Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 03:04:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: McKays' scheming  (Read 22813 times)

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
Re: McKays' scheming
« Reply #90 on October 21, 2011, 03:48:23 pm by The L J Monk »
Quote from: \"DearneValleyRover\" post=193074
Quote from: \"The L J Monk\" post=193071
How do Barnsley survive at this level?

By having a crook for a chairman and by doing deals with agents that we wouldn't have done in the past. Our new way of doing things is out in the open, other Clubs will be doing far dodgier things than what we are proposing but aren't as open.

Having open dealings with Willy McKay is something of a curate's egg no?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on October 21, 2011, 04:35:18 pm by MrFrost »
Its going to be interesting, but if it fails, it could be an absolute disaster, and everything we have worked hard to build over the last 10 years or so will have all been in vain.

Townender

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on October 21, 2011, 04:54:12 pm by Townender »
So......who`s name do we put on our shirts this week?

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on October 21, 2011, 05:03:48 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=193088
Its going to be interesting, but if it fails, it could be an absolute disaster, and everything we have worked hard to build over the last 10 years or so will have all been in vain.

I think the world superstars in Div One would piss it!Remember a 2 year deal!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on October 21, 2011, 05:30:07 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Would we rather have 'fringe' players sitting on 2 year deals or supplementing the first team squad with class shot term deals.

Deano's challenge is to balance key players on longer term deals and manage the turnover of players on short term deals/loans.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on October 21, 2011, 05:31:33 pm by albie »
Article about Rovers and our new Willy;
http://www.twohundredpercent.net/?p=15744

First of many I think!

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on October 21, 2011, 05:47:00 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Quote from: \"The L J Monk\" post=193080
Quote from: \"DearneValleyRover\" post=193074
Quote from: \"The L J Monk\" post=193071
How do Barnsley survive at this level?

By having a crook for a chairman and by doing deals with agents that we wouldn't have done in the past. Our new way of doing things is out in the open, other Clubs will be doing far dodgier things than what we are proposing but aren't as open.

Having open dealings with Willy McKay is something of a curate's egg no?

Possibly, I'm defending the decision but it doesn't mean I like it. Loyalty in football only exists with the fans. Players couldn't care less in the main (I know there are exceptions but they are few) JR is a fan, he has never sold us down the river only given reality to what most of us could only dream about. We have come to a crossroads, we don't own the statium, our main investor has withdrawn his support, our previous manager (God love him) had lost it, we were not just going to get relegated but put into financial difficulties. No sign of new investment and no way out. Then a man with an unsavavoury reputation who has no love for the club but is a friend of JR's has a little chat, opens JR's eyes because let's face it he has been a litle niave (call it loyal) and gives him a way out, a chance to preserve the legacy and complete the dream, does it sit comfortably? No, am I going to raise hell and deny someone who has delivered more and fulfilled more sporting dreams than I'm entitled to a chance to finish what he started, DAMN NO, I trust JR now as I did in those early dark day's. He has never let us down and I don't for one second think he his doing so now. It may be an uncomfortable path for the purist who wishes to be loved by patronising fans of other clubs but I doubt SIR JOHN would undertake this venture if he thought for one second he would put his beloved club at risk.

Have your doubts, fine but show your support, it's about time our fans stopped whingeing about everything this club, Chairman, Manager and players(whoever they are)do.:rtid:

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on October 21, 2011, 06:03:49 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Great post.

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on October 21, 2011, 06:07:25 pm by Berkshire Rover »
seconded!

:rtid:

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on October 21, 2011, 06:18:40 pm by PDX_Rover »
Great post by DVR. When I read the article I was horrified BUT I've warmed to the idea. I think we simply have to trust JR on this one. He's brought us this far so why not further.  There is little loyalty in football nowadays.  The 'career at one club' players are few and far between nowadays.  As long as the loanees complement the squad we already have and add quality to it, then I trust the management team and board with this.

It will be interesting.  And there's no reason why we can't dream of being a club like Wigan is there?  If we have the ground and get promoted, who's to say we won't have to extend the ground? It's good to have aspirations.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on October 21, 2011, 06:31:45 pm by drfc1951 »
it is good to have aspirations, better than playing in league one or two with no real ambition.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on October 21, 2011, 06:38:30 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Quote from: \"drfc1951\" post=193118
it is good to have aspirations, better than playing in league one or two with no real ambition.

Should be applauded after all we are trying to stop in this league may as well just pack up listening to some of this crap....

The current set of players are not good enough simple as and thats why we lose week in and week out!

We owe them nothing as I keep saying they dont love this club they love football.....kissing the badge all b*llocks sadly.

The players play for us cos we pay them and like a hooker they will go to another who pays more money ....lets get flaming real!

