Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 08, 2024, 10:00:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets hear your snow reports then ?  (Read 27686 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re:Lets hear your snow reports then ?
« Reply #120 on December 01, 2010, 10:13:40 pm by Filo »
DRFC85 wrote:
BobG wrote:
I may not have got this right Oslo, but how does it snow at the North and South poles? I rather think they're always bloody cold!

It rarely does, the North and South poles are classed as deserts in terms of precipitation… the south pole generally gets less than 4 inches a year, but as the temperature never rises above freezing, snow that does fall will settle and stay frozen for thousands of years, hence why the ice caps are hundreds of metres thick.

I think Scott of the Antarctic and his mates had more than 4 inches of snow, in fact it covered their tent!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on December 02, 2010, 06:26:27 am by Donnywolf »
DRFC85 wrote:
BobG wrote:
I may not have got this right Oslo, but how does it snow at the North and South poles? I rather think they're always bloody cold!

It rarely does, the North and South poles are classed as deserts in terms of precipitation… the south pole generally gets less than 4 inches a year, but as the temperature never rises above freezing, snow that does fall will settle and stay frozen for thousands of years, hence why the ice caps are hundreds of metres thick.

...and explained via The One Show last night. Question \"is it true it can be too cold to snow?\"

Starts at 26 minutes or so

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wf73k/The_One_Show_01_12_2010/

RoversDave

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on December 02, 2010, 07:01:57 am by RoversDave »
Filo wrote:
DRFC85 wrote:
BobG wrote:

I think Scott of the Antarctic and his mates had more than 4 inches of snow, in fact it covered their tent!

I think it means 4 inches of \"rain\", which equates to 1 inch of rain to 12 inches of snow. I'm just glad we have Global Warming these days!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on December 02, 2010, 07:26:48 am by Filo »
And the snow keeps falling, another 2-3 inches overnight in Stainforth!

en aitch

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on December 02, 2010, 08:04:09 am by en aitch »
As I had an emergency last night (well 2am) and had to visit father-in-law at DRI I was forced into moving the car.

Off the estate it was fine - parked in the A&E Car Park .... got back home at 4am no worries.

Because that was easy I set off for Normanton at 06.40 .... normally i'd go from Barnby Dun via Moss road, Askern, A19 & M62 but today I opted for the M18 from Jcn 4 up to the M62 .... near Jcn 5 (M180 but they call it the Stainforth Jcn) the snow was horrendous, there was a wagon stuck on the exit slip but the road itself was Ok.

There are about 4 out of 40 here - but the conditions in Normanton are much better than Doncaster, apart from the fact that it is Normanton.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on December 02, 2010, 08:14:12 am by Filo »
en aitch wrote:
As I had an emergency last night (well 2am) and had to visit father-in-law at DRI I was forced into moving the car.

Off the estate it was fine - parked in the A&E Car Park .... got back home at 4am no worries.

Because that was easy I set off for Normanton at 06.40 .... normally i'd go from Barnby Dun via Moss road, Askern, A19 & M62 but today I opted for the M18 from Jcn 4 up to the M62 .... near Jcn 5 (M180 but they call it the Stainforth Jcn) the snow was horrendous, there was a wagon stuck on the exit slip but the road itself was Ok.

There are about 4 out of 40 here - but the conditions in Normanton are much better than Doncaster, apart from the fact that it is Normanton.

M180 junction, as the crow flies is about 3/4 of a mile from my house, so I can well understand the snow being bad there judging on what we`ve had here

GM-MarkB

« Reply #126 on December 02, 2010, 08:35:20 am by GM-MarkB »
Cantley.....snowing.....again  :(

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on December 02, 2010, 09:10:17 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
en aitch wrote:

Our office moves to Normanton soon, glad to here it's a nice place :D

Work from home day again today, meh.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #128 on December 02, 2010, 09:33:10 am by CusworthRovers »
Snowing in Cussie now (Cussie Hill here I come). It's forecasted for the day all over Donny, and Sth Yorks looks like being the worst hit area again. It's like Narnia up here. I understand however from the headlines it's cold in London.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on December 02, 2010, 09:52:47 am by River Don »
RoversDave wrote:
Filo wrote:
DRFC85 wrote:
BobG wrote:

I think it means 4 inches of \"rain\", which equates to 1 inch of rain to 12 inches of snow. I'm just glad we have Global Warming these days!

Believe it or not this year is shaping up to be one of the warmest years on record globally. :S There is a difference between climate and weather.

The news explained a theory we might be in for a few bad winters, the reason being there has been a lot of melting of the ice cap recently and they think all that fresh water entering the Northern oceans may be having an effect on the weather.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #130 on December 02, 2010, 10:31:13 am by Dagenham Rover »
River Don wrote:
RoversDave wrote:
Filo wrote:
DRFC85 wrote:
BobG wrote:

Believe it or not this year is shaping up to be one of the warmest years on record globally. :S There is a difference between climate and weather.

The news explained a theory we might be in for a few bad winters, the reason being there has been a lot of melting of the ice cap recently and they think all that fresh water entering the Northern oceans may be having an effect on the weather.

So its all down to global warming then  :P

GM-MarkB

« Reply #131 on December 02, 2010, 10:42:36 am by GM-MarkB »
Dug on of the cars out, managed to get off the cul-de-sac and been on a mercy dash to the Asda. We have a few elderly neighbours so we've done our bit with a bread and milk run.

Once onto Everigham Road it's not too bad. Bawtry Road is clear.

Asda car park is all slush and mucky snow.

