Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 08, 2024, 11:56:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: When is a chairman not a chairman  (Read 4431 times)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
When is a chairman not a chairman
« on September 25, 2011, 09:07:46 am by steve@dcfd »
When he has two or three meetings told some home truths then changes his mind. Why is he still the focal point and face of the club when it is clear to see he is or was not speaking for the real owners. Let's hope he learns now that consultation with board members with more financial backing may stop him coming out with ridiculous statements that he can no longer back or fund.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

jmt

• Forum Member
Re: When is a chairman not a chairman
« Reply #1 on September 25, 2011, 09:17:54 am by jmt »
I think it's a job he had to do, with Sean not enjoying the media, i think he might be more in the background from now on though. It takes a big man to face the media as he has these last two days,  he didn't like it, his mouth said one thing but his body language said the other.

wabtec

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 25, 2011, 09:21:08 am by wabtec »
Quote from: \"steve@dcfd\" post=185712
When he has two or three meetings told some home truths then changes his mind. Why is he still the focal point and face of the club when it is clear to see he is or was not speaking for the real owners. Let's hope he learns now that consultation with board members with more financial backing may stop him coming out with ridiculous statements that he can no longer back or fund.
\\

Why dont you just get over it your hero has gone and quite rightly so,if sir john is that bad go and support leeds,or wait till odismall gets another job and f**k off there.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 25, 2011, 09:27:27 am by steve@dcfd »
Waiting for you to take the bait, well done now go and play with your train set.

wabtec

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 25, 2011, 09:31:00 am by wabtec »
Quote from: \"steve@dcfd\" post=185719
Waiting for you to take the bait, well done now go and play with your train set.

what bait you prick what exactly are you trying to do.

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 25, 2011, 11:08:46 am by DonnyRTID »

When is a supporter not a supporter!

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 25, 2011, 11:13:57 am by DonnyRTID »

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 25, 2011, 11:22:19 am by RTID75 »
I really do wish everyone could leave what has or has not happened behind the scenes to one side and get on with supporting the club. In the absence of the exact story from JR himself it's merely speculation and it's getting a bit tiresome now.

I don't doubt there has been some disagreements along the way and losing SoD must have been very difficult for JR, but he seemed to me yesterday to be happy enough. As supporters, let's trust his judgement and decisions, let the club as a whole get on with it and SUPPORT!

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 25, 2011, 11:25:44 am by DonnyRTID »
Quote from: \"RTID75\" post=185773
I really do wish everyone could leave what has or has not happened behind the scenes to one side and get on with supporting the club. In the absence of the exact story from JR himself it's merely speculation and it's getting a bit tiresome now.

I don't doubt there has been some disagreements along the way and losing SoD must have been very difficult for JR, but he seemed to me yesterday to be happy enough. As supporters, let's trust his judgement and decisions, let the club as a whole get on with it and SUPPORT!

Amen

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 25, 2011, 11:31:45 am by Berkshire Rover »
Quote from: \"wabtec\" post=185723
Quote from: \"steve@dcfd\" post=185719

Wabtec,

Your language and posts are causing offence to other members, emotions are running high about a lot of issues at the moment and we try to let the forum be as open and frank as possible, but personal abuse is not warranted or justified.

This equally applies to any poster using bad language directed at other forum posters.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 25, 2011, 11:45:12 am by idler »
Why does Wabtec have to call arguably the best manager we have ever had Odismal all of the time.
It seems very childish, and boring after a while. Maybe if you showed the man some respect your
own arguements might come across better.
You can't re-write history, the man won us our first ever national trophy and won a play off
final to get as into the Championship. That will never alter, check the record books every year.
Don't bother saying I'm living in the past either, maybe we did have to move on but the way it
was done leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
 I was there yesterday and felt a bit sorry that the first bit of good luck all season came after
SOD had gone.
I'll be there on Tuesday behind the team and the new manager but please respect what SOD did for us
over five years not just the final part of his tenure. He helped raise our profile to where it is
now, respected and known as a good footballing side.
That's just my opinion Wabtec, hope you can appreciate it even if you don't agree.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 25, 2011, 12:12:32 pm by jonnydog »
Respect is what this club has always been about, and IMO it's sad that the forum has been split between opinion on manager and is resulting in a lot of negativity, hostility, and agression between us. We all want the same thing, Survival/SUCCESS.

