Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 03:26:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Why we lost last night  (Read 7871 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Why we lost last night
« on November 02, 2011, 08:10:54 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Ok so the defence wasn't at its best but yet again we saw the midfield getting dominated.  Now, I'll cut them some slack (particularly Gillett who was left too isolated) because we effectively had one central midfielder playing their last night.  Mason is more of an attacking player and looked to be doing well until he was pretty cynically hacked down by Bailey (who on another night could and should have been sent off for the amount of cynical fouls he committed).

Clearly it is an issue.  Alright we've Stock, Oster, Woods etc missing from in there which is probably your first choice 3, but it makes the decision to let Wilson go look rather silly at the moment.  Nobody at all got their foot on the ball second half and that meant we just gave the ball away too easily.  Even the two goals in the first half were caused by silly midfield passses.  Forget any other areas, unless we get central midfielders in we've no chance of being competitive at all.  Fair play to Saunders for trying Friend in there, it was worth a shot, but he looked like a fish out of water.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Why we lost last night
« Reply #1 on November 02, 2011, 08:32:09 am by DearneValleyRover »
Our midfield has been the problem since Christmas last year, if you don't keep the ball and stop the opposition they will over run the defence.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 02, 2011, 08:37:51 am by DonnyNoel »
There was an incident eearly in the second half (around 53/54 minutes as I deliberately made a note of the time like a loser) where we lost the ball in the Boro RB area, 10 seconds later the ball was in our box and it wasn't through a hoofed clearance. Teams don't have to work to move the ball 60 yards against us. Ilunga made some decent interceptions but I still wouldn't say he's a \"foot in\" kind of player. It doesn't help if we're forced to change the team due to injuries but hopefully there's better on the way from either the current crop or some new faces.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 02, 2011, 08:41:33 am by Wellred »
I think that has been something that we have never been able to do for a long long time.

We simply cannot move the ball forward quickly. It is either a long ball out to the wing or endless passes which allow the opposition to get back in numbers.

Donny3

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 02, 2011, 08:49:31 am by Donny3 »
Last night we saw exactly what we are missing, someone in front of the back four that can trap the ball and spray a pass the ball to the front players to their feet.  Middlesbrough had two of these players, and were allowed to move the ball quickly.
Too many times we backed off and allowed them space to run or pass the ball.  It didnt help when there was no real midfielders.  But we need a leader in there, players didnt look like they had much of an idea what they were doing.  Gillett was up and down the field, but we didnt need that he needed to sit in the middle, we already had 3 up front.
Hayter as always gave 100%, and won the majority of headers, just wish he had some resembelence of pace.
I can understand why Saunders is saying we're short all over the park!!

roverssam1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 02, 2011, 08:54:51 am by roverssam1879 »
Ilunga for me was terrible, the worst rovers player on the pitch, i wasnt sure to be honest actually where he was playing at times. i dont agree that we missed oster but i do like gillet its just a shame he hasnt got wellens (or some one of that build along side him) Mcphail or commons....Doolan !!!

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 02, 2011, 08:56:50 am by Padge_DRFC »
Put Sam Hird in the midfield someone who can actually get stuck in and won't chip the ball with every 2 yard pass and mis-control the ball because hes so small.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 02, 2011, 09:00:56 am by DonnyNoel »
Quote from: \"Padge_DRFC\" post=196273
Put Sam Hird in the midfield someone who can actually get stuck in and won't chip the ball with every 2 yard pass and mis-control the ball because hes so small.

That's been tried a couple of times before though with almost zero success. He just ends up getting either pulled all over or dropping too deep. It could be coached I imagine but do we have that time?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 02, 2011, 09:22:14 am by Wellred »
Quote from: \"roverssam\" post=196272
Ilunga for me was terrible, the worst rovers player on the pitch, i wasnt sure to be honest actually where he was playing at times. i dont agree that we missed oster but i do like gillet its just a shame he hasnt got wellens (or some one of that build along side him) Mcphail or commons....Doolan !!!

