Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 12:42:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Billy happy to stay  (Read 6487 times)

donnyguy61

Billy happy to stay
« on December 05, 2011, 10:14:00 am by donnyguy61 »
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12040_7353943,0.html

Sharp happy to stay
Striker thanks club for support they have shown him
Last Updated: December 5, 2011 9:59am

Billy Sharp: Thankful for all the support he has received from Doncaster
. ....Doncaster Rovers striker Billy Sharp admits he is happy to stay at the club for the time being.

Sharp's future is set to be the subject of speculation again when the transfer window reopens in January with a number of clubs waiting in the wings to sign the player.

The 25-year-old, who scored Doncaster's winner in the victory over Southampton at the weekend, came close to joining the Saints in the summer only for the move to fall through and the Championship leaders are expected to revive their interest in Sharp in the New Year.

Sharp admits he is happy at Doncaster and has thanked the club for all the support they have shown him since the tragic death of his son Luey after just two days last month from a rare bowel condition.

\"I am staying to help Doncaster - at least for the time being,\" said Sharp.

Support
\"From chairman John Ryan down, everybody has been absolutely fantastic towards my partner Jade and myself.

\"People could not possibly have been kinder or more supportive.

\"It has been a terrible period for us. The pain never goes away, it just eases a fraction on occasion, like when I am playing and getting a goal.

\"Still, everything I do is for Luey. He is in my thoughts virtually every minute.\"

Sharp admits it is not certain he will leave Doncaster when the transfer window reopens in January despite the club bracing themselves for several bids for their prize asset.

\"I spoke to Southampton in the summer, but it wasn't to be at the time,\" added Sharp.

\"People are always asking me when I am going to leave, but I didn't leave in the last window or the one before that.

\"I will go one day, that's football, but I'm enjoying my time here.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Billy happy to stay
« Reply #1 on December 05, 2011, 10:15:24 am by Chris Black come back »
Honest. Personally would like to see him stay until summer then move on to Premier League.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 05, 2011, 10:26:29 am by coventryrover »
That's why the fans love him.  He is honest about his ambitions, which will be at a club higher up the pyramid than rovers.  Am just enjoying his time here.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 05, 2011, 10:28:22 am by Donnybax »
I hope he stays until at least the end of the season but i dont like how he says at least for the time being :chair:

VikingJames

« Reply #4 on December 05, 2011, 10:54:10 am by VikingJames »
\"For the time being.\"

Brutally honest, but probably not the best choice of words in terms of reassuring the fans. Gives a little hint that his mind is on a move away from here.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 05, 2011, 11:14:44 am by Jenny »
Even if his mind is on a move away in the longterm, he is still performing for the club and scoring goals - I personally don't see what the problem is

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 05, 2011, 11:59:32 am by coventryrover »
I agree Jenny.  I want agll turf players who play for us to have that hunger to reach the top.  It's unfortunate that the \"top\" may not be with us.

Bills attitude is spot on, just hope he holds out for a move to the prem

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 05, 2011, 12:41:45 pm by mushRTID »
Ha ha, did anyonse see Billy on the bbc highlights?

Looked as though at the start, he was just getting off the Southampton team bus.....let the rumours commence..

madmick50

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 05, 2011, 01:04:11 pm by madmick50 »
He's a top bloke. If he goes in January I reckon it will have more to do with the club wanting to get some money in than Billy wanting to leave.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 05, 2011, 01:29:32 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"coventryrover\" post=203573
I agree Jenny.  I want agll turf players who play for us to have that hunger to reach the top.  It's unfortunate that the \"top\" may not be with us.

Bills attitude is spot on, just hope he holds out for a move to the prem

Is that a sprinkling of Welsh there cov? :laugh:

cas rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 05, 2011, 02:15:22 pm by cas rover »
Top man and as with anyone else enjoying Donnys shop window
anyone worth their salt can make it to the prem
and good luck to all
for to get noticed they have to play out of their skin for us
win win all round
and eventually up for us

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 05, 2011, 03:50:34 pm by 1879Rovers »
The one thing you can say about Billy is he isn't motivated by money. He turned down better offers to join Rovers last season and he could have left in the summer. He is a rare breed in a football world that is dominated by no loyalty and greed.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 05, 2011, 06:09:59 pm by donnievic »
Think he maybe waiting for Sheff Utd to come back in for him

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 05, 2011, 07:13:23 pm by Sprotyrover »
Don't think he would even contemplate it, the pressure from the fans isnt worth the move

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 05, 2011, 07:31:35 pm by Capmeister »
At what point does he say he's not going in Jan? Don't think you've read his comments the right way. If he stays I'll be chuffed but we've been here before. It's a risk, take the ackers now. Secure the cash. Or wait and get sweet FA. Billy's lost his little lad. Cant imagine how that feels. A change of scenery might help.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 05, 2011, 07:31:38 pm by benaldo »
It's a tough one. On the one hand, he's a good goalscorer and Rovers went 5 years without one before he came on loan, but on the other hand if he can be sold for a profit (not sure where that money will be going though eh?) and replaced with someone of Dioufs calibre and on a fifth of Sharps reputed wages then it's a no-brainer.

