Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 06:51:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Oster  (Read 7022 times)

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
Re: Oster
« Reply #30 on February 02, 2012, 08:42:00 am by ditch_drfc »
I think we will all just have to agree to disagree. Fair enough if you think he's great. But i don't. I reckon looking at this thread its half and half on how people feel about him. Seems to be extremes though which is weird. Think people either think he's really good, or just really bad

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 02, 2012, 09:37:50 am by wilts rover »
Not suprising Ditch, John Oster has the potential to be really good or really bad - like most of our team. Its just that some posters want to pick up on one side of that and ignore the other. I do think we would fit into an O'driscoll 4 man passing midfield rather than a Saunders 3 man chasing one - so its upto Saunders to get the best out of him.

And no he wasn't bought to replace Wellens, he played most of his career as a left winger and started off on the left when he came. Woods was played central. We also got Fortune as a central midfielder.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on February 02, 2012, 09:45:30 am by wilts rover »
Not suprising Ditch, John Oster has the potential to be really good or really bad - like most of our team. Its just that some posters want to pick up on one side of that and ignore the other. I do think we would fit into an O'driscoll 4 man passing midfield rather than a Saunders 3 man chasing one - so its upto Saunders to get the best out of him.

And no he wasn't bought to replace Wellens, he played most of his career as a left winger and started off on the left when he came. Woods was played central. We also got Fortune as a central midfielder.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on February 02, 2012, 11:46:56 am by mjdgreg »
Get off Oster's back you thick numpties. We need everyone pulling together. If he reads this forum what's that gonna do to his confidence? Some of you would be dangerous if you had brains.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on February 02, 2012, 12:11:01 pm by RoversAlias »
So Scholes tackling was worse than a 2 year old yet he become one of the premierships best players.

In fairness, Scholes' tackling only became awful when he lost his legs and was clearly too old to cut it at the very top level anymore. The same thing has probably happened to Oster.

Quote from: \"mjdgreg\" post=217219
Get off Oster's back you thick numpties. We need everyone pulling together. If he reads this forum what's that gonna do to his confidence? Some of you would be dangerous if you had brains.

Oh please, he's a grown man. For one I doubt he reads this forum, and secondly I can't imagine his confidence and self-esteem is wrapped up in what a few fans say on an internet forum.

And there's no need to call everyone who shares an opposing view to you \"thick numpties\" either.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on February 02, 2012, 12:19:37 pm by silent majority »

Madmick,

I thought you had retired??

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on February 02, 2012, 12:35:55 pm by ditch_drfc »

God i hope he does read this forum! It might make him realise how much of an idiot he is off the pitch and how crap he is on the pitch!

And as for the confidence thing, have you seen him? He thinks he's god's gift to everything! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on February 02, 2012, 01:13:15 pm by scuzzer »
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=217171
Quote from: \"Lewis Guys Dentist\" post=217167
Quote from: \"Rover87\" post=217111
Well because he's been about, seen him play at other clubs. I knew a lot about Oster when we signed him. He wasn't a saint, wasn't a midfield general. He can play it about though, and to call a player of his quality 'shit' is ridiculous. He might play a lot better without so many people on his back.

Grow up. 'he might play better without so many people on his back'. What a ridiculous comment. If the several thousands a week isn't a motivater to make a challenge then nothing is. Your all forgetting we got this player to replace Wellens. Oster can't hold a light to Wellens.

I can't understand why people think he's so amazing. He's absolute toss. He backs out of EVERY challenge which leads us to concede goals. Granted he creates goals. I've never liked him. Abit like Benaldo with Sam Hird I'll give Oster credit when it's due. E.g. The ball he played to Sharp at Scunny. Other than that. Well..

John Oster or Paul Keegan?

Anyone who picks that numpty in front of Oster really has got rocks in their head!

Has he shagged your mum either that or you dont appreciate football?!?

He has consistently been one of our best players in Championship.

Christ he has been out of action with a serious neck problem for several months

SO all you need to do is go around like a meat head to be your star player?

I pay to watch the finer aspects of the game if I wanted some half wits kicking lumps out of each other Id watch a pub team......mmmmmm

pubteam

« Reply #38 on February 02, 2012, 01:20:07 pm by pubteam »
I don't think it's really fair to assess Oster's worth to the team until he's fully fit. And I certainly wouldn't jump to any conclusions based on one performance in any case.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on February 02, 2012, 01:21:25 pm by MrFrost »
Oster has been crap for some time now. Half of last season he just couldn't be bothered and spent more time arguing with his team mates or trying to blame them for his mistakes than he does actually playing.

Anyone forget how he was booed of the field at Hull last season after kicking the ball into his own supporters?

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 02, 2012, 01:57:21 pm by roversam »
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=217238
Oster has been crap for some time now. Half of last season he just couldn't be bothered and spent more time arguing with his team mates or trying to blame them for his mistakes than he does actually playing.

