Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 11:34:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Steve Brooker  (Read 3854 times)

Shawndrfc

• Forum Member
Steve Brooker
« on April 30, 2011, 04:51:13 pm by Shawndrfc »
Fair play to the lad, he was a right handful for the Leicester today. His goal wasn't too shabby either :cheer: , he deserves his plaudits and it shows what he is all about. He's out of contract at the end of the season, I really don't know what SOD should do. Good player but has been unlucky with injuries.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

snods big brother

Re: Steve Brooker
« Reply #1 on April 30, 2011, 04:55:57 pm by snods big brother »
A pay as you play contract I think would be a good deal and an incentive for him to remain fit

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 30, 2011, 04:58:25 pm by Dutch Uncle »
If we have got him nearly fit, then having been so patient for so long it would seem a bad move to ditch him now

I remember SOD saying - every now and then in training he gets us excited..... he does have something about him

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 30, 2011, 04:58:29 pm by DRFCSouth »
Agree with you entirely on that Snod! He's a different option when he plays (once a season!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 30, 2011, 05:15:17 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
So pleased for him, and us. Those of us who have seen Brooker in the past know what a good player he is and given his injury nightmare what a fitting way to reward us.

What a goal !

I think it was significant how every player mobbed him on the touchline and then, he showed his appreciation for our patience when he applauded the crowd. Nice touch that.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 30, 2011, 05:20:56 pm by drfcsteve »
Funny old game isn't it! I saw a few surprised looking faces around the 'moat when he was named on the bench before the game. He then comes on completely out of the blue in the second half and scores a wonder goal to keep is in the championship, and his first goal since 2008!

Rover By The Tyne

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 30, 2011, 05:22:26 pm by Rover By The Tyne »
Ironic how that 2nd/3rd appearance and 1 goal of the season means more than any other scored.

VikingJames

« Reply #7 on April 30, 2011, 05:31:54 pm by VikingJames »
He caused their defence so many problems in that second half. Gave us a different option there, and it sounds daft, but IF he can get a bit of fitness, he's worth keeping on for next season based on what we've seen.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 30, 2011, 05:35:17 pm by Filo »
We can't let sentiment cloud the issue, with his injury record we can't carry him any longer, for me he has to be released, despite the cracker of a goal today

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 30, 2011, 05:37:03 pm by RobTheRover »
Very pleased for the fella.  That was a lovely goal, and the fact he took it early meant the keeper had no chance of setting himself for it.  Clearly not match fit, and probably a stone or so overweight, but the seeds of the old Steve Brooker were there to see.

Anyone know whether Euell was replaced tactically, whether this was always gonna be the plan, or did he take a knock?

DavTrav

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 30, 2011, 05:39:49 pm by DavTrav »
Looked as though Euell was limping on his way round the pitch at the end so I guess he took a knock

Brooker worth a pay-as-you play for me, win-win for all concerned given the resources we have spent on him!

VikingJames

« Reply #11 on April 30, 2011, 05:39:59 pm by VikingJames »
Quote from: \"RobTheRover\" post=154362

Anyone know whether Euell was replaced tactically, whether this was always gonna be the plan, or did he take a knock?

Definitely an injury, he limped off the pitch at HT.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 30, 2011, 05:52:58 pm by graingrover »
Ok let me be the grumpy old git! Pay as you play ???? Yes pleqee but even the weakest agent w

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 30, 2011, 05:53:21 pm by hoolahoop »
Quote from: \"DavTrav\" post=154365
Looked as though Euell was limping on his way round the pitch at the end so I guess he took a knock

Brooker worth a pay-as-you play for me, win-win for all concerned given the resources we have spent on him!
[/color]

Couldn't agree more , putting sentiment aside he does give us an extra option. :thumbsup:

DavTrav

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 30, 2011, 06:04:32 pm by DavTrav »
Sharp, Hayter, Euell & a fully fit Brooker next season?! Would do for me!

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 30, 2011, 06:40:51 pm by DonnyRTID »
SO'D said in his interview, Brooker's one of the hardest workers at the club and deserved his goal. I think he'll be with us next season especially now he's fit.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 30, 2011, 07:00:07 pm by StocktonRover »
I listened to SOD's interview on the drive up North and took it in a different way. Whilst SOD spoke about his workrate and effort in training, he dwelled on his lack of games due to injuries and said that his goal was a great reward and a good way to showcase himself - I took this to be a suggestion that he could be released?

mutleyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 30, 2011, 07:05:33 pm by mutleyrover »
He'll be released.  With our small squad we cant afford to carry players who spend considerably more time on the sidelines than on the pitch.  Cracking effort from him today though and a start next week with another couple of goals should get him a contract elsewhere for next season.  Good luck to him.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 30, 2011, 07:12:36 pm by graingrover »
I don't believe all this naivety... he has to have an operation in the summer to have his ankle 'cleaned'!!!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 30, 2011, 07:13:36 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Get the feeling he'll be released really.

