Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 10:36:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Questions / solutions for life in Div One  (Read 8752 times)

pubteam

Re: Questions / solutions for life in Div One
« Reply #30 on February 19, 2012, 04:59:40 pm by pubteam »
Quote from: \"donnyroversfc\" post=221010
Did someone on this thread really say McKay's plan as been a success?

We are BOTTOM of the league. McKays 'plan' was to keep us up this season and promotion/play-offs next season (his words).

John Ryan also said that if we were relegated this seasons the McKay plan was over. i EXPECT that to be the case!

We've lowered the wage bill considerably and we're still in with a chance of staying up.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on February 19, 2012, 05:02:49 pm by dickos1 »
Quote from: \"pubteam\" post=221013

We are BOTTOM of the league. McKays 'plan' was to keep us up this season and promotion/play-offs next season (his words).

John Ryan also said that if we were relegated this seasons the McKay plan was over. i EXPECT that to be the case!

We've lowered the wage bill considerably and we're still in with a chance of staying up.

Exactly, so far he's on course at being successful, signed quality players, reduced wage bill, if we stay up its a massive success

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on February 19, 2012, 05:04:18 pm by MrFrost »
And if we go down, the plan hasn't worked, and McKay will more than likely jump ship.

pubteam

« Reply #33 on February 19, 2012, 05:06:58 pm by pubteam »
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221017
And if we go down, the plan hasn't worked, and McKay will more than likely jump ship.

And that's why we can't really say whether it's a success or a failure yet. That will be decided at the end of the season.

Not sure where McKay will \"jump ship\" to though. He wasn't attached to a club before, so he'd just go back to the day job, wouldn't he?

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on February 19, 2012, 05:07:00 pm by donnyroversfc »

Beye and Diouf both signed contracts on more than the 2k we were paying them before. We sold our best player and only goalscorer which funds that.

The job of decreasing the wage bill by half was a 4yr job. McKay said himself what the aims were, and as of now we are failing which means its not been a success as of now has it!

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 19, 2012, 05:10:17 pm by donnyroversfc »
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221017

I really hope to god that he does!! According to a few Rovers fans though he wont be. Will be funny seeing the players he ends up signing for us. He wont care though seeing as though he's the only person involved that cant lose.

pubteam

« Reply #36 on February 19, 2012, 05:10:34 pm by pubteam »
Quote from: \"donnyroversfc\" post=221019

Beye and Diouf both signed contracts on more than the 2k we were paying them before. We sold our best player and only goalscorer which funds that.

The job of decreasing the wage bill by half was a 4yr job. McKay said himself what the aims were, and as of now we are failing which means its not been a success as of now has it!

See my post above. It's not a success OR a failure at this moment in time. That will be decided at the end of the season.

Plus, I think we probably have lowered the wage bill. Naylor, Wilson, Sharp, Parkin, Lalkovic, Mason etc have all departed.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on February 19, 2012, 05:12:06 pm by dickos1 »

The wage bill has been reduced significantly which is a fact, u can't argue it.
Pubteam has summed it up, we can't say if it's a success or not until may so it's a pointless conversation

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on February 19, 2012, 05:18:17 pm by donnyroversfc »
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=221023

The wage bill has been reduced significantly which is a fact, u can't argue it.
Pubteam has summed it up, we can't say if it's a success or not until may so it's a pointless conversation

Thats a fair enough comment,it shouldn't stop us commenting on it though imo. So far though it HASN'T been a success (which one poster said it has) and we do look likely to be relegated.

