Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 10:06:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Safe Standing  (Read 5178 times)

Superspy

• VSC Member
Re: Safe Standing
« Reply #30 on January 20, 2012, 04:55:21 pm by Superspy »
Not a clue, found the image on a google search but couldn't find a decent one of the SS. It's probably a youth cup game or something.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on January 20, 2012, 04:56:51 pm by Superspy »
Strike that, I've found the image again. It was against Yeovil in 2007, 5967 in attendance.

Here's the site.

http://tims92.blogspot.com/2011/02/doncaster-rovers-keepmoat-stadium.html

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on January 20, 2012, 05:31:17 pm by Rovers Return »
Quote from: \"Superspy\" post=213793
Back to the original point of where do we think would be a good place in our ground...

I think it would be ideal as I have highlight, but in the South Stand of course.
[attachment=961]KeepmoatStadium.jpg[/attachment]

Thats the North isn't it??  :coat:

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on January 20, 2012, 05:32:15 pm by Rovers Return »
Quote from: \"Superspy\" post=213798
Strike that, I've found the image again. It was against Yeovil in 2007, 5967 in attendance.

Here's the site.

http://tims92.blogspot.com/2011/02/doncaster-rovers-keepmoat-stadium.html

Thats the North isn't it???:coat:

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 20, 2012, 05:35:54 pm by Superspy »
Did you actually read my first post (the one with the image in it)?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 20, 2012, 06:42:17 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Superspy.

I know where you are coming from however, the area you highlight there has a problem.

Imagine you were stood on the extreme left or right of that area, the people seated
next to you would not be able to see properly.

The only way it could work properly, is if that area is extended in the the apex of the corners, then you wouldn't be blocking the view. Trouble is then, you are encroaching in to the family stand and that brings some further logistical issues.

It certainly needs some thought but can be done if there is a will to do so.

In addition to that, we're also looking at unreserved seating block(s). Would that fit in in front of that area in the South Stand? Or, would we be upsetting too many ST holders who prefer to sit in the South Stand already.

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on January 20, 2012, 06:54:05 pm by Rovers Return »
Quote from: \"Superspy\" post=213804
Did you actually read my first post (the one with the image in it)?

Obviously not! :facepalm:

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 20, 2012, 07:28:20 pm by Berkshire Rover »
Personally, I'm all in favour of choice and equally dead set against incurring a load of money that will reduce revenue for the club.

As with the singing section, what do you do about existing season ticket holders who want to continue to sit in the area that may become a safe standing area.

It's always much more difficult to do these things retrospectively .

Not an easy one, that's for sure.

:rtid:

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on January 20, 2012, 08:34:55 pm by Superspy »
Quote from: \"DonnyBazR0ver\" post=213816
Superspy.

I know where you are coming from however, the area you highlight there has a problem.

Imagine you were stood on the extreme left or right of that area, the people seated
next to you would not be able to see properly.

I did actually think of that, but only after I'd used paint to mess with the image, perhaps something more like this could help with sight lines...?

[attachment=964]KeepmoatStadium13b.jpg[/attachment]

Difficult to judge without actually testing it inside the ground I suppose.

paddy hoops

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on January 22, 2012, 06:02:35 pm by paddy hoops »
Safe seating definetly needs to happen. I can't believe how rubbish the atmosphere at the KM is when you think about how much better it was at Belle Vue. One standing section by its self obviously won't recreate all the atmosphere that was lost by moving to the KM, but it'll at least improve it.

Also, if the club does charge less for standing, it will obviously bring in younger fans. I mean I'm 22 and can't afford to pay £25 a game, so 18 to 20 year olds definetly won't be able to, especially if it means having to sit in a morgue every game. Part of the fun of going to games as a teen is going in a group of mates and joining in with the chants and feeling part of a bigger group of fans.

If they're going to have it though it should really be in the south stand. The problem with the north/west corner is the separation caused by the walkways and stuff. Basically safe standing must happen.
Also, if they follow the German model, do you think they'll equip stuards with beer legs to dispense refills?...... Just putting it out there.

COME ON YOU HOOPS!!!

paddy hoops

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on January 22, 2012, 07:59:21 pm by paddy hoops »
Beer kegs, not legs. Sorry :aok:

COME ON YOU HOOPS!!!

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on January 23, 2012, 09:50:03 am by bobjimwilly »
To be able to reduce prices for the safe standing section I would have thought the section would have to be in an area where people couldn't move to a non-standing section seat, otherwise people will obviously try and buy the cheaper tickets and procede to sit in their \"normal\" seats :blink:

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 23, 2012, 09:54:45 am by benaldo »
I think what we all know, is that implementing standing, when not many people actually want to stand, in a football stadium where people have begun to establish their own \"scenting areas\" and have made friends with the people around them, is going to be as difficult as herding cats.

Good luck to anyone who trys it. Oh and I suppose the major issue is the likelihood that we'll all be looking at a load of mostly empty terracing every home game and in the current financial climate, I can't see that going down well?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on January 23, 2012, 11:59:25 am by Filo »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=214617
I think what we all know, is that implementing standing, when not many people actually want to stand, in a football stadium where people have begun to establish their own \"scenting areas\" and have made friends with the people around them, is going to be as difficult as herding cats.

Good luck to anyone who trys it. Oh and I suppose the major issue is the likelihood that we'll all be looking at a load of mostly empty terracing every home game and in the current financial climate, I can't see that going down well?

Yep, I`ve pissed all around the area of my seat to mark my territory! :thumbsup:

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on January 23, 2012, 02:33:04 pm by Rios »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=214617

That's an assumption and a half and no mistake.  How do you come to that conclusion?

Far less difficult than converting all the top divisions stadiums to all-seater after the Taylor Report which cost untold amounts of money, mostly funded by Sky subscribers and rocketing ticket prices with the FL and clubs saying it would never be possible.