Its even more of a shame that he can't control a ball, tackle or pass either. Oh well I guess you can't have everything.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 02, 2011, 09:22:40 am by Wellred »
Quote from: \"DonnyNoel\" post=196274

That's been tried a couple of times before though with almost zero success. He just ends up getting either pulled all over or dropping too deep. It could be coached I imagine but do we have that time?

How many years do you need?

Donny3

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 02, 2011, 09:51:23 am by Donny3 »
We need to stop playing defenders in midfield, we are at a level now that we need to bring in players and play them where they were intended. Fed up of us trying it, if we desperatly short of midfielders then fair enough, but putting Cops on there instead would have been better. Whats happened to Baxendale, he looks good in midfield when he played earlier in the season, much better than pointless Barnes (another player that promises and fails)

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 02, 2011, 11:44:44 am by grayx »

That's it, I've had enough. Computer off.

DRFCBRADFORD

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 02, 2011, 12:29:26 pm by DRFCBRADFORD »
IF WE HAVE ANY CHANCE OF STAYING UP ,PLEASE SAUNDERS GO AND GET A MIDFIELD ENFORCER .

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 02, 2011, 12:32:28 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"DRFCBRADFORD\" post=196337
IF WE HAVE ANY CHANCE OF STAYING UP ,PLEASE SAUNDERS GO AND GET A MIDFIELD ENFORCER .

Do you know what the caps button is for?

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 02, 2011, 01:22:12 pm by Superspy »
Quote from: \"Filo\" post=196339
Quote from: \"DRFCBRADFORD\" post=196337

Do you know what the caps button is for?

THANKS NOW I DON'T NEED TO HOLD SHIFT ANY MORE!

;):laugh:

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 02, 2011, 01:37:47 pm by benaldo »
I thought, for a defender, Illunga did a good job in midfield last night. He was much better than Stock in that position, or Gillett, or Hird (obviously), or, bless him, george. I think if I'd had been George friend last night, I'd have subbed myself after 10 seconds in midfield. Watching him last night was like watching a blind giraffe being chased by a pride of very hungry, and cruel, lions.

Midfield has never been good since Wellens left. We never replaced that role with anyone other than a SOD umpa lumpa. And some of the others have their own issues too, like Oster is getting old, Stock is half the man he was, Mason has pipe cleaners for legs, Gillett wouldn't be allowed to buy fags without ID. It's all too lighweight and scared. There isn't a leader among them. Not one of them to take a game and boss things.

I think Diouf is a fantastic signing, and it showed last night that we needed more of his kind of play, direct, no nonsense, fight, guile, aggression. Two central midfielders like him and it gives room for bennett and Barnes/Oster/Coppinger to tear at a defence. It's all too lightweight in midfield and George isn't the answer, nor Hird. And asking current players to \"step up to the mark\" isn't working. If they couldn't fight last night for Billy, what the f**k is really going to motivate them??! They can't do it, that's the simple answer.

So, we could do with a midfield that has two new centre midfielders and continue to use Bennett, Oster, Coppinger, Barnes on the wings or in front of the new two.

Now to defence. Lots of people think the midfield are responsible for every time Shelton Martis trips over the ball, or falls over, or is looking the wrong way. Or that Friend is not a footballer. A rubbish midfield doesn't help the defence, but martis and friend are honestly part of the problem. Sullivan too, for the first time for me, looked his age. I hadn't seen a keeper move so slowly since the conference days...honestly! I thought to myself last night that Andy Warrington would have easily saved two of those goals, and possibly got a hand on the penalty!? The damage that SOD has done to Doncaster Rovers is so deep, that it's going to take a while to get things right again. I believe in Saunders and the plan with Mackay, but it's not going to happen until more players come in.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 02, 2011, 02:37:07 pm by Mr1Croft »
Quote from: \"Donny3\" post=196269
Last night we saw exactly what we are missing, someone in front of the back four that can trap the ball and spray a pass the ball to the front players to their feet.  Middlesbrough had two of these players, and were allowed to move the ball quickly.
Too many times we backed off and allowed them space to run or pass the ball.  It didnt help when there was no real midfielders.  But we need a leader in there, players didnt look like they had much of an idea what they were doing.  Gillett was up and down the field, but we didnt need that he needed to sit in the middle, we already had 3 up front.
Hayter as always gave 100%, and won the majority of headers, just wish he had some resembelence of pace.
I can understand why Saunders is saying we're short all over the park!!

