Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 11:22:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Nailed on stonewall penalty!  (Read 7225 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Nailed on stonewall penalty!
« Reply #30 on December 04, 2011, 01:34:42 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"One_Matty_Lucas\" post=203379
Quote from: \"glosterred\" post=203375
Sitting in the west stand opposite where the incident took place, for me Copps was offside, I still believe on this occasion the linesman got it right

:scarf:

Not offside to me!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on December 04, 2011, 01:35:53 pm by glosterred »
Sitting in the west stand opposite where the incident took place, for me Copps was offside, I still believe on this occasion the linesman got it right

From that picture and where the line is looks as though the linesman got it right - cheers

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on December 04, 2011, 01:48:30 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"glosterred\" post=203381

From that picture and where the line is looks as though the linesman got it right - cheers

That red line is decieving, the last defender behind Fortune looks closer to the 18 yard line than Copps

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on December 04, 2011, 02:07:26 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
The ball is a little way from Fortune, so I reckon if its on its way to Fortune at that point, Copps would probs be offside, if its on its way to Copps, he definitely wouldn't have been offside.

DonnyEl

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on December 04, 2011, 02:10:07 pm by DonnyEl »
Yes, because there is a big red line running across the field to help officials :headbang: also, it is only a minimum of 4 minutes, so it could have been 4 and half minutes, and as someone rightly said, he added time on for the booking

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on December 05, 2011, 12:37:09 am by bobjimwilly »
Quote from: \"DonnyEl\" post=203392
Yes, because there is a big red line running across the field to help officials :headbang: also, it is only a minimum of 4 minutes, so it could have been 4 and half minutes, and as someone rightly said, he added time on for the booking

Would he have done the same if Southampton were in front? :whistle:

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on December 05, 2011, 03:16:59 am by Viking Don »

Even the BBC timed it as over five and a half minutes. Jeez, were you the ref?

Of course there is no red line, the minimum we expect is a clear decision, not waving a flag around for a foul then raising it for offside when he remembers who he bet on.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on December 05, 2011, 08:49:24 am by Dagenham Rover »
Well I'm glad to see Rovers Player decided to show all the relevant moments from the game....like the penalty appeal..... bloody disgusting

stoxy001

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on December 05, 2011, 12:09:51 pm by stoxy001 »
penalty!  all day long!

the ref seemed to be doing his best to get southampton back in the game.

bbc has the added time as 5 mins 29 seconds, it felt like longer!!

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on December 05, 2011, 12:15:37 pm by wing commander »
Well i think in fairness it proves it wasnt a bad descision,weve got freeze frame and still argueing over was it offside or not,so in real time you can see why it was given...
  Somebody mentioned that Saints were quick to go down and the ref made it easy for them by falling for it everytime....

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on December 05, 2011, 12:25:37 pm by Drover »
Quote from: \"bobjimwilly\" post=203538

Would he have done the same if Southampton were in front? :whistle:

Exactly,as radio 5 live presenter calls it,it's \"Fergie time\".If your at the top of the league or a bigger team against bottom of the league or a smaller club,90% of the time you get more injury time when losing/drawing from the Ref.It's wrong,but the it's true.Arsenal carling cup quarter final?Now don't get me started on that one again!:cry: :)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on December 05, 2011, 12:44:38 pm by mushRTID »
I cant believe anyone has seen that photo and still thinks offside.

The Southampton player marking Fortune's back foot is closer to the goal than any part of Coppingers body.

When Copps got fouled the lino shit himself, simple as that.

thumper

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on December 05, 2011, 01:08:41 pm by thumper »
Bottom of the league winning 2-0 (if pen scored) against top wouldn't have looked right to the officials! Officials must subconsciously give decisions that go with how the game 'should' be going, so like in this case how could Donny, stranded at the bottom of the league be winning against the top placed club!

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on December 05, 2011, 01:14:16 pm by inSODwetrust »
Quote from: \"CJK\" post=203347
Another poor excuse of a referee. Absolutely terrible. Do Prado can join Grant Holt in the 'hit the deck like a sack of spuds' hall of fame; and whats worse, the referee's fall for it every time.

You should have seen John Marquis at Millwall, southern softie!

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on December 05, 2011, 03:42:44 pm by Woodhead Passer »
The reason why i think the linesman said offside is because Fortune runs towards the ball after his poor first touch :laugh: then Coppinger looks in an offside position.

But for a professional official it is pretty poor, just like Wright-Phillips for QPR on the weekend

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on December 05, 2011, 09:29:34 pm by bobjimwilly »
Just watched the extended highlights on Saints Player - 99% sure copps was onside and should have been a peno (look at the defender in the middle of the pitch):

Saints commentators said same thing, and also said linesmen waved his flag signalling the penalty, which I mentioned earlier in the thread that I saw the linesman do at the time. Either the linesman has changed his mind (?), the ref has told the linesman it was offside (?), or the ref has mistakenly interpretted the linesmens flag as offside and the linesman has then changed his mind. Either way, very poor officiating and it should have been a peno!

I know it doesn't really matter now, but it's these poor decisions that can cost us precious points - hopefully the officials will have learnt from their mistakes after the game... :facepalm:

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on December 05, 2011, 10:37:47 pm by hoolahoop »
It was a 'stonewaller' and they 'bootled it'...........bloody pathetic.
Anyway WE WON.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on December 05, 2011, 10:51:45 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Definitely on but at the speed of the game you can understand why lino raised his flag. The ref gives it at first as you can see JOC punch the air with delight then hold his head in disbelief when he changes his mind.

Good extended highlights them and using different camera angles. Assume then that Southampton must have brought their own cameras.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on December 06, 2011, 04:07:48 am by VivaRovers »
For what its worth, at no point did the linesman wave his flag for a foul. Had he been signalling for a foul, as its in the area, he would have put his flag across his chest to signal to the referee that it was a penalty.

