Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 03:48:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Superbowl  (Read 14245 times)

GM-MarkB

Re: Superbowl
« Reply #60 on January 23, 2013, 05:16:16 pm by GM-MarkB »
Hmm I have a bit of a soft spot for Pam Oliver.....

But she's no Jenn Brown mind  :whistle:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

phllvslc

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on January 26, 2013, 02:33:55 am by phllvslc »
Erin Andrews all the way for me :)

colin cramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on February 01, 2013, 08:42:55 pm by colin cramb »
come on then NFL fans, i dont know much about the game but i love a bet, so who's gonna win?? at the prices i might have to go for baltimore  :thumbsup:

The Mighty Brian Rowe

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on February 01, 2013, 10:50:01 pm by The Mighty Brian Rowe »
as a Niners fan for 25 years I hate to say this but the Ravens look the best value. The Niners D has looked less than secure over the last few weeks and Flacco could well take advantage of the (usually excellent) secondary. When the Niners have lost this year it tends to be a blow out but with 2 weeks to prepare I can see this being close and just about a Niners win. Forget Kaepernick, it could come down to David Akers and if he can find some of last years form I hope (and pray) the Niners will edge it. Either way, gonna be bleary eyed come Monday morning.

colin cramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on February 02, 2013, 02:17:26 pm by colin cramb »
hi bri you obviously know your stuff, im just looking at the odds for MVP and Flacco is 11/4 favourite i assume he is the 49's quaterback? ray lewis 9/1 and ray rice 19/2 are the next in line, which of these is the ravens quaterback?
Also you say David Akers could prove the difference, what position is he? he's a massive 150/1 might be worth a nicker!?!?  :thumbsup:

GM-MarkB

« Reply #65 on February 02, 2013, 02:43:44 pm by GM-MarkB »
The Ravens have only played against one team with a Quarterback of the 'new era' this season..and lost. Admitedly it was in overtime to the Redskins and RG III. But their defence has played all season against the traditional 'pocket' QB. Kaepernick has revived the 49'ers season somewhat since replacing Alex Smith, so much so that Smith will be at the Chiefs next seson (you heard it hear first) with their new HC, Andy Reid, who is a fan of the demoted QB.

Akers is coming into the game with the 4th or 5th lowest season %'age for field goals made in SB history...he has been flakey this season.

Flacco has a less than stellar group of WR's to throw to so the onus may be on Ray Rice to run them to the title if the 49'ers can generate a decent pass rush.

On the other hand, if Kaepernick doesn't run the Ravens 'D' to death, he has Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis (who had a monster NFC title game) and of course their is still Randy Moss

But....will the stage be set for Ray Lewis to deliver his Coup de Gras in his final (??) game ?

If you pin me down, i'd take the 49'ers by 10...they have more weapons on the offence than the Ravens. But I don't think it's going to be a points-fest

Sky+ for me..i'm up at 4am for work  :thumbdown:

Sandy Lane

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on February 03, 2013, 02:45:06 pm by Sandy Lane »
Rooting for the Ravens tonight, for no particular reason other than they have won it less often than S.F., and also we're hosting a party and some of the people are from Maryland!   ;)

phllvslc

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on February 03, 2013, 03:43:43 pm by phllvslc »
While the Ravens may have only played against one 'new era' quarterback, Flacco is far more experienced than Kaepernick.  This will only be Kaepernick's tenth start.  Flacco is the only QB to have won a playoff game in each of his first five seasons.

As for the wide receivers, I wouldn't describe Anquan Boldin as less than stellar.  Sure he isn't Calvin Johnson, or Andre Johnson, but he still puts up numbers nonetheless.  As for Kaepernick just dishing out the ball left, right and centre, you must also remember that the Ravens have Ed Reed, one of the best ball hawking safeties the game has ever seen.  It'll be hard to throw deep on a prolonged basis.  Randy Moss also posted his worst career statistics in many categories this season.

Both teams have fantastic offensive and defensive lines.  Ray Rice for Baltimore, and Frank Gore for San Francisco will struggle to pound it up the middle.  I'd give San Francisco the nod at linebacker.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to experience.  There are more Ravens players with experience of big games than there are on the 49ers.

Baltimore by a touchdown.

