Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 02:32:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: DMBC 4% pay cut!  (Read 4099 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
DMBC 4% pay cut!
« on January 11, 2012, 12:59:38 am by Filo »
Personally I think it`s a disgrace!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
Re: DMBC 4% pay cut!
« Reply #1 on January 11, 2012, 01:15:57 am by Mr1Croft »
We were once in a recession.

The most popular party at the 2010 General Election was the party that said we needed to cut fast and immediatley.

All public servants take pay freezes and cuts in some cases.

Ministers take a 5% pay cut and pay freeze.

DMBC also get a pay cut.

Shocker...

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 11, 2012, 01:17:03 am by RobTheRover »
I see the Mayor has covered himself in glory (again)

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 11, 2012, 01:23:05 am by Mr1Croft »
I find this comical:
Anger as council staff face pay cut

The pick of the comments:

“I took phone calls from members crying wondering how on earth they could cope taking such a pay cut.

“Some could stand to lose up to £1,000. They can’t afford that. We are in a very difficult situation we understand that, but our members have a right to feel incredibly angry.\"

Excuse me? If you are losing £1,000 a year on a 4% pay cut then I make that your earning £25,000. Oh the shame you can't cope losing £19.23 a week (and that is on a relativley high wage).

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 11, 2012, 09:20:29 am by Filo »
I don`t know the exact figures, I don`t even know if they got a pay rise last year but lets assume the did n`t and then assume inflation was 3%, that makes it that 2x3% = 6% + 4% paycut = 10% effective pay cut over 2 years! they are saying that those earning up to £15k won`t be affected, I believe, so take some one on £16K - 10% = £14400, that`s what his £16K will be worth now compared to 2 years ago!

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 11, 2012, 10:21:04 am by Thinwhiteduke »
Quote from: \"Mr1Croft\" post=211321
I find this comical:

“I took phone calls from members crying wondering how on earth they could cope taking such a pay cut.

“Some could stand to lose up to £1,000. They can’t afford that. We are in a very difficult situation we understand that, but our members have a right to feel incredibly angry.\"

Excuse me? If you are losing £1,000 a year on a 4% pay cut then I make that your earning £25,000. Oh the shame you can't cope losing £19.23 a week (and that is on a relativley high wage).

Disgusting comment. Nobody, regardless of salary, should take a pay cut when there is so much waste at that Authority. How about renegotiating the extortinte mobile phone contract in place?  Or cuttin back on wining and dining at The Mansion House?

Have you considered that that £25000 may be the sole income? That these individuals are locked into fixed mortgages..Nah! I guess £80+ a month less for hard working families is fair isnt it?

I wonder what your take is on Benefit Scroungers receiving a 5% pay rise, whilst tose who offer a service and pay their way have to take a 4% to help finance the Scroungers lifestyle?

My partner is unlucky. She earns 15,028....so she takes a hit...depending hos it pans out we may not be able to make mortgage payments....if thats the case I'll consider quitting my job, default on the mortgage, get the Council to house us - after all we have two kids, and join the gravy train....seems a better deal than actually working.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 11, 2012, 10:42:54 am by Filo »
Quote from: \"Thinwhiteduke\" post=211383
I find this comical:

Disgusting comment. Nobody, regardless of salary, should take a pay cut when there is so much waste at that Authority. How about renegotiating the extortinte mobile phone contract in place?  Or cuttin back on wining and dining at The Mansion House?

Have you considered that that £25000 may be the sole income? That these individuals are locked into fixed mortgages..Nah! I guess £80+ a month less for hard working families is fair isnt it?

I wonder what your take is on Benefit Scroungers receiving a 5% pay rise, whilst tose who offer a service and pay their way have to take a 4% to help finance the Scroungers lifestyle?

My partner is unlucky. She earns 15,028....so she takes a hit...depending hos it pans out we may not be able to make mortgage payments....if thats the case I'll consider quitting my job, default on the mortgage, get the Council to house us - after all we have two kids, and join the gravy train....seems a better deal than actually working.