Yeah opinions differ, and thats healthy for all debates/conversation, but some on here are taking it to the extreme and IMO there's no place for that in football, or life! Why, next thing you'll hear about is our own supporters turning on each other in the South Stand or something!!  :)

On the topic of Saunder/SOD argument, I must add that yeah, we got luck with the shot of Osters yesterday, but do you honestly think if SOD was managing the game Oster would have hit it from there? Cos i'm not totally convinced.

I thank/wish SOD all the best for the future, but I wish Deano it more!! Thats just me wanting the best for OUR club though!

RTID

VikingJames

« Reply #12 on September 25, 2011, 01:48:24 pm by VikingJames »
It's clear that JR meant everything he said last Tuesday, but was overruled/talked round by the other directors in between backing Sean and getting rid of him.

I think JR has been made to look a bit stupid through no fault of his own. You can't really blame him for saying what he thinks on Tuesday, only to be told by the other two directors that they want a change. JR had to listen to the KM2 - he can't expect them to put their money into the club but not have any decision making power.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on September 25, 2011, 03:06:00 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, anything but looking forward is bad for your health. We need to let things go and move on although, whilst we have fans who still mourn the sacking of Dave Penney and the departure of Paul Heffernan, letting go is clearly more difficult.

Perhaps we should arrange some counselling sessions, just as they do for victims of traumatic loss.

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 25, 2011, 03:38:52 pm by jucyberry »
Quote from: \"idler\" post=185778
Why does Wabtec have to call arguably the best manager we have ever had Odismal all of the time.
It seems very childish, and boring after a while. Maybe if you showed the man some respect your
You can't re-write history, the man won us our first ever national trophy and won a play off
final to get as into the Championship. That will never alter, check the record books every year.
Don't bother saying I'm living in the past either, maybe we did have to move on but the way it
 I was there yesterday and felt a bit sorry that the first bit of good luck all season came after
SOD had gone.
I'll be there on Tuesday behind the team and the new manager but please respect what SOD did for us
over five years not just the final part of his tenure. He helped raise our profile to where it is
That's just my opinion Wabtec, hope you can appreciate it even if you don't agree.

perhaps people should post their ages on some of these threads, as you say  some sound terribly childish. It would be interesting to see how many have the rash fire of youth in their fingers and who are heading towards second childhood... :wink:

Some times I do wonder how old some posters are I must admit.

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 25, 2011, 04:27:06 pm by scuzzer »
Agreed JB, i used to like the format on the Yaurs forum where it had the posters age. Ladies could always use some artistic license!

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on September 25, 2011, 04:50:15 pm by jucyberry »
I'm 47 and not bothered who knows it.. never understand the age squeamish thing, just glad to be alive here..lol But I know what you mean Scuzzer.. :)

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 25, 2011, 04:55:23 pm by grayx »

Your hero has gone mate. Deal with it.

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 25, 2011, 04:58:01 pm by BRMC_rover »
Quote from: \"idler\" post=185778
SOD had gone.

My thoughts exactly. Good post. SOD created a team where we are subject to £3million bids for our top player. Did anyone think that would be possible 5 years ago? It doesnt seem long ago when we were all raving about Sunderland looking at making a 6 figure bid for Andy Watson. Wow! Six figures! SOD has put together a side with plenty of players worth over a million each. Unfortunately like many top managers around, you cant always continue to grow and eventually fall victim of your own success. Many more will follow. Good luck to him. He'l brighten up MOTD within 2 years anyway. Possibly join Redknapp and Joe Jordan, perhaps Birmingham next?

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 25, 2011, 04:59:24 pm by bobjimwilly »
Quote from: \"wabtec\" post=185723

Can everyone please watch their language and try and calm down a bit. The forum would be a lot duller place if we had to start banning people, but some of the posts are borderline threatening and we won't accept threatening behaviour.

Thanks.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 25, 2011, 05:08:26 pm by steve@dcfd »
Quote from: \"DonnyRTID\" post=185769

This supporter is a season ticket holder and a member of the Viking coop. This supporter although totally pissed off sorry for the language went and supportered my team yesterday. But this supporter is still upset with the chairman not because he sacked Sean, that's his job, but the way it was done. I am upset with the chairman, because he always embroiders the truth. Unlike some supporters yesterday who were totally two faced in the support for their team I have stuck to my principals. That said I have read the statement from Gartom and I will keep my views about the chairman to myself for now. Let's see what prevails. By the way I am 60 years of age and followed this club for many years, in fact stood side by side with John Ryan on the terraces in front of the belle vue main stand. I also have never blasphemed or had ago at another  supporter on this website, I state my views and man enough to take any flak that comes my way.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on September 25, 2011, 05:12:42 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"jucyberry\" post=185877
I'm 47 and not bothered who knows it.. never understand the age squeamish thing, just :thumbsup: glad to be alive here..lol But I know what you mean Scuzzer.. :)
47 and still defying gravity!