The club/SMC have already moved season ticket holders in the past when it suited them and very little fuss was created.  The first time was to create a sterile area down in the West \"B\" area where I had a season ticket in the first season at the KM and this was \"not available\" for the second season, with those particular seats only available when we get a capacity crowd.  I've no doubt they did the same to a larger extent in the East stand to accomodate the new away extension.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on January 23, 2012, 02:37:06 pm by benaldo »
Well you're wrong to say it's based on an assumption, but it is only based on one piece of evidence - the Notts C game, which was a little bit terrible really. From where I was after about 20 minutes around the same number of people were standing up as usually stand up in that area on normal match days. And we all know how poor the singing was.

Ok, so it's only one game, but if 90% of the people who actually specifically go into a \"safe standing area\" end up sitting down after half an hour and stop singing, it sort of leads me to think \"hmmm?\". You can't blame me.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on January 23, 2012, 02:41:58 pm by DRNaith »
I wasn't aware that the area you refer to had anything to do with being a safe standing area. I thought it was allocated as an area for people who wanted to be together for the purpose of singing together.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on January 23, 2012, 02:48:41 pm by Rios »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=214696
Well you're wrong to say it's based on an assumption, but it is only based on one piece of evidence - the Notts C game, which was a little bit terrible really. From where I was after about 20 minutes around the same number of people were standing up as usually stand up in that area on normal match days. And we all know how poor the singing was.

Ok, so it's only one game, but if 90% of the people who actually specifically go into a \"safe standing area\" end up sitting down after half an hour and stop singing, it sort of leads me to think \"hmmm?\". You can't blame me.

That was a singing area, not standing so bares no reflection on demand for the latter (or former judging by the amount of singing done!)

Having been to Stalybridge five times this season, more than two thirds of those stand up.  It's also a flat rate to get in (one turnstile block) so the choice to stand or sit is completely upto the individual.  Given the choice, like at Scunthorpe for example, I'd say there would be enough demand to convert the whole of the South Stand whilst leaving the other two stands, which like Scunthorpes would not be full.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on January 23, 2012, 02:49:56 pm by Mr1Croft »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=214696

That is just an assumption based on one game for the whole footballing population.

I was in attendance of the league two play off final, where over 50% of the Stevenage fans and Torquay fans were stood for the entire 90 minutes.

At Huddersfield this season they have a singing section for some games in the same stand of the away fans, and 90% of those fans stand.

Scunthorpe continue to fill their stand behind the goal where it is standing as opposed to the sides that remain empty despite being seated.

Watching Match of the Day and it's clear to see the amount of away fans that stand all game, and this continues in the 'kop' at Liverpool, the Stretford end at Old Trafford, the 'Shed' at Stamford Bridge.

Here is a standard picture which is the norm at matches, it just so happens that we are one of the teams that prove the exception...

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on January 23, 2012, 02:52:21 pm by benaldo »
Like I said, it's our fans that don't want to stand up.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on January 23, 2012, 02:55:13 pm by Mr1Croft »
You never said that, you said \"many people don't want to stand\"

Therefore you are implying about the entire footballing population, you never said DRFC, you said DRFC vs NCFC was your evidence, but that does not represent any other club, especially as many Notts County fans remained stood for the entire game...

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on January 23, 2012, 02:55:31 pm by Rios »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=214705

And yet when we go to Peterborough the seating area for our fans is never sold out and the majority choose to purchase standing tickets...

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on January 23, 2012, 03:19:58 pm by benaldo »
Quote from: \"Mr1Croft\" post=214708
You never said that, you said \"many people don't want to stand\"

Therefore you are implying about the entire footballing population, you never said DRFC, you said DRFC vs NCFC was your evidence, but that does not represent any other club, especially as many Notts County fans remained stood for the entire game...

OK, so in case you don't actually have ESP -

What I MEANT was \"In the case of DRFC\".....as shown in the NOtts C game.

Jesus christ........ :unsure:

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on January 23, 2012, 03:37:46 pm by bobjimwilly »
Quote from: \"Filo\" post=214655
Yep, I`ve pissed all around the area of my seat to mark my territory! :thumbsup:

:woohoo:

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on January 23, 2012, 04:03:56 pm by ditch_drfc »
I'd love to see this happen. I prefer to stand at a match. Adds to the atmosphere for me.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on January 23, 2012, 04:19:17 pm by Donnybax »
I too prefer standing at games and it's one of the reasons why I prefer away games. I'd love there to be a safe standing part of the keepmoat

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on January 23, 2012, 04:21:53 pm by RedJ »
Benaldo - it didn't help that the stewards were going round \"encouraging\" people to take their seats..

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on January 23, 2012, 07:14:21 pm by River Don »
Quote from: \"Rios\" post=214709

And yet when we go to Peterborough the seating area for our fans is never sold out and the majority choose to purchase standing tickets...

Precisely, whenever Rovers visit grounds with the choice of seating and standing areas, the vast majority always chose to stand.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on January 23, 2012, 08:03:20 pm by wilts rover »
Quote from: \"River Don\" post=214808

Precisely, whenever Rovers visit grounds with the choice of seating and standing areas, the vast majority always [strike]chose to stand[/strike] go for the cheapest option.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on January 24, 2012, 08:03:54 am by Rios »
Quote from: \"wilts rover\" post=214827
Quote from: \"River Don\" post=214808

Precisely, whenever Rovers visit grounds with the choice of seating and standing areas, the vast majority always [strike]chose to stand[/strike] go for the cheapest option.

Good point, but that's no different to what happens with the home crowd at Scunny... and the original point was that our fans don't want to stand up, whereas when given a choice it's obvious that most do regardless of their reasoning.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012