Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 04:40:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Time to go sean  (Read 20345 times)

monkeytennis

• Forum Member
Re: Time to go sean
« Reply #90 on August 21, 2011, 03:59:24 pm by monkeytennis »
The fact is that we are the sole team in the Champ with zero points.

I think the injury situation needs to be explored more deeply - why don't other clubs have the same magnitude of issues as Rovers?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

charledrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on August 21, 2011, 04:03:06 pm by charledrfc »
Donny Osmond is talking BS. I am 92 years old and I am sure my use of the computer matches yours any day

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on August 21, 2011, 04:51:48 pm by SkellowRover »
Quote from: \"charledrfc\" post=177941
Donny Osmond is talking BS. I am 92 years old and I am sure my use of the computer matches yours any day

And you are talking BS. Apparently you have supported the club for 89 years but for some strange reason you are more depressed now then you were in the Richardson/Weaver era and the club going out of the league?

If that's the case you need to get a grip to be honest because these are the golden years of this football club.

charledrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on August 21, 2011, 05:09:47 pm by charledrfc »
You really are something else. You do not even know me and yet accuse me of diabolical things. I have nothing to prove to you but I easily could.I have no wish to enter into an extended debate with you. My long support of the club has already been rewarded.

You say I have supported another club... WRONG WRONG.   You say I am bull shitting... WRONG WRONG.

For you these may be the golden years. For me the golden years were the Doherty era when we played exciting football.
In any case that is in the past and I am concerned with the present.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on August 21, 2011, 05:10:11 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Funny isn't it how everybody has an opinion.  Pre-season there were lots of posts on here from people bemoaning the insistence on signing 'crocks' like Naylor.  We didn't need their experience, what we needed was youngsters from prem clubs with hunger and class.  Doesn't take the same people long suddenly to spout how dumb a policy it is when we actually try it does it.

Also, I seem to remember a thread discussing the issue of Martis and others stalling on taking surgery on long standing injuries.  \"It's his body to do what he wants with\" seemed to be a concensus of views from those for whom the club can do no right.

But now things aren't working out as hoped, we get the alternative view.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on August 21, 2011, 05:22:45 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"john_donc857\" post=177873
Look on the bright side fellow none season ticket holders. With a run of results like this it won't be long before we see the quid a kid and £15 an adult ticket on offer.

God I hope so!! :woohoo:

john_donc857

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on August 21, 2011, 05:35:03 pm by john_donc857 »
I'm not a leech DONNY RTID, I just think £27 to watch a team with one win in 22 is a little OTT. My opinion is that this tippy tappy football that S.O.D. Insists on playing will work as long as we've got quality fire power to finnish it off. The 1st season we stayed up was down to having an on fire paul heffernan when finally given the chance that is. The last 2 seasons we stayed up due to billy sharp. This system requires quality strikers so either john ryan and the other directors should back sean and get him at least one more top class 20 goal a season striker or its time to let sean go and achieve higher success else were

john_donc857

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on August 21, 2011, 05:35:06 pm by john_donc857 »
I'm not a leech DONNY RTID, I just think £27 to watch a team with one win in 22 is a little OTT. My opinion is that this tippy tappy football that S.O.D. Insists on playing will work as long as we've got quality fire power to finnish it off. The 1st season we stayed up was down to having an on fire paul heffernan when finally given the chance that is. The last 2 seasons we stayed up due to billy sharp. This system requires quality strikers so either john ryan and the other directors should back sean and get him at least one more top class 20 goal a season striker or its time to let sean go and achieve higher success else were

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on August 21, 2011, 05:44:48 pm by hoolahoop »
Dear oh dear oh dear , I had hoped that this ridiculous thread had finished by now.....oh well. :(

gillinghamrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on August 21, 2011, 05:50:47 pm by gillinghamrover »
If it is indeed time for S`OD to go, who pray tell are we going to get to replace him of equal or better quality? Yes its a pain in the arse on zero points but its not may2012 yet, judge S`OD then

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on August 21, 2011, 06:04:01 pm by SkellowRover »
Quote from: \"charledrfc\" post=177973
You really are something else. You do not even know me and yet accuse me of diabolical things. I have nothing to prove to you but I easily could.I have no wish to enter into an extended debate with you. My long support of the club has already been rewarded.

