Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 01:29:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Loan Striker Appeal  (Read 19720 times)

dannyholt2009

• Forum Member
Re: Loan Striker Appeal
« Reply #90 on August 08, 2011, 10:43:07 pm by dannyholt2009 »
If they came collecting at the tranmere game i would put some money towards a loan striker,
but who would we get that's a proven goal scorer championship level?

:rtid: :rtid: :scarf:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on August 08, 2011, 10:44:43 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'm sure we all want to see Browny and the other lads give their all for DRFC and no reason to believe they won't do a good job. However, Billy is an out and out striker and without Billy, our next best back to goal striker at the club is Hayts. With both of them out then we're asking a lot of our other 'forwards'.

Should we lose another, and given our luck we dare not rule it out, then at least with a few more quid in the kitty, particularly with the contribution of the fans, it will hopefully give JR/SOD more confidence and options to get a decent player.

The events of the weekend have and moving on to today have just highlighted how frail we are financially and there's no better time to rally round to help JR and ourselves. We're all in it together but we need more on-board in one way or another.

I think/hope if we can make a serious contribution here, it will bring the fans and the club closer together so that we can move forward and resolve some issues that have been unsatisfactory for some time. I'm looking at it as an opportunity rather than a crisis.

hooped crusader

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on August 08, 2011, 10:49:17 pm by hooped crusader »
Unfortunatly not a season season ticket holder this season due to working overseas.
Donation sent for a worthy cause.

Graham

jonathanclaire

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on August 08, 2011, 11:56:16 pm by jonathanclaire »
will defo do this if it's LEIGH GRIFFITHS

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on August 09, 2011, 01:13:58 am by Mr1Croft »
On the plus side, this injury on Sharp may have been a blessing in disguise; say a club like Ipswich or Leciester would put £5 million on the table towards the end of the transfer window; what do we do then? At least now it guarantees no more bids will be coming in for Sharp untill the next transfer window.

I do agree on the topic raised that we have a squad of more than one player. This is another act by our club signalling that we can only operate at this level with Billy Sharp, otherwise our season is over...

I thought we made a name for ourselves as a nice footballing side? One that uses all 11 players to earn a win, as a team. Every other signing we have made under SOD has alwasy been a player that suits the club in terms of ability. Most of our players (except the odd couple a season) are similar in how good they are. Sharp is the exception.

This kind of behaviour can work wonders for the club; Billy's head must be growing, and so his game can only improve. But how many people rate him bigger than the club? Alternatively it can destroy the club. How long till Sharp rates himself bigger than the club? How many would have demanded a season ticket refund had he been sold in the close season? How many would have called for SOD's head if it happened? Or JR's for that matter?

Sharp is good at what he does; no doubt about it. But we can't rely on him forever, he isn't head and shoulders above the other players, they are all important as each other and actions such as this demote our football and can in turn have a negative effect on the other players.

Stock is injured; where is the emergency Midfielder? Before anyone answers with Barnes, I was under the impression stock normally plays in the holding role alongside Gillet or Wilson. JOC is injured; where is the emergency Right back? Where is our team? Because by the sounds of it HE is out injured with ligament damage.

Keep the Faith

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on August 09, 2011, 06:01:32 am by Barmby Rover »
I think our back up for Billy got injured long term as well on Saturday, and with two out the pressure would be too much on Barnes and Brown, both of whom have been injured themselves quite seriously and like Stock need \"managing\". That is why the need comes for a loan striker. Well done to the board for seeing the need, and well done for those who can afford to contribute.

Adam

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on August 09, 2011, 07:07:56 am by Adam »
Quote from: \"Surrey Rover\" post=173622
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=173617
Quote from: \"Surrey Rover\" post=173615
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=173610
Freeloaders indeed. Piss off.

Touched a nerve did we?

Not at all. But you have now lost one potential VSC membership. I had actually warmed to the idea of joining, but you my friend have now made me see the error of my ways.

Ok, and can you confirm you won't be posting on here anymore or will you continue to use a service paid for by others?

Posting as a fellow \"freeloader\" the adminstrators of this board are quite able to close this board to anyone who is not a VSC member. But they won't, because they're not brain dead morons like you, sir.

Honestly, get off your high horse.

wabtec

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on August 09, 2011, 07:24:20 am by wabtec »
100 quid sent by paypal,does that mean i,m not a freeloader now please pretty please.

Surrey Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on August 09, 2011, 08:45:44 am by Surrey Rover »
Quote from: \"Adam\" post=173875
Quote from: \"Surrey Rover\" post=173622
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=173617
Quote from: \"Surrey Rover\" post=173615
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=173610
Freeloaders indeed. Piss off.

Touched a nerve did we?

Not at all. But you have now lost one potential VSC membership. I had actually warmed to the idea of joining, but you my friend have now made me see the error of my ways.