PS I think we should all look out for the eventual disappearance of the transfer fee. Now you see it, now you don't. If rumour is to be believed, not that I may believe it you understand, our philanthropic directors don't \"Gift\" money to the club, they loan it at a good rate of interest. I just think that the Sharp fee will go towards paying back those loans rather than buying a replacement. Watch this space.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 05, 2011, 07:53:20 pm by wilts rover »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=203671
It's a tough one. On the one hand, he's a good goalscorer and Rovers went 5 years without one before he came on loan, but on the other hand if he can be sold for a profit (not sure where that money will be going though eh?) and replaced with someone of Dioufs calibre and on a fifth of Sharps reputed wages then it's a no-brainer.

PS I think we should all look out for the eventual disappearance of the transfer fee. Now you see it, now you don't. If rumour is to be believed, not that I may believe it you understand, our philanthropic directors don't \"Gift\" money to the club, they loan it at a good rate of interest. I just think that the Sharp fee will go towards paying back those loans rather than buying a replacement. Watch this space.

Here we go again creating a sense of mischief and rumour for the sake of it. Is that your usual accurate information produced through hours of intesive research or just a guess? My understanding is that Rovers directors do not loan anything to the club so therefore the club doesn't owe or pay them back anything- unlike say, Forest or Bristol City, where the owner does give loans, and the club pays them interest on that, even more gaulling for Forest fans as Doherty also gets a wage from them as well (or he used to). So theoretically once they decide to sell they will get back the original loan sums (£60 million), plus interest, plus wages.

At Rovers the directors put in extra funding in through purchase of shares. That is not a loan it is a purchase. They will only get any money back if someone like yourself decides to fork out the same amount of money they have put in, to buy the club at some point in the future. As we dont actually own anything of value, how likely is that Mr Richardson?

I dont know the exact circumstances surrounding Billy's signing or where any money from his sale will go to, but you can be sure that if John Ryan wants to find the money for a replacement he will - maybe he will run it by benaldo first?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 06, 2011, 08:31:04 am by The Red Baron »

Let me get this straight. You're saying that having gone to extraordinary lengths to keep the club in the Championship that the Board would sell Sharp in January, pocket the cash and leave us without a proven goalscorer? Had they been of a mind to do that they might as well have not bothered with the Willie McKay business.

If we get a big offer for Sharp and he's willing to move then he will go, but if we're to have any chance of staying in this division the money received will need to be reinvested in a replacement.

mutleyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 06, 2011, 08:46:57 am by mutleyrover »
As the club has stated, they are looking to cut the wage bill drastically.  Billy I presume is the highest earner so I think the main reason for his exit will be to clear him from the wage bill rather than the fee received.

The lads attitute is first class and he has always given his all for the club.  Its just a shame that his ambitions lay elsewhere and nobody should fault him for that.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on December 06, 2011, 09:00:48 am by silent majority »

Benaldo being selective with the truth yet again! Surprise, surprise!

Most of the shortfall ( the vast majority) of the trading of Doncaster Rovers is made up by increasing the shares and allocation, we all know that. In other words its gifted. However there are some loans on the books which are attracting an interest rate of about 4%, which you class as a good rate?? Beggars belief! Its much less than the Italian, Greek and Spanish governments can borrow money at.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on December 06, 2011, 10:14:22 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I think with Billy he's been honest and I don't think people would really dislike him if he left.  He's even said he'd celebrate against us as he just loves scoring, can't fault that honesty.  It's what we love about him and why should we expect different from him when he leaves.

I wouldn't hold it against him if he goes to another club that's fighting for promotion or in the top flight at all, just as I didn't when Wellens left either.  He went about it the right way and I think Sharp's been professional too.  He clearly does like being at this club so I can't see him being too upset at staying here, but equally he's ambitious.  I think I'd be more disappointed if our players didn't want to improve and play at the highest level and if we get a decent fee for him we're all winners.

What I'd like to see though is an extension for Billy.  Not to force him to stay but with clauses in that give us more scope in transfer negotiations.  Potentially come next summer clubs will offer a smaller fee and that's something we should be aware of.  Though equally if we can't replace Sharp's goals then surely he's worth keeping as his goals could be the difference between staying up or not?

