Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 11:44:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: John Oster Last Night  (Read 7932 times)

smitiai

• Forum Member
John Oster Last Night
« on October 29, 2010, 01:38:19 pm by smitiai »
Afternoon all.

Last night I had to call at the Apple Store at Meadowhall. While in there who was I stood next to in the queue no other than our own John Oster and his mate.

Seizing on the opportunity to congratulate him on another great game in the hoops. I turned and said.. 'You played well again John, your having a great season so far'. To his abrupt and none interested reply 'Thanks'..

Unperturbed by his arsey response. I tried another tack with him.. this time i said.. 'All the team are playing well. if we continue, do you think we have a chance of going up.?? Slightly different abrupt none interested response this time.. 'Yeah'..

Jesus i wasn't trying to interrogate the guy, i was just passing the time in the shop queue. Its not like we pay his wages with our season tickets is it....

I came away from Meadowhall thinking what a ignorant tw*t John Oster was...  I couldn't believe that a player wearing the hoops could be so rude.. i thought they where made to be professional in the community
.?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Uredz

• Forum Member
Re:John Oster Last Night
« Reply #1 on October 29, 2010, 02:00:18 pm by Uredz »
Its just a fact of life unfortunately, no matter what we do in life or what job we do, there are still arrogant tw@ts that walk amongst us.

Maybe he was having an off day who knows, quite simply he didnt want to be interrupted.

Maybe his bird declined his advances the previous night.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 29, 2010, 02:04:13 pm by Filo »
He can be as arrogant as he wants as long as he keeps doing the stuff on the pitch!

george-friend

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 29, 2010, 02:04:20 pm by george-friend »
Maybe he did not want to be noticed by too many
maybe he was having a off day
maybe he is a ignorant git

who knows ?

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 29, 2010, 02:07:15 pm by 5minstogo »
Maybe he just wanted to go shopping.

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 29, 2010, 02:09:21 pm by Rovers Return »
I was on Waterloo Station yesterday and had the good fortune of witnessing Gary Linekar attempting to purchase a newspaper. It must have taken Mr Linekar 20 minutes to carry out the transaction and finally leave to catch his train. He was stopped endlessly for photographs, although he had a somewhat glazed appearance at times he never refused one and appeared polite to all that stopped him.

Uredz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 29, 2010, 02:10:48 pm by Uredz »
Rovers Return wrote:
I was on Waterloo Station yesterday and had the good fortune of witnessing Gary Linekar attempting to purchase a newspaper. It must have taken Mr Linekar 20 minutes to carry out the transaction and finally leave to catch his train. He was stopped endlessly for photographs, although he had a somewhat glazed appearance at times he never refused one and appeared polite to all that stopped him.

Its because he is a rich tw@t lol

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 29, 2010, 02:14:13 pm by The Red Baron »
smitiai wrote:
Afternoon all.

Last night I had to call at the Apple Store at Meadowhall. While in there who was I stood next to in the queue no other than our own John Oster and his mate.

Seizing on the opportunity to congratulate him on another great game in the hoops. I turned and said.. 'You played well again John, your having a great season so far'. To his abrupt and none interested reply 'Thanks'..

Unperturbed by his arsey response. I tried another tack with him.. this time i said.. 'All the team are playing well. if we continue, do you think we have a chance of going up.?? Slightly different abrupt none interested response this time.. 'Yeah'..

Jesus i wasn't trying to interrogate the guy, i was just passing the time in the shop queue. Its not like we pay his wages with our season tickets is it....

I came away from Meadowhall thinking what a ignorant tw*t John Oster was...  I couldn't believe that a player wearing the hoops could be so rude.. i thought they where made to be professional in the community
.?

You've just blown his cover- no wonder he was arsey!

But seriously- I have always tried to avoid meeting my heroes in the flesh as I'm aware it can be a disappointment. So long as they do their stuff on the pitch, they're fine by me.

Having said that, the few I have met have turned out to be true gents- eg the Snodins, Peter Kitchen.

London_Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 29, 2010, 02:16:40 pm by London_Rover »
I saw Mr Savage of Derby get out of his car 3 or 4 times so that people could take pictures etc.  He was polite and friendly too.  Yet, people still moan about him.

These 'celebs' can't win either way.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 29, 2010, 02:18:31 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
If I was as minted as Mr Oster, I wouldn't give the time of day to any of you scumbags either.  :kiss:

george-friend

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 29, 2010, 02:20:17 pm by george-friend »
smitiai wrote:
Afternoon all.

