Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 03:26:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: atmosphere yesterday  (Read 6922 times)

benaldo

• Forum Member
Re: atmosphere yesterday
« Reply #30 on March 21, 2011, 08:12:16 pm by benaldo »
It's vodka night in Oslo.....

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on March 21, 2011, 09:39:48 pm by Mr1Croft »
I didn't attend saturday, but I can gather by this thread, and the comments of my younger brother, that the atmosphere was back up to the usual standards of the Rovers fans that just go to watch the game and enjoy the legroom the keepmoat has to offer.

I normally make the effort, and stand with my brother at the top of the southstand close to the where the cameraman usually is (where John Ryan was situated at the Watford game). For those of you that have noticed, my younger brother carries and uses the Vuvazela, if you have ever heard it at a game, its his attempt to help the atmosphere and after games Ive been to similar to what has been described about Saturday I don't blame him.

This has always been a problem, for me the biggest problem that faces the fans that want to sing these days is that (as previously mentioned) some of the old greats are slowly but surely dyeing out. Molly Malone, \"We hate sheffield Wednesday, we hate Rotherham too..\" \"One man went to Mow...\" Even Zigga Zagga is heard less times these days. Normally you'd think if Clubs stopped singing old songs, they'd create new ones and we don't, or haven't, the amount of times I heard \"Did you cry when Hayter scored\" at Elland Road must have been in double figures, and didn't say much about our atmosphere at all.

Tbh I'm really starting to miss \"IF I had the wings of a Sparrow...\"

A fair conclusion is that while the Keepmoat's reserved seating is in plan, an atmosphere will never be created at our home games.

RTID

I-was-there1976

« Reply #32 on March 21, 2011, 09:55:11 pm by I-was-there1976 »
im going to put it all down to the \"style\" of football

Belle Vue was shocking for atmosphere but the keepmoat is great.

You only have to hear 250 Plymouth fans sing to know that.

SOD's style of football does nt promote an \"ooh\" n \"ahs\" get into em style us against you lot battle, unless ofcourse Rovers are losing with 5 minutes to go.

IMHO

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on March 22, 2011, 09:42:02 am by jonnydog »
Quote from: \"I-was-there1976\" post=147508
im going to put it all down to the \"style\" of football

Belle Vue was shocking for atmosphere but the keepmoat is great.

You only have to hear 250 Plymouth fans sing to know that.

SOD's style of football does nt promote an \"ooh\" n \"ahs\" get into em style us against you lot battle, unless ofcourse Rovers are losing with 5 minutes to go.

IMHO

Agree with what you're saying, but I think it's unfair to say the atmosphere at Belle Vue was shocking. The Popular stand always had a buzz about it. It was also a place most teams didnt like playing as most managers commented on the 12th man.:scarf:

... And I know as a club we can't keep living in the past. I just miss Belle Vue :(

RTID

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on March 22, 2011, 02:38:37 pm by not on facebook »
a tune for yers dont read if easily upset

'went darn dole,cashed giro
went t pub and got plastered,
went back home, beat up wife
cause iam a yorkshire bas**rd'

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on March 22, 2011, 02:54:38 pm by grayx »
It went deadly silent more or less straight after kick-off. It probably didn't help with us being pinned in our own half for the first 15 minutes or so. Perhaps if we had been dominating,the crowd may have had something to cheer or get excited about. I've also noticed on the \"quid-a-kid\" games you get a more of a family atmosphere,with the kids quite often showing little interest in the game to be honest.

As mentioned earlier in the thread,if there could be an un-reserved area in the stadium which would allow groups of fans who wanted to sing together then I'm sure it would create a better atmosphere.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on March 22, 2011, 04:07:52 pm by jonnydog »
Quote from: \"grayx\" post=147545
It went deadly silent more or less straight after kick-off. It probably didn't help with us being pinned in our own half for the first 15 minutes or so. Perhaps if we had been dominating,the crowd may have had something to cheer or get excited about. I've also noticed on the \"quid-a-kid\" games you get a more of a family atmosphere,with the kids quite often showing little interest in the game to be honest.