We do have one of these players, but apparently he is dead wood and loaned out to Wrexham. To me the best Rovers midfield was in 09/10 when Wilson featured in most of the games, constantly slagged off but as he plays less and less games we keep flirting with the bottom three.

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 02, 2011, 03:16:00 pm by CJK »
For me, we were simply set up too offensively is the yanks would say. We were over run in midfield because we had too many players committed up the field. Time and again in the first half our left back area was left massively exposed and Boro quickly capitalised on this often pushing two players down their right side to take advantage and overlap. It was plain to see from where I was sitting but obviously the management were non too bothered by it.

We need a steady four midfielders to compete in this leage, playing Ilunga and Gillett as the only real centre midfielders was never going to work against a strong Boro team. And for the record, I don't think Ilunga is up to much anyway.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 02, 2011, 03:31:21 pm by Donnybob »
The damage that SOD has done to Doncaster Rovers is so deep, that it's going to take a while to get things right again. I believe in Saunders and the plan with Mackay, but it's not going to happen until more players come in.

Oh dear, then we are in the sh*t!

Perhaps I've got it wrong but isn't the maximum permitted number of loan players in any match day squad supposed to be five? With 4 playing last night that only leaves us scope to add one more before the transfer window opens.

I also thought we were supposed to be reducing the wage bill. How attractive to top quality players do you think the second hand car lot set-up at this club will be in the transfer window? Especially if we're bottom of the league as you now appear to be realising.

Do you seriously think the board is going to plough any money into a rescue bid under a failing manager in January when the realistic prospect of relegation will entail a dramatic cut in revenue the following season? The time to invest was last January and then again in the summer. It didn't happen, did it? Was that SOD's fault, too?

Saunders has not got time. He has 8 matches in which to lick this team into shape and climb the league pretty much with what he's got now or we might as well accept that no quality players will be signed on a long-term basis and the better ones we currently have will have to be offloaded.

We are in a crisis. Happy clap all you like, congratulate sir John on his bold move and astute decision to panic when a steady head was required. But do try and take on board that getting relegated would not have been the end of the world had we managed it in a proper and constructive manner while going all gung-ho and reckless could very well leave us in serious financial trouble.

Blaming SOD might make you feel better but the guy was a dignified, thoutful and respected manager. He had to work within the constraints put upon him. He had to scrape the barrel and find diamonds. He bought just one player for more than £300K in the entire time he was here and he was last night's hero.

Last night you had millionaire loan players on that field, one of whom has been transferred for 40 times the £300K paid out for Mills and still it made no difference. SOD was blamed for all the injuries by folk as daft as you yet last night we supposedly had a whole bunch of new injuries - were they SOD's fault?

Jeez Benaldo, get over it. SOD's gone. You don't need to dance on his grave at every oppostunity. With key players gradually returning from injury and the addition of Willie's all-stars Soundbite has practically got a brand new team to play with. He should be doing far better than 1 point from 15. Try concentrating on the present and the future rather than the past.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 02, 2011, 03:49:59 pm by benaldo »
erm....Donnybob, the star readers alf garnet.

Sullivan - Contract player
Chimbonda - Contract player
Naylor - Contract player
Friend - Contract player
Martis - Contract player
Illunga - Loan
Gillett- Contract player
Hayter - Contract player
Diouf - Contract player
Sharp - Contract player
Mason - Loan

Perhaps, Donnybob, you might want to slow down a little, take a deep breath, put the SOD posters into storage, and look at the facts before spouting drivel?

