Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 02:29:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: atmosphere yesterday  (Read 6920 times)

Boomstick

• Forum Member
atmosphere yesterday
« on March 20, 2011, 10:11:48 am by Boomstick »
:thumbdown:

We were playing top of the league, we've been decimated by injuries and we are at the wrong end of the table. You'd think we'd be able to get a bit of an atmos going, 12th man and all that. But no it was like a library, seriously. There was nothing ofered by the south stand, except some incessant drumming which served nothing apart from drowning out the five or so that were singing.
Please drummer, give it a rest or at least hand it to someone that knows what they are doing. I commend you for your efforts however.
There were a few dotted near me that were trying to stir the crowd, and they looked genuinely annoyed that 99% just dont give a f**k enough to support the club, the next game I'm standing and I'm going to show my support for the club, and b*llocks to anyone behind me. This is a footmall match not snooker, you know the risks.

end of rant.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

I-was-there1976

Re: atmosphere yesterday
« Reply #1 on March 20, 2011, 10:26:32 am by I-was-there1976 »
sssshhhhhhhhhhh   im reading

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 20, 2011, 11:09:46 am by Norfolk N Chance »
Totally agree.... laughable ... the kids seems genuinely embarassed to chant and almost take the piss!

Quote from: \"Boomstick\" post=147300
:thumbdown:

We were playing top of the league, we've been decimated by injuries and we are at the wrong end of the table. You'd think we'd be able to get a bit of an atmos going, 12th man and all that. But no it was like a library, seriously. There was nothing ofered by the south stand, except some incessant drumming which served nothing apart from drowning out the five or so that were singing.
Please drummer, give it a rest or at least hand it to someone that knows what they are doing. I commend you for your efforts however.
There were a few dotted near me that were trying to stir the crowd, and they looked genuinely annoyed that 99% just dont give a f**k enough to support the club, the next game I'm standing and I'm going to show my support for the club, and b*llocks to anyone behind me. This is a footmall match not snooker, you know the risks.

end of rant.

DonnyMark

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 20, 2011, 11:28:13 am by DonnyMark »
The south stand was pretty full yesterday for a change, but the atmosphere was worse than ever....I just hope that with the south stand being the cheapest seats next season it isnt the same bunch that will be sat in there as yesterday....:(

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 20, 2011, 11:32:50 am by Wellred »
yawn...................its been done to death

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 20, 2011, 11:35:35 am by Norfolk N Chance »
But spoils enjoyment and sure the players wonder why they bother ....they need the fans on side but even when we were near the goal hardly a verse of you reds.......

Very very sad indeed!

Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=147309

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 20, 2011, 12:05:42 pm by hoolahoop »
Yep it was very very poor. That has deffo been one of the quitest games in a long long time............why ??????

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 20, 2011, 12:09:43 pm by RTID75 »
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=147311
But spoils enjoyment and sure the players wonder why they bother ....they need the fans on side but even when we were near the goal hardly a verse of you reds.......

Very very sad indeed!

Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=147309

Yes, it has been done to death over many years now (going back to Belle Vue days) and it's clear by now that things aren't going to change from outside our normal 'atmosphere' boundaries. Some games we get going a bit, others we don't and I don't think anyone can get the answer as to 'why?' nailed down.

Yesterday we were running a still injury decimated side against the top of the league team. QPR were solid and very well organised and with the side we had to play against them we weren't good enough. I don't think there's any shame in admitting that and I don't think that a different atmosphere could have done much to change the result given the players available. I think a nil-nil draw would have been as good a result as we could have got from that game.

Whilst it's always nice to have an atmosphere (or as close as we get to one!), I'd argue that if the thousands of pounds a week that players are on is primarily what makes them 'bother' and there can be no real argument that they shouldn't bother if the crowd is a bit quiet.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 20, 2011, 12:15:53 pm by hoolahoop »
It's well known that sportsmen/women DO respond to a crowd and DO lift their game in any sport irrelevant of the money that they are paid.
I would therefore disagree with your stance on this point. Money is not always the prime motivator ............ask Billy Sharp.

shaun from thorne

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 20, 2011, 12:16:17 pm by shaun from thorne »
It might have been the new anthem they played before the game that made every body quiet.

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 20, 2011, 12:20:46 pm by RTID75 »
I have to admit that the new anthem worries me in so much as it's a good little tune, but I worry that after all the effort that has gone into making it no one is going to bother singing it. That'd be embarrassing, but not entirely unexpected...