IF we're relegated i wonder if the club or McKay will admit that the plan as failed.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on February 19, 2012, 05:21:00 pm by dickos1 »
It's been successful with regards reducing the wage bill and attracting very good players, it's not successful currently due to our league position, but that can change and there's still a long way to go

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 19, 2012, 05:30:24 pm by Mr1Croft »
The wage bill isn't reduced significantly, how could it have gone down? We have had to pay something towards the wages of Chimbonda, Illunga, Goulon, Kirkland, Ikeme, Button, Diouf, Beye, Bamago, Bagayoko, Plessis and Robert on top of the wages already at the club. Beye and Diouf have also signed extensions. The money left by Sharps 10k/w being freed up and Wilson (who can't have been on more than 1.5k/w) has probably meant that the wage bill will still be slightly bigger than the original budget (SOD was given) at the end of the season.

However if we continue down this route then I am confident that we will significantly reduce the wage bill next year.

Also McKay only 'reportedly' said he was here to help reduce the wage bill in that Daily Mail interview which followed him taking legal action apparently, so the truth in him here to reduce the wage bill can be questioned.

All we know for sure is that he is here to help bring players to the club, and he has done so. Obviously considering when he had beaten Peterborough (only Chimbonda played of the Saunders/McKay players) we weren't in the relegation zone. Since then we have slumped back into the bottom three and we are rock bottom. Whether you consider this to be the fault of the original DRFC players or the new ones, either way this \"experiment\" has not been a sucess, but it hasn't been a failure yet.

When the experiment started (international break between Peterborough game and Leeds when Goulon, ilunga and Diouf (apparently only agreed to be) signed) we were on course to staying up, therefore unless we finish higher than 20th it can't be considered a success. Saunders will have succeeded in keeping us up, but on the evidence that we were out of the relegation zone when the experiment got under way the experiment hasn't improved us significantly enough. But it will prove enough for it to continue next season where we may have better luck.

If we go down John Ryan has said we will probably have to end the experiment and I tend to believe that, I think he has already worked miracles convincing them to play in the Championship, league one would be a nightmare to attract these players. If we are also continuing to look at players from McKay's contacts overseas then international clearance and work permit's will not be in our favour (and possibly the reason why we brought Plessis and Robert in now, just in case).

One thing it has done is shine us in the light of the media, it has put us as a talking point in football for the first time in many years and some even now consider us a \"big\" club becayse of the players we are attracting.

Either way we owe a lot to this experiment and hopefully we will stay up so it can continue but if it doesn't I would like to personally thank Willie for everything he has done. But fingers crossed it won't come to that :rtid:

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on February 19, 2012, 05:35:54 pm by donnyroversfc »
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=221026
It's been successful with regards reducing the wage bill and attracting very good players, it's not successful currently due to our league position, but that can change and there's still a long way to go

We could attract the best players in the world, if we go down it'll still have been a failure.

There's been a long way to go in the league for weeks now but we still find ourselves in 24th. Me and a few others at the beggining of january mentioned how signing lots of players wasn't reducing the wage bill and the majority said how it was a 4 year thing, now it has been reduced (by selling our best player) you're using that as an argument for you.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on February 19, 2012, 05:37:43 pm by dickos1 »
Sharp, Wilson, lalkovic, Parkin, mason, naylor, have all left since Saunders took over.

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on February 19, 2012, 05:49:05 pm by donnyroversfc »
And how many have joined? Diouf and Beye will be on nowhere near 2k now theyve signed on new deals.

pubteam

« Reply #44 on February 19, 2012, 05:53:47 pm by pubteam »
Quote from: \"Mr1Croft\" post=221029
The wage bill isn't reduced significantly, how could it have gone down? We have had to pay something towards the wages of Chimbonda, Illunga, Goulon, Kirkland, Ikeme, Button, Diouf, Beye, Bamago, Bagayoko, Plessis and Robert on top of the wages already at the club. Beye and Diouf have also signed extensions. The money left by Sharps 10k/w being freed up and Wilson (who can't have been on more than 1.5k/w) has probably meant that the wage bill will still be slightly bigger than the original budget (SOD was given) at the end of the season.

I very much doubt that the likes of Wilson were only on £1.5k p/w. I bet he was on more than that when he joined in 2006, and he's signed two or three contract renewals since then.