Take the donnybob challenge....and start supporting Rovers instead of moaning all the time. Jesus christ, you're even making fictional loan players up now to bolster your crumbling arguments! I bet your neighbours love you? Hope you don't live in a semi, or terrace!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 02, 2011, 03:54:57 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Quote from: \"Donnybob\" post=196400
The damage that SOD has done to Doncaster Rovers is so deep, that it's going to take a while to get things right again. I believe in Saunders and the plan with Mackay, but it's not going to happen until more players come in.

Oh dear, then we are in the sh*t!

Perhaps I've got it wrong but isn't the maximum permitted number of loan players in any match day squad supposed to be five? With 4 playing last night that only leaves us scope to add one more before the transfer window opens.

We are in a crisis. Happy clap all you like, congratulate sir John on his bold move and astute decision to panic when a steady head was required. But do try and take on board that getting relegated would not have been the end of the world had we managed it in a proper and constructive manner while going all gung-ho and reckless could very well leave us in serious financial trouble.

Blaming SOD might make you feel better but the guy was a dignified, thoutful and respected manager. He had to work within the constraints put upon him. He had to scrape the barrel and find diamonds. He bought just one player for more than £300K in the entire time he was here and he was last night's hero.

Last night you had millionaire loan players on that field, one of whom has been transferred for 40 times the £300K paid out for Mills and still it made no difference. SOD was blamed for all the injuries by folk as daft as you yet last night we supposedly had a whole bunch of new injuries - were they SOD's fault?

Jeez Benaldo, get over it. SOD's gone. You don't need to dance on his grave at every oppostunity. With key players gradually returning from injury and the addition of Willie's all-stars Soundbite has practically got a brand new team to play with. He should be doing far better than 1 point from 15. Try concentrating on the present and the future rather than the past.

You are wrong on the loans, we only had two in the squad last night (Ilunga and Mason), we own Diouf, Naylor, Barnes and Chimbonda even if all four are shortly out of contract.

I agree completely with not dancing on SOD's grave, admit what he did for us was a good job and move on.  But it's also naive not to blame him for the weaknesses he has left us with and to expect Saunders to get past them quickly is impossible.  The jury is out on whether the method and Saunders will work out, but clearly SOD left us weak in some areas.

The midfield is far too lightweight and has been for two years.
The physical strength of our team isn't sufficient, thus leading to injuries.
The defence is clearly lacking in the middle and the goalkeepers are all error prone, though how much of this can you blame on the midfield.
Billy is seamingly the only attacker capable of scoring on a regular basis.
A lack of pace in the early section of the field can lead to us being easily got at on the counter.

Like it or not, SOD always had these weaknesses and we know it.  On the ball they're all technically superb but there are so many weaknesses off it.  To blame SOD completely is harsh, he knew this fact and often spoke of it.  But his undoing was that he didn't fix it, simple as that.  Mason to me typifies a SOD midfield player, class on the ball and movement is good, but his physical conditioning and positioning off the ball is pretty average.

Whether Saunders fixes this or not remains to be seen, but so far I'm happy with his signings.  How this will work long term is difficult to tell and I won't really be happpy until we get some size and prescence in the spine of the team, it just is not there and capable to compete physically at this level.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 02, 2011, 03:56:00 pm by wilts rover »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=196365
I thought, for a defender, Illunga did a good job in midfield last night. He was much better than Stock in that position, or Gillett, or Hird (obviously), or, bless him, george. I think if I'd had been George friend last night, I'd have subbed myself after 10 seconds in midfield. Watching him last night was like watching a blind giraffe being chased by a pride of very hungry, and cruel, lions.

Midfield has never been good since Wellens left. We never replaced that role with anyone other than a SOD umpa lumpa. And some of the others have their own issues too, like Oster is getting old, Stock is half the man he was, Mason has pipe cleaners for legs, Gillett wouldn't be allowed to buy fags without ID. It's all too lighweight and scared. There isn't a leader among them. Not one of them to take a game and boss things.