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 20, 2011, 12:27:28 pm by hoolahoop »
Quote from: \"RTID75\" post=147318
I have to admit that the new anthem worries me in so much as it's a good little tune, but I worry that after all the effort that has gone into making it no one is going to bother singing it. That'd be embarrassing, but not entirely unexpected...

What do you expect from our 'can't be arsed' supporters, that's why after over 100 years we haven't already got one in place!
No Molly Malone isn't an anthem before that gets raised, this new song could be the the best song ever but would you succeed with it...........I wager NOT sadly. :(

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 20, 2011, 12:46:04 pm by RedJ »
I tried singing the RTID bit, but I got weird looks and was eventually shamed into shutting up. A guy sitting a few rows back from me regularly makes comments about how it's like a morgue. BFYP's right - it does ruin enjoyment when the atmosphere's shite.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 20, 2011, 12:52:36 pm by hoolahoop »
Ditto..........I won't be doing that again in a hurry. :)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 20, 2011, 12:56:36 pm by RedJ »
Ironically, the best atmosphere I can remember at home this season is towards the end of Ipswich when we all stood together at the back and sung.

The best one I remember at the Keepmoat is Southend.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 20, 2011, 01:28:03 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Quote from: \"shaun from thorne\" post=147317
It might have been the new anthem they played before the game that made every body quiet.

Presumably so they could hear it after the volume was turned down on it...AGAIN...:thumbdown:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 20, 2011, 01:53:20 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"Glyn_Wigley\" post=147325
Quote from: \"shaun from thorne\" post=147317

Presumably so they could hear it after the volume was turned down on it...AGAIN...:thumbdown:

Aye and the drummer boy decided to bang his drum for most of it as well, I think it shows most people don`t listen to the tannoy

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 20, 2011, 02:13:35 pm by benaldo »
I can only add that I think the tannoy is far too loud. Christ, that banal \"music\" that is served up at half time (apologies if it's the \"Rovers Rock Anthem\" or whatever it's called) is so loud I'm sure it's in the ear damaging range!?

Is it a poor attempt by the Rovers matchday staff to \"Enhance the matchday experience\" - to put it into their management nonsense? For me, I would like to see a return to the vikettes, some interesting half time activities on the pitch (instead of blaring crap music), and at least a little effort. In fact, why play music at all? The volume it is at at the moment is ridiculous and so loud that it's almost impossible to speak to the person next to you at times. If there was more singing from the confirmed super-supporters perhaps the volume increase at half time wouldn't be as harsh?

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 20, 2011, 05:47:10 pm by drfcsteve »
This is all a bit daft, you can't just invent an anthem out of no where and then expect everyone in the ground to automatically know all the words and sing it, I would guess 90 percent there yesterday had no idea what was being played and that it was supposed to be rovers \"anthem\".

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 20, 2011, 06:20:14 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Quote from: \"hoolahoop\" post=147319

No Molly Malone isn't an anthem before that gets raised

Why not? Seems to be the closest thing we have to one, even though it sadly seems to be dying out.

Boomstick: not having a go mate, but you obviously care about the atmosphere, so why don't you try and do something about it? i.e get a plan together and get something organised that'd help

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 20, 2011, 06:27:44 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Like I say I think its because people dont get pissed enough....seriously that why away fans always out sing home fans cos they have been on the sauce all day!

Quote from: \"Snods Shinpad 2\" post=147356
Quote from: \"hoolahoop\" post=147319

No Molly Malone isn't an anthem before that gets raised

Why not? Seems to be the closest thing we have to one, even though it sadly seems to be dying out.

Boomstick: not having a go mate, but you obviously care about the atmosphere, so why don't you try and do something about it? i.e get a plan together and get something organised that'd help

Rover By The Tyne

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 20, 2011, 07:40:33 pm by Rover By The Tyne »
The irony about the atmosphere yesterday is that it was crap on the whole but when the south stand sung in full voice it thought it was a unbelievable bit of noise. The potential to have that cracking atmosphere is there, there is just something not clicking and i can't put my finger on it. I'm off in SS next season, and i won't be siting down. I enjoy standing up much more anyway. Maybe if they made the SS unreserved it would help? and as I've mentioned before, re-naming it the KOP end may help instead of it being named after a sponsor.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 20, 2011, 08:21:29 pm by benaldo »
Quote from: \"Adam_DRFC\" post=147365
The irony about the atmosphere yesterday is that it was crap on the whole but when the south stand sung in full voice it thought it was a unbelievable bit of noise. The potential to have that cracking atmosphere is there, there is just something not clicking and i can't put my finger on it. I'm off in SS next season, and i won't be siting down. I enjoy standing up much more anyway. Maybe if they made the SS unreserved it would help? and as I've mentioned before, re-naming it the KOP end may help instead of it being named after a sponsor.