Ok, and can you confirm you won't be posting on here anymore or will you continue to use a service paid for by others?

Posting as a fellow \"freeloader\" the adminstrators of this board are quite able to close this board to anyone who is not a VSC member. But they won't, because they're not brain dead morons like you, sir.

Honestly, get off your high horse.

Maybe you'd like to read the post I made about 5 up from yours to Skellow Rover?

I reacted at the time to someone who is not a VSC member using this forum to slate JR and this organisation over an incentive that is in the interests of the club we all support. Frankly I'm fed up of the constant negativity that appears to surround this forum day in day out and the comments made just after this thread commenced were unnecessary. As I explained above wrong day wrong time after this weekends events but ultimately I was defending an attack on an iniative designed to benefit DRFC. If individuals don't wish to join the VSC then that's their choice but I consider it wholly inappropriate that they should use this forum to launch an unnecessary attack on a joint venture launched by the VSC and JR designed to help the club through a very unfortunate situation.

If that in your eyes makes me a \"brain dead moron\" Adam then you are entitled to your opinion.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on August 09, 2011, 09:16:48 am by Wellred »
So are you really saying you want an a forum where only positive comments are allowed? If that is the case why have a forum at all. Surely the idea is to have a discussion on here?
Not everyone is going to be 100% in agreement with all the happy clappers so get real and stop spitting your dummy out when someone has an opinion different to yours.
I was always under the impression this forum was for everyone not just vsc members.

Gartom

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on August 09, 2011, 09:36:43 am by Gartom »
Just to get back to the real issue again.....
Many, many thanks to all who have donated over the past 12 hours or so....

We now have raised £1500+ for the Loan Star appeal - really fab effort !
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

We will make a raffle collection tonight at the game - all funds to the Loan Star appeal, so hope you can donate.....and do similar at the West Ham game.

We are sending out an 'e-Viking' about now to rally the troops one more time, and please try and get to the game tonight to help us raise funds for JR.

Looking forward to some more donations....and as I type we just got one...
Brilliant !

Cheers,
Gareth
:rtid:

VixDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on August 09, 2011, 09:38:56 am by VixDRFC »
Gartom, did you get my PM? If not please could you PM me

Thanks

Adam

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on August 09, 2011, 10:56:52 am by Adam »
£1,500?

That's enough to pay this striker a days wages. Why not just put that money to the real worthy cause which is the Belles?

Prepare for shit storm coming my way.

adge

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on August 09, 2011, 11:11:55 am by adge »
get a grip adam
if you want to donate to the belles who are a worthy cause please do and let us know when you have and how much

also how much of the tiny 1500 is from you btw

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on August 09, 2011, 11:11:58 am by benaldo »
Quote from: \"Adam\" post=173904
£1,500?

That's enough to pay this striker a days wages. Why not just put that money to the real worthy cause which is the Belles?

HAHAHAHA    Negative, but true Adam.

Ever heard the phrase \"digging to Australia with a tea spoon\"?

I think it's admirable that so many people have contributed the £1500. Well done to them. But if you look at it in the cold light of day, it's a tiddling amount of money in football wages terms. Even if the club matched a £5000 total from the VSC that would pay a top class striker for less than a week!! Let's say we needed someone on Billys wages......£1500 would last approximately just short of one days wages.

IF the club are asking for people for this kind of cash in a recession, from an area which contains 3 of the top 10 most deprived areas in the UK (allegedly), they must be close to the wall!!!

Good luck to all anyway. I hope the gesture (because it's only a gesture), inspires the people with \"proper\" cash to pay up.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on August 09, 2011, 11:26:17 am by RobTheRover »
And i think that is certainly part of the aimed outcomes, Benaldo.

It certainly makes you think about what a football club is.  In this age where we are increasingly told by the media that football isnt a sport any more, its a business, I would argue to the death that that isnt how the vast majority of supporters see it.

This initiative - to send JR and the board a positive message that we are with them on this - proves that in spades.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on August 09, 2011, 11:30:26 am by silent majority »
Spot on Rob!

Doncaster Rovers is a community asset and belongs to all of us. We should all play our part, the appeal is a great example of the community coming together and showing it cares. Those that can contribute more will.

PACMAN

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on August 09, 2011, 12:00:22 pm by PACMAN »
Can't be there tonight so donated what it would have cost, spend it wisely!!!!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on August 09, 2011, 12:24:37 pm by RoversAlias »
Adam makes a valid point though to be fair...1500 quid isn't a great lot of money when it comes to a new signing, I'm not sure I get this initiative. But I'm not saying I disagree wholeheartedly with it or anything, and I admire the people who are donating.

But the guilt trippers really need to get a grip...I spent over 50 quid towards the club to go to Brighton at the weekend, I've paid for my season ticket and will continue to pay for programmes, merchandise etc. throughout the season, I will not have anybody coming to me and saying \"where's your donation then!?\" in some stuck-up manner.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on August 09, 2011, 12:39:33 pm by wing commander »
Quote from: \"PACMAN\" post=173925
Can't be there tonight so donated what it would have cost, spend it wisely!!!!