I think Diouf is a fantastic signing, and it showed last night that we needed more of his kind of play, direct, no nonsense, fight, guile, aggression. Two central midfielders like him and it gives room for bennett and Barnes/Oster/Coppinger to tear at a defence. It's all too lightweight in midfield and George isn't the answer, nor Hird. And asking current players to \"step up to the mark\" isn't working. If they couldn't fight last night for Billy, what the f**k is really going to motivate them??! They can't do it, that's the simple answer.

So, we could do with a midfield that has two new centre midfielders and continue to use Bennett, Oster, Coppinger, Barnes on the wings or in front of the new two.

Now to defence. Lots of people think the midfield are responsible for every time Shelton Martis trips over the ball, or falls over, or is looking the wrong way. Or that Friend is not a footballer. A rubbish midfield doesn't help the defence, but martis and friend are honestly part of the problem. Sullivan too, for the first time for me, looked his age. I hadn't seen a keeper move so slowly since the conference days...honestly! I thought to myself last night that Andy Warrington would have easily saved two of those goals, and possibly got a hand on the penalty!? The damage that SOD has done to Doncaster Rovers is so deep, that it's going to take a while to get things right again. I believe in Saunders and the plan with Mackay, but it's not going to happen until more players come in.

That is a disgraceful comment. are you refering to the damage before or after we won at Wembley? According to comments I have read - and seen on here - among other things, Wellens and Paul Green would have been happy to stay if we had matched their wages, O'driscoll wanted to sign Shackell but the board wouldn't match what Barnsley were prepared to pay, O'Driscoll wanted to sign Killkenny, but the board were not prepared to pay what he wanted, O'driscoll kept us in the division for 2 seasons by spending X amount - how much will it cost for Dean Saunders to do the same?

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 02, 2011, 05:06:34 pm by Donnybob »
Eh, Benaldo. You do spout some rubbish.

I'll grant you the short term conract players point, so okay he can bring in 3 more loans before the window opens. Oh, hang on, they'll be gone by then so we'll need 5 Galacticos, won't we.

For the record I don't live in either of the residences you suggest although I'm sure I've seen someone similar to your avatar rummaging in my distbins.

So what about my other points?

Is it the previous manager's fault the board let so many quality and talented players go? Do you think SOD was happy with that fact? Do you think he had a fraction of the money available to him that would be required to purchase top class replacements?

AS for the damage SOD has done to this club, I'm sorry but you are making yourself look a complete fool. Consider the squad he inherrited and what we've achieved in that short time, the players we've allowed to leave through lack of ambition, two years longer (and still clinging on) than I expected in the Championship despite a pitiful level of investment when compared with the Leicester's, Ipswich's, Forests, West Ham's, Southhampton's and so on.

Did Soundbite not know the situation when he jumped into the post before it was even vacated? Did he even give it a moment's thought? Did he even have a clue what managing in the Championship was like?

I'll not trouble you with more questions as you either ignored or have no succint answer to offer to the previous ones. Seems you simply want to trash the reputation of the best manager we've had since George Rayner and happy clap a numpty.

By the way, I wasn't in the country last week. Have we paid off the previous management team yet?

madmick50

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 02, 2011, 05:16:13 pm by madmick50 »
Quote from: \"Donnybob\" post=196414
Eh, Benaldo. You do spout some rubbish.

I'll grant you the short term conract players point, so okay he can bring in 3 more loans before the window opens. Oh, hang on, they'll be gone by then so we'll need 5 Galacticos, won't we.

For the record I don't live in either of the residences you suggest although I'm sure I've seen someone similar to your avatar rummaging in my distbins.

So what about my other points?

Is it the previous manager's fault the board let so many quality and talented players go? Do you think SOD was happy with that fact? Do you think he had a fraction of the money available to him that would be required to purchase top class replacements?

AS for the damage SOD has done to this club, I'm sorry but you are making yourself look a complete fool. Consider the squad he inherrited and what we've achieved in that short time, the players we've allowed to leave through lack of ambition, two years longer (and still clinging on) than I expected in the Championship despite a pitiful level of investment when compared with the Leicester's, Ipswich's, Forests, West Ham's, Southhampton's and so on.