Brooker said he wanted to 'sign off' well.  Also mentioned he's looking like surgery again in the summer on that ankle.

Shame for him really, but he'll drop to league 1 I expect.  Good luck to him though, can't blame him for injuries and he's worked hard, but we don't have the resource to carry a player like him.  Memorable goal today though that's for sure.

VikingJames

« Reply #20 on April 30, 2011, 07:20:19 pm by VikingJames »
Quote from: \"mutleyrover\" post=154443
He'll be released.  With our small squad we cant afford to carry players who spend considerably more time on the sidelines than on the pitch.  Cracking effort from him today though and a start next week with another couple of goals should get him a contract elsewhere for next season.  Good luck to him.

Blimey, we'll have no-one left!

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 30, 2011, 07:52:02 pm by Retdon1 »
I spoke to steve after the match and he said hes been fit for 3-4 weeks now and that hes just not been getting
picked in the squad i asked if he thought he would be here next season and he said he would like to but would
be suprised if he was.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on April 30, 2011, 08:39:43 pm by ravenrover »
Didn't SOD emphasise at the Rosso fans forum that Brooker was \"OUT OF CONTRACT!!!!\" at the end of the season when he was asked about him? Don't think it's too difficult to read between the lines on that one.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 30, 2011, 10:05:55 pm by grayx »
Quote from: \"snods big brother\" post=154337
A pay as you play contract I think would be a good deal and an incentive for him to remain fit

That's got to be the logical solution. A one season \"pay as you play\" arrangement. Would piss me off if he went somewhere else & was a hit after all our medical bills.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 30, 2011, 10:17:29 pm by Dagenham Rover »
6 month contract to prove he's fit, The lads paid for everything with that goal today,
its saved the club a ruddy fortune if we had gone down, telly money, gate reciepts, \"bigger clubs\" etc  suppose we could have a couple of derby games in DeeDaaland though.

What did JR say the other year \"the balance of power has shifted to Barnsley and Doncaster\"

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 01, 2011, 08:57:38 am by Capmeister »
Classic centre forward play. I've always liked Brooker. He knows where the onion bag is. There's goals in the lad, no doubt. As everybody says his fitness is the key. If he'll take a 6 month contract, I for one, would keep him on that basis.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 01, 2011, 09:22:24 am by graingrover »
I have to say I think a six month contract wpould be a very fair deal .. more likely that he could be extended if he were fit and scoring if he were fit and not playing then the January transfer window is a good crossroads . Problem is ... the wage budget needs to have an allocation for one or two top newcomer signings in other positions AND a spearhead cover for Billy so maybe Booker will get another chance rather than a Euall or a Healey .

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 01, 2011, 11:07:30 am by keyser_soze »
Surely he has to be released? I agree its great for the lad to score and was really pleased he could come back from an injury nightmare and score such a big goal, but are we going to get 1 goal and a couple of appearances a season from him?

We've given him a couple of years to prove he can get back to fitness, he doesn't look fit and has said himself he needs yet another operation over the summer. I don't know how much he's been paid over this time, and its possible that even with the medical bills it isn't as much as our other first team strikers, but the gamble hasn't paid off and sad to say its time to cut our losses.

No space for sentimentality, we've had to bring in Healy, Euell, Moussa and Mason in attacking positions while Brooker hasn't made the team, we really need a third striker for when Hayter & Sharp aren't fit (assuming Fairhurst will never get a fair crack of the whip). Can we afford to gamble another 6 or 12 months?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 01, 2011, 11:23:41 am by RedJ »
I think we can - but only on a pay as you play contract.

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 01, 2011, 01:45:16 pm by Woodhead Passer »
Quote from: \"DavTrav\" post=154390
Sharp, Hayter, Euell & a fully fit Brooker next season?! Would do for me!

Sean told us at the earl that Brooker will never be 100% fit for the rest of his career, don't think it is worth keeping him. He's a great player and scored a brilliant goal, but for me, he has to go

TinyPortal © 2005-2012