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on October 21, 2011, 06:40:43 pm by dknward2 »
When I first read it I was glad that we was doing something so different. I thought all it takes is two players to come make big money moves after 3months playing for little old donny and then see how many more come knocking wanting their slice of the humble pie served by JR and co.

Typical leeds fan at work could only see the bad saying \"well what if you get a player who scores ten goals then gets sold then you will be stuck\" so I said \"we will get someone else\"

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on October 21, 2011, 06:43:49 pm by Viking Don »
Could only manage reading the first 4 pages of this thread. All I can say is I'll believe it when I'm sat it in.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on October 21, 2011, 07:21:37 pm by Muttley »
JR's sold the club's soul (or what was left of it) to a crooked chancer on the make.

Is this really what I protested for, invaded pitches for, handed out leaflets for, stuck up posters for to get rid of a crooked chairman? So we can be used to line the pockets of a wheeler dealer.

How much are tickets for Armthorpe Welfare?

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on October 21, 2011, 07:26:26 pm by The L J Monk »
After all that's gone before I'm pretty disgusted by this approach. But there's no doubting that it sits well with the ethos of the modern game. McKay himself sums it up best when he says \"I’ve been honest enough to admit I’m only here for the money\".

drfc_burton_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on October 21, 2011, 07:27:48 pm by drfc_burton_drfc »
IMO i think you could say copps loves this club he has been here for years and could have gone in the summer if he wished to but he is staying for the rest of his career

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on October 21, 2011, 07:34:57 pm by ditch_drfc »
Quote from: \"Muttley\" post=193130
JR's sold the club's soul (or what was left of it) to a crooked chancer on the make.

Is this really what I protested for, invaded pitches for, handed out leaflets for, stuck up posters for to get rid of a crooked chairman? So we can be used to line the pockets of a wheeler dealer.

You supposedly did all that protesting, invading pitches and handing out leaflets to stop supporting the club NOW?! You're a joke man!

This attitude is just unbelievable. Yes, many of us feel slightly uneasy with what's going on. I myself have a few reservations. But seriously, have some faith in JR. The man knows what he is doing.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on October 21, 2011, 07:52:22 pm by Wellred »

Bye, enjoy your afternoons at Armthorpe.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on October 21, 2011, 08:20:57 pm by Muttley »
Quote from: \"ditch_drfc\" post=193134

You supposedly did all that protesting, invading pitches and handing out leaflets to stop supporting the club NOW?! You're a joke man!

This attitude is just unbelievable. Yes, many of us feel slightly uneasy with what's going on. I myself have a few reservations. But seriously, have some faith in JR. The man knows what he is doing.

Always said I'd probably jack it in when Rovers got to the circus of the Premiership.

Looks like the clowns are running the show but without the Premiership Big Top.

Faith in JR? The man who seemingly can't transfer his mighty business acumen to running a football club and changes his mind at the drop of a hat. Glad hed did what he did, when he did but he ain't the Messiah that many people think.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on October 21, 2011, 08:40:26 pm by BigH »
Muttley me old marra what would you suggest?:

a) we do nothing - continue to lose, crowds dwindle, players flee in January, we sink
b) we wait for everyone to return from injury because that's the only thing that's stopping us from competing...get real
c) we reappoint SOD because he's SOD. The man himself said he could do no more
d) the Board throw kagillions at trying to compete with the likes of West Ham, Leicester, Southampton, Ipswich etc by playing a shed load of players on inflated wages...it's not going to happen. Would you be that dumb?
e) we hook up with an agent that can help us access players that otherwise would not even think about coming here but which will, at least, allow us to compete. Remember, we've just gone 19 games without being able to compete

Personally, I'd rather we do something than nothing. Having seen Chimbonda and Ilunga give the team a bit of a boost on Tuesday, there may be some merit in the madness after all.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on October 21, 2011, 09:09:06 pm by Muttley »
(a)

I'd rather we got relegated with some integrity intact, without turning the club into some sort of freak show for McKay's has-beens, never will-be's and misfits. Stand up tall and say we gave it a go, but we weren't good enough this year but we'll be back next time.

(Wasn't at Blackpool, but I thought Ilunga was complete bobbins v Leeds)

So what happens when we've sold all our contracted players (eg Sharp) then McKay runs out of overpaid, unfit drop-outs who want to come to a cultural backwater?

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on October 21, 2011, 09:24:20 pm by The L J Monk »
Quote from: \"BigH\" post=193156
Muttley me old marra what would you suggest?:

e) we hook up with an agent that can help us access players that otherwise would not even think about coming here but which will, at least, allow us to compete. Remember, we've just gone 19 games without being able to compete

Is this the only alternative?

How about you say, \"Sean, thanks for your efforts, but it's  time to try someone else now\", and you give Paul Tisdale, or someone similar, a shot at working on limited resources at a higher level.