.?

i came across heffernan and he was the most ignorant person i have ever met.   couple of years back now though.

smitiai

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 29, 2010, 02:21:56 pm by smitiai »
Maybe he was having off day... although i would love to have off days if i was paid to do something i love, plus with the added bonus of X thousand per week.

He could have been p1ssed off that the guy in the Apple store was making him wait..

whatever it was it doesn't cost to be polite.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 29, 2010, 02:22:20 pm by Filo »
george-friend wrote:
smitiai wrote:
Afternoon all.

.?

i came across heffernan and he was the most ignorant person i have ever met.   couple of years back now though.

You dirty git, i`m not surprised he was n`t happy  :)

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 29, 2010, 02:47:29 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »
I was at a Warwickshire T20 match last year, and got to meet Neil Carter my all time cricketing hero...

Really nervous about him being a complete t**t, asked my mate to take a photo, he couldnt work the camera, so Neil Carter started having a dig at my mate's drinking ability (referring to the \"2% s**t they try and sell here for 10 quid\") then having a right old laugh with myself about Ian Bell being ugly and ginger, none the less I think even more of the guy now!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 29, 2010, 03:56:26 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
smitiai wrote:
Afternoon all.

.?

Rude? You think that's rude?

Did he ignore you? No.

Did he tell you to piss off? No.

Did he answer your questions? Yes.

Apparently he was rude because he wasn't matey enough for you.

Grow up.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 29, 2010, 04:18:30 pm by DonnyNoel »
Not met many Rovers players in my time - like someone mentions above it's not always best to meet your heroes, they might turn out to be human after all.

Could be a dozen reasons why he was like that. Not that I'm famous but when a stranger starts talking to me at a bus stop or in the supermarket queue I have to admit I don't always find conversation easy to come by.

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #16 on October 29, 2010, 04:20:23 pm by LongbridgeMGRover »
years ago, i used to sell 'golden goal' tickets, for which i got free entry into the ground, and i continued this til i was about 18. my 'patch' was the main stand, and after getting the tickets from the office, i had to go through the officials and players entrance.

some players were rude to the kids wanting autographs even then back in the 70s, brushing past them and being quite ignorant.

but if ever any youngster asked me for an autograph as i went in, i always obliged. i was serving the club and keeping the paying public happy - it came with the territory.

perhaps i should apologise to those who have a mystery player in their fading autograph collection.

Theresonly1barrowrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 29, 2010, 04:52:06 pm by Theresonly1barrowrover »
Some mates and I were in the 2 Palfreys many years ago, one mate went to the bog and came back looking very dejected, whats up with you we asked, I`ve just spoken to Alick Jeffrey he said, and guess what he said to me, \"whats up with you sonny\".

Our heroes are not always what we expect them to be!

Goldthorpe Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 29, 2010, 04:53:20 pm by Goldthorpe Rover »
Right thats it then we all start booing Oster on the pitch..not ;)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 29, 2010, 05:38:48 pm by The Red Baron »
One_Matty_Lucas wrote:
I was at a Warwickshire T20 match last year, and got to meet Neil Carter my all time cricketing hero...

Really nervous about him being a complete t**t, asked my mate to take a photo, he couldnt work the camera, so Neil Carter started having a dig at my mate's drinking ability (referring to the \"2% s**t they try and sell here for 10 quid\") then having a right old laugh with myself about Ian Bell being ugly and ginger, none the less I think even more of the guy now!

Blimey Matt- another Bear on this forum! This season's \"Great Escape\" in the Championship reminded me of Rovers from Christmas onwards in 2008/9. And we finished with a trophy as well!

Neil Carter played the best innings I saw live this season- his 99 not out against Notts. He reined himself in for most of it then cut loose brilliantly at the end- and he was up against Sidebottom and Broad. Just a shame that Boyd Rankin went and ran himself out, thus denying Carts a ton he deserved many times over.

I saw Neil Carter on his debut in 2001 and I thought he couldn't bowl a hoop downhill! Just shows how wrong you can be.

Back to the original theme, I remember back in 1975 (during the first Cricket World Cup) encountering the Chappell brothers at close quarters. Ian was supposedly the abrasive one but he was a good laugh- telling us how he'd \"thrash the Poms\" but all with a smile on his face. Greg- at that time the golden boy of Aussie cricket-was a miserable b*gger. I suppose it explains how he became a vegan in later life!