Thats a fair point pacman,after the lads weekend away im not going tonight as ive hardly seen my kids for a few days.However ive just donated the entrance money and a pie to the cause...:scarf:

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on August 09, 2011, 12:42:26 pm by wing commander »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=173909
Quote from: \"Adam\" post=173904
£1,500?

HAHAHAHA    Negative, but true Adam.

Ever heard the phrase \"digging to Australia with a tea spoon\"?

I think it's admirable that so many people have contributed the £1500. Well done to them. But if you look at it in the cold light of day, it's a tiddling amount of money in football wages terms. Even if the club matched a £5000 total from the VSC that would pay a top class striker for less than a week!! Let's say we needed someone on Billys wages......£1500 would last approximately just short of one days wages.

IF the club are asking for people for this kind of cash in a recession, from an area which contains 3 of the top 10 most deprived areas in the UK (allegedly), they must be close to the wall!!!

Good luck to all anyway. I hope the gesture (because it's only a gesture), i
nspires the people with \"proper\" cash to pay up.

Well of course Ben you were the first to throw a few quid in werent you...Thought not judgeing by how long it used to take you to get to the bar ;-)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on August 09, 2011, 01:14:37 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
And now a proposal, rather than the money going straight to JR and the board, why doesn't the board say this.

\"great initiative now invest it positively\".

IE, give it to the fans as a marketing amount, a small amount but to use for initiatives that can bring in more people to matchdays with our fliers and promotions for example.  The club will soon realise that a bit spent on marketing will bring in much more money, unfortunately that time has still not come.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on August 09, 2011, 01:26:59 pm by wing commander »
Or you could buy lloyd shares with it,absolute bargains in the markets after the heavy falls,i reckon the bottom has been reached so at 31.5p i reckon in 3 months 55p or really push the boat out and buy some of the high rish high return ones...RANGE Recources 11p this morning could be a big big winner

Alternatively i could do the marketing round the pubs on saturday night,of course i would have to deduct expences..10 pints and a kebab...

Ollie the Legend!

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on August 09, 2011, 01:35:11 pm by Ollie the Legend! »
If I had £50 to give, I'd give it straight away, but obviously I can't due to my age. If there is a donation collection at tonight's game or Saturday's, I'll be sure to give what I can :rtid:

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on August 09, 2011, 01:36:06 pm by jonnydog »
Just out of interest, has anyone been informed who the loan striker would be?

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on August 09, 2011, 01:36:29 pm by jucyberry »
I guess you ony have to think of the last time the appeal went out when we wanted to buy Billy..Remember it wasn't the ammount raised, wonderful as it was, that was a drop in the ocean in football terms...Yet the gesture was massive, I remember reading JR was incredibly impressed. The gesture is being asked for again, lets hope with equal results. I don't suppose anyone expects everyone to be able to afford £50, some will give less, some more.. The ammount is just semantics, the gesture is the true donation., because it shows a cooperative urge to participate in helping Rovers.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on August 09, 2011, 02:41:54 pm by benaldo »
Thank god I've moved.....I'm unlikely to take a slow walk to the bar ever again in that neck of woods. Thankfully.

Gartom

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on August 09, 2011, 05:06:11 pm by Gartom »
Just a quick update.....

We have just passed the £1750 mark...so thanks for all the donations....
Jucy is spot on with her comments - its about showing suppport - be it a £5 or a £50...its the thought that counts.
Remember JR is human too...he was really on a 'downer' at the weekend - loss of strikers, a lack of funds - and he needed to dig deep. He knew we could not raise the funds to totally sort out a loan striker - but he needed some support to demonstrate to the less convinced folk around DRFC that the fans cared.....and wow have we shown just how we can rise to the occasion.

Please focus on the caring / giving...not the how much / we cant pay for a loan striker....that is not what this is about....

And ping! - another donation   :cheer:
Hmmm....is someone reading this over my shoulder!:ohmy:

OK, I'm off the soap box....sermon over....just keep giving...
Many thanks to all...

PLEASE NOTE: As we have so many new members from this initiative - it might be 2 or 3 days before I get out all the new member cards and share certificates...so please be patient...

Cheers,
Gareth
:scarf:

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on August 09, 2011, 06:11:01 pm by idler »
I'll donate on Saturday Gareth. If I pay via paypal it's our lass's account and she'll want to know why I'm wasting my money. She doesn't share my view on the importance of football. :)

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on August 09, 2011, 06:34:56 pm by Superspy »
Well here's a bit of positivity, half an hour before kick off and the queue outside the ticket office is bigger than anything I've seen for a league game over the last couple of years, so there's a bit more money in the pot

TinyPortal © 2005-2012