Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 06:02:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: I've had a drink  (Read 4640 times)

Dickie Dido

• Forum Member
I've had a drink
« on October 30, 2010, 11:44:38 pm by Dickie Dido »
In't it time BST and his able side-kick Bob G took over from SOD and got Rovers to the Premier league, or what?
Surely the way forward is to base everything on statistics and, ignoring the last few months maybe it is time to go cap in hand to Sheffield Wednesday and beg for Heffernan back?
Just a thought!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BobG

• VSC Member
Re:I've had a drink
« Reply #1 on October 30, 2010, 11:58:56 pm by BobG »
Statistics, intellect and prejudices. That's the way to the Promised Land.

BobG

Dickie Dido

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 31, 2010, 12:03:44 am by Dickie Dido »
Thanks Bob, I suppose two out of three ain't bad!

Goldthorpe Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 31, 2010, 12:04:34 am by Goldthorpe Rover »
What are we moving back to the vue?

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 31, 2010, 12:06:31 am by Savvy »
BobG wrote:
Statistics, intellect and prejudices. That's the way to the Promised Land.

BobG

Please Uncle Bob, can we have another story from back in the day when things were good?

Boyhood dreams

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 31, 2010, 12:10:30 am by Boyhood dreams »
Forums are gud they keep the self important saved the club folks away from the board :ohmy:

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 31, 2010, 12:17:05 am by rtid88 »
Heffs is not Championship quality end of!! Forget him, why don't we get Leo and Blundell back at the same time, and while were at it what condition is Paul Barnes in at the minute!

Boyhood dreams

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 31, 2010, 12:23:11 am by Boyhood dreams »
rtid88 wrote:
Heffs is not Championship quality end of!! Forget him, why don't we get Leo and Blundell back at the same time, and while were at it what condition is Paul Barnes in at the minute!

Heffs was Championship quality. You dont score like he did if you arent.

The thing is, he's not played enough because of injuries and managers underestimating him.

Folk say hes not first choice at wendies and no clubs bid big for him  :laugh: but he banged them in and saved us. And he would do it again, if given the chance.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 31, 2010, 12:29:58 am by rtid88 »
No he would'nt, he scored 9 goals in the season we came up but did not do anything at all last season. He does not do enough work for the team, which in any SOD team is essential, did you see him for Wendies against Chesterfield in the Johnstone Paint the other week, he looked like a player with no interest in the game and that he would not hit a barn door and also missed a penalty, thats why he is not in the 1st team for them. Heffs is simply not the answer, move on!!

Chrisd_123

« Reply #9 on October 31, 2010, 12:32:23 am by Chrisd_123 »
Boyhood dreams wrote:
rtid88 wrote:

The thing is, he's not played enough because of injuries and managers underestimating him.

Folk say hes not first choice at wendies and no clubs bid big for him  :laugh: but he banged them in and saved us. And he would do it again, if given the chance.

He was given enough chances last season and he blew it. Heffs is past it now and will never be championship quality again. Everyone keeps saying they want Heffs back but if he was here then surely he'd be playing in the middle of the front 3...so, Heffs or Billy? Heffs had one good spell in the championship and was our best striker out of a very poor strike force.

Boyhood dreams

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 31, 2010, 12:32:28 am by Boyhood dreams »
rtid88 wrote:
No he would'nt, he scored 9 goals in the season we came up but did not do anything at all last season. He does not do enough work for the team, which in any SOD team is essential, did you see him for Wendies against Chesterfield in the Johnstone Paint the other week, he looked like a player with no interest in the game and that he would not hit a barn door and also missed a penalty, thats why he is not in the 1st team for them. Heffs is simply not the answer, move on!!

So why was he banging them in and saved us the other year? Have you ever thought that by doing what he did and still to get dropped disheartened him?

You cant deny that he did it in the Championship.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 31, 2010, 12:32:38 am by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Dickie Dido wrote:
I've had a drink

Carling?  B)

Boyhood dreams

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 31, 2010, 12:34:29 am by Boyhood dreams »
Chrisd_123 wrote:
Boyhood dreams wrote:
rtid88 wrote:

He was given enough chances last season and he blew it. Heffs is past it now and will never be championship quality again. Everyone keeps saying they want Heffs back but if he was here then surely he'd be playing in the middle of the front 3...so, Heffs or Billy? Heffs had one good spell in the championship and was our best striker out of a very poor strike force.

I think that he gave his best, succeeded and got his heart ripped out.

I'd be ruined if I did what Heffs did and still got dropped.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 31, 2010, 12:35:07 am by rtid88 »
For one season when the team itself was on the up! Darren Byfield scored the same for Bristol City the season before we signed him, is he Championship quality?!?!?..... no!!

Boyhood dreams

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 31, 2010, 12:46:13 am by Boyhood dreams »
rtid88 wrote:
For one season when the team itself was on the up! Darren Byfield scored the same for Bristol City the season before we signed him, is he Championship quality?!?!?..... no!!

Depends if he had a decent chance. Sharp scored less then 10 in over 50 games for blades, would you say he is at Championship quality at the time.

We play a style were any tom dick and harry can score hence we should concentrate on getting the defence right.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 31, 2010, 12:53:40 am by rtid88 »
Yeah clearly, so why do u think we need heffs back? if it's that easy to score why dont u volunteer urself to get a game, sure u cud do as Gud a job as Billy!! Agree with u about the defence though, simply not Gud enough!!

Boyhood dreams

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 31, 2010, 12:55:53 am by Boyhood dreams »
rtid88 wrote:
Yeah clearly, so why do u think we need heffs back? if it's that easy to score why dont u volunteer urself to get a game, sure u cud do as Gud a job as Billy!! Agree with u about the defence though, simply not Gud enough!!

I dont need to get a game, we score more than one frequently, which backs me up.

We will get goals, we need to sort out the defence.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 31, 2010, 12:59:55 am by rtid88 »
U said he wud 'save us given the chance' but then say we score enough goals and any Tom dick or Harry cud score in our team slight contradiction especially when heffs looked so poor for us last season! Maybe u want heffs to play in defence to sure that up?

Boyhood dreams

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 31, 2010, 01:05:29 am by Boyhood dreams »
rtid88 wrote:
U said he wud 'save us given the chance' but then say we score enough goals and any Tom dick or Harry cud score in our team slight contradiction especially when heffs looked so poor for us last season! Maybe u want heffs to play in defence to sure that up?

He saved us and would step upto the plate again is the context it was meant.

I dont think we need Billy; however it probably helped with our key players signing.

My fav player last seaon was Shackell, I'd rather we had got him and Ward rather than paying for Sharp as we can score at this level. We struggled in our first season to get goals, but SOD  has learnt and now we are more direct, we score at ease.

The fans demanded Sharp, I know, but if we had said no, we'd be showing now that we dont need him, and we'd have a better back line.

Only my opinion though.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 31, 2010, 01:10:01 am by rtid88 »
We dont need Sharp? U must be the only Rovers fan with that opinion? He is by far the best all round player I have seen in a rovers shirt in my life time and u don't think we need him!! Idiot!!!!

Boyhood dreams

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 31, 2010, 01:18:01 am by Boyhood dreams »
rtid88 wrote:
We dont need Sharp? U must be the only Rovers fan with that opinion? He is by far the best all round player I have seen in a rovers shirt in my life time and u don't think we need him!! Idiot!!!!

I dont think we need him. He stepped in when we changed our style, we went more direct.

Can we score without Billy?

Can we defend without decent centre backs?

You might think we need Billy, but Hayter et al can do it if played as strikers.

I'm glad we got Billy, but £1 million should have been to strengthen the back. We have a chuffing right back at centre halve. It also stops JOC being a bloody good attacking force playing CH.

People think about our first season in the Championship when thinking we are dependent on Billy, but since SOD changed styles slightly, we've scored.

I honestly think we'd be fine without Billy.

Boyhood dreams

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 31, 2010, 01:20:24 am by Boyhood dreams »
Boyhood dreams wrote:
rtid88 wrote:

He saved us and would step upto the plate again is the context it was meant.

I dont think we need Billy; however it probably helped with our key players signing.

My fav player last seaon was Shackell, I'd rather we had got him and Ward rather than paying for Sharp as we can score at this level. We struggled in our first season to get goals, but SOD  has learnt and now we are more direct, we score at ease.

The fans demanded Sharp, I know, but if we had said no, we'd be showing now that we dont need him, and we'd have a better back line.

Only my opinion though.

Did we score 3 without Billy today?

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 31, 2010, 01:33:46 am by rtid88 »
Did we score 3 without Paul Heffernan? How many goals have Norwich conceded with ward in the team, how many goals of Barnsley conceded with Shackell in the team, they were out two main targets! Billy Sharp is one of the best all round strikers in this league, we needed him and a great defender at the start of the season but for some reason SOD though Thomas was enough and I imagine now knows he made a mistake on that front! But to say we do not need Billy sharp is a ridiculous statement!! I rate hayter highly but in the 3 seasons we have had him he has not been a consistent goalscorer!!

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 31, 2010, 01:35:21 am by rtid88 »
May I just ask, who do u have as ur profile picture?

Boyhood dreams

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 31, 2010, 01:39:01 am by Boyhood dreams »
rtid88 wrote:
Did we score 3 without Paul Heffernan? How many goals have Norwich conceded with ward in the team, how many goals of Barnsley conceded with Shackell in the team, they were out two main targets! Billy Sharp is one of the best all round strikers in this league, we needed him and a great defender at the start of the season but for some reason SOD though Thomas was enough and I imagine now knows he made a mistake on that front! But to say we do not need Billy sharp is a ridiculous statement!! I rate hayter highly but in the 3 seasons we have had him he has not been a consistent goalscorer!!

How many clean sheets we kept in the past with good centre halves.

It's unfair to say, how many have Norwich conceded, Barnsley conceded because of one of their players that strengthened us.

They could conceded five a game at their respective clubs, but they work well here under our manager and tactics.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 31, 2010, 01:41:57 am by rtid88 »
I don't know u tell me how many clean sheets we kept with 'good centre halfs' whoever they are?

Boyhood dreams

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 31, 2010, 01:44:22 am by Boyhood dreams »
rtid88 wrote:
I don't know u tell me how many clean sheets we kept with 'good centre halfs' whoever they are?

Look back over the last few seasons, we've kept plenty of clean sheets. We've had a remarkable record of clean sheets since SOD came here.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 31, 2010, 08:28:31 am by CusworthRovers »
Are you BST's slightly less intelligent love child?

Consider this:

First season with Mills. We (the defence) were spoilt the first season with our formation, as we did not concede many. You need to consider that we played 5 in midfield and totally protected the back 4. Don't take my word for it, even Sean stated the same, as it was out first season in the CCC and he wanted to protect as he didn't know how hard it would be or how good we were. That first season was total consolidation and do not concede. The trouble was we were not scoring and had to score goals, else we would have gone down

Second season with Shack. We conceded more goals in games and over the season and some right shite ones too. Admittedly Shack was immense in the air and commanding, but I would suggest the midfield was not as protective and was often swapped and changed. But also note we were now scoring goals, as we seemed more attack minded.

Third season..........early days yet, but we are conceding and we are also scoring. Are we going the same way as season 2?. Personally, I do not feel Sean is playing is desired back 4, until that happens and they get a decent run, I feel it's harsh to be critical.

As for bring back Heffs and we don't need Sharp, I'm not even going to waste my typing fingers.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on October 31, 2010, 08:56:00 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Dickie Dido wrote:
In't it time BST and his able side-kick Bob G took over from SOD and got Rovers to the Premier league, or what?
Surely the way forward is to base everything on statistics and, ignoring the last few months maybe it is time to go cap in hand to Sheffield Wednesday and beg for Heffernan back?
Just a thought!

Does having a drink you into a bell end? They never told me THAT at school.

Christ. My apologies to everyone I've come across on Friday and Satdi neets these past 25 years.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 31, 2010, 10:38:28 am by MrFrost »
Heffernan was good enough at this level. He proved it by having a better goals to game ratio than Sharp in our first season back at this level.

Having said that, for what ever reason SOD didn't want him involved last year. That doesn't make him a bad footballer over night, and for what ever reason he isn't getting a look in at Wednesday which is a shame.

We do need Sharp. Without him, we currently have one striker fit at the club.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012