You say I have supported another club... WRONG WRONG.   You say I am bull shitting... WRONG WRONG.

For you these may be the golden years. For me the golden years were the Doherty era when we played exciting football.
In any case that is in the past and I am concerned with the present.

I've seen us play exciting football under virtaully every manager we have had from Bremner until now, that doesn't hide the fact that now in this age, that this is the best team and manager this club have ever had and i know plenty of people that were around in the Doherty era that feel the same (my parents included).

If you are more depressed now then at any other time following this club then i have a question for you..... How did you feel under Richardson when he was systematically destroying this club and when we went out of the league?

Cricketer3

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on August 21, 2011, 06:07:57 pm by Cricketer3 »
agree with you.lets not panic long way togo sod still right man for us and when every one is fit will prove it.untill then keep the faith:rtid:

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on August 21, 2011, 06:14:35 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
He'll get time still that's for sure, but if this run continues how long does he get?  The football has seen 1 goal in 4 games, a lack at times of creativity and poor quality mistakes.

ONly so much of it can be blamed on injuries and they are still good players taking to the pitch on good money.  If they can't do it then we've got to ask why they're even here?  For me they are under performing.  The lack of fight yesterday was the worry, let's hope that's a blip and we'll put it right soon.

ian1973

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on August 21, 2011, 08:50:48 pm by ian1973 »
Are the same ones sticking up for SOD the same ones who said Lewis Guy would come good???

Seriously though the so called tactical genius stuck with this player when plainly 99% of the genuine fans thought rightly he was c***.
Probably going to get slated here but here goes perhaps when we got promoted via wembley play offs did we go up because of SOD of in spite of SOD?
The squad imho that year was class and we should have gone up automatically not having to rely on play offs!!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on August 21, 2011, 09:02:50 pm by dickos1 »
Joke? Surely. The squad was class cause he built it. We lost out on auto promotion on last day. Penney didn't get us close to playoffs, we went up because of how good our manager is. End of

ian1973

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on August 21, 2011, 09:37:43 pm by ian1973 »
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=178102
Joke? Surely. The squad was class cause he built it. We lost out on auto promotion on last day. Penney didn't get us close to playoffs, we went up because of how good our manager is. End of

Did you actually see the game at Cheltenham where we seemed to play for a draw even though we needeed to win?
Back to the LG quote i make how many points did it cost us having him in the team?
Yes agree hes made some good signings but how many of that team were signed by DP?
How many big teams have we beat under SOD i seriously cannot see us giving Villa,Man city etc etc a challenge under him,we beat these teams by Penneys attitude of taking risks and Attacking football we certainly would not have run Arsenal so close by tip tapping it about in midfield and not shooting like SOD seems to favour.

Rover87

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on August 21, 2011, 09:41:06 pm by Rover87 »
The Championship is a great league, and Im proud Doncaster are part of it, but this season is our hardest in it. We have had the same problems and don't seem to have addressed them.
I dont get to many games anymore, as I am in the forces, although i do get as much info on our games as I can. I am sick of speaking to my dad and my mates after each game and hearing the same old things 'played great didnt put our chances awayway' or 'played good football were unlucky'. Its the same old. We lack the killer touch and spirit.
In my opinion SOD has done a brilliant job on a shoestring budget, but I have never been a fan of SOD's personnality and some of his negative tactics. The old excuses are getting boring now, the truth is we haven't learnt our lessons.
I am not doubting that SOD is a brilliant manager and plays the game in the right way, and he should never be forgotten at Donny and can walk away with his head held high, and probably onto better things.
But I am really concerned about his ability to change the gameplan, and get us to really battle and win ugly. We play great football at times, but it's points that count.
I think SOD has been a bit of a yes man to the board at times, and with a bit more backing I really think we had the potential to be pushing into the play-offs.
We might need a bit of a characther in to give us a ruthlessness that we lack throughout the team.
Peoples opinions are divided, but thats part of the game what would we talk about if we all agreed.
I think we can all agree though that something needs to happen, our backs are against the wall and we need to come out fighting!
Whats worse Im stuck with a Brighton fan and before the season I told him how underestimated we were and how we would easily finish above Brighton, oops!:unsure:

