Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 07:09:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Mods locking threads.  (Read 13489 times)

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
Re: Mods locking threads.
« Reply #30 on February 22, 2012, 08:03:12 pm by The L J Monk »
Quote from: \"Filo\" post=221680
Just for clarification the last legal spat was for comments made on this forum`s predecessor and not on the now defunct other place

For clarification

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on February 22, 2012, 08:04:44 pm by DonnyRTID »
Can you lock this thread too?

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on February 22, 2012, 08:07:44 pm by Mr1Croft »
Quote from: \"Chris\" post=221676
Quote from: \"Mr1Croft\" post=221666
The Viking Chat moderation team is made up of VSC directors and VSC members who have volunteered their own time to help maintain the smooth running of this website.

The VSC does not exist as a supporters type club, we are a co-operative that is registered as an Industrial and Provident Society under the Financial Services Authority and we are also a member of Supporters Direct which was originally Government funded to support fan influence and fan ownership of Football clubs.

Under the rules provided by Supporters Direct (from the Model Rules) we are bound by our own legislation to be accessible by all, and a democratic organisation that provides members 1 share and one vote in our society. Another rule is that our objective is to be a representative voice of the supporters of the Club and strengthening the bonds between the Club and the Community which it serves. Therefore the VSC does not deny any supporter the right to speak their opinions of the club, and also of the society.

As Viking Chat is a service provided by the VSC, we implement these rules which is why we do not deny non-members the chance to use the forum and voice their concerns. However all users of this forum (whether members or non-members) make an bonded agreement with Viking Chat of the terms and conditions, by doing so you agree to our rules of this website. The poster in question failed to abide by these rules and his right to be a member became void under our \"3 strike policy\".

This was not an incident that was dealt with by one individual, it was discussed between all directors and a decision was reached. The subsequent thread was locked because the moderators have spent some time discussing this issue, and discussions were ongoing between the poster and the moderators via PM, under the sites rules the moderators cannot state what was said privately between a user and a moderator. The post was locked because it was leading to fellow users scrutinizing the VSC and putting the VSC in a position where it cannot defend itself due to the 'evidence' of defense being a private discussion where we are not in a position to reveal what was said. We therefore felt that because we cannot answer the questions specifically that were going to arise about the VSC, it would be a waste of your own time to ask them.

Should any of you have any further concerns about Viking Chat please PM a moderator, or locate the VSC Director's email addresses in the 'contact us' link under the information bar located on the left of your screen.

Regards

Lee,

Would you be writing all that if they hadn't added an admin badge to your profile? You certainly won't be arranging any protests now, will you?!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on February 22, 2012, 08:09:09 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"The L J Monk\" post=221681
Quote from: \"Filo\" post=221680
Just for clarification the last legal spat was for comments made on this forum`s predecessor and not on the now defunct other place

For clarification

Thank you, I know what i`m on about ;)

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on February 22, 2012, 08:41:30 pm by BobG »
Well, after one of the worst days I can remember, mostly spent either sitting around in Gloucester Hospital or mopping up copious amounts of sick, at least this thread has brought a smile to my face. Thanks chaps. :)

I'll venture just a few short thoughts:

1) Without rules there is anarchy. Anarