Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 11:23:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Retained List  (Read 2168 times)

DonnyEl

• Forum Member
The Retained List
« on May 01, 2011, 12:39:52 pm by DonnyEl »
With Rovers now secure in the Championship for another season, who do we thinks getting released? The list looks like...

1. Neil Sullivan
5. Wayne Thomas
6. James Chambers
9. Steve Brooker
21. Sam Hird
23. Byron Webster
25. Dennis Souza
30. Paul Keegan
32. Ryan Burge

As well as the loans going back to their parent clubs...
14. Franck Moussa
17. Ryan Mason
19. Jason Euell
20. Joe Mills
27. Matt Kilgallon

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Shawndrfc

• Forum Member
Re: The Retained List
« Reply #1 on May 01, 2011, 12:52:48 pm by Shawndrfc »
The players I would retain is:

Wayne Thomas on a 1 year contract
Sam Hird
Joe Mills (looks like the deal is already done)
Ryan Mason (Another season long loan)

Dont think we'll get Moussa back and Killgallon hasn't really played which is suprising :unsure:

If Euell was younger then probs would of offered him a contract, also Brooker has been unlucky with injury but i don't think he will stay.

James Chambers is the hard one because he has had a very unlucky season but Mussy has done really well in his absense.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 01, 2011, 12:58:00 pm by DonnyNoel »
Quote from: \"DonnyEl\" post=154669
With Rovers now secure in the Championship for another season, who do we thinks getting released? The list looks like...

1. Neil Sullivan
5. Wayne Thomas
6. James Chambers
9. Steve Brooker
21. Sam Hird
23. Byron Webster
25. Dennis Souza
30. Paul Keegan
32. Ryan Burge

As well as the loans going back to their parent clubs...
14. Franck Moussa
17. Ryan Mason
19. Jason Euell
20. Joe Mills
27. Matt Kilgallon

That might not be too far off. All key players have had deals extended lately so anyone out of contract might be starting to get nervous at this point although perhaps the club was waiting to be doubly sure of staying up before deciding that having a championship income means they might be able to keep a couple of players as a squad luxury.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if any of Keegan, Hird, Thomas, Burge got a new deal. We've struggled to strengthen in the last 12 months (Billy excepted) so we don't want to be letting too many average players go if we just end up replacing them with more expensive but just as average players. Even League One players are much more expensive than when we were down there.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 01, 2011, 01:09:59 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Had it not been for recent performances, I would agree about Thomas but he as at last showed signs of why we signed him.

Would agree with the rest although Brooker/Euell is a conundrum. If we haven't got that type of player in mind as a target then, of the two ageing players, I think I would keep Brooker.

I think they may keep Burge as one for the future and I believe Moussa was given a contract by Leicester to put some value on him. They have been in the press recently saying with or without promotion they are going to splash out on 12 Premiership players, so may be a season long loan although, I think Mason has the greater potential.

The Matt Kilgallon mystery continues however, the only scenario I can see him staying is if we are planning to sign an old centre half partner of his.

I have a feeling Sam Hird will want out of here. His body language most of the season suggests he's pissed off and will probably think a move now might be right for him.

I'm a bit concerned about Mills' injury record for such a young lad but how good would it be to see young improving full backs like Mills and Dumbuya in full flow.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 01, 2011, 03:35:25 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Quote from: \"DonnyBazR0ver\" post=154682
Had it not been for recent performances, I would agree about Thomas but he as at last showed signs of why we signed him.

Thomas could prove a bit of a conundrum. Do we judge him on 3/4 of the season where he was ponderous, hesitant and caused chaos whenever he played, or the later part of the season where he bossed the defence and looked like the meat to Friend's sandwich. It's hard to call and it depends on who is let go. Webster/Sousa are surely off. Lockwood? Hird? What about Martis? Two good games then a shocker, or an injury, or both. Lots to ponder for Mr O'D closed season.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 01, 2011, 04:47:10 pm by Jonathan »
Quote from: \"Snods Shinpad 2\" post=154725
Quote from: \"DonnyBazR0ver\" post=154682

Thomas could prove a bit of a conundrum. Do we judge him on 3/4 of the season where he was ponderous, hesitant and caused chaos whenever he played, or the later part of the season where he bossed the defence and looked like the meat to Friend's sandwich. It's hard to call and it depends on who is let go. Webster/Sousa are surely off. Lockwood? Hird? What about Martis? Two good games then a shocker, or an injury, or both. Lots to ponder for Mr O'D closed season.

Not been able to attend the last couple of games but I gather Thomas has done well and showed real leadership. I can't get rid of the memory of performances like the one at Leeds so struggle to make a case for him to stay on that evidence, but if we do retain him then I would hope it is as back up only.

I would almost go as far as saying that none of our centre halves are good enough for this division other than the two full backs by trade (O'Connor and Friend, although it's high time Friend was permanently rebranded as a centre half).

I'm convinced there's a good player somewhere in Martis but he struggles to put the component parts together for 90 minutes and inconsistency is a major problem. Lockwood is solid and reliable but if we're being brutally honest he is not a Championship defender, and he deserves to be playing week in week out somewhere rather than just filling holes here.

Major changes needed in the centre of defence if we are to improve and that could mean releasing and / or transfer listing a lot of players to make room. We need a quality partner to play alongside Friend and some far better cover.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 01, 2011, 04:52:25 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'd like to see a squad list of defenders something like :-

Mills
Dumbuya
O'Connor
Green (Dagenham)

Kilgallon
Morgan
Thomas
Friend

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 01, 2011, 04:57:02 pm by RedJ »
I think the thing with Martis is his confidence. If he starts off well, he has a good game. He does something wrong early on, his head drops and that's him done for the day.