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 29, 2010, 06:00:15 pm by Drover »
smitiai wrote:
Maybe he was having off day... although i would love to have off days if i was paid to do something i love, plus with the added bonus of X thousand per week.

He could have been p1ssed off that the guy in the Apple store was making him wait..

whatever it was it doesn't cost to be polite.

Did you not claim to know alot of inside information about Billy and what was happening during the days upto him signing for us.Someone even guessed you might be his new brother in law but you never replied to it(was you being ignorant or did you have an off day? :laugh:).Seriously though Are you from Sheffield?Would your contact/relative/workpal or who ever gave you the information about KingBilly not be able tell you alot about Oster too?

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 29, 2010, 06:25:17 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Or would you rather he'd fed you full of bull and made you look a t**t like that other Rovers player 'big mate' of yours.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 29, 2010, 06:26:22 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Oster has a bit of a reputation and tends to be very 'friendly' with the ladies and gives little time to blokes.

He lifted up a girls skirt in Donny once to her shock an horror, and he cam out with the old \"Do you know who I am?\"

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 29, 2010, 06:27:09 pm by WheatleyRover »
I saw Brian Stock at the Frenchgate last Christmas in the car park, he was queing to pay for his ticket with his wife and kid, i was in front of him in the que and i kept looking back think he noticed me looking, after i payed for my ticket walking back past the que i made eye contact with him and he spoke to me first and just said alright, i didnt make any conversation as he was with his family and just said you alright back, what a nice guy

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 29, 2010, 06:35:28 pm by mushRTID »
Seen loads of players out in town and been pissed, cant help myself from saying hello.

Jimmy is the nicest lad you will ever speak to and saw Billy at the end of last season in walkabout, he told me JR had told him that we could afford him. I was confident he would sign after that!

Lewis Guy told me he was going to score 20 goals at the start of the season we had just signed Bruce Dyer.  :laugh:

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 29, 2010, 07:43:38 pm by Red wizard »
I have spoke to a few of our players including Oster when he first signed. He seemed a nice bloke and we had a chat for about 5mins. Sam hird,Stocky,Chambo are often seen in Bawtry road esso. I just tend to say hello comment on the last game we have played and leave it at that.

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 29, 2010, 07:51:05 pm by Rovers Return »
george-friend wrote:
smitiai wrote:
Afternoon all.

.?

I came across Heffernan, out with Coppinger, Lewis Guy and Greeny after the play off final. I asked them for a photo with my two boys who were sporting the Rovers shirts. Copps, Greeny and Lewis duly obliged when it was Heffs turn he pretended to be on the phone. Lost all respect for him there and then. Copps by the way was taking the piss out of Greeny saying he was off to Rochdale. I thought to myself at the time 'many a true word spoken whilst pissed'. Before the start of the season he was gone, signed for Derby.

smitiai

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 29, 2010, 08:02:08 pm by smitiai »
Hello Drover.. Not Billy's Brother in Law. As for me Im from Doncaster, was brought up in Askern then moved to Leeds where i still live.  As for where sheffield comes into it.. I work for a law firm which has offices all over including Leeds and Sheffield.. Billy's pal is called Nick and he works in our sheffield office.

Keith Myath

« Reply #28 on October 29, 2010, 10:17:37 pm by Keith Myath »
Oster sounds the opposite of Wilson, I see Mark far too much and although we know each other to some degree as we must live near each other, a simple hello can quickly turn into what feels like im interviewing him on match of the day with the cameras over my shoulder, so in depth are his thoughts on the game, i wonder if he will turn to management. Great bloke mind.

In a bizarre twist i actually had a current Rovers player spot me while i was djing in Liverpool a few years back. He didn't know i was a donny fan, but new who i was from my djing in Ibiza. when i told him i was a Rovers fan he thought i was taking the piss and seemed to get annoyed with me repeatedly saying, \"no really, I am a rovers fan\", weird situation that.

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 29, 2010, 10:27:04 pm by BRMC_rover »
Suppose you'd be like that to an extent if you were a footballer. Iv heard stories about Oster from his days going out as a young footballer in Skeg. I wont divulge as I really like the player, but its just the actions of a cocky young footballer, got a bit of money and thus a bit of attitude. My friend who knows him though,always defends him by saying 'in fairness, the first thing John did when he got his big money move from Grimsby to Everton was pay off his mum and dad's mortgage. Fair play really. The rest comes down to personality.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012