You`re reaping the benefits of who you voted for, yes Doncaster is a Labour controlled authority, but Budgets are cut by central government through their drastic austerity measures, I agree there could be other areas to save money, but the prime cause of this is that smug t**t Osbourne!

donnyproletarian

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 11, 2012, 04:12:22 pm by donnyproletarian »
I dont understand what all the fuss is about .When i was a lad 5 of us shared a bed and had to sleep in the cellar.We were so hungry our mam would make us vomitt and make a stew with undigested foods for the next day.We  all got an orange for christmas but we were happy

I remember a scene like this on monty pythons when i was a kid and remember thinking that we were loads better of than our parents .I shared the same hopes for my kids but looks like like we are going full circle.For the firs time since the war , that one against adolf,the next generation will be significantly worse off than we are.Its not a temporary thing .The post war boom lasted 50 years .Whose to say a recession cant last the same . We are faced with a choice.Accept whats happening and roll over or get off your knees and fight back .Our forebears did this for us and payed with blood, sweat and tears.The cuts wont stop here they will carry on .More anti trade union laws are being propsed which will make it impossible for people to legitimately fight back.What next convict ships to Australia for poaching.Fight back now people before its too late and then at least when you are on your deathbeds years from now you can say they could  take my lifes but not my FREEDOM .Okay its a fair cop plagarised from braveheart but you get the jist .And no i dont wear a tartan dress.Got to draw the line somewere.By the way JR would be excempt from any firing squad come the revolution now passs me my prozac
Quote from: \"Mr1Croft\" post=211317
We were once in a recession.

The most popular party at the 2010 General Election was the party that said we needed to cut fast and immediatley.

All public servants take pay freezes and cuts in some cases.

Ministers take a 5% pay cut and pay freeze.

DMBC also get a pay cut.

Shocker...

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 11, 2012, 06:25:32 pm by grayx »
It is a disgrace & no Union should encourage their members to accept it. It applies to those on salaries over £15k which is well below the countries average.
Hit the \"fat cats\" who are taking all the serious money,but this lot won't do that will they?

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 11, 2012, 06:40:56 pm by Mr1Croft »
After nearly two years of cuts and freezes among the public sector it is hardly a shock that the DMBC have announced this.

What should they do? Carry on as normal with an authority that loses substantial amounts year on year?

Im not saying I agree with it but given the economic situation sacrifices have to be made. This week the government have announced its plans through Business secretary Vince Cable (who is in my opinion the greatest economist of the 21st century, god knows how he isn't Chancellor) to make payments for not only local governments but large corporations in the city of London to make pay more transparent so everyone can see exactly what they are paying executives which will include cuts.

But yet as much as I support this government I fail to see the need for the planned HS2 to go ahead. That isn't fair...

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 11, 2012, 07:02:24 pm by grayx »
Quote from: \"Mr1Croft\" post=211532
After nearly two years of cuts and freezes among the public sector it is hardly a shock that the DMBC have announced this.

What should they do? Carry on as normal with an authority that loses substantial amounts year on year?

Im not saying I agree with it but given the economic situation sacrifices have to be made. This week the government have announced its plans through Business secretary Vince Cable (who is in my opinion the greatest economist of the 21st century, god knows how he isn't Chancellor) to make payments for not only local governments but large corporations in the city of London to make pay more transparent so everyone can see exactly what they are paying executives which will include cuts.

But yet as much as I support this government I fail to see the need for the planned HS2 to go ahead. That isn't fair...

At worst, freeze pay, but under no circumstances should employees be expected to accept pay cuts, unless they are receiving an obscene salary.  As a supporter of this government I don't expect you to agree.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 11, 2012, 07:48:26 pm by Filo »
I started this thread to see if any Tory voters would be objecting to it, I thought it might effect some of them directly TWD did n`t let me down! :thumbsup:

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 11, 2012, 08:18:11 pm by wilts rover »
Not in Doncaster so I only know what I have heard on the national news, but the story I heard was - it was either make 200 people redundant or have a 4% pay cut for all staff so that these 200 could keep there jobs. Is this right - and if so what would you do?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 11, 2012, 09:55:30 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"Mr1Croft\" post=211532

Maybe the council should have thought about this before rubber stamping a £300 million white elephant project on the site of the old college. But the council needs some new shiny offices.

