Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 08:26:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Time to go sean  (Read 20351 times)

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
Re: Time to go sean
« Reply #150 on August 21, 2011, 11:26:40 pm by Mr1Croft »
That was last season, we have brought in new players and rebuilding the squad, we have been unsucessful in the last 4 games but writing us off already is OTT. Come December and we are in the shit I may question his approach but with over 120 points to play for I refuse to accept we are dead and buried just yet...

We can argue untill the sun comes up, you have your opinion (which I respect) and I have mine, I think (for the good of my sleeping pattern) we have to agree to disagree on this matter frosty...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #151 on August 21, 2011, 11:28:05 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=178200
u cant put injuries to one side, thats the primary factor

No i'm sorry, you cannot blame the current run of form entirely on injuries. It just doesn't wash i'm afraid. I'm not saying it isn't playing a part, it obviously is, but other things come into play also.

Confidence, morale, passion etc.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #152 on August 21, 2011, 11:30:06 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"Mr1Croft\" post=178201
That was last season, we have brought in new players and rebuilding the squad, we have been unsucessful in the last 4 games but writing us off already is OTT. Come December and we are in the shit I may question his approach but with over 120 points to play for I refuse to accept we are dead and buried just yet...

We can argue untill the sun comes up, you have your opinion (which I respect) and I have mine, I think (for the good of my sleeping pattern) we have to agree to disagree on this matter frosty...

Thats fair play and I respect your opinion. I admit yesterday I was too hasty in calling for his head. I'm sat on the fence to be honest. If he was to be sacked I don't think I would be too upset about it, likewise I am content for him to have a fair crack at the whip and see what happens.

We all want the club to succeed, and everyone will have their own opinions.

Heres to three points on Saturday!

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #153 on August 21, 2011, 11:32:53 pm by drfcsteve »
I really don't understand how people can be so stupid. Sean O'Driscoll has revolutionised Doncaster Rovers, he has done SO much off the field in terms of making sure this club has the infrastructure to survive on one of the smallest budgets in the championship. In the conference, league 2 and even league 1 John Ryan could compete financially and we could spend our way to success, but the championship is another level, it is one of the richest leagues in the world full of massive clubs mostly still receiving millions of pounds from the premier league, we can't compete financially anymore so we need to do things differently to other clubs to survive and make sure we have systems in place, why can't people see this?!

I'm not knocking Dave Penney but he's proved so far he can't manage any other football team other than us successfully. Sean O'Driscoll on the other hand had been working wonders with Bournmouth for years with no money, and we are now in our FOURTH year in the championship, despite the fact that in every season in this league I would argue we have been in the bottom 3 in terms of resources available.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #154 on August 21, 2011, 11:41:52 pm by dickos1 »
Primary doesn't mean only.
 Injuries are our main problem. We outplayed Brighton only 2 weeks ago in the first half on their own patch. And look where they are now. That was a good side we sent out there, yesterday we had 4 players missing from that side, and by far our most important players when it comes to creating chances and scoring goals. There is no doubt about that.

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #155 on August 22, 2011, 12:48:34 am by Old Popsider »
On reflection I agree with you!! In my case tho' (or rather my Dad's), it's true:rtid:

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #156 on August 22, 2011, 12:48:51 am by Old Popsider »
On reflection I agree with you!! In my case tho' (or rather my Dad's,) it's true:rtid:

Evanz

• Forum Member
« Reply #157 on August 22, 2011, 12:50:46 am by Evanz »
I've been in California for 2 months now and haven't been able to watch the games so can't really comment on this season. So gutted about the injury front though. Can't wait to get back and see the mighty Reds. I honestly don't think SOD should be sacked, I would only do it if there was someone with a proiven track record out there who can operate with a very small budget and there just isn't at the moment. I think if SOD had Leicester's sort of money he would have a fantastic team. Even if we were to be in the bottom 3 at Xmas I'd give him to the end of the season, I mean its least he deserves giving the great job he has done keeping us in the division esepcially considering the injury nightmare the last year or so.

Come on Rovers.

charledrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #158 on August 22, 2011, 01:59:31 am by charledrfc »
Yes

Alex W

• Forum Member
« Reply #159 on August 22, 2011, 01:59:50 am by Alex W »
Just an outside view here, not sure it's applicable to all of them but most Derby fans think SOD is a decent manager, which was mentioned on our main forum after the game yesterday. Also worth mentioning that most of the reporters I spoke to before and during the game thought he was a decent manager too.