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #8 on May 01, 2011, 05:12:04 pm by Rovin Reporter »
Your are so wrong about Keegan ,Hird Wyane Thomas , so it looks  all these guys give there all with a passion .

Chrisd_123

« Reply #9 on May 01, 2011, 05:21:21 pm by Chrisd_123 »
Now Rotherham have bottled the playoffs again Le Fondre has to be worth a shout. He's in the last year of his contract next season so we could get him for a bit cheaper than maybe last season too.

DRFC85

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 01, 2011, 05:34:49 pm by DRFC85 »
On your original list, i'd offer Sullivan an extra year as a squad player (i.e. i'd make him aware that he would be cover for Gary Woods). I think he is a good second keeper, and still provides good competition.
I'd offer Chambers and Brooker rolling contracts, i.e. give them the opportunity to prove they are worth/can maintain their fitness before looking again in January.
I'm undecided about Thomas, I think given a few games he would be much more competent at CB than Martis but perhaps hasn't had enough of a run in the team to prove it.

DRFC85

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 01, 2011, 05:41:10 pm by DRFC85 »
Quote from: \"Chrisd_123\" post=154763
Now Rotherham have bottled the playoffs again Le Fondre has to be worth a shout. He's in the last year of his contract next season so we could get him for a bit cheaper than maybe last season too.

I keep wondering if Le Fondre would be worth a shout, but then I think of Blundell… couldn't handle the step up to league 1, nevermind the Championship. Would probably be a good gamble for a mid-sized championship club, but I think Rovers would need to ask if they could afford to write off the transfer fee/wages if Le Fondre couldn't handle the step-up.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 01, 2011, 05:44:42 pm by RobTheRover »
Forget LeFondre. Rotherscum ain't gonna let him go anywhere for less than £1m. And he only scores tap-ins.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 01, 2011, 06:20:58 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Barnsley bound by all accounts. No surprise there.

Kenny_Senior

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 01, 2011, 06:27:56 pm by Kenny_Senior »
If it was down to me then I'd release Sullivan, Lockwood, Thomas, Webster, Shiels, Brooker and Fairhurst.

I'm not sure if all of those players are out of contract but I can't see any of them making much of an impact on the team next season. So we need to cut our losses, save some wages and get rid.

I'd also let all of the loan players go back to their parent clubs with the exception of Joe Mills, who would be a good signing.

As for new players, then we need at least one new goalkeeper. Joe Murphy from Scunthorpe would suffice. I'd also like us to sign two new centre halves of proven Championship quality - Sean St Ledger and A.N.Other.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 01, 2011, 06:30:42 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"Kenny_Senior\" post=154784
If it was down to me then I'd release Sullivan, Lockwood, Thomas, Webster, Shiels, Brooker and Fairhurst.

I'm not sure if all of those players are out of contract but I can't see any of them making much of an impact on the team next season. So we need to cut our losses, save some wages and get rid.

I'd also let all of the loan players go back to their parent clubs with the exception of Joe Mills, who would be a good signing.

As for new players, then we need at least one new goalkeeper. Joe Murphy from Scunthorpe would suffice. I'd also like us to sign two new centre halves of proven Championship quality - Sean St Ledger and A.N.Other.

Jesus :ohmy: imagine a player of A.N. Other's quality in red and white hoops! :thumbsup:

Suggestions?

Chrisd_123

« Reply #16 on May 01, 2011, 06:37:01 pm by Chrisd_123 »
Quote from: \"Kenny_Senior\" post=154784

Disagree on letting Lockwood go. I think the fact that since he's been injured we've really struggled (even more) at the back. He's defiantly one of those players that you don't realise what he does for the team until you lose him for a bit. He's easily good enough to be a squad player here anyway if not a first team regular and previous interviews with him even show he's happy to be that way too.

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 01, 2011, 10:45:04 pm by BRMC_rover »
Quote from: \"RobTheRover\" post=154769
Forget LeFondre. Rotherscum ain't gonna let him go anywhere for less than £1m. And he only scores tap-ins.

The wise fans of theirs reckon they'd have to accept a fee of £275-350k now or risk losing him for free next summer. The days of £2mil transfers fee's are long gone.He's also been disinterested since their managerial change and been coming off the bench for the last 8 games or so. He needs a move, whether it be us that go in for him or a league one team. He's shown he can score goals. Score 25 goals 2 seasons running in Lge. 2 and to be fair, you'v got to ask yourself why your not playing on league 1 by now, usually because you'd expect that to be the catalyst of your teams promotion. I honestly think he'd have no problems adjusting to Championship as well. Problem is, he's like Billy, likes ball to feet and we'd risk being too one dimensional if we can only bring in one striker on our budget.

I cant understand why hardly anyone on here does'nt feel Chambo deserves a new deal. He's been unlucky, when fit he's our best all round full back.

Good shout on Locky too whoever mentioned it. Does deserve to be playing elsewhere. He'l make a good skipper and hasn't really done alot wrong but isnt cut out for championship.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 02, 2011, 12:06:10 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Lockwood is underated. I compare him on looks to calamity McShane now of Barnsley. Whilst McShane has embarrassed himself in the Premiership and now the Championship on triple the wages, I'd have Lockwood every time.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012