Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 01:34:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Giles barnes signing on 6 month deal  (Read 12204 times)

Standanista

• Forum Member
Re: Giles barnes signing on 6 month deal
« Reply #30 on August 04, 2011, 02:50:21 pm by Standanista »
Some positive stuff being said about us on Forest forum in relation to this:

http://www.forestforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=25689&page=28

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

PBBaggy

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on August 04, 2011, 03:08:14 pm by PBBaggy »
Thought I'd post this again, feel free to put it any other barnes signing thread

Baggy fan here in peace, Thought I'd give you some info on the lad

Barnes, when he signed for Us, derby fans mentioned that he lost his pace after his injuries, that is complete rubbish, he was our fastest player in our squad, our coaches said they were shocked that he had been able to keep the pace, they were very impressed with how quick He was on the ball. His last appearance, against west ham, he appeared to be carrying extra weight (fat or muscle), saw him in the bullring a few weeks back and he's back in shape now

I think he's recovered from those injuries, though I understand his last serious injury came from a dangerous tackle, and Derby's medical staff don't seem to do a good job anyway, 18 months playing 25 ganes, training every day and he has gotten through it

Ability wise, his pace will stretch any team, in his first few championship games for us when he signed, his pace won us 2 penos, and he wasn't properly fit then. He is a very skillful player who likes to dribble.His delivery on crosses and set pieces is top class. We had a cup game v leicester, and for 90 mins he destroyed them, beating 4 players at a time, and delivery was good, cross after cross

Position wise, tried him as an attacking central midfielder, didnt look good, though no one did. Against sunderland earlier, he played on the left, his pace and dribbling was top class, drivin into the box. I woulf say right wing is his best role though

The stories we hear were that he turned down insurance payout at derby to continue playing,Birmingham didnt offer him a contract as they didnt feel he was ready for the premier league at that time. He played a few roles for us under RDM, but didnt play for hodgson, most likely because he lacked match fitness ( i feel he should have gone on loan) and that brunt, thomas, vela, morrison, tchoyi were
Ahead of him.

I think he needed a season or two of 30plus games at championship level, if you can offer that, great signing for you guys, he was a player many of us thought would be a big hit in the premier league for us, but looking back, he needed to be playing every week to get that development and sharpness

Regarding his attitude, in 18 months we've never heard anything bad about him), I've met him twice in the bullring, been more than happy to talk and take a picture, most of our fans say similar things. I'll guess that its understandable that an 18 year old might have had an attitude, definitley doesnt have one now, and it seems most attitude reports come from stories people heard from people about how he apparently was off the pitch, though I do remember he had an arrogance on the pitch when younger, he's definitley matured now as a player, and I would say off the pitch but those sheeps are idiots when it comes to judging players .. Anything derby fans say, remember that they havent seen him in 2-3 years, and Darren Moore was his mentor, he would never allow an ego

It's a shame it didn't work out, but good luck to the lad .. Keep him fit, you'll have your own scott sinclair with more ability

Diar

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 04, 2011, 03:29:42 pm by Diar »
Just read Derby forum... they haf nothing good to say.
You have cheered me up though.  Rehab at DRFC clinic for lost footballers, and he should be back on track.
How bad was that injury... sounds as if it was considered career ending?
This is the sort of signing a club like ours has to make.  We tale chances and reap the rewards.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on August 04, 2011, 03:40:09 pm by jonnydog »
Quote from: \"Standanista\" post=172248
Some positive stuff being said about us on Forest forum in relation to this:

http://www.forestforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=25689&page=28

Reading that it's nice to see some fans from other clubs saying positive stuff. Even saying we wont go down with the team we have!  :thumbsup:

Strange that SOD said other day that our team is weaker now than it was last year... Has he been sniffing the Pritt Stick again?!

PBBaggy

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on August 04, 2011, 03:42:49 pm by PBBaggy »
Well I don't know, but apparently derby offered to split insurance with him if he retired, though I remember reading a derby fan on the bcfc forum say that his last  injury was due to a dangerous tackle by a stoke player, he missed a large chunk of game as I remember he played against us in the playoffs with a broken foot, and apparently they rushed him back which lead to another injury.

