Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 02:21:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Diouf  (Read 14644 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Diouf
« Reply #90 on February 20, 2012, 10:51:09 am by dickos1 »
The same quote also states were talking about the last 25 years.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ScillyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on February 20, 2012, 10:54:06 am by ScillyRover »
Quote from: \"mjdgreg\" post=221135
Diouf is the best player ever to pull on a Rovers shirt period. We are extremely lucky to have him so get off his back and give him our full support.

What utter bulls**t. Thats an absolute insult to some of the great players that have represented our club for the last 100 years or more. There are literally dozens of players that would deserve that accolade well before Diouf. Have you just jumped out of your pram and started following DRFC ?. Diouf is a good player but you must be in cloud cuckoo land if you think that the next time I visit the Keepmoat I'll be approaching the stadium along 'Diouf Way'

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on February 20, 2012, 10:54:24 am by MrFrost »
I highlighted in bold the part of the quote I was refering to,.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on February 20, 2012, 11:01:56 am by Norfolk N Chance »
There is no discussion to be had Diouf is the finest player in the history of the club!

How anyone can have moan about him is based of media perception.

My understanding is he was the VICTIM on Saturday and hopefully he will press charges!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on February 20, 2012, 11:05:30 am by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=221176
There is no discussion to be had Diouf is the finest player in the history of the club!

My understanding is he was the VICTIM on Saturday and hopefully he will press charges!

Clearly there is a discussion, as the thread is over 5 pages long.
I disagree. I'm sure those who saw King Alick play will be of the opinion Diouf wasn't fit to lace his boots!

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on February 20, 2012, 11:07:11 am by ditch_drfc »
Deciding who best player is, is very much down to personal opinion. On paper, Diouf is the best player to come to Rovers.

But it's what you classify as best player isn't it? I mean do you class being twice african player of the year as best player? Or someone who won the fans?

Personally for me, It's McIndoe.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on February 20, 2012, 11:07:26 am by Wild Rover »
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221152
Quote from: \"Wild Rover\" post=221148
Quote from: \"VivaRovers\" post=221139
That said, listing Diouf's past achievements and accolades doesn't really carry any weight in the opinions about him being the best player to play for the club in 25 years.

I mean Neville Southall was widely regarded as the best goalkeeper in the world in the mid-80s so on that basis he'd be the best player to play for Rovers in 25 years.

Even with Southall as my boyhood footballing hero I concede that this wasn't the case.

With regards to the Pele thing i  concede he made goofs and gaffes and possibly erred away from fact.

IF NS had been at DRFC in his prime then he probably would be one of best players ever to play for DRFC. EHD is just about still in his prime, and certainly can be regarded as best ever.

Better than Alick Jeffrey? Maybe someone who was lucky enough to see him play can decide that one.

If you bothered to read earlier AJ was one of my players i said was better, but we are talking about last 25 years. And i did see AJ play.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on February 20, 2012, 11:07:40 am by dickos1 »
I can't comment on alick Jeffrey  et al because I have never seen them play. But over the last 25 years he is the best player to play for us by a long way.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on February 20, 2012, 11:10:26 am by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"Wild Rover\" post=221182
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221152
Quote from: \"Wild Rover\" post=221148
Quote from: \"VivaRovers\" post=221139
That said, listing Diouf's past achievements and accolades doesn't really carry any weight in the opinions about him being the best player to play for the club in 25 years.

I mean Neville Southall was widely regarded as the best goalkeeper in the world in the mid-80s so on that basis he'd be the best player to play for Rovers in 25 years.

Even with Southall as my boyhood footballing hero I concede that this wasn't the case.

With regards to the Pele thing i  concede he made goofs and gaffes and possibly erred away from fact.

IF NS had been at DRFC in his prime then he probably would be one of best players ever to play for DRFC. EHD is just about still in his prime, and certainly can be regarded as best ever.

Better than Alick Jeffrey? Maybe someone who was lucky enough to see him play can decide that one.

If you bothered to read earlier AJ was one of my players i said was better, but we are talking about last 25 years. And i did see AJ play.