As mentioned earlier in the thread,if there could be an un-reserved area in the stadium which would allow groups of fans who wanted to sing together then I'm sure it would create a better atmosphere.

Like the way you think. We have a 'family' section, think its about time we get a 'P***ed-up singer' section!!!

:scarf:

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on March 22, 2011, 05:35:29 pm by benaldo »
Quote from: \"oslorovers\" post=147541

Oslo - the city where getting drunk and beating up women is still found amusing.........

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on March 22, 2011, 08:26:13 pm by not on facebook »
bendalo.....dont think you could afford to get drunk in oslo fella,i cant for sure.

vodka/coke as you seem to like vodka,upwards from 80kr thats £8.50 to you.

pint of lager 65kr - 75kr which is £6.80 - £7.80 give or take.

glass red/white house wine 60kr upwards = £6.30.

'your going home in a south yorkshire ambulance' was a song sung at olde BV
in the 1970's and 1980's,does not mean that everyone thought/said it was funny to actually go home in one.

it was just a song fella, wind yer neck in.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on March 22, 2011, 08:58:05 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"oslorovers\" post=147541

Never did sing that one. My mum's first husband was a domestic abuser. At least the w**ker wasn't my dad..

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on March 22, 2011, 10:52:11 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
re-naming it the KOP end may help instead of it being named after a sponsor.

Thing is Adam, revenue from any stream is vital for the club and we're not in a position to turn these sponsors away.

The best compromise as mentioned a while ago is to call it 'The Polypipe Pop Stand'. The club want to promote it as a singing Kop, we want to encourage fans to see it as that and the prices have been reduced to help.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on March 22, 2011, 11:13:03 pm by RedJ »
DBR - any idea how we could get the club behind calling it the PolyPipe Pop Stand?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on March 22, 2011, 11:30:15 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think they are behind it in an unofficial way. I think they would be reluctant to change any signeage as this costs money however, any campaign led by us to refer to it as this will help.

I'll have a think and speak to a few folk on the VSC & DRFC and see what we can do.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on March 23, 2011, 12:38:06 am by RedJ »
Look forward to hearing back.

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on March 23, 2011, 07:40:04 am by Berkshire Rover »
I did the stadium tour with the lads who won a seat in the VSC box before the QPR game and Shaun Lockwood. DRFC's main Marketing man was conducting the tour. When he described the stands he called the South stand, The Polypipe stand, or south stand or the new popular stand AS SOME OF OUR SUPPORTERS GROUPS ARE NOW CALLING IT!

So they are already listening and recognising our views. If you say something often enough, it starts to take hold
:thumbsup:

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on March 23, 2011, 12:02:43 pm by drfcsteve »
FSF petition to bring back safe standing areas for those who are interested and haven't already signed - http://www.fsf.org.uk/petitions/safestanding.php

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on March 23, 2011, 04:30:37 pm by RedJ »
Cheers Steve, signed.

DRFC.drummer

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on March 23, 2011, 06:47:57 pm by DRFC.drummer »
So your complaing about the lack of noise? and yet you want me too stop drumming so other people can hear nothing. if i bang atleast it creates some noise and the other fans might choose too join in with it, take the drum away and all the noise goes because very rarelly does somebody apart from me start a chant..
In responce too the singing section we've been trying too get it atleast trailed all season and the club would be more than happy to go along with it, however the stewards and police do not so there isn't much chance of it happening, if people want too sing them should join the south stand and help me get others going.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on March 23, 2011, 06:55:52 pm by RedJ »
Drummer - not a criticism, but a thought - could we try and get a good range of songs going at the next game? Maybe some older ones (although still relevant, obviously - can't think of examples, sorry) that we haven't done for a while? Maybe just changing it up a little will make it a little better, because half the time me and the people around me have a contest to see who can predict the song line up best :P well done for keeping at it, drummer.