The injuries you've got to your key players is obviously going to hit you like this, without being a pr1ck about things even with your first team out you're probably only a mid-table side currently. So if you've got an injury crisis, where do you think you're going to end up?

At Derby we've had one pretty dire season recently where we had 14 first team players out, and a few youth players who'd have come in to boot. What do you think happened to us? We got beaten in most of the games that we suffered through that patch. We were fine once our players came back, but until in this league you're going to get punished.

While your key players are out you're going to suffer. It's like if you imagined Wolves without Jamie O'Hara/Stephen Hunt/Matt Jarvis and Stephen Fletcher. They'd be.....well...... stuffed.

Stick with him, in your financial situation I personally think hes done a hell of a job with Doncaster, especially considering hes always stuck to the philosophy that you should play football the right way. An admirable trait indeed.

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #160 on August 22, 2011, 03:37:45 am by Old Popsider »
Quote from: \"Alex W\" post=178213
Just an outside view here, not sure it's applicable to all of them but most Derby fans think SOD is a decent manager, which was mentioned on our main forum after the game yesterday. Also worth mentioning that most of the reporters I spoke to before and during the game thought he was a decent manager too.

The injuries you've got to your key players is obviously going to hit you like this, without being a pr1ck about things even with your first team out you're probably only a mid-table side currently. So if you've got an injury crisis, where do you think you're going to end up?

At Derby we've had one pretty dire season recently where we had 14 first team players out, and a few youth players who'd have come in to boot. What do you think happened to us? We got beaten in most of the games that we suffered through that patch. We were fine once our players came back, but until in this league you're going to get punished.

While your key players are out you're going to suffer. It's like if you imagined Wolves without Jamie O'Hara/Stephen Hunt/Matt Jarvis and Stephen Fletcher. They'd be.....well...... stuffed.

Stick with him, in your financial situation I personally think hes done a hell of a job with Doncaster, especially considering hes always stuck to the philosophy that you should play football the right way. An admirable trait indeed.

Reasonable post Alex. I reckon John Ryan will back Sean O'Driscoll as much as he can and that by the end of the season we'll be mid-table - once the dire injury situation improves. For some unknown reason the recovery rate from any injury at DRFC seems to be very slow. That's yet another subject that's been raised on more than one occasion on this forum.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #161 on August 22, 2011, 08:42:15 am by benaldo »
I'll say it again...

There are only Billy Sharp and James O'Connor from the injured list who would walk straight back into the team.

So, Injuries are not the problem. I'm not sasying SOD is the problem, but perhaps his new formation and way of playing it has something to do with it, or perhaps it's something like sun spots, or a gypsy curse. Whatever it is, I can see what SOD is trying to get the players to do and I think it'll come good in the end. The length of time until the end is the mute point though.

And the other thing I think that shags up things is taking a loan player - a la Brown - and being forced to play him as part of the contract, even if he turns out to be shite. Sometimes I feel SOD unearths 5 pieces of Iron Pyrite before he unearths a gold nugget.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #162 on August 22, 2011, 08:56:48 am by steve@dcfd »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=178238
I'll say it again...

There are only Billy Sharp and James O'Connor from the injured list who would walk straight back into the team.

So, Injuries are not the problem. I'm not sasying SOD is the problem, but perhaps his new formation and way of playing it has something to do with it, or perhaps it's something like sun spots, or a gypsy curse. Whatever it is, I can see what SOD is trying to get the players to do and I think it'll come good in the end. The length of time until the end is the mute point though.

And the other thing I think that shags up things is taking a loan player - a la Brown - and being forced to play him as part of the contract, even if he turns out to be shite. Sometimes I feel SOD unearths 5 pieces of Iron Pyrite before he unearths a gold nugget.

The players when fit who would come straight into the first team squad ie. 16 players would be Billy Sharp, James Hayter, Ryan Mason, Brian Stock, James Coppinger, Shelton  and Martin Woods all would have prove they are ready for the first team.

Going into the team well Billy Sharp, James Hayter, James Coppinger, Ryan Mason and Brian Stock.
By the way without the two loanees we would not have had a 16 man squad on Saturday. But it does not help the fluidity of the team when every week we are losing players and having to put new ones in.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #163 on August 22, 2011, 09:21:36 am by dickos1 »
Copps sharp hayter and Mason all started at Brighton. So it's nonsense to suggest they wouldn't be In our starting 11.