GM-MarkB

« Reply #68 on February 03, 2013, 07:22:21 pm by GM-MarkB »
Boldin is a stand out, but as a group they just don't match up to the 49'ers...that was my point. As for Kaepernick, I just think he gives San Fran something extra.

I'll stick by my prediction, but ultimately I just hope it's a good game

The Mighty Brian Rowe

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on February 03, 2013, 08:47:25 pm by The Mighty Brian Rowe »
Kaepernick's inexperience worries me, although upto now he's shown little sign of big match nerves.

I was really impressed with the way he dealt with the crowd noise in Atlanta after horrow shows in Seattle and the first quarter there.

If he can remember that he has more weapons than just Crabtree and get the ball to Davis I can see plenty of points for the Niners but still think they're going to have to run the ball effectively to win. Ok, Gore doesn't need 120 yds and 2 TD's but has ot to be able to keep the Ravens D honest.

I can see the Niners secondary having a good day as well with maybe a couple of picks.

Overall Niners by 7 (31-24?), maybe having to come from behind again... MVP Kaepernick as I can't see one reciever catching enough balls, and as said previously, Gore is going to have problems getting  much up the middle.

I couldn't care less how good the game is as long as the Niners win :-) :woohoo:

The Mighty Brian Rowe

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on February 04, 2013, 01:24:00 am by The Mighty Brian Rowe »
Awful first half by the Niners. Mistakes on every drive, DB's getting burned everytime Flacco has the ball.

#bagoshiteninerssortitoutffs

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on February 04, 2013, 01:29:35 am by Glyn_Wigley »
If Rovers had got to the final of something and the ticket price had been hiked to some astronomical amount just to pay for that shower of shite that passed for half time entertainment I'd have been well pissed off.

GM-MarkB

« Reply #72 on February 04, 2013, 07:12:32 pm by GM-MarkB »
Well...

Just finished watching on Sky+...not sure what to make of that. A game made thrilling by some very questionable decisions by everyone involved in the game. It should have all been over when Jacoby Jones decided to run the second half kick off back for a TD. In fact I said to myself, 'this game is over' when he did...I didn't see a way back for San Fran

Why it took them so long to go to the Option Read is baffling to me. Once they did (after the power cut) they looked a different team.

Despite his couple of catches, Randy Moss should have his contract torn up...best ever ?? He's not even the best on his  team...didn't look interested.

Kaepernick is going to be a Super Star, no question. Looked the part but not helped by some eractic play calling by Greg Roman in the first half IMO. Should have stuck to what got them there.

Flacco MVP ?? Hmm ok...I guess that's what happens when you let the public decide...I'd have given it to Jones for his 2 spectacular scores.

Great game but not for all the right reasons IMO

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/47/commercials#video=0ap2000000134649

The Mighty Brian Rowe

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on February 04, 2013, 08:06:27 pm by The Mighty Brian Rowe »
I agree with most of what you said Mark, quite why they too so long to play to Kapaernick's strengths was baffling.

Moss just seemed lazy, the instance in the first half where there was almost a pick was inexscusable.

Still, a bright future under Kapaernick, maybe next year.

I'm presuming from your post that you would have given the hold on 4th and goal. I was nearly as annoyed as Harbaugh looked.

Until next year...

GM-MarkB

« Reply #74 on February 05, 2013, 03:38:39 pm by GM-MarkB »
I agree with most of what you said Mark, quite why they too so long to play to Kapaernick's strengths was baffling.

Moss just seemed lazy, the instance in the first half where there was almost a pick was inexscusable.

I'm presuming from your post that you would have given the hold on 4th and goal. I was nearly as annoyed as Harbaugh looked.

Until next year...

It was close but the most questionable part of that was why they didn't try to smash it in with either Gore or a Kaepernick keeper.

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on February 05, 2013, 05:54:17 pm by Sheepskin Stu »

Until next year...

It was close but the most questionable part of that was why they didn't try to smash it in with either Gore or a Kaepernick keeper.

I was shouting at the TV on third and fourth down. Dreadful play calling.  Even a run to the corners was preferable.

The Mighty Brian Rowe

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on February 05, 2013, 06:29:47 pm by The Mighty Brian Rowe »
I was amazed they didn't try rolling Kaepernick out on either 3rd or 4th with the option to run or pass.

Greg Roman, I'm sure will be back but it's been really worrying the amount of slow starts the Offence has had lately.