Anyone forget how he was booed of the field at Hull last season after kicking the ball into his own supporters?
I was at that match Frosty, sat in the left hand side of the away stand and Oster did not kick the ball into his own supporters at all, the ball went into their fans, i never heard any booing either, just a few laughing.I agree that he was crap the other night but dont forget it was his first full game for quite a while so give him some slack ffs.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on February 02, 2012, 02:57:24 pm by CusworthRovers »
Your post is 100% accurate Roversam.

Oster single handedly carried our injury ravaged side last season. You cannot blame his performances last season with the team that was around him and the set systematic approach he and the team was used. All struggled once all the injuries came in to play.

Oster was outstanding for us when he was playing central and deep. I'm not sure on his role as a left sided midfielder or in this current set up

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 02, 2012, 03:56:39 pm by ditch_drfc »
Quote from: \"CusworthRovers\" post=217266

Oster single handedly carried our injury ravaged side last season. You cannot blame his performances last season with the team that was around him and the set systematic approach he and the team was used. All struggled once all the injuries came in to play.

Oster was outstanding for us when he was playing central and deep. I'm not sure on his role as a left sided midfielder or in this current set up

Single handedly carried our side last season!?! That is absolute rubbish! You can't actually be serious about that?

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on February 02, 2012, 04:05:36 pm by donnyroversfc »
Ditch, Oster is the messiah to most Rovers fans. His passing is unrivalled (even though Stocky is miles better at that).

Norfolk, It's not so much that he can't tackle (we never see him do that so can't really judge) It's that he WON'T tackle. He neshes out of EVERY challenge.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on February 02, 2012, 04:19:31 pm by RoversAlias »
Quote from: \"roversam\" post=217250

I was at that match Frosty, sat in the left hand side of the away stand and Oster did not kick the ball into his own supporters at all, the ball went into their fans, i never heard any booing either, just a few laughing.I agree that he was crap the other night but dont forget it was his first full game for quite a while so give him some slack ffs.

You must not have heard me and a few others yell at him then. I was furious with him when he did that, it was pathetic as I iterated on the last page.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on February 02, 2012, 06:11:44 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Quote from: \"ditch_drfc\" post=217283
Quote from: \"CusworthRovers\" post=217266

Single handedly carried our side last season!?! That is absolute rubbish! You can't actually be serious about that?

Cussy should be serious about it because he's dead right.

Rover87

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on February 02, 2012, 06:19:58 pm by Rover87 »
Well because he's been about, seen him play at other clubs. I knew a lot about Oster when we signed him. He wasn't a saint, wasn't a midfield general. He can play it about though, and to call a player of his quality 'shit' is ridiculous. He might play a lot better without so many people on his back.

Grow up. 'he might play better without so many people on his back'. What a ridiculous comment. If the several thousands a week isn't a motivater to make a challenge then nothing is. Your all forgetting we got this player to replace Wellens. Oster can't hold a light to Wellens.

I can't understand why people think he's so amazing. He's absolute toss. He backs out of EVERY challenge which leads us to concede goals. Granted he creates goals. I've never liked him. Abit like Benaldo with Sam Hird I'll give Oster credit when it's due. E.g. The ball he played to Sharp at Scunny. Other than that. Well..

Grow up? Why do some people on here talk so provactively to one another when they haven't got a clue who there talking too. I don't have to try and be the big man on a website. I try to voice my opinion in a friendly polite manner, yet you still get idiots looking for an argument.

Oster might be off form, but do you honestly believe he isn't good enough? Have you played football at a good standard? I have. I can tell you that having a workhorse ball winner in midfield is brilliant. They do a lot for the team and break up play, however they are nothing without a player who gets there foot on the ball and knocks it about.
Granted Oster may be off form, but I think If we want to stay up we need him to get back to his best. I don't think that a thread saying how bad he is, is really going to help him.
Your right he is on a good wage, but money isn't going to help him get his confidence back, where as a run in the team and a bit of support from the fans will. As long as Oster is fit I think Saunders will play him so why not give him a few more games and see what he does. What option do we have for his role at the minute, If you can honestly suggest a better 1st 11 from our fit players without him in it, and justify it I will hold my hands up and shut up. At the minute I don't think you can pal, so i'd get behind him.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on February 02, 2012, 06:25:29 pm by Red wizard »
How anyone can say he is rubbish is crazy. Granted he had a bad game the other night but as a creative player he is the best we have. Cut him some slack and try getting behind the team.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on February 02, 2012, 06:29:16 pm by ditch_drfc »
Quote from: \"Rover87\" post=217323

Grow up? Why do some people on here talk so provactively to one another when they haven't got a clue who there talking too. I don't have to try and be the big man on a website. I try to voice my opinion in a friendly polite manner, yet you still get idiots looking for an argument.