If players like Wilson were only being paid £1.5k p/w, then we'd never have got to the position of having a wage bill of £8m overall. That's part of the problem - people like Wilson and Lockwood are/were being paid much more than they are/were worth.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on February 19, 2012, 05:54:03 pm by dickos1 »
Diouf, bêye, plessis, Robert, Bagayoko, bamogo, button, chimbonda,
Plessis, Bagayoko, bamogo, Robert all on 2k
Button on nothing
Diouf, bêye, chimbonda, don't know but overall I think it will be a lot less. But we don't know

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on February 19, 2012, 05:55:57 pm by dickos1 »
We were paying a high percentage of Parkins, lalkovics and masons wages.
Wilson will have been on 5-6k a week

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on February 19, 2012, 07:48:00 pm by Mr1Croft »
Lets look at the maths;

£8,000,000/52 = £153,846 (weekly wage bill)

Now this covers the wages of all players and coaching team.

Currently we had 34 players in total under SOD this season and 7 members of staff who I would imagine are in that budget.

We knew Sharp was on 10k per week but the others are speculation. so £153,846 - £10,000 / 40 = average DRFC wage = £3,596

Since Sharp left after all these players arrived we cannot take his wages into account. The other 5 that left, considering the average wage brings the space freed up to £17,980 per week.

If Plessis, Robert, Bamogo and Bagayoko are on £2,000 per week then that brings the space taken up down to £9,980. If we assume that Diouf, Beye and Chimbonda are taking a modest £3k per week then so far the wage bill has come down to a grand total of £980 per week, which is  £50,960 over a year.

However if you take into account that most of the players that have been brought in were here before the all of the players that have gone left then it possibly balances it out, one would need access to the contracts to work it out fully.

However since Sharp has now left the wage bill has come down by £520,000 per year, but we won't see that decrease untill NEXT year, which is why I say if we continue we will see it decrease. Which means that at the end of the season we will have spent (based on averages)
£7714520 (half of the savings on Billy's wages and the other 5). Bringing the wage bill down by £285,480, which is a saving of £5490 per week this season.

Like I say, it hasn't come down significantly and John Ryan won't be celebrating anything yet, but if we continue it will soon come down next year.

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on February 19, 2012, 08:08:54 pm by esdailles left foot »
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=220946
How do you come to the conclusion the McKay experiment has been a great success??

took the words right out of my mouth

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 19, 2012, 08:27:39 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=221038
We were paying a high percentage of Parkins, lalkovics and masons wages.
Wilson will have been on 5-6k a week

:woot:

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on February 19, 2012, 08:31:02 pm by dickos1 »
Prove otherwise can we?? No thought not

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on February 19, 2012, 08:36:24 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=221081
Prove otherwise can we?? No thought not

Can you prove he was?
It was widely reported that Stock was on 5k a week when he signed his last contract. I somehow doubt Wilson was on anywhere near as much.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on February 19, 2012, 08:43:10 pm by wilts rover »
Quote from: \"Mr1Croft\" post=221064
Lets look at the maths;

£8,000,000/52 = £153,846 (weekly wage bill)

Now this covers the wages of all players and coaching team.

Currently we had 34 players in total under SOD this season and 7 members of staff who I would imagine are in that budget.

We knew Sharp was on 10k per week but the others are speculation. so £153,846 - £10,000 / 40 = average DRFC wage = £3,596

Since Sharp left after all these players arrived we cannot take his wages into account. The other 5 that left, considering the average wage brings the space freed up to £17,980 per week.

If Plessis, Robert, Bamogo and Bagayoko are on £2,000 per week then that brings the space taken up down to £9,980. If we assume that Diouf, Beye and Chimbonda are taking a modest £3k per week then so far the wage bill has come down to a grand total of £980 per week, which is  £50,960 over a year.

However if you take into account that most of the players that have been brought in were here before the all of the players that have gone left then it possibly balances it out, one would need access to the contracts to work it out fully.

