Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 08, 2024, 10:50:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets hear your snow reports then ?  (Read 27689 times)

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
Re:Lets hear your snow reports then ?
« Reply #90 on December 01, 2010, 05:03:01 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »
Just had a tiny bit in Paris. All my collegues here have seen the photos from this thread and now think Doncaster is Arctic!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on December 01, 2010, 05:12:55 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Viking Don wrote:
Filo wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Leaving the house in Bentley in 10 mins to treck to Cleckheaton, then Morley, then Fulford in York.

Dont get those who think they cant travel a couple of miles across town to get to work to be honest.

It`s called being sensible, that couple of miles could be someones life, in the present road conditions you must be stark raving mad to go out and travel that far, or you`re just too tight to have a day off work. My bet is you`ll struggle to get there!

Is there just a small part of anyone else who hopes ThinWhiteDick struggles to get back?

Home safe and sound thanks. Sorry to dissapoint you retard.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on December 01, 2010, 05:16:33 pm by DearneValleyRover »
If the forcasts carry on being correct it isn't so much the snowfall but the very low temps that are to follow that will compound things as ice on top of the accumulation is going to be lethal.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on December 01, 2010, 05:18:03 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Nudga wrote:
Faggots, i've just driven back from Leeds no bother.

Exactly....hardly a problem on the major routes. Some people will use any excuse to take a day off work.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on December 01, 2010, 05:20:01 pm by silent majority »
These cars aren't going anywhere fast, Belton area!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on December 01, 2010, 05:23:08 pm by MrFrost »
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Nudga wrote:

Exactly....hardly a problem on the major routes. Some people will use any excuse to take a day off work.

Hardly an excuse. It has been physically impossible for anyone to drive out of our estate today. Wheels are just spinning. I don't deny that the main routes will be ok, but its getting there that is the problem. With no public transport, what are people meant to do.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on December 01, 2010, 05:24:01 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Talking about -11 tonight brrrrrrrrrr.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on December 01, 2010, 05:29:16 pm by DearneValleyRover »
If you can get to work you should but only if it's safe, not only for yourself but other road user's, pedestrians and rescue workers if there is the possibilty of getting stuck. Work from home if you have the option, each one of us makes our own decision based on circumstances, there is no right or wrong so stop bloody argueing. :cry:

drfc_burton_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on December 01, 2010, 05:32:17 pm by drfc_burton_drfc »
MrFrost wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Nudga wrote:

Hardly an excuse. It has been physically impossible for anyone to drive out of our estate today. Wheels are just spinning. I don't deny that the main routes will be ok, but its getting there that is the problem. With no public transport, what are people meant to do.

same as me today wheels just been spinning so what am i ment to do ?? The A1 is clear but got 10 mile on back roads when i come off the A1 so is it worth takeing the risk anyone know what sherburn-in-elmet is like ??

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on December 01, 2010, 05:32:52 pm by Filo »
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Nudga wrote:

How can you say that when everyones location and circumstances are different?

Me for example drive Taxi`s the majority of our driving is on side streets that have n`t been cleared and have lots of parked cars on them, it`s neither safe for me or any pedestrians and customers to be driving around those areas, so we don`t work or get paid!

Another example, my daughter has just passed her test, she drives a Ford Ka, it`s outside of our house up to the wheel arches in snow, it scared the living daylights out of her driving home last night. It`s 7-8 miles to where she works of which 2.5 miles of that is the road between Stainforth and Barnby Dunn, total darkness! When she rang work to inform them she could n`t get in because there`s no public transport running, she was told to walk to work, they expect a 22 year old woman to walk 7-8 miles of which 2.5 miles is down a dark road, but hey she`s a lazy t**t eh?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on December 01, 2010, 05:35:34 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Stop fecking argueing, You both have valid reasons for taking the actions you have, now post some more christmas pictures please  :)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on December 01, 2010, 05:36:09 pm by MrFrost »
Filo wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Nudga wrote:

Me for example drive Taxi`s the majority of our driving is on side streets that have n`t been cleared and have lots of parked cars on them, it`s neither safe for me or any pedestrians and customers to be driving around those areas, so we don`t work or get paid!

Another example, my daughter has just passed her test, she drives a Ford Ka, it`s outside of our house up to the wheel arches in snow, it scared the living daylights out of her driving home last night. It`s 7-8 miles to where she works of which 2.5 miles of that is the road between Stainforth and Barnby Dunn, total darkness! When she rang work to inform them she could n`t get in because there`s no public transport running, she was told to walk to work, they expect a 22 year old woman to walk 7-8 miles of which 2.5 miles is down a dark road, but hey she`s a lazy t**t eh?

They wanted her to walk? Were they actually being serious?
Having said that, I know someone who works at a call centre at Dearne Valley and was told if his job meant that much to him he would walk there.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on December 01, 2010, 05:38:36 pm by Filo »
MrFrost wrote:
Filo wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Nudga wrote:

Having said that, I know someone who works at a call centre at Dearne Valley and was told if his job meant that much to him he would walk there.

They certainly were, she would n`t repeat what I told her to tell them!