This idea that without McKay we were doomed is nonsense, and the idea that relegation was the end of the line is also nonsense. We have competed, and successfully, at this level before without the like of McKay and we could have done so again.

Sean could do no more, but the players we have certainly can. The majority of this squad were pushing for the playoffs in December last year.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on October 21, 2011, 09:42:43 pm by albie »
So basically the DRFC brand has been franchised to the business interest of Willie Mackay for the next 2 years.

Willie has executive control of all playing matters, by contract, subject to Saunders opinion, with a brief to deliver Championship standard at £4m per annum.

Conflict of interest raises its head here. How can he ensure the best option for his clients as a agent, whilst at the same time making the right decisions in the interest of DRFC?

No point bringing in players who cannot get exposure, so they need to play regardless of performances, team tactics etc. Saunders role as \"manager\" is effectively sidelined to that of assistant to the main man, who controls all the levers.

It looks like any benefits to DRFC are incidental to the business interest of WM. They may happen, but then again, what if they don't. Can DRFC end the deal before the 2 years, without any penalty?

If the FA think this is OK then they need to consider what happens when this mushrooms into the normal business practice of the football industry.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on October 21, 2011, 09:48:22 pm by wilts rover »
I'll believe it when I am sat in it!! Or more succicently, if its in the Daily Mail then its probably b*******ks. So where are all these leading world stars queuing up to play for Donny Rovers then? 27th September this deal was signed and we have had what, a bloke who doesnt't have anything better to do for 2 months before he goes to Canada, an 'ordinary' loan from West Ham cos Big Sam is doing us a favour, some bloke from Blackburn who was sent back cos he was rubbish and a bloke with a bad back from Wigan who is not in McKay's pool anyway? The most high profile player we have been linked with has just signed for West Ham.

Wilie Mckay is a showman and out to make money for himself (as he admits) - if that helps Rovers by getting quality players in on loan, all well and good, but just because he says it is going to happen, doesnt mean it will - but he has the publicity and platform he wanted.

We live in interesting times

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on October 21, 2011, 09:49:09 pm by Viking Don »
Even in this league football is a squad game, and although the squad were pushing for promotion last december, we only have to look at how it panned out to realise that the squad was only just good enough.

Seriously, if you want small time league and no fans stuff and miss that then you can always go see Armthorpe and still support Rovers. If anyone just wants to watch a team for watching a teams sake and doesn't care if they win lose or draw then there's a lot of sunday league football around. I've supported Rovers since I was about 8 and have always wanted them to win, winning leads to where we are now (or may be if these world beaters turn up).

I really don't know what fans want, I just us to win games and score goals so I can jump around and act mental once a week without getting carted off to the asylum. It's just football FFS, don't read any more into it, yes it's a big money thing but if it stopped tomorrow we'd survive, I promise you.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on October 21, 2011, 09:57:56 pm by wilts rover »
Quote from: \"albie\" post=193177

If the FA think this is OK then they need to consider what happens when this mushrooms into the normal business practice of the football industry.

Richardson did it, as did Barry Fry, that bloke at Hearts and probbaly a few more besides, the bloke who pays the players arranges the transfers, picks the team - somebody else just does at bit of coaching. Its a bit more normal on the continent as well I understand, the people who run the clubs decide who is playing for them. I personaly dont like it but nothing to do with the FA.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #117 on October 21, 2011, 10:04:48 pm by graingrover »
ENGLISH FOOTBALL and Premiership GREED deserves this type of business initiative .and Donny Rovers is the perfect vehicle .We will be the Donny Globetrotters of football.  Much more likely that the Keepmoat will be breaking even with this model than with West Lifers !
         IF we stay in the Championbship this season we will have started a Fottball Revolution and copy cat schemes with mushroom throughout Europe amongst otherwise ever impoverishing clubs .

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on October 21, 2011, 10:06:47 pm by Barmby Rover »
The club has ceased to be Doncaster Rovers now, it is another Franchise FC club. Let's call it McKays All Stars and cease to think of it as a club that has fought it's way through three divisions to get where it stands now. We have a nominal Chairman, what else can he be if he is not consulted about how the club is run, about the money to buy and sell players? What should any of the present squad do now that the team sheet will be filled by journeymen coming and going over a few weeks such as Chimbonda? If they have any sense for their own careers they get out, as they will never have a settled place so long as they can be replaced by players who MUST play if they are to advertise themselves to make Mr.McKay money. DS has no control over any of this, and cannot pick the team, can he leave Chimbonda out of any game, no matter how badly he plays? Of course not. My Rovers died a couple of weeks ago.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on October 21, 2011, 10:12:04 pm by Viking Don »
Get a grip FFS, you sound like your daughter just died. It's football in 2011, get used to it or go bowling.

Brian, you're dead right!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012