However since Sharp has now left the wage bill has come down by £520,000 per year, but we won't see that decrease untill NEXT year, which is why I say if we continue we will see it decrease. Which means that at the end of the season we will have spent (based on averages)
£7714520 (half of the savings on Billy's wages and the other 5). Bringing the wage bill down by £285,480, which is a saving of £5490 per week this season.

Like I say, it hasn't come down significantly and John Ryan won't be celebrating anything yet, but if we continue it will soon come down next year.

Far too many IF's for any of that to make sense or be remotely trustworthy Mr Croft - you are in fact guessing, so rather than try and make it look scientific - just make something up.

One large IF you have missed out. IF as you say the wage budget covers players and coaching staff, you would expect O'Driscoll as a proven Championship manager with bonus payments after the Burnely & Sheff U debacles, to be on a much higher salary than Saunders as a conference manager - with corresponding savings. IF the number of posts about whoever the manager is and how important he is to the team and club are represented in the salary structure - I would have expected him to be one of the highest urners.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on February 19, 2012, 08:48:12 pm by dickos1 »
At the beginning of the season we had a wage bill of 8million. With as far as I can see 28 players,
This equates to the average weekly wage being 5500 a week. Sure sharp was on a lot more, but players such as Redford, bouhenna, baxendale would even that out. Therefore as a senior member of the squad Wilson would have been on at least the average wage of the rest of the squad.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on February 19, 2012, 08:51:24 pm by MrFrost »
The 8 million wasn't just for the playing staff, but for ALL DRFC staff. So from players down to programme sellers.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on February 19, 2012, 08:59:01 pm by dickos1 »
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221089
The 8 million wasn't just for the playing staff, but for ALL DRFC staff. So from players down to programme sellers.

Which is a presumption, the talk was of how we could reduce the player wage bill by getting these players through McKay in.
In any case even if it did mean everybody employed, the playing staff would still have an average wage of close to 5k. McKay stated in his interview when he joined that we have players on 7k a week and gates of 8000, which could never work.

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on February 19, 2012, 09:09:40 pm by johnny rovers »
Dickos 1, Did you manage to listen to john ryan the radio sheff the day it was announced that four of our directors had quit. He said that our projected loss for the year at the start of the season was going to be around 4 million. He then went on to say that loss now is forcast at around 6 million.

JR has been quoted of saying in the past that the cost of sacking the last managment team has cost the club around a 1 million pounds( some would be believe sacking a management team that hadn't yet failed, and  only six games into a season with such a financial burden as a consecquence wasn't the best move john ryan ever made):headbang:

So, that leaves the other million on the increased projected loss, my bet thats gone on wages due to having such a large squad of players.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on February 19, 2012, 09:13:02 pm by dickos1 »
I would hazard a gues that the extra loss is due to the gates being a lot less than the projected ones. The sale of sharp will have brought that back into line though, along with his wages.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on February 19, 2012, 09:20:32 pm by Jonathan »
Don't forget that Lalkovic and Parkin were funded by the loan striker appeal as we were not in a position to sign anyone at the time.

pubteam

« Reply #59 on February 19, 2012, 09:22:20 pm by pubteam »
Quote from: \"johnny rovers\" post=221093
Dickos 1, Did you manage to listen to john ryan the radio sheff the day it was announced that four of our directors had quit. He said that our projected loss for the year at the start of the season was going to be around 4 million. He then went on to say that loss now is forcast at around 6 million.

JR has been quoted of saying in the past that the cost of sacking the last managment team has cost the club around a 1 million pounds( some would be believe sacking a management team that hadn't yet failed, and  only six games into a season with such a financial burden as a consecquence wasn't the best move john ryan ever made) :headbang:

So, that leaves the other million on the increased projected loss, my bet thats gone on wages due to having such a large squad of players.

But if you factor in that the previous management team (seemingly) weren't willing to back the club's plans to cut the wage budget, then there's only one way they could go really.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012