Did Soundbite not know the situation when he jumped into the post before it was even vacated? Did he even give it a moment's thought? Did he even have a clue what managing in the Championship was like?

I'll not trouble you with more questions as you either ignored or have no succint answer to offer to the previous ones. Seems you simply want to trash the reputation of the best manager we've had since George Rayner and happy clap a numpty.

By the way, I wasn't in the country last week. Have we paid off the previous management team yet?

I agree with you completely Donnybob. Benaldo is living in a fool's paradise and totally underestimates what SOD has done for this club.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 02, 2011, 07:40:08 pm by Donnybob »
Thank you Mick. I guess it's the way folk have jumped on SOD and continue to do so long after his departure that riles me. The same folk will trample all over Saunders too when we get relegated.

I accept we're Donny Rovers and not Real Madrid. Never have been, and just because we've got a couple of short-term stand-ins using us as a shop window changes nothing. They'll be off like a shot at the first sniff of a lucrative contract.

If Saunders can't fix the problems in the current squad then what chance will he have when the likes of Sharp leave? If he needs time for a squad to gel then how will he do that with a conveyor belt full of short-term loans.

5 players on £2k a week might not sound a lot but it's still half a million a year for someone to find at a time when we're looking to reduce the wage bill.

A little over 2 months ago folk were spouting on this very board that the current squad was the best we've ever had and we might be the surprise package of the season. Definitely staying up, probably play-offs. Same folk are ripping every Player bar Billy to bits. None apparently are good enough now for the division.

How does that work then? What's the reason.

Fans are saying, 'We played well for 20 minutes, bossed the game and then backed off, let Boro back into the game and then gave up'. You might also say that Mowbray studied our tactics, made appropriate tactical changes and turned the game slowly but surely. That's what experienced Championship managers do.

Playing well for 20 minutes does not equate to having a winning team. Football's more a game of high speed chess these days. You have to be able to read your opponents and adapt your tactics accordingly. There's a bit more to management than chucking a couple of subs on with half an hour to go.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 02, 2011, 09:07:22 pm by Wellred »
Mick and Bob....... Doncaster's answer to  the Crankies.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 03, 2011, 10:17:48 am by Donnybob »
I guess when a poster resorts to peurile insults it's a fair indication he's exhausted his debating capacity.

Like Benaldo, Wellred offers no logical answers to the issues raised, instead he portrays a juvenile attitude, although why I should be surprised...

I'll take that as you both recognise the truth but prefer not to face up to it just yet.

Don't worry, your time will come.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 03, 2011, 10:40:10 am by benaldo »
I rather think my time has always come donnybob.

Look, to make it totally clear this is why I think the team is currently not winning games - (anything you have to think about it is fine by me, we disagree, so what?)~

SOD got some pretty poor players in.

There have been lots of injuries which have upset the flow of the team and consequent results have knocked confidence.

There has been a lack of investment.

Quite a few players are living on past glories and are getting past it (Oster, Stock, Hayter, Coppinger, Sullivan).

Other players have lost form since being injured and can't reclaim it (O'Connor, Coppinger).

The new manager is taking time to get to know the players and to get them to do what he wants them to do.

I don't think any of that is hard to understand or is beyond the realms of reality!?

I also think the new \"system\" with Mackay delivering quality players to the club, is a complete stroke of genius. True, it's a gamble, but I'd rather have players like Illunga, Chimbonda, and especially Diouf in the team when we need to win games than Hird, Friend, Gillett, Wilson, Stock, O'Connor, Dumbuya. It's a no-brainer!! Quality players or bargain basement? Despite his personal blights in the past, Diouf is a fantastic footballer at this level, probably the best striker playing at this level right now? To say \"we don't want him\" and playing any of our other strikers (apart from sharp) instead is madness!

This scheme is cheap, and brings in more quality players than we would have otherwise. It's simple. And quality players give a better chance of quality results, and safety! It's all so simple and I really don't see what you lot are griping about???