Come on Rovers!!

viking87

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on August 21, 2011, 09:42:05 pm by viking87 »
I agree with you redwine, we need to stick together.
We see it far too often people jumping on the managers back. This is purely a blip that can be overcome, as for SOD, he is a smart man and has my backing. RTID

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on August 21, 2011, 09:44:23 pm by dickos1 »
yes i was there in the home end.
The fact you state that penney made some signings from that squad proves my point greatly. Sod did so much more with the same players penney had.
Although the signings of stock, wellens, mills, hayter, woods were superb signings by sod who contributed unbelievably to us going up.
Surely your not saying you would rather we had penney now????

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on August 21, 2011, 09:50:47 pm by benaldo »
Quote from: \"Rover87\" post=178133
The Championship is a great league, and Im proud Doncaster are part of it, but this season is our hardest in it. We have had the same problems and don't seem to have addressed them.
I dont get to many games anymore, as I am in the forces, although i do get as much info on our games as I can. I am sick of speaking to my dad and my mates after each game and hearing the same old things 'played great didnt put our chances awayway' or 'played good football were unlucky'. Its the same old. We lack the killer touch and spirit.
In my opinion SOD has done a brilliant job on a shoestring budget, but I have never been a fan of SOD's personnality and some of his negative tactics. The old excuses are getting boring now, the truth is we haven't learnt our lessons.
I am not doubting that SOD is a brilliant manager and plays the game in the right way, and he should never be forgotten at Donny and can walk away with his head held high, and probably onto better things.
But I am really concerned about his ability to change the gameplan, and get us to really battle and win ugly. We play great football at times, but it's points that count.
I think SOD has been a bit of a yes man to the board at times, and with a bit more backing I really think we had the potential to be pushing into the play-offs.
We might need a bit of a characther in to give us a ruthlessness that we lack throughout the team.
Peoples opinions are divided, but thats part of the game what would we talk about if we all agreed.
I think we can all agree though that something needs to happen, our backs are against the wall and we need to come out fighting!
Whats worse Im stuck with a Brighton fan and before the season I told him how underestimated we were and how we would easily finish above Brighton, oops!:unsure:

Come on Rovers!!

You don't happen to be a sniper do you?

ian1973

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on August 21, 2011, 09:51:10 pm by ian1973 »
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=178138
yes i was there in the home end.
The fact you state that penney made some signings from that squad proves my point greatly. Sod did so much more with the same players penney had.
Although the signings of stock, wellens, mills, hayter, woods were superb signings by sod who contributed unbelievably to us going up.
Surely your not saying you would rather we had penney now????

No not for one minute but we moved on from DP because he had lost the team (apparently might i add) so where is the difference with SOD?
Also and without repeating my self some players LG for example was a better player under DP.Paul Greens better games imho were under Penney so tbh that argument doesnt hold water.

Rover87

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on August 21, 2011, 09:54:02 pm by Rover87 »
You don't happen to be a sniper do you?[/quote]

No, if i was i think I'd take a shot at that Leeds fan who posts on here;)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on August 21, 2011, 09:57:43 pm by dickos1 »
Lewis Gyy was never good enough under either manager.
As for Green that is only your opinion, my opinion is that from xmas onwards the year we went up, they were his best performances by a country mile.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on August 21, 2011, 09:57:55 pm by benaldo »
Quote from: \"Rover87\" post=178144
You don't happen to be a sniper do you?

No, if i was i think I'd take a shot at that Leeds fan who posts on here;)[/quote]

Damn, I had other jobs for you lined up.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on August 21, 2011, 10:06:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=178146
As for Green that is only your opinion, my opinion is that from xmas onwards the year we went up, they were his best performances by a country mile.