NorthNorfolkRover

« Reply #14 on January 11, 2012, 11:13:16 pm by NorthNorfolkRover »
There are a lot of council workers follow the rovers. We could lose a few sts from this.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 12, 2012, 01:03:42 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Quote from: \"wilts rover\" post=211551
Not in Doncaster so I only know what I have heard on the national news, but the story I heard was - it was either make 200 people redundant or have a 4% pay cut for all staff so that these 200 could keep there jobs. Is this right - and if so what would you do?

Its smoke and mirrors.

What I'd do alternatively?

Cut the waste - ban jollies/ days out at Racecourses, stop wining and dining at Council buildings like The Mansion House, gets kids to design branding signs instead of payinf 100's of 1000's of pounds to consultants to ddo a poor job, renegotiate the extortianate mobile phone contract that is in place and give staff nothing better than a standard handset (none of this Blackberry / Iphone espense).

Thats probably only scratching the surface, I dare waythere are others people can think of.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 12, 2012, 05:11:33 pm by RobTheRover »
Quote from: \"Thinwhiteduke\" post=211689
Quote from: \"wilts rover\" post=211551

Its smoke and mirrors.

What I'd do alternatively?

Cut the waste - ban jollies/ days out at Racecourses, stop wining and dining at Council buildings like The Mansion House, gets kids to design branding signs instead of payinf 100's of 1000's of pounds to consultants to ddo a poor job, renegotiate the extortianate mobile phone contract that is in place and give staff nothing better than a standard handset (none of this Blackberry / Iphone espense).

Thats probably only scratching the surface, I dare waythere are others people can think of.

I know how much \"Discover The Spirit\" cost, and I know what the Councillors reaction was too.  :blink:

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 12, 2012, 10:48:47 pm by mjdgreg »
You`re reaping the benefits of who you voted for, yes Doncaster is a Labour controlled authority, but Budgets are cut by central government through their drastic austerity measures, I agree there could be other areas to save money, but the prime cause of this is that smug t**t Osbourne!

We are reaping the rewards of 13 years of economic mismanagement by Labour. The budget deficit is huge and the national debt will have doubled by the end of this parliament. The currents cuts are only slowing down the rate of growth of our unbelievably huge national debt. Things are so bad that even these minor cuts are perceived as draconian and are having a huge impact on peoples standards of living. Get ready for a lot worse when the people we owe money to realise that we haven't got a hope in hell of paying them back. The garden is extremely rosy at the moment compared to how it's going to get. It makes my piss boil when people blame the current government when it is so obvious to anyone with a basic grasp of economics that Gordon Brown was the smug t**t who is to blame.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 12, 2012, 11:52:43 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Quote from: \"mjdgreg\" post=211823
Gordon Brown was the smug t**t who is to blame.

Im still trying to work out how he managed to hoodwink everyone into thinking he was some sort of economic genius, and convince us all that everything in the garden was rosy for so long.

Should have known something was amiss when he sold of the majority of our Gold stocks just before the value of Gold started to shoot up.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 13, 2012, 01:14:05 am by RobTheRover »
Yep, nothing at all to do with the sub-prime lenders in the states and greedy bank bosses chasing a dream.  Nothing to see here, move along.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 13, 2012, 10:13:33 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Quote from: \"Thinwhiteduke\" post=211845
Quote from: \"mjdgreg\" post=211823
Gordon Brown was the smug t**t who is to blame.

Im still trying to work out how he managed to hoodwink everyone into thinking he was some sort of economic genius, and convince us all that everything in the garden was rosy for so long.

Should have known something was amiss when he sold of the majority of our Gold stocks just before the value of Gold started to shoot up.

TWD.

I've pointed out before that in his time as Chancellor, we had a period of stable economic growth that no-one alive int his country has ever seen. Between 1997 and 2007, EVERY single other major industrialised nation had at least 1 recession - most had more. We didn't.

There was the Russian default, the SE Asian crisis, the dot-com bubble bursting, 9/11, the Argentinian default - every one of these economic disasters led to recessions in major countries. We didn't have a recession.

You reckon that was just down to good luck, or to coincidence. You reckon the fact that between 1997 and 2007 we outperformed Germany in economic performance for the very first time in my lifetime was just a bit of luck?