The ref looked set to point to the spot upon blowing his whistle, so presumably the linesman waved his flag briefly to get the referee's attention so that he didn't, before holding it straight in the air to signal offside. The offside came before the foul, so its that offence which is punished. I was almost in line with the decision, and at the time (without the benefit of a crudely drawn red line or Saints Player) I thought Copps was off, so have no complaints.

Had it occured at the other end I'm sure we would all be praising the officials for an excellent decision, professionally reached

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on December 06, 2011, 08:06:29 am by mushRTID »
Quote from: \"VivaRovers\" post=203726
For what its worth, at no point did the linesman wave his flag for a foul. Had he been signalling for a foul, as its in the area, he would have put his flag across his chest to signal to the referee that it was a penalty.

The ref looked set to point to the spot upon blowing his whistle, so presumably the linesman waved his flag briefly to get the referee's attention so that he didn't, before holding it straight in the air to signal offside. The offside came before the foul, so its that offence which is punished. I was almost in line with the decision, and at the time (without the benefit of a crudely drawn red line or Saints Player) I thought Copps was off, so have no complaints.

Had it occured at the other end I'm sure we would all be praising the officials for an excellent decision, professionally reached

Even though the photo shows they got it wrong?

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on December 06, 2011, 08:25:00 am by DaveDRFC »
Quote from: \"mushRTID\" post=203730

Even though the photo shows they got it wrong?

Not sure if you've noticed, but the linesman doesn't carry a digital camera round with him to take a quick snap and then spend hours deliberating over it with the referee. At the time I thought he got it right and although you could see the ref about to give the penalty, the linesman had called it as offside so obviously that's what was given. And like Viva, at the time I had no complaints.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on December 06, 2011, 10:59:00 am by jonnydog »
I know it's pointless bringing up the topic of video decisions. But this is clear evidence that it wouldn't slow down the game. The unsureness of the decision must have held the game up by a good 40-60seconds, the 4th official could easily be relayed the footage down to him and give a decision within 30 seconds.

As I say, it's pointless raising the topic as we all know its a win-win and Mr Splatter won't allow it. But if Southampton had equalised just after, they could have gathered the momentum to go on and win it (especially with around 6 minutes of injury time!!). Teams success/failures can hang on one match, 2 points mean alot in a relegation scrap and I'm only too glad we hung on for the win.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on December 06, 2011, 12:49:55 pm by benaldo »
That photo just shows Coppinger marginally in line/ish depending on where you're looking from. If the lino had a better view I can see why he flagged for offside. If it hadn't been offside then I think it was a lucky decision. DO you think it might just be a case of fans wanting a penalty rather than it being a simple case of offside? This wouldn't even have been a thread if coppinger hadn't been fouled but had still be flagged offside.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on December 06, 2011, 02:14:54 pm by bobjimwilly »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=203773
That photo just shows Coppinger marginally in line/ish depending on where you're looking from. If the lino had a better view I can see why he flagged for offside. If it hadn't been offside then I think it was a lucky decision. DO you think it might just be a case of fans wanting a penalty rather than it being a simple case of offside? This wouldn't even have been a thread if coppinger hadn't been fouled but had still be flagged offside.

You're right benaldo in that it wouldn't have been brought up copps wasn't fouled, but he was, and that is why it was a crucial decision.

viva - when linesmen give an offside they shouldn't wave their flag, just stop where they are, put their flag in the air and lower it inline with the offside. You're right in that he should of put it across his chest to signal a foul/penalty, but he did neither of the above.

I understand the tempo of the modern game makes the job harder for officials, but along with the other dubious decisions, especially the time added on to time added on, I honestly think there was no way in hell we would have gotten a break from that ref on any decision that was dubious!

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on December 06, 2011, 02:15:50 pm by bobjimwilly »
Quote from: \"VivaRovers\" post=203726

I doubt it somehow ;)

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on December 06, 2011, 03:27:13 pm by VivaRovers »
Quote from: \"bobjimwilly\" post=203785
viva - when linesmen give an offside they shouldn't wave their flag, just stop where they are, put their flag in the air and lower it inline with the offside. You're right in that he should of put it across his chest to signal a foul/penalty, but he did neither of the above.

Aye I know, I'm a qualified referee myself. I was just making it clear that the linesman hadn't flagged for a foul. From memory, he waved it briefly and then held it still as to flag for offside. Can only assume the brief wave of it was to get the referee's attention, before the ref gave a penalty.

Either way, I think the fact that even with people drawing red lines on pictures and presenting freeze frames of videos this board is still split on the decision shows how difficult it is for officials.

At the time the only doubt for me was whether Fortune had flicked the ball on (which it transpires he did). Coppinger looked beyond the last man and was fouled, in that order, so I think the officials got it right. I won't judge them based on technology they don't have at their disposal.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on December 06, 2011, 04:20:57 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
One further point though, as it was before the whistle had been blown and was a poor foul and yellow card, why wasn't the offender booked?  Even though offside had been given it was still a cynical foul?

silvesterp

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on December 06, 2011, 07:37:12 pm by silvesterp »
the ref was very poor, we have the same problem as wigan have in premier league, bigger clubs getting the run of decisions, it isnt always the massive decisions (although the pen on sat could haved preoved so) but the general sway of them going to the so called bigger clubs. im sure refs dont set out to do it but just seems to happen for some reason. im glad we won on sat so that criticism of the ref, who was very poor, doesnt just look like sour grapes.  maybe its the media attention that bigger clubs and their managers get that sub-consciously influences refereeing decisions. i dont know, but it definately happens week in week out.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012