Oster might be off form, but do you honestly believe he isn't good enough? Have you played football at a good standard? I have. I can tell you that having a workhorse ball winner in midfield is brilliant. They do a lot for the team and break up play, however they are nothing without a player who gets there foot on the ball and knocks it about.
Granted Oster may be off form, but I think If we want to stay up we need him to get back to his best. I don't think that a thread saying how bad he is, is really going to help him.
Your right he is on a good wage, but money isn't going to help him get his confidence back, where as a run in the team and a bit of support from the fans will. As long as Oster is fit I think Saunders will play him so why not give him a few more games and see what he does. What option do we have for his role at the minute, If you can honestly suggest a better 1st 11 from our fit players without him in it, and justify it I will hold my hands up and shut up. At the minute I don't think you can pal, so i'd get behind him.

like i said earlier, agree to disagree. . .

where did you play football and what stopped you?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on February 02, 2012, 07:08:26 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
He's oner of those players that provokes debate. One minute brilliant, then next he does something that winds everyone up.

He's never going to be a player that get's stuck in and we could argue whether he attempts to tackle at all. Yes, we've seen him dangle a leg in there at times and earlier this season, I remember him making two attempts at a professional foul on a player running through and the player didn't even realise Oster was trying to bring him down !!

However, he's a player who can find pockets of space with and without the ball and cause all sorts of problems when he's on song. He and Stock in the same team should complement each other and when we expect one to do the others job then it's a tough ask.

When Stock was missing, Oster played the quarterback role and took the responsibility very well although, there were aspects of that job he struggled with.

Players like Oster and Woods need a bit of time to get back in to the game after their injuries as it's mainly their quick thinking that causes the damage. Stock on the other hand playing the anchor role has no where to hide and to be fair, I think he's played well overall this season.

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on February 02, 2012, 07:40:44 pm by roversam »
Quote from: \"RoversAlias\" post=217293

You must not have heard me and a few others yell at him then. I was furious with him when he did that, it was pathetic as I iterated on the last page.
Very sorry you thought it was pathetic and booed him, but most people sat around us laughed because we thought it made him look like a spoilt brat, funny how we are all different innit. Do you agree though that he kicked the ball into the home fans not ours.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on February 02, 2012, 07:53:34 pm by philsky »
For me (for what its worth), Oster, Woodsy, Stocky - with either Bennett or Gillet are a
pretty decent midfield.

Stock needs oster for me. he's a great foil and takes some of the passing duties>

RTID

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on February 02, 2012, 07:59:00 pm by RoversAlias »
Quote from: \"roversam\" post=217357

Very sorry you thought it was pathetic and booed him, but most people sat around us laughed because we thought it made him look like a spoilt brat, funny how we are all different innit. Do you agree though that he kicked the ball into the home fans not ours.

Yes, he just kicked it and to my knowledge it landed in the home end.

Cusworth, saying that he 'single-handedly carried the team last year' is grossly unfair on a number of our other players, namely that striker we used to have called Billy Sharp. Not to mention a host of others.

ferribyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on February 02, 2012, 08:27:08 pm by ferribyrover »
So many different views about this!
My two penneth is that Oster was very very poor Tues night. Maybe marginally less poor than Bamogo, but the other 9 players battled well and it was a good point for us.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on February 02, 2012, 09:17:07 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
To get to the point if anyone thinks Oster is not a good player then they know nothing about football!

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on February 02, 2012, 10:06:49 pm by ditch_drfc »
That's just not true is it though. . .

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on February 02, 2012, 11:38:58 pm by drfcsteve »
Quote from: \"RoversAlias\" post=217366
Quote from: \"roversam\" post=217357

Yes, he just kicked it and to my knowledge it landed in the home end.

Cusworth, saying that he 'single-handedly carried the team last year' is grossly unfair on a number of our other players, namely that striker we used to have called Billy Sharp. Not to mention a host of others.

Billy Sharp carried the team when he was injured did he?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on February 03, 2012, 01:31:33 am by RoversAlias »
Nice convenient ignorance of my last sentence. Here it is again, separated from all other text for you so you can't miss it..

Not to mention a host of others.

No one player carried the team. Many players contributed, such is the nature of a football TEAM. Sharp scored 15 goals, 16 if we include the strike against Wolves in the FA Cup. James Hayter weighed in with his fair share as well, even winning the division's Player of the Month award IIRC. Coppinger, Sullivan, Friend, Hird, O'Connor, Dumbuya, Stock, Gillett, I could go on, and on, and on. John Oster is of course included in there as well, but to say he carried the entire team all season is unfair to all of these other players, like I said before.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on February 03, 2012, 09:43:17 am by bobjimwilly »
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=217386
To get to the point if anyone thinks Oster is not a good player then they know nothing about football!

:facepalm:

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on February 03, 2012, 09:54:39 am by Norfolk N Chance »
Quote from: \"ferribyrover\" post=217378
So many different views about this!
My two penneth is that Oster was very very poor Tues night. Maybe marginally less poor than Bamogo, but the other 9 players battled well and it was a good point for us.

Surely if Oster has not had positional sense and cleared two balls off the line then we would have lost?

Or do we conveniently forget that?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012