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 25, 2011, 08:38:52 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Quote from: \"Filo\" post=185883
Quote from: \"jucyberry\" post=185877
I'm 47 and not bothered who knows it.. never understand the age squeamish thing, just :thumbsup: glad to be alive here..lol But I know what you mean Scuzzer.. :)

47 and still defying gravity!

Feeling envious Filo? :laugh:

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 25, 2011, 08:46:03 pm by graingrover »
In respect to the OP .... I assume that now the facts as revealed by our VSC representatives have been reported that there will be an apology to the Chairman...on here to the same public ?

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 25, 2011, 09:00:37 pm by Barmby Rover »
The \"change of mind\" that occurred between Tuesday and Thursday was significant and drastic, not the sort of thing we really expect at Rovers, and why we were all shocked when we heard. The worst aspect of it is the way that Sean had dealt in such an honest and gracious way whenever he was approached by other clubs, but was then dealt with in a very precipitous way once the club had made a decision.
The only thing I find a bit worrying is that during the press conference is that the chairman had no idea about the new managers contract, how long it was or whether he had signed it. That has to make you think that actually JR had no influence or choice about the next manager, and that he will make the best of it, but has little influence any more. I hope I am reading far too much into a simple slip in a public arena, but it does make me wonder what the positions now are within the club.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 25, 2011, 10:01:40 pm by graingrover »
I shouldn't hold those fears Barnby ... not after what Gartom reported . But it IS likely that this is the first juncture at which JR has had to take account of the views of equal partners in the financial sense . For most years in tenure he was chief bank roller and the natural spokesman of his own ideas at his own club . He has done very very well to attract two wealthy millionaires onto the Board but cannot just expect them to contribute without participating in the most strategic of club decisions. According to  Gartom's report ... this decision was a joint decision . I believe that.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on September 25, 2011, 10:03:58 pm by silent majority »
Quote from: \"Barmby Rover\" post=185955
The \"change of mind\" that occurred between Tuesday and Thursday was significant and drastic, not the sort of thing we really expect at Rovers, and why we were all shocked when we heard. The worst aspect of it is the way that Sean had dealt in such an honest and gracious way whenever he was approached by other clubs, but was then dealt with in a very precipitous way once the club had made a decision.
The only thing I find a bit worrying is that during the press conference is that the chairman had no idea about the new managers contract, how long it was or whether he had signed it. That has to make you think that actually JR had no influence or choice about the next manager, and that he will make the best of it, but has little influence any more. I hope I am reading far too much into a simple slip in a public arena, but it does make me wonder what the positions now are within the club.

You are reading too much into it. The influence is all his, there is only one one Chairman of this football club. There are numerous posts on this site which refute the lack of decision making and control that JR has, accept that some people have tried to explain how all this came about. Try looking for the positives.

donnybel

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on September 25, 2011, 10:57:32 pm by donnybel »
Seems to me that JR's main fault is that he tries to support all of the people all of the time. None has sung Sean's praises more than him. Iknow for a fact that at least one other director has found Sean hard to deal with.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on September 26, 2011, 01:16:08 pm by Wild Rover »
SOD has put together a side with plenty of players worth over a million each.[/quote]

Well i for one would dearly love to know where all these million pound players are. Perhaps a figment of wild imagination i fear. With the exception of BS i cant say i have seen one. Possibly James Coppinger comes closest to that figure and he would not command half that fee.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on September 26, 2011, 07:29:56 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Quote from: \"Wild Rover\" post=186126
SOD has put together a side with plenty of players worth over a million each.

Well i for one would dearly love to know where all these million pound players are. Perhaps a figment of wild imagination i fear. With the exception of BS i cant say i have seen one. Possibly James Coppinger comes closest to that figure and he would not command half that fee.[/quote]

Here's a clue Wild Rover, they're not all at the club now, but they nevertheless have provided that value to the club in transfer and sell on fees.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012