Rover87

• Forum Member
« Reply #164 on August 22, 2011, 09:37:18 am by Rover87 »
If any of you have played football, even at grass root level. You will know that sometimes things don't work for whatever reasons, and different people can draw different qualities out of their players.
Looking at the past and comparing Penney and Sod isn't gonna help us.
O'Driscoll did the job, he was asked to do but circumstances have changed.
Is SOD capable of getting everyone to fight, and win ugly at times?

Irish Branch

• Forum Member
« Reply #165 on August 22, 2011, 09:52:30 am by Irish Branch »
Quote from: \"steve@dcfd\" post=178239
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=178238
I'll
The players when fit who would come straight into the first team squad ie. 16 players would be Billy Sharp, James Hayter, Ryan Mason, Brian Stock, James Coppinger, Shelton  and Martin Woods all would have prove they are ready for the first team.

So the general concensus appears to be that the players who come back are much better than current incumbents, thats not a good position to be in. Many times SOD has said that he would only bring a player in if he was as good or better than what we have, so its still SOD at fault ( or whoever sanctions these deals). Personally i could not care less if SOD stays or goes ( by whatever means ), there is little to excite in the style of play he has always advocated, and 1 thing i know for certain is whatever the result of any match against DRFC i like being excited.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #166 on August 22, 2011, 10:07:51 am by dickos1 »
Of course they're  better, so' you think we should be going out and buying players as good as sharp coppinger stock o Connor?? That would cost us around 8 million. Where's that money gonna come from?? Unbelievable how people just think we can just go out and get anyone we want, especially when our crowds are as low as they are

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #167 on August 22, 2011, 10:17:46 am by CusworthRovers »
Injury Crisis is hitting us hard:

Stock, Woods, Mason, Martis, JOC, Billy, Hayts, Copps were all missing at Derby, and all these IMO would either start or push for a start or strenghten our bench. Having these players on the bench would give us options, increase confidence in the squad and morale.

My Best 11 would be, if available and on current form:

.......Woods.........

JOC....GF..SM......TS

.........BS.........
JC.......JO....MW

.........RM.........
.......BS..........

Subs....take your pick from Naylor, Chambo, Hird, Brown, Gillett, Bennett, Sulli and a whole host of players who have featured in the last 20 games.

Whilst some may differ, I would say 7 of our best players, be them on the bench or starting are not available to out manager.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #168 on August 22, 2011, 10:19:06 am by Wild Rover »
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=178246
Of course they're  better, so' you think we should be going out and buying players as good as sharp coppinger stock o Connor?? That would cost us around 8 million. Where's that money gonna come from?? Unbelievable how people just think we can just go out and get anyone we want, especially when our crowds are as low as they are

That was not what was said. It was a SOD quote where HE said no good bringing in players for sake of it, they need to be as good or better than what we have. Plainly that has not happened.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #169 on August 22, 2011, 10:26:06 am by dickos1 »
Yes when he's trying to strengthen the squad, that's correct but at the minute he's trying to just get bodies in and plug gaps. If we hadn't of got these youngsters on loan we wouldn't even of had enough subs. Every player he signed in the summer improved our squad.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #170 on August 22, 2011, 10:29:36 am by Wellred »
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=178246

You really do live in dreamland. Copps £500k? Stock £500 at best (who will buy a crock with an ongoing injury problem) O'Connor £250k

It would be nice to think Billy is worth £6.75 million.

Dream on. Or should that be keep taking the pills.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #171 on August 22, 2011, 10:30:13 am by CusworthRovers »
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=178252
Yes when he's trying to strengthen the squad, that's correct but at the minute he's trying to just get bodies in and plug gaps. If we hadn't of got these youngsters on loan we wouldn't even of had enough subs. Every player he signed in the summer improved our squad.

Keep it up fella. Everything you have written on all 9 pages and on all the various issues is bang on right.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #172 on August 22, 2011, 10:33:43 am by CusworthRovers »
To be fair Wellred, the monetary value of Copps and Stocky is mainly due to their age/injury record. Their value to this team is priceless when playing.