We have had a horrific time since the financial crisis of 2008. As has every single other major industrialised nation. Gordon Brown didn't produce the global crisis in 2008. In fact it would have been much, much worse if he'd not taken the lead in showing the world how to prevent a disaster become an unmitigated catastrophe.

Yes Brown and all the other finance ministers around the world can be rightly criticised for not having brought the banks to heel. No question. You might want to ask yourself, mind, what the party that YOU support would have done in the 00s. They regularly criticsed Brown for not de-regulating the banks enough...

EDIT:

Of course it suits the right wing agenda in this country to claim that everything was down to Gordon Brown and to ignore the world situation. A shame that facts don't bear it out. The Right claim that Brown was a manic, wild spender. That ignores the fact that in 2007, our Debt-to-GDP ratio was lower than when Labour came to power. See here:

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/government-debt-to-gdp

Our debt went mad after the crash in 08. Of course it did. That's what happens after a recession. You think we were alone in that? Go have a look at the figures for the USA.
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/government-debt-to-gdp

Or Germany
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/germany/government-debt-to-gdp
Or France
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/france/government-debt-to-gdp
Or Canada
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/canada/government-debt-to-gdp

And although we're a bunch of Little Englanders in this country, it's worth remembering that the whole world has struggled since 2008. Even after all the problems that we have had, our Debt to GDP ratio is STILL lower than that of Germany, France, USA and Italy, never mind Japan. See the table here:
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/

Our MASSIVE problem at the moment is the lack of growth. There is only one way that you can get out of the debt crisis that you end up in after a credit crunch-induced recession. You HAVE to grow your economy. You cannot get out of debt by cutting back. That road leads to a catastrophic spiral of decreased economic performance - see Japan's performance for the last 20 years. Our problem at the moment is that, despite having inherited a reasonably robust growth as we came out of recession (growth of 1.3% in 2010), this Govt has choked that off. We basically flat-lined in 2011, while the rest of the world was starting to pick up and we currently have the ninth lowest growth rate in the entire world (only Greece, Ireland, Italy, Slovenia, Portugal, Denmark, Japan and Egypt are in a worse situation).

France, Germany, USA, Belgium, Singapore and Canada ALL have higher debt than us AND a higher growth rate. Go figure...

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 14, 2012, 11:46:24 am by CusworthRovers »
Quote from: \"grayx\" post=211527
It is a disgrace & no Union should encourage their members to accept it. It applies to those on salaries over £15k which is well below the countries average.
Hit the \"fat cats\" who are taking all the serious money,but this lot won't do that will they?

Bang on mate. Unfortunately this is also happening within the Council in bloody Doncaster!!!!. Nobody had pointed out yet that this pay cut is not for all staff, but has 2 exemptions:

1. People who work in schools (up for debate that one, as personally I see no difference in those workers as to those who clean the drains, sweep the roads, maintain our street lighting and ensure our rubbish is able to be taken away and dumped etc etc)....like I said, up for debate rather than against it

2. Here's the biggy and linked to the so called fat cats creaming this nation off. The pay cut does not effect the Chief Officers within DMBC ie the biggest earners??? This is the bit that stinks to high heaven for me. What's good for one is good for all in my book, unless somebody wants to tell me different. Perhaps if they cut the big earners pay by 4% in DMBC it might mean point something of a percent less of a cut for all the others or even save a few jobs being axed. I'm no economist, but that doesn't take too much working out

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 14, 2012, 12:56:23 pm by knockers »
I know how much \"Discover The Spirit\" cost, and I know what the Councillors reaction was too.  :blink:[/quote]

Plymouth has \"Spirit of Discovery\" as their logo. Which came first Rob?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 17, 2012, 08:04:02 pm by Jonathan »

Staggeringly ignorant comment!

£25k a year may be alright with no responsibilities, but for people that have to support a family to stand a cut of that scale? Think again.

Engage your brain before making comments like that and try to think of a situation beyond your own!

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 18, 2012, 05:26:53 pm by grayx »
And at a time when we're all being told to tighten our purse strings,take pay cuts, work longer & pay more towards our pensions it is now suggested we spend £80m on a new yacht for the queen. GENIUS. Would some tory boy care to defend that?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012