I think there's a chance he'll go in January and if it was Southampton I wouldn't be disappointed.  I don't think he'd go to an Ipswich though, they just don't IMO have anything more about them than us.  Our project is ambitious and could really kick on and given how we beat them quite convincingly at Portman Road I just couldn't see him going there.  I'm still surprised someone at the bottom half of the Premier league hasn't come in.  He'd be perfect for a team like Swansea, Wigan etc, teams that play decent stuff but lack a goalscorer, Wigan especially.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 06, 2011, 12:28:55 pm by benaldo »
Quote from: \"silent_majority\" post=203736

Most of the shortfall ( the vast majority) of the trading of Doncaster Rovers is made up by increasing the shares and allocation, we all know that. In other words its gifted. However there are some loans on the books which are attracting an interest rate of about 4%, which you class as a good rate?? Beggars belief! Its much less than the Italian, Greek and Spanish governments can borrow money at.

I'm very sorry if 4% isn't a \"good rate\" in silent majority land. For me, 4% IS a good rate if you're not a foreign government and if you live in the UK....

Some people...... :headbang:

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on December 06, 2011, 01:22:03 pm by silent majority »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=203767
Quote from: \"silent_majority\" post=203736

I'm very sorry if 4% isn't a \"good rate\" in silent majority land. For me, 4% IS a good rate if you're not a foreign government and if you live in the UK....

Some people...... :headbang:

Some people??

I'm not the one stretching the truth to make my little story sound better. But lets be honest, 4% isn't a good rate if you're investing in a business that may, but more than likely wont, make any return at all. If your sticking it the bank or building society on a no risk plan you may get as much as 2.5%. If you had stuck your money in solar panels you would have got back 10%. Jeez, some people!!!

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 06, 2011, 01:40:10 pm by benaldo »
Thing is....it's clearly giving a return on an investement somewhere or \"loans\" repayment to the tune of a considerable ammount of money wouldn't feature on the drfc books would it?

However you want to put it, the club are repaying someone somewhere for investing in it. Some people......... :aok:

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on December 06, 2011, 01:48:05 pm by silent majority »
I would aqree with some of that, but your original post was a complete distortion of the actual situation. And its that that I find dishonest. The actual amounts are peanuts.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on December 06, 2011, 02:15:16 pm by benaldo »
I can't win.........

1 Rovers are repaying someone/some people/something for a \"loan\".
2 It's listed in their accounts.
3 It's for a lot of money.
4 It's not \"Gifted\" a \"Share purchase\" or even from santa.
5 When someone gets shares from a company for putting money into it those shares are worth money. The money going into the club can't be for no return? If you want proof, try getting 100 shares from an existing shareholder for nothing. The shares are worth money, or are you suggesting that the vsc shares aren't worth anything?

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on December 06, 2011, 02:45:50 pm by Jenny »
I wouldn't say that the loans or the interest are peanuts SM. The lastest account for the club show the following loans to directors:

£1,050,000 to John Ryan of which £200,000 is repayable in installments and interest charged on £850,000 of it

£1,050,000 to Terry Bramall and all of it attracts interest

£1,450,000 to Dick Watson of which £200,000 is repayable in installments and interest charged on £1,250,000 of it

There are amounts of £35,000 due to 3 other directors (in total) which attract interest.

In the period to May 2010 466,578 ordinary shares were issued at £1 each and the rest of the money that the directors put in was by loans amounting to £1,466,000. The operating loss for the period was just under £1m.

This is all publically available information... we are often told that the directors are gifting money to the club but in the period 31 May 2010 most of the funds were put in via loans. Oh and the loans are repayable on demand, lets hope that that doesn't happen anytime soon.

Interest charge for the period as £143,570 - that would pay a loan stars wages for a year, so again, not peanuts!

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 06, 2011, 02:53:45 pm by benaldo »
There's no telling him Jenny. Some people like to believe that the board waft in to work throwing bundles of money on the rovers fire without a second thought. For all the PR bluster, the board and chairman perhaps maybe not as philanthropic as we are led to believe? Nothing wrong with that of course, it's a dog eat dog world, but it doesn't sit well with all the supporters who believe that Rovers is based down a pit, the players are all from Town Moor, and every single player would die for the club. In short, the badly informed.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on December 06, 2011, 05:20:35 pm by silent majority »
In the football world, believe me, that's peanuts.

Interest of £143K is less than a weeks turnover.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 06, 2011, 06:11:16 pm by NickDRFC »
Interest accrued during the year isn't necessarily paid. I would be very surprised of any directors take money out of the club. The interest just has to be accounted for.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012