Grant Holt is probs worth diddly, but he's been priceless to Norwich, ditto K Davies and a whole host of players. It's not the monetary value, it's also their role within a system and within an organisation

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #173 on August 22, 2011, 10:36:30 am by dickos1 »
I live in dreamland?? Copps 500k o Connor 250k that's dreamland cocker. We wouldn't let either go for under a million. Even by your ridiculous figures we would still need over 4 million to replace them. Where's that coming from?????

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #174 on August 22, 2011, 10:47:51 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
It is the same as many players. Worth far more to their club than anyone would ever pay for them.

As for the management. ONe big positive is that they openly admitted a poor performance on Saturday as did the players - look at OSter on Twitter if you think the players don't care. The thing for me is how we react to the problems we have. Fingers crossed it's a positive reaction.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #175 on August 22, 2011, 10:52:58 am by Wellred »
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=178257
I live in dreamland?? Copps 500k o Connor 250k that's dreamland cocker. We wouldn't let either go for under a million. Even by your ridiculous figures we would still need over 4 million to replace them. Where's that coming from?????

I think if anyone came and offered a million for either of those two players JR would snatch their hands off as would most posters on this forum.

Is it next week you are back at school? or do you still have two weeks to go?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #176 on August 22, 2011, 11:00:19 am by dickos1 »
That old one, losing an arguement so throw in the you should be at school line, pathetic. Long time since I was at school sunshine. Why don't you do something else rather than watching rovers? Your negative post after negative post is astonishing. I don't think JR would snap anyones hand off offering a million for those two, he laughed off ipswichs offer of 400k and said it was nowhere near acceptable, and copp has signed a contract since. So get real,

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #177 on August 22, 2011, 11:13:17 am by Wellred »
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #178 on August 22, 2011, 11:13:53 am by CusworthRovers »
Listen boys, no need to give the small fish big pond talk or punching above our weight or the best squad talk, as we've heard it all before.

Our manager is the one to get the best out of this club and long may it continue. We need a dynasty building here like that is already in place. Be we go down 1 or 2 divisions or stay where we are we need the Sean doctrine in place.

We are only 4 games in and played well in 3 of them. Judge him on what he has achieved and try and compare another manager who has done the same. I can't, maybe Holloway

In comparison, you're beloved Adkins (who I also rate) was unable to keep Scunny in this league, Sean's done it for 3 seasons now. Neither was Ferguson (partly) at Posh. I wouldn't call neither of them failures at those respective clubs. In fact I think they've been awesome/legends on similar resources. As said, Sean has done what neither of those could do at similar clubs. There are a host of managers in this league who have proved to be failures on far more resources than Sean.

Like Scunny did, even if we go down the best thing we can do is stick with Sean to take us straight back up just like Scunny did with Adkins and Fergie again with Posh.

Sometimes, you don't know exactly what you've got, until it's gone.

As for the football.....I love it and it's the best I've seen at Donny in my time. I also include that, bar a few other clubs, on a nationwide scale. I accept it might piss some off, especially those who demand the here and now and the me me me me, I want I want approach

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #179 on August 22, 2011, 11:36:49 am by bobjimwilly »
Quote from: \"CusworthRovers\" post=178272
Listen boys, no need to give the small fish big pond talk or punching above our weight or the best squad talk, as we've heard it all before.

Our manager is the one to get the best out of this club and long may it continue. We need a dynasty building here like that is already in place. Be we go down 1 or 2 divisions or stay where we are we need the Sean doctrine in place.

We are only 4 games in and played well in 3 of them. Judge him on what he has achieved and try and compare another manager who has done the same. I can't, maybe Holloway

In comparison, you're beloved Adkins (who I also rate) was unable to keep Scunny in this league, Sean's done it for 3 seasons now. Neither was Ferguson (partly) at Posh. I wouldn't call neither of them failures at those respective clubs. In fact I think they've been awesome/legends on similar resources. As said, Sean has done what neither of those could do at similar clubs. There are a host of managers in this league who have proved to be failures on far more resources than Sean.

Like Scunny did, even if we go down the best thing we can do is stick with Sean to take us straight back up just like Scunny did with Adkins and Fergie again with Posh.

Sometimes, you don't know exactly what you've got, until it's gone.

As for the football.....I love it and it's the best I've seen at Donny in my time. I also include that, bar a few other clubs, on a nationwide scale. I accept it might piss some off, especially those who demand the here and now and the me me me me, I want I want approach

:aok:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012