You said best ever in the post I reffered to.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on February 20, 2012, 11:28:22 am by Wild Rover »
It is written on London buses \"Typhoo Tea\", so by your way of thinking they sell the stuff do they?.

EHD is one of the best ever, if you prefer.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on February 20, 2012, 11:50:27 am by roversontheup »
Whatever your opinions are re EHD he has only played a handful of games for the club.  As all the other players you are mentioning played far more than that and over time became real fans favourites, I think this vote should be re-visited in the future.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on February 20, 2012, 12:27:06 pm by wilts rover »
Quote from: \"inSODwetrust\" post=221163
All I'm saying on the matter is I hate Diouf for what he did in the past!!

On the subject of what the thread was started for 'a tunnel bust-up', you're either team Diouf or team Colin!!

Team Diouf all the way as a Rovers fan!

You hate one of your own players for what he did in the past?

I dont ever remember you commenting on Steve Brooker, John Oster or David Roche for instance. Or the alledged 'night club' incident prior to the Middlesborough game, with alledgedly one of our players attacking another, alledgedly - where is/was your campaign to drive all these players out of the club? Thats without mentioning Gary Brabin, Kevin Hulme or Colin Sutherland - all angelic Rovers players! If there is one thing that annoys me it is hypocrites with double standards.

I gave my opinion the last time we had this 'Diouf is the best player to play for Rovers thread'. Based on what criteria? The difference he makes to the team when he is/isn't playing? Past achievements? How far his team got in a World Cup? Not from the performances I have seen from him he isn't.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on February 20, 2012, 12:46:24 pm by MrFrost »
Didn't Mickey Norbury kill his wife? Still, the hat trick he scored at Scunny puts that into insignificence!

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on February 20, 2012, 12:54:14 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
what is clear is diouf is the best player we have now and we will need him on form to stay up :rtid:

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on February 20, 2012, 01:03:36 pm by Mr1Croft »
Your all wrong.

John Ryan is the greatest man to pull on a Rovers shirt!

Period.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on February 20, 2012, 01:16:33 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221177

I disagree. I'm sure those who saw King Alick play will be of the opinion Diouf wasn't fit to lace his boots!

Diouf is a world famous superstar simples .....

Alick was very popular granted but given his career was cut short, did not achieve anything great did he?

You are letting your heart rule your head and no doubt the negative media headlines!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on February 20, 2012, 01:18:05 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=221242

Alick was very popular granted but given his career was cut short, did not achieve anything great did he?

You are letting your heart rule your head and no doubt the negative media headlines!

Beckham is a world famous superstar. Diouf isn't. The only reason Diouf is famous is because if his past antics!

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on February 20, 2012, 01:28:44 pm by Wild Rover »
Dont talk daft Frosty, did Liverpool pay all those millions because he was no good. Likewise Blackburn and Bolton, and thats why Rangers had him on loan, because of his past antics. There have been many worse than EHD played for DRFC over the years.

He is the same as Didier Drogba, a hell of a player.

Bald Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on February 20, 2012, 01:30:34 pm by Bald Rover »
Slightly confused by all this Diouf bashing!
at the end of the day he hasnt done anything wrong or been proved to do anything wrong as of yet whilst representing the hoops? so he IS a Rovers player who IS here trying to help us survive in this league we all want to stay in, he IS earning probably a fraction of what he is worth and I think we should until proved otherwise be grateful that this guy is prepared to pull on our shirt and go into battle for us! :rtid:

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on February 20, 2012, 01:34:37 pm by The Red Baron »
Quote from: \"Bald Rover\" post=221248
at the end of the day he hasnt done anything wrong or been proved to do anything wrong as of yet whilst representing the hoops? so he IS a Rovers player who IS here trying to help us survive in this league we all want to stay in, he IS earning probably a fraction of what he is worth and I think we should until proved otherwise be grateful that this guy is prepared to pull on our shirt and go into battle for us! :rtid:

I don't get all the Diouf-bashing either, but equally I can't buy all this hype about him being the greatest ever. Surely in terms of caps, trophies won etc. in the earlier part of his career he stands somewhere behind Billy Bremner and Steve Nicol, possibly Big Nev as well.

