Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 06:49:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Car engine re-mapping  (Read 1454 times)

grayx

• Forum Member
Car engine re-mapping
« on February 20, 2012, 09:39:44 pm by grayx »
Has anybody got experience of the above,good or bad, & any recommendations of where to get it done?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Car engine re-mapping
« Reply #1 on February 20, 2012, 09:51:55 pm by Filo »
You`ll only get another 20-30 Bhp on a remap and it`s usually not cheap

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 21, 2012, 09:46:33 am by ditch_drfc »
Agreed with Filo. But it depends what car you've got, for if it's worth it or not. What car have you got?

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 21, 2012, 09:50:42 am by grayx »
Quote from: \"ditch_drfc\" post=221390
Agreed with Filo. But it depends what car you've got, for if it's worth it or not. What car have you got?

Seat Leon 1.9 tdi 2008. I'm concerned over rumours that having a re-map can cause clutch & turbo problems.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 21, 2012, 10:36:29 am by ditch_drfc »
To be honest I think the pros of remapping the tdi are outweighed by the cons. You may get extra bhp and torque, better acceleration etc. But with that extra torque you'll get clutch slip, which will no doubt in the future mean you'll need a new clutch.

Also if you're think about tuning boxes instead, it's said that a while after it's been installed it tends to give black smoke from the exhaust. I mean you get that with a lot of Diesels, but many people say it increases after they have had their tuning box installed.

Hopefully it will help you decide. But if it was me, and i was faced with a new clutch in a couple of years, then i wouldn't bother. Simply because that's a few hundred quid down the drain. But everyone is different, so if you really want it, then go for it, because that little bit of extra bhp will be noticeable.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 21, 2012, 10:44:46 am by grayx »
Thanks for the advice, still considering it, but clutch is a definite worry as the car has quite high mileage already (85k).

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 21, 2012, 10:49:52 am by Filo »
Consider also, that there will be extra load and stresses on all the components, sensors etc. not to mention the turbo, which will get hotter and most people know that a turbo failure is expensive. Like ditch_drfc says, it`s up to you in the long run, personally after shelling out a couple of hundred quid getting a re-map, I`d be a bit pissed off 18 months down the line if I had to shell out for a new turbo or clutch!

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 21, 2012, 11:29:41 am by ditch_drfc »
At 85k it's likely that the extra strain the remap will put on the turbo and clutch will make it go pretty soon. I'd strongly consider not getting it.

No worries anyway

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 23, 2012, 11:35:53 pm by auckleyflyer »
If its a cheap one it just doubles the fuel pump pressure! this gives instant power gains but stresses pump, fuel lines and injectors. Vag engine's up to it tho,
Other way is more subtle than a more fuel at all times.

Iv had both, the cheap gave huge instant off idle thrust.
The 2nd i dont notice untill i look what gear/speed im doing.
Get the best you can afford and it is worth it !!
Iv also removed erg Vv and D particulate filter.
Running @185 on a 1.9 zafira. No noticable knock in fuel usage either.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 24, 2012, 04:14:26 pm by Superspy »
In my opinon, even at 85k, if nothing more than a remap is enough to give you clutch slip then your clutch is probably on it's way out anyway - either that or VAG don't make their cars as reliable as I thought they did. TDI engines are the best of the bunch when it comes to getting a reasonable gain from a remap. Personally on an engine like yours I'd use a Bluefin as they have a tried and tested map built into them but it depends on what your budget is.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 24, 2012, 07:06:35 pm by grayx »
Aaaaaarrrrrggggh.

Thanks for all your advice guys,but more undecided than ever.
I miss the 130bhp that my previous Leon had,but don't want to spend £270 (motortek,wheatley hall rd)
quoted, & cause other problems. Gonna mull it over a while longer,other recommendations welcome though.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 24, 2012, 07:21:04 pm by Red wizard »
What could i do to get my golf gt-tdi to go a bit better? A chip or re-map? don't know what i am on about with that sort of stuff. What sort of money are you looking at to do this kind of stuff? and do you use more fuel?

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 25, 2012, 09:47:33 am by Superspy »
If you're doing other mods then a live map is usually the way to go. This is where they put your car on a rolling road and tune it live to get the best out of it. If no other mods are being done then something like a Bluefin that I mentioned before is a good option because they are tried and tested as a standalone mod. Whether they are value for money or not is down to your perspective, normally costing about £500.

Fuel usage will depending on how aggressive the map is and how heavy your right foot is, but it has been known in the past that a good map can improve fuel economy.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012