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on December 01, 2010, 05:40:08 pm by scuzzer »
This was Mansfield this morning and we've had another chunk today, can't wait to try and get home in it tonight.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on December 01, 2010, 05:41:03 pm by DearneValleyRover »
MrFrost wrote:
Filo wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Nudga wrote:

Then what choice did they have? In Nudga's case I know the problems his industry are having and the perilous state of jobs. Some people don't have a choice others do, I'm lucky I can work from home.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on December 01, 2010, 05:41:09 pm by mushRTID »
I needed to get to work this morning but thought I would get stuck.

At lunchtime I thought I would give it a go, the same time as a neighbour was trying to. His wheels were just spinning and we had to push him back! The cul-de-sac was completely snowed in. But forget that, the main routes were ok.

drfc_burton_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on December 01, 2010, 05:49:59 pm by drfc_burton_drfc »
no one knows what it is like in castleford then ??

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on December 01, 2010, 05:50:50 pm by River Don »
DearneValleyRover wrote:
MrFrost wrote:
Filo wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Nudga wrote:

Then what choice did they have? In Nudga's case I know the problems his industry are having and the perilous state of jobs. Some people don't have a choice others do, I'm lucky I can work from home.

Average walking speed is 3.5mph. A 7-8 mile journey is going to be a 5 hour round trip then, and there is deep snow and slippy surfaces and sub zero temperatures, so it's going to take longer. They certainly demand some serious commitment from their employees don't they?

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on December 01, 2010, 05:51:46 pm by scuzzer »
Isn't it always shit in Castleford, whatever the weather's like?

Mark DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on December 01, 2010, 06:00:10 pm by Mark DRFC »
Our lass works in Castleford, she worked from home today, our road was passable i set off to work at 7.15 got there to B&Q at 8.05 got logged onto my pc for my boss to ring and say noone else is coming in, i was the only one and the office is closed for the day.....

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on December 01, 2010, 06:04:43 pm by DearneValleyRover »
River Don wrote:
DearneValleyRover wrote:
MrFrost wrote:
Filo wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Nudga wrote:

Average walking speed is 3.5mph. A 7-8 mile journey is going to be a 5 hour round trip then, and there is deep snow and slippy surfaces and sub zero temperatures, so it's going to take longer. They certainly demand some serious commitment from their employees don't they?

I'm not argueing River Don, just stating that there is no right or wrong in people's decisions. Do I think it's wrong for employer's to expect people to walk for 5 hours in this weather, yes and if there was an incident arising from it I'm sure the HSE under Duty of Care will do to.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on December 01, 2010, 07:10:36 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It took me 40 mins to walk the 3 miles to work this morning, only to find I was one of six, out of about 150, who made it in. We were sent straight home.

Just had a call to say we are expected to try to get in tomorrow. Not worth risking the car as the works car park has not been touched.

It's all part of the fun.

Highland Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on December 01, 2010, 07:15:03 pm by Highland Rover »
Had snow for over a week now , temp last night -13 !!

Given up trying to get to work in Inverness as roads are treacherous and problems on trains mainly due to frozen points

Great for all you skiers though , resorts all opening early

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on December 01, 2010, 07:29:20 pm by not on facebook »
cant belive the problems the snow is causing back in uk.

suppose in bightys defence the home gaurd is just not geared upto
sudden downfall of massive snow or cold temps.

been out here 15years and never known oslo airport close down due
to snow.

when it does snow,late at night there is a army of tractors
ploughing away the snow all over the place,all getting all roads/walkways
clear and salted for early morning.

if the snow keeps on comming down,the trators just carry on.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on December 01, 2010, 07:31:24 pm by mushRTID »
oslorovers wrote:
cant belive the problems the snow is causing back in uk.

suppose in bightys defence the home gaurd is just not geared upto
sudden downfall of massive snow or cold temps.

been out here 15years and never known oslo airport close down due
to snow.

when it does snow,late at night there is a army of tractors
ploughing away the snow all over the place,all getting all roads/walkways
clear and salted for early morning.

if the snow keeps on comming down,the trators just carry on.

You'll have to stick some photos up for us mate!!!

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on December 01, 2010, 08:01:28 pm by not on facebook »
too cold for major snow falls at the moment.
but once the snow does fall i see what i can
put up for yers.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on December 01, 2010, 09:30:58 pm by MrFrost »
And still it snows.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #117 on December 01, 2010, 09:59:44 pm by BobG »
I may not have got this right Oslo, but how does it snow at the North and South poles? I rather think they're always bloody cold!

I've heard that idea before. I used to think it might be true. But it can't be, can it?

Cheers

BobG

DRFC85

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on December 01, 2010, 10:09:22 pm by DRFC85 »
BobG wrote:
I may not have got this right Oslo, but how does it snow at the North and South poles? I rather think they're always bloody cold!

It rarely does, the North and South poles are classed as deserts in terms of precipitation… the south pole generally gets less than 4 inches a year, but as the temperature never rises above freezing, snow that does fall will settle and stay frozen for thousands of years, hence why the ice caps are hundreds of metres thick.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on December 01, 2010, 10:13:16 pm by BobG »
Brilliant! Thank you 85. That's one of those stupid little things that has always puzzled me. You've cleared it up :) And sorry to doubt you Oslo too!

Cheers

BobG

TinyPortal © 2005-2012