Hopefully lessons learnt (and draft a good rookie kicker in the first few rounds please)

GM-MarkB

« Reply #77 on February 28, 2013, 07:51:49 pm by GM-MarkB »
The Ravens have only played against one team with a Quarterback of the 'new era' this season..and lost. Admitedly it was in overtime to the Redskins and RG III. But their defence has played all season against the traditional 'pocket' QB. Kaepernick has revived the 49'ers season somewhat since replacing Alex Smith, so much so that Smith will be at the Chiefs next seson (you heard it hear first) with their new HC, Andy Reid, who is a fan of the demoted QB.

Akers is coming into the game with the 4th or 5th lowest season %'age for field goals made in SB history...he has been flakey this season.

Flacco has a less than stellar group of WR's to throw to so the onus may be on Ray Rice to run them to the title if the 49'ers can generate a decent pass rush.

On the other hand, if Kaepernick doesn't run the Ravens 'D' to death, he has Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis (who had a monster NFC title game) and of course their is still Randy Moss

But....will the stage be set for Ray Lewis to deliver his Coup de Gras in his final (??) game ?

If you pin me down, i'd take the 49'ers by 10...they have more weapons on the offence than the Ravens. But I don't think it's going to be a points-fest

Sky+ for me..i'm up at 4am for work  :thumbdown:

And as I predicted, Alex Smith today becomes the Chiefs' QB

phllvslc

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on March 04, 2013, 04:07:20 pm by phllvslc »
That should be a good addition for the Chiefs.  They havn't had a solid QB since Trent Green left, and that was a good few years ago.

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on March 04, 2013, 04:12:12 pm by DaveDRFC »
Hopefully lessons learnt (and draft a good rookie kicker in the first few rounds please)

How about this one? :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/american-football/21653438

GM-MarkB

« Reply #80 on March 04, 2013, 07:49:19 pm by GM-MarkB »

How about this one? :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/american-football/21653438

It's a great idea, but in truth, how many of the owners are really going to take a chance on a female player ?

phllvslc

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on March 06, 2013, 04:41:45 am by phllvslc »
No-one drafts kickers in the first few rounds.  It was either the last draft or the one before that, Jacksonville took a punter in the third round and were crucified for it.  It's just not something that's done.

The Mighty Brian Rowe

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on March 06, 2013, 07:12:25 pm by The Mighty Brian Rowe »
Agreed, by the first few rounds I meant maybe 3 or 4. You'd probably get the best Rookie kicker out there in  of those rounds

GM-MarkB

« Reply #83 on March 06, 2013, 08:27:17 pm by GM-MarkB »
Randy Bullock (lol) was selected by the Texans with pick 161 last year...and was injured before the season started.

Of the 4 kickers selected last year, the 2 that made any impact were Greg Zuerlein (171)  of the Rams and Blair Walsh (175) of the Vikings.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on March 06, 2013, 11:35:01 pm by RoversAlias »
Greg Zuerlein's success was even more remarkable wasn't it, being that he was spotted totally out of the bue at a regional combine trial?

The Mighty Brian Rowe

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on March 08, 2013, 06:54:26 pm by The Mighty Brian Rowe »
Akers released, so free agent, trade or draft???

GM-MarkB

« Reply #86 on March 15, 2013, 06:04:26 pm by GM-MarkB »
Rams trade Steven Jackson to the Falcons

Patriots trade Wes Welker to the Broncos

It's all starting to bubble up nicely

GM-MarkB

« Reply #87 on April 16, 2013, 11:28:56 pm by GM-MarkB »
Sad news reaches us today.....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/04/16/pat-summerall-cbs-fox-nfl/2088571/

John Madden (right) and him behind the Mic were an early NFL way of life for me...he will be sadly missed  :(
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:34:03 pm by GM-MarkB »

The Mighty Brian Rowe

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on April 17, 2013, 12:27:45 pm by The Mighty Brian Rowe »
Very sad news indeed. Sumerall and Madden will always be the best. Never quite felt the same when John moved to MNF.

:(

GM-MarkB

« Reply #89 on April 17, 2013, 01:50:27 pm by GM-MarkB »
Indeed Brian...you could be watching the most boring game of all time..but if they were in the booth you knew you would be entertained no matter what

TinyPortal © 2005-2012