And O'Driscoll said at the end of that season that he was surprised because he didn't think Green was that good a player.

Let's all calm down a bit. You're getting hot under the collar and losing perspective. You say that Penney never got close to the play-offs. That's funny, cos I'm sure I remember having the radio glued to my ear while sat on the away end at Prenton Park when we had an outside chance of making the play-offs on the last day of 2005-06.

We then bought several players the next season to add to that squad, including Lockwood, Roberts, O'Connor, Stock and Sullivan, and went backwards for a year. It was only after we'd added Wellens, Hayter, Woods and Mills to the mix that we became promotion contenders. O'Driscoll is an excellent manager and finally did the job, but boy-oh-boy was he backed by the Board. He had resources the like of which Penney could have only dreamed of.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on August 21, 2011, 10:20:40 pm by dickos1 »
You say Finally but wasnt it Sods first full season in charge that we went up? Im sure penney signed roberts o connor lockwood et al, but sod signed stock dint he the year after that?
Sod was probably surprised at how good green had become, towards the end of that season he was incredible, millwall away for example.

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on August 21, 2011, 10:21:17 pm by Savvy »
Quote from: \"BillyStubbsTears\" post=178149
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=178146

And O'Driscoll said at the end of that season that he was surprised because he didn't think Green was that good a player.

Let's all calm down a bit. You're getting hot under the collar and losing perspective. You say that Penney never got close to the play-offs. That's funny, cos I'm sure I remember having the radio glued to my ear while sat on the away end at Prenton Park when we had an outside chance of making the play-offs on the last day of 2005-06.

We then bought several players the next season to add to that squad, including Lockwood, Roberts, O'Connor, Stock and Sullivan, and went backwards for a year. It was only after we'd added Wellens, Hayter, Woods and Mills to the mix that we became promotion contenders. O'Driscoll is an excellent manager and finally did the job, but boy-oh-boy was he backed by the Board. He had resources the like of which Penney could have only dreamed of.

Good bit of prospective there Bill! I'll add my two penneth now that the dust has settled from yesterdays result.  There is no way that Sean O'Driscoll should be removed from his job, what needs to happen is that the Chairman and the toothless two need to get the head from up their arses, stop pontificating regarding the stadium and give this fella the tools to do the job he's paid to do!  Then you can argue the toss over his ability.  Talking of which, how long do some of those calling for his head think he'd be out of work before he was snapped up? Even if he was sacked, the new manager would probably need to be given funds to turn things around, SO WHY NOT GIVE THEM TO ONE OF THE BEST MANAGERS WE'VE HAD IN YEARS.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #117 on August 21, 2011, 10:31:32 pm by Viking Don »
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=178155
You say Finally but wasnt it Sods first full season in charge that we went up? Im sure penney signed roberts o connor lockwood et al, but sod signed stock dint he the year after that?
Sod was probably surprised at how good green had become, towards the end of that season he was incredible, millwall away for example.

The players you mention were signed pre-season, Penney was sacked a few games in, Sean signed Stock at the same time he started, probably part of the deal to get him here. First game was Hudds away I think.

For what it's worth I agree with Savvy.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on August 21, 2011, 10:31:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Yes. And then he was sacked six matches later.

My point was that Penney took us to within touching distance of the play-offs. O'Driscoll finally managed it with a squad that had Lockwood, Woods, Wellens, Stock, Sullivan, Roberts, O'Connor and Hayter added to it.

That's a good bit of support from the Board. He has ALWAYS had support from the Board over and above what could be justified by the club's income. And way, way more financial support than Penney ever had. That makes it impossible to compare the two.

Put me in a Porsche 911 and Lewis Hamilton in a 2CV and guess who'd drive faster down Warmsworth Drag...

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on August 21, 2011, 10:35:52 pm by Chris Black come back »
Quote from: \"BillyStubbsTears\" post=178159

Yes. And then he was sacked six matches later.

He'd also by this time also signed Bruce Dyer and I think also Michele De Piedi...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012