DRFC.drummer

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on March 23, 2011, 07:00:53 pm by DRFC.drummer »
well if i was you id predict sean odriscols barmy army as seen as its the most common ha!  yeah i try but theres only so many you can start off on a drum..  but i will take that in to consideration and try give it more variation but obv theres certain ones that are good and restricted too a drum..

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on March 23, 2011, 07:23:27 pm by jonnydog »
Quote from: \"DRFC.drummer\" post=147701
well if i was you id predict sean odriscols barmy army as seen as its the most common ha!  yeah i try but theres only so many you can start off on a drum..  but i will take that in to consideration and try give it more variation but obv theres certain ones that are good and restricted too a drum..

Maybe we should put out requests for a brass section too!!    :laugh:

... Keep up the good work tho drummer

RTID

:scarf:

DRFC.drummer

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on March 23, 2011, 09:05:14 pm by DRFC.drummer »
haa theres actually a trumpet lying around somewhere in the ground but i think that would be pushing it abit haa!
cheers for the supports anyways i will do!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on March 23, 2011, 09:12:15 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
does the Drummer lead or does the drummer follow ? I for one believe the drummer is doing a fine job. He's listened to feedback on here and he is doing more to try and keep some sort of atmosphere going.

Now this is very difficult when everyone is engrossed in a game of chess played out on the Keepmoat pitch.

Following JRs appearance in the Polypipe Pop Stand I am pleased to hear he's kept his promise of a free season ticket for you Mr Drummer.

Just shows you if you are prepared to put the effort in you will get your reward. If there were more like you the Pop Stand would be buzzing week in week out.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on March 23, 2011, 10:05:54 pm by RedJ »
It might be an idea to have a section on here with lyrics to some of our songs - half of the fans (including a lot that do sing!) don't know half of them, even the more popular ones. Just a suggestion.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on March 23, 2011, 11:04:41 pm by jonnydog »
Quote from: \"RedJ\" post=147719
It might be an idea to have a section on here with lyrics to some of our songs - half of the fans (including a lot that do sing!) don't know half of them, even the more popular ones. Just a suggestion.

like the way you think Red. With all the people on here im sure a post with lyrics (and possibly old 'blasts from the past' songs, we should be able to drum up some kind of atmos.

... You should start a new topic on it!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on March 24, 2011, 12:06:24 am by RedJ »
Quote from: \"jonnydog\" post=147721

like the way you think Red. With all the people on here im sure a post with lyrics (and possibly old 'blasts from the past' songs, we should be able to drum up some kind of atmos.

... You should start a new topic on it!

Well I wonder, would it be feasible to have a forum section devoted to it? Because fan chants is absolutely rubbish, since either 1) the song isn't posted at all, 2) the words are wrong, or 3) there's no recording so you don't know the tune or anything.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on March 24, 2011, 02:40:38 am by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Quote from: \"DonnyBazR0ver\" post=147715
I for one believe the drummer is doing a fine job. If there were more like you the Pop Stand would be buzzing week in week out.

DRFC-PERKINS

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on March 24, 2011, 11:28:54 am by DRFC-PERKINS »
Yes keep up the good work Mr drummer, It certainly helps the atmosphere.
As for a list of songs theres a good website here with alot our songs, new and old.
http://fanchants.com/football-team/doncaster_rovers/
But a forum devoted to it would be cool.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on March 24, 2011, 12:14:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=147311
the players wonder why they bother ....

Hmm. Let me think.

Oh aye! Five thousand quid a week.

DRFC.drummer

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on March 24, 2011, 09:16:19 pm by DRFC.drummer »
yeah he kept his promise and i recieved my free season ticket so very happy, just more presure on my shoulders now but im sure i can handle it!  and in reply to lead or follow i would say its normally always too start but if somebody else does i will always support it and go along with it like i should..
well if theres any chants people want the words too tell me and ill let you know. if a section is started ill keep it updated..
thanks yet again for the support!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012