And whether you like it or not, SOD brought in some quality (Bennett), but he also brought in a lot of detritis too. We have too many small, weak, players that can't hold their own and can't physically compete with other players. I would argue that Diouf can, Sharp can, Chimbonda can, Illunga can, but that's about it isn't it? Let's not continue to cannonise SOD and instead concentrate on what Saunders can do with the backing of the board and Mackay. I think there are good times ahead, it's just a whisker away, I just don't get how donnybob and his hareem can't see it too??

Good luck to Saunders, Mackay, JR, and thanks for trying to save this club from relegation. I believe in what you are all doing and I think many, many others do too.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on November 03, 2011, 10:52:26 am by Mr1Croft »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=196579
I rather think my time has always come donnybob.

Look, to make it totally clear this is why I think the team is currently not winning games - (anything you have to think about it is fine by me, we disagree, so what?)~

SOD got some pretty poor players in.

There have been lots of injuries which have upset the flow of the team and consequent results have knocked confidence.

There has been a lack of investment.

Quite a few players are living on past glories and are getting past it (Oster, Stock, Hayter).

Other players have lost form since being injured and can't reclaim it (O'Connor, Coppinger).

The new manager is taking time to get to know the players and to get them to do what he wants them to do.

I don't think any of that is hard to understand or is beyond the realms of reality!?

I also think the new \"system\" with Mackay delivering quality players to the club, is a complete stroke of genius. True, it's a gamble, but I'd rather have players like Illunga, Chimbonda, and especially Diouf in the team when we need to win games than Hird, Friend, Wilson, Stock, O'Connor, Dumbuya. It's a no-brainer!! Quality players or bargain basement? Despite his personal blights in the past, Diouf is a fantastic footballer at this level, probably the best striker playing at this level right now? To say \"we don't want him\" and playing any of our other strikers (apart from sharp) instead is madness!

This scheme is cheap, and brings in more quality players than we would have otherwise. It's simple. And quality players give a better chance of quality results, and safety! It's all so simple and I really don't see what you lot are griping about???

And whether you like it or not, SOD brought in some quality (Bennett), but he also brought in a lot of detritis too. We have too many small, weak, players that can't hold their own and can't physically compete with other players. I would argue that Diouf can, Sharp can, Chimbonda can, Illunga can, but that's about it isn't it? Let's not continue to cannonise SOD and instead concentrate on what Saunders can do with the backing of the board and Mackay. I think there are good times ahead, it's just a whisker away, I just don't get how donnybob and his hareem can't see it too??

Good luck to Saunders, Mackay, JR, and thanks for trying to save this club from relegation. I believe in what you are all doing and I think many, many others do too.

Thats the thing Benaldo; what does he want them to do? When he came here he said he liked the football the previous manager got us playing, and he didn't want to change it radically just make sure we score more and concede less.

The first 20 minutes on Tuesday we stormed it and could have had 3 or 4, what went wrong? We weren't hit by horrible injuries during the match. The team didn't suddenly stop gellin and DS needs more time.

Can I point out that the previous manager also brought in new players, he too had to get them to gel together, as well as plan with many key players out injured. The time he was given before the results weren't improving and the board decided he was given enough time; 7 games.

Forget the 19 game winless run, that was only ever going to be a statistic, it ran over two seasons so was it really that bad?

So after 7 games we were bottom of the league, 8 games later, a new manager and the story is the same one. We defend DS by saying \"look how long SOD had to get the team playing as well as he did\" shouldn't we also be saying \"look how long SOD had to turn it around before being stabbed in the back\"

You can't have it both ways.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 03, 2011, 11:00:27 am by benaldo »
I know what you're saying crofty, no-one likes losing do they. But SOD hadn't won a game since March......despite being offered better players in the summer (according to JR). Something had got lost in the process for SOD, god knows what it was, but ask yourself this - If SOD were still here and the new players were not, do you think we'd even have 7 points? If the answer is no, then Saunders is the way forward. For me it's a no-brainer.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012