When he signed for us, derby fans told us that he had lost his pace and had a big ego, what we saw was the complete opposite to that, he was the fastest in our squad, we have odemwingie and tchoyi remember, was a nice bloke to talk to, never heard a bad thing about his attitude from the club or fans. Its important to remember that they probably have the same views they did 3 years ago.He never had an injury in the 18months with us, training every day and played 30 games.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on August 04, 2011, 03:50:40 pm by idler »
I think that it's brilliant that a fan from another club
can take the time and trouble to post his insight into
our new signing on here. Maybe one or two of our own
regular contributors could learn a thing or two.
:scarf:
 I hope that the baggies do you proud again this year.
I enjoyed my visit to the Hawthornes apart from the result.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on August 04, 2011, 03:53:23 pm by jonnydog »
You're right, can someone get onto the MK Dons forum and mention how good Lewis Guy is?! :thumbsup:

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on August 04, 2011, 03:59:01 pm by Standanista »
Quote from: \"jonnydog\" post=172279
You're right, can someone get onto the MK Dons forum and mention how good Lewis Guy is?! :thumbsup:

Done. ;)

It's only a matter of time before we get another windfall from his sell-on clause.

PBBaggy

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on August 04, 2011, 04:02:03 pm by PBBaggy »
Thanks, it was no problem, only takes a few minutes .. Especially considering we'd read stuff like he had a bad attitude and was injury prone prior to coming to us, both turned out to be false

We've got back gera, got foster in .. Looking at hargreaves possibly, Going for a back up keeper and a striker (i feel we need 2 and a cb) I'm hoping for a top half finish .. As long as we have mulumbu olsson odemwingie brunt , its good for us

Good luck to you guys, though i dont know many of your defenders though

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 04, 2011, 04:05:56 pm by Standanista »
Quote from: \"PBBaggy\" post=172283
Thanks, it was no problem, only takes a few minutes .. Especially considering we'd read stuff like he had a bad attitude and was injury prone prior to coming to us, both turned out to be false

We've got back gera, got foster in .. Looking at hargreaves possibly, Going for a back up keeper and a striker (i feel we need 2 and a cb) I'm hoping for a top half finish .. As long as we have mulumbu olsson odemwingie brunt , its good for us

Going on the second half of last season's performance, many of them don't know each other.

I hope Hargreaves works out for you.  Good luck next season and cheers for the Barnes low down, much appreciated.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on August 04, 2011, 04:18:53 pm by Jonathan »

Think you've highlighted our problem there!

Thanks for posting the info/opinion on Barnes by the way, very insightful and much appreciated. Makes our new signing sound even more exciting!

In the process of finalising my Fantasy Premier League team, subject to movement over the next week. Any big WBA recommendations? Odemwingie likely to repeat the form of last season? And will Roy run a tight ship at the back?

PBBaggy

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on August 04, 2011, 04:24:01 pm by PBBaggy »
Feel free to post my big post on other donny forums, i just saw a derby county one, and it's as if they think a person cant change in 2 years, or are a lot of haters

Odemwingie .. I think he should have got 20 ! Him and Mulumbu are in my teams .. We'll always create chances, Odemwingie could get into the arsenal or spurs 11 no doubt, expecting an even better season, he has said he expects more aswell

Mulumbu, a season or two more and he'll be at a massive club .. Fiorentina bid for him

Chris brunt is a good shout too

redbrez

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on August 04, 2011, 04:34:12 pm by redbrez »
hopefully a great signing and maybe the difference we need to break into the top half well done rovers :scarf:

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on August 04, 2011, 05:08:13 pm by glosterred »
Seriously needs to get the hair sorted - who does he think he is JJ Price - chorus of Afro Afro goal machine the first time he scores?

Baggy fan, I think, mentioned that the Derby support reckons he is injury prone -fit in nicely at the Rovers then.

Good signing - looking forward to seeing him play

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on August 04, 2011, 05:20:41 pm by CottyRover »
Just heard Barnes on Dee Dah and on Player - sounds really upbeat and pleased to be here. Bennet picked up that he's already talking about \"us\". Said that staying up last season despite all the injuries said a lot about the team spirit. Above all on Player he looks really pleased to be here. Really looking forward to the new season! :thumbsup:

PS Donny fan on FH at last as I type. :scarf:

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on August 04, 2011, 05:55:46 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
They havent really got a good word to say about him on the Derby board...bless 'em....

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=181&fid=16&sty=2&act=1&mid=2116733345

Diar

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on August 04, 2011, 06:07:57 pm by Diar »

You know Shelts, surely?!
Another injury that cost us last season. Yet another first teamer on the fitness trail.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on August 04, 2011, 06:26:49 pm by DonnyOsmond »
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPMy-o7VhDw[/video]

I love that goal at 1:19.