2 Things -

1) I hope you aren't going to stand up in front of someone who wants to sit down.

2) You could rename the stand the \"Big shouty singing stand for people who wish to chant slogans together with a tear in their eye....kop\" and it wouldn't alter the volume or amount of singing one little bit!

People don't \"sing\" because they don't want to. They don't have to. Might I suggest the singing fraternity get together at the local choral society and belt out some operatic numbers or something? I sometimes wonder if some people honestly believe that team can win a game while actually losing it because their fans sing louder than the oppositions. It's bizarre........ :unsure:    People are always moaning about the lack of singing and atmosphere at the ground but won't move from their seat to be near the regular singing fans (who from my seat at the halfway line in the east stand appear to be in the north west corner).

Rover By The Tyne

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 20, 2011, 08:41:30 pm by Rover By The Tyne »
The point that I've made is that i am moving next season to be in the section with the singing fans. And no of course i wont stand if I'm surrounded by people who are sat down, but I'm moving to an area where people will be stood. Many players thrive from the noise of supporters, Exhibit A; Billy Sharp. Whenever he scores at away games he runs up to us and lifts his arms asking for more noise. Players get fired up with the fans, you only have to watch an Old firm Derby to see that.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on March 20, 2011, 10:42:07 pm by ravenrover »
Quote from: \"Adam_DRFC\" post=147372
The point that I've made is that i am moving next season to be in the section with the singing fans. And no of course i wont stand if I'm surrounded by people who are sat down, but I'm moving to an area where people will be stood. Many players thrive from the noise of supporters, Exhibit A; Billy Sharp. Whenever he scores at away games he runs up to us and lifts his arms asking for more noise. Players get fired up with the fans, you only have to watch an Old firm Derby to see that.

So what does he do at home games?
Don't think you'll have to worry too much about what Billie does, after this season JMHO

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 20, 2011, 10:51:20 pm by Woodhead Passer »
JR needs to get back in the stand! ;)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 20, 2011, 11:17:09 pm by RedJ »
Actually, I wonder about that Adam. He says he wants a better atmosphere, and one of the best we've had this season - if not THE best - was when he was in the SS with us. I wonder, would crowds and noise levels increase if he were to join us more often? I doubt he would, mind.

DRFC-PERKINS

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 21, 2011, 10:07:35 am by DRFC-PERKINS »
I thought the first 5 mins, were quite good atmosphere wise, but then quickly died down after a few songs, I don't think the new 'anthem' will catch on, it doesn't sound right and not anthem material compared to songs sung by other teams. Do feel sorry for the people who put the effort in. I've thought for a while that our anthem should be 'impossible dream' has more of a feel and something rovers fans can relate to, in the journey we've been on.
The only way the atmosphere will improve if people start singing its only then that the atmosphere will improve, simple as.
:scarf:

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 21, 2011, 10:24:50 am by benaldo »
Quote from: \"RedJ\" post=147397
Actually, I wonder about that Adam. He says he wants a better atmosphere, and one of the best we've had this season - if not THE best - was when he was in the SS with us. I wonder, would crowds and noise levels increase if he were to join us more often? I doubt he would, mind.

Undoubtably he gets a lot out of his short spells in the south stand - isn't it once a season? - but I sit near him and there are some awfully important people who sit along with him from time to time. I would imagine that he does a very important job for the club exactly where he is by schmoozing etc. Can you imagine him entertaining some multi millionaire in the south stand while a load of p!ssed up fans are slurring \"I fecking love you john\" in his face every two minutes?? :lol:
If you lot can't sing without JR there it's a pretty poor show really isn't it?

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 21, 2011, 07:52:42 pm by not on facebook »
did anyone hera about the alliens that landed at the KMS during a rovers game,all
the poor buggers in the space ship died due to lack of atmosphere.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012