways of how best to proceed? - No

You all get the theme here, these are just some thoughts and I know some fans through the forums have some great ideas too. We just need a voice.

The crowds of last week both Tuesday and Saturday for me raised massive alarm bells. Please also let us not hide behind the TV excuse for Saturday. If we do this we are more amateur then I previously thought.

For a local derby we got less than 9,000 fans, please let this sink in for a moment. This is an absolute disgrace and to the watching UK public we are starting to look like a laughing stock. People say to me,so you play good football, you have good players, you've signed the player the whole town wanted, after I have said yes to all the above they then say, so why don't people come and watch??? - I just shrug my shoulders.

If you think I'm on my own please take the time to go on the local forums such as Vikings. The supporters on a daily basis question the marketing drives at the club.

What do we need to do now?
My suggestion would be to call a fans open forum at the Keepmoat next week. Lets get all key club personnel to listen to the fans voice. Let this be your opportunity to quash the fans theory that the club doesn't lisen to the fans marketing/commerical ideas.

I remind again, we got less than 9,000 fans for a Yorkshire derby. I also hasten to add there looked to be at least 2 empty boxes in the East Stand. How can this be?
If I had been in charge I would have had a member of my staff ringing every company in Sheffield from Monday morning onwards non stop until they were sold.

People, I beg you all not to sit in your ivory tower on this one and proclaim its not my fault. It is clearly time for us all, fans and club united to get together and sort this one out.

I look forward to your response.

I will now ensure the main fans forums have this letter and aware of this proposal[/b]

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 25, 2010, 06:35:40 am by Superspy »
well its nice to see that somebody has put the effort in to fire something off to the club, although the success of it isn't something i'd put a lot of faith in :(

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 25, 2010, 07:57:34 am by CusworthRovers »
Filo wrote:

You can lead a horse to water...........

.....but a pencil must be lead mate

the dons

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 25, 2010, 08:40:53 am by the dons »
Well said LEE ROY does anyone know who these marketing people are,or what Marketing of the the club they actually do on a local level. :thumbdown:

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 25, 2010, 08:48:35 am by DonnyNoel »
Good post Lee Roy, plenty of ideas and I like the uses of the word \"we\" instead of just \"are you....?\" \"why aren't you...?\" - shows we're in this together and all want to chip in.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 25, 2010, 03:31:30 pm by MrFrost »
Jesut noticed a few Facebook updates from DRFC mentioning the ticket offer. I wonder if it will end there?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 25, 2010, 04:31:15 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
16. Does the marketing/commercial teams meet with the supporters groups once per month to discuss the latest proposals/ideas and ways of how best to proceed? - No

This is the biggie for me. How any origanisation can not engage it's customers on a regular basis is beyond me.

atick45

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 25, 2010, 06:34:53 pm by atick45 »
:blink:  ;) Excellent post lee roy hope some at Rovers take notice .We always got posters to put in shop windows now we get nothing.Ialso noted that although there were empty seats all over on sat the main block of the premier club was and has been for ages practically empty.  ;)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 25, 2010, 07:15:06 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Very good point. He can hardly criticise the average man in the street when he's surrounded by empty seats that should be occupied by the great and the good of the business world.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on October 25, 2010, 07:23:35 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Some nice ideas there, but cost-effectiveness would have to be researched.

And RE No. 3: As a STH, if the club started sending me unsolicited text messages I'd get very dischuffed very quickly. Not a good idea.

Goldthorpe Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 25, 2010, 09:58:13 pm by Goldthorpe Rover »
Give that man a job in er...marketing. If the foolwits in marketing only used 50% of this guys ideas we would see numerous benefits in a very short time.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012