He's a good player who can help us. Let's leave it at that.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on February 20, 2012, 01:38:35 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221244

Beckham is a world famous superstar. Diouf isn't. The only reason Diouf is famous is because if his past antics!

Have you seen Diouf play? Can you give me an objective opinion of his ability (not what you have read in the media)!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on February 20, 2012, 01:39:39 pm by dickos1 »
Quote from: \"The Red Baron\" post=221251

I don't get all the Diouf-bashing either, but equally I can't buy all this hype about him being the greatest ever. Surely in terms of caps, trophies won etc. in the earlier part of his career he stands somewhere behind Billy Bremner and Steve Nicol, possibly Big Nev as well.

Whether he is our greatest player ever can be discussed but none of us can answer it really cause none if us have seen every player play. With regards to the last 25 years he has to be, players like nicol, southall, newall etc were past their best and playing for a side in the conference.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on February 20, 2012, 01:42:50 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=221253
Quote from: \"The Red Baron\" post=221251

Whether he is our greatest player ever can be discussed but none of us can answer it really cause none if us have seen every player play. With regards to the last 25 years he has to be, players like nicol, southall, newall etc were past their best and playing for a side in the conference.

Excellent post, sorry we need to be more ballsey than this, not 25 years, EVER!!

Based upon the current standards.......

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on February 20, 2012, 01:57:00 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=221252

Have you seen Diouf play? Can you give me an objective opinion of his ability (not what you have read in the media)!

I have, and I am not saying he hasn't got talent. But he isn't a world famous superstar. And all his antics in the media are true. That is a fact, and this has probably stopped him from progressing in his career.
Don't get me wrong, I think it is fantastic he is in our team, but he isn't as good as some are making out. Nor can I believe he is being compared to Drogba. Drogba is far superior and his ahcieved far more.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on February 20, 2012, 02:00:26 pm by dickos1 »
Ok frosty, give me some players who can be compared to diouf that have played for us in last 25 years. Not players that used to be good either. Players that were better than diouf in a rovers shirt

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on February 20, 2012, 02:02:32 pm by MrFrost »
Sharp for one.
I also thought Fortune looked a better player in the short time he was with us.

But I was responding to the comment that he isn't the best EVER. I never once commented on the last 25 years.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on February 20, 2012, 02:05:27 pm by Wild Rover »
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221261

I have, and I am not saying he hasn't got talent. But he isn't a world famous superstar. And all his antics in the media are true. That is a fact, and this has probably stopped him from progressing in his career.
Don't get me wrong, I think it is fantastic he is in our team, but he isn't as good as some are making out. Nor can I believe he is being compared to Drogba. Drogba is far superior and his ahcieved far more.

Drogba has achieved more because of Chelsea, in all other respects they have parity.

EHD is of course 3 years younger.

You do talk rubbish sometimes Frosty

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on February 20, 2012, 02:07:28 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"Wild Rover\" post=221265
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221261

Drogba has achieved more because of Chelsea, in all other respects they have parity.

EHD is of course 3 years younger.

You do talk rubbish sometimes Frosty

And ask yourself why Diouf has never played at a club like Chelsea. And then look at Drogba's scoring record. Seriously. Comparing Drogba to Diouf is insane.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on February 20, 2012, 02:09:13 pm by Wild Rover »
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221264
Sharp for one.

But I was responding to the comment that he isn't the best EVER. I never once commented on the last 25 years.

NO FROSTY YOU WERE RESPONDING TO ME SAYING HE IS THE BEST EVER. You cant change to suit your agenda

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on February 20, 2012, 02:10:39 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"Wild Rover\" post=221268
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221264
Sharp for one.

NO FROSTY YOU WERE RESPONDING TO ME SAYING HE IS THE BEST EVER. You cant change to suit your agenda

And your a point is? Like I say, I was responding to the comment. Who made the comment doesn't really matter. Jesus. Have IQ levels suddenly dropped on here?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012