PBBaggy

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on August 04, 2011, 06:41:20 pm by PBBaggy »
I remember martis if course

Looking at that derby forum, how is it that a baggy can rememeber that a stoke player injured him in a friendly, he broke his foot in the playoffs against us and returned from that injury early due to billy davies

They seem to be talking about him as if he still has the attitude of an 18 year old who was destined for the big time and enjoying life,  though most stories always come from stories friends heard from friends, usually jealous teenagers , yet in his 18 months with us , no one mentioned any attitude, just good meetings with him, he got on well and fitted in with the squad, and I remember reading that darren moore took him u der his wing and they had a father-son relationship, darren moore would never allow an ego, Darren Moore speaks highly of him as a person, anyone that knows of darren moore will know how good his judgment is

Anyway , I remember a derby fan saying to us that he lost all his pace due to injuries .. We saw him after a few games that he was just as fast, on and off the ball, so we stopped listening to derby fans

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 04, 2011, 08:17:11 pm by benaldo »
My long time Derby supporting friend has told me that Barnes was a prodigious talent at Derby and partly responsible for their entry into the premiership, however...he did say he was a bit of a tosser and liked his own way.

For me, I hope he doesn't upset the team. He's a talent there's no doubt about that.

VikingJames

« Reply #50 on August 04, 2011, 08:20:03 pm by VikingJames »
Excited by this signing. He could be a great signing for us! Feeling much more optimistic about the season after today's triple signing.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on August 04, 2011, 08:37:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Christ but this could be an exciting signing.

The whole time we've been in the division, we've been woefully short of the sort of physicality that could add to our undoubted passing/possession/movement skills.

Now we've got the option of a big lad in Brown and a bloody quick one in Barnes to upset defences. Could be very, very interesting...

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on August 04, 2011, 08:38:53 pm by GazLaz »
Bennett is nippy too.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on August 04, 2011, 08:49:26 pm by Metalmicky »
It's his birthday tomorrow, so lets hope he celebrates with a brace in Brighton..........

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on August 04, 2011, 09:48:55 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Quote from: \"Metalmicky\" post=172428
It's his birthday tomorrow, so lets hope he celebrates with a brace in Brighton..........

Don't be a pessimist. A hattrick will do!

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on August 04, 2011, 09:59:21 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Quote from: \"BillyStubbsTears\" post=172419

The whole time we've been in the division, we've been woefully short of the sort of physicality that could add to our undoubted passing/possession/movement skills.

Now we've got the option of a big lad in Brown and a bloody quick one in Barnes to upset defences. Could be very, very interesting...

Exactly BST.

We've been a bit of a one trick pony up to now. Very easy for opposition managers to figure out an effective gameplan against us...atleat now we can mis it up a bit.

If Im honest...I seriously think this is the strongest most adaptable squad we've had since entering The Championship.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on August 04, 2011, 10:13:53 pm by hoolahoop »
Quote from: \"Thinwhiteduke\" post=172454
Quote from: \"BillyStubbsTears\" post=172419

Exactly BST.

We've been a bit of a one trick pony up to now. Very easy for opposition managers to figure out an effective gameplan against us...atleat now we can mis it up a bit.

If Im honest...I seriously think this is the strongest most adaptable squad we've had since entering The Championship.

I have to agree, the team and bench that we can put out on Satdi is seriously strong and that's with some of our 'top men' to come back.
Looks like we've found a Plan B and possibly a C.
I'm over the moon with the possibilities we have both in our midfield and strike force.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on August 04, 2011, 11:51:35 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"Metalmicky\" post=172428

Aye and it`s my birthday the day after, all great people are Leo`s ;)

Harrogate Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on August 05, 2011, 07:31:49 pm by Harrogate Rover »
I now share my birthday with two Donny players. Giles and barry Richardson!

billdoor

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on August 05, 2011, 07:42:17 pm by billdoor »
Quote from: \"paddymacca\" post=172186
[attachment=720]barnes2.jpg[/attachment]

Another pic of the new AFRO GOAL MACHINE :)

With his recent knee troubles i wonder if getting rid of that Barnet might take the pressure of his knee :laugh:

Knee troubles?
Has he read the report about injuries at the KM last season?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012