Plenty of milk and they were putting out more bread (baked on site) about 45 mins ago

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on December 02, 2010, 11:03:23 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Tesco, Edenthorpe was empty when I went over this morning.  There was two delivery wagons in the queue, the only noticeable thing was that bits of veg were empty and milk was quite short in supply aswell.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on December 02, 2010, 11:15:16 am by Viking Don »
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Viking Don wrote:
Filo wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Leaving the house in Bentley in 10 mins to treck to Cleckheaton, then Morley, then Fulford in York.

Dont get those who think they cant travel a couple of miles across town to get to work to be honest.

It`s called being sensible, that couple of miles could be someones life, in the present road conditions you must be stark raving mad to go out and travel that far, or you`re just too tight to have a day off work. My bet is you`ll struggle to get there!

Is there just a small part of anyone else who hopes ThinWhiteDick struggles to get back?

Home safe and sound thanks. Sorry to dissapoint you retard.

It's 'disappoint' actually Thinwhitedick. You should really learn to spell, especially when calling someone a retard.

Please tell me you had such fun yesterday that you're going to be venturing out on an even longer journey today. Go on, give us hope.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on December 02, 2010, 02:27:40 pm by TheFunk »
He once had a go at me for a spelling mistake and in doing so he made two himself.  :lol:

donnyjay

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on December 02, 2010, 02:52:19 pm by donnyjay »
I spent 2 1/2 hours this morning clearing a path to the top of my road. Done a bit of shopping then spent another hour shoveling snow trying to get back from the top of the road down to my drive.

In the end thought 'f**k it', left the van at the top of the road and walked it back down.

Usually I'm a bit of a lazy bas**rd so all this hard work has nearly killed me. I'm off for a long soak in a Radox bubble bath.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on December 02, 2010, 03:07:07 pm by Nudga »
I don't get it when these old fella's round my street are out shovelling snow off their drive and surrounding path, only for it to snow again over the top ten minutes later. Whats the point? the street is still bloody full of it. See, i've left the snow well alone and i've been out and about loads of times, not been stuck once. It pisses me right off when I see pillocks reving the arse off their cars in first gear and getting nowhere fast. It's all about technique thickos, less gas, take it nice and steady and you'll be out no bother. And if you do get stuck, drop it in second gear, and put full lock on both ways until the tyres grab. Simples. IT'S ONLY FECKIN SNOW FFS...........rant over.

gillinghamrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #137 on December 02, 2010, 03:21:23 pm by gillinghamrover »
Nudga wrote:
It pisses me right off when I see pillocks reving the arse off their cars in first gear and getting nowhere fast. It's all about technique thickos, less gas, take it nice and steady and you'll be out no bother. And if you do get stuck, drop it in second gear, and put full lock on both ways until the tyres grab. Simples. IT'S ONLY FECKIN SNOW FFS...........rant over.

Nail on the head there Nudga, most people in the UK do not know how to drive in these conditions we`re having at the moment.

colredrovers

« Reply #138 on December 02, 2010, 05:03:57 pm by colredrovers »

donnyjay

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on December 02, 2010, 05:06:22 pm by donnyjay »
Now I've got the van at the top of the road I've got another dilemma.
 Do I phone work and tell them I'm available tomorrow or do I stay up all night listening to The Ashes with a nice bottle of wine and pretend I'm still snowed in.

It's a tough choice. Now where did I put that corkscrew?

Sandy Lane

• VSC Member
« Reply #140 on December 03, 2010, 09:19:51 pm by Sandy Lane »
Sheesh, what a week! I've been a bit unlucky with the weather and match, but did arrive all right earlier in the week.  London got some snow, but not too bad and things were more or less open and working with some minor tube delays where I am.  I felt bad for you all up North as it sounded like you were clobbered.  Hope all is getting back to normal by now.  But how did it manage to snow in the forum then??  ;)  Maybe next time will be able to make a match tho.

donnywhitegaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on December 05, 2010, 01:34:22 pm by donnywhitegaz »
well quite a thread,some tales on here,who would of thought 6 days later its still no better,some of the snow is like its just fell,still around 2 inch of solid compact stuff on the side roads,it its melting underneath at a fair rate though at last all ready for me to start my new job tomorrow  :angry:  :laugh:  take care all its still not nice to drive and walk in

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #142 on December 05, 2010, 01:44:52 pm by Filo »
Some side roads are like driving over a ploughed field with the compact ice and snow, driving conditions on these roads are slowly improving though

donnywhitegaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on December 05, 2010, 01:48:09 pm by donnywhitegaz »
im sure there will be a few cars with damaged suspensions,its like farm tracks out there with great big ruts in and people are just driving over it like its not there  :laugh:  only just off the main road and its a bus route but not see sight of a gritter or plough yet  :laugh:

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #144 on December 05, 2010, 03:24:33 pm by DonnyRTID »
Gritters have been down our road today, not before time kids have been ice skating on it for the last 2 days.
Where in Woodlands are you from Gaz?.

donnywhitegaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on December 05, 2010, 03:29:22 pm by donnywhitegaz »
squares for my sins,bought here 12 yr ago now,much improved of late,the crescent is just like a farm track,no real sign of the road yet  :laugh:

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #146 on December 05, 2010, 03:41:17 pm by DonnyRTID »
Someones got to live there i suppose, only kidding.
I live at Woodlands East.

donnywhitegaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on December 05, 2010, 03:45:01 pm by donnywhitegaz »
chances are i may have worked with you,cleaned your windows or bumped into you in some form  :laugh:  :laugh:   i get about  :laugh:

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #148 on December 05, 2010, 04:00:16 pm by DonnyRTID »
Well it is a small world. Wouldn't fancy cleaning windows in this weather though, don't blame you for getting a new job.

donnywhitegaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on December 05, 2010, 04:14:49 pm by donnywhitegaz »
couple of years back now  :laugh:  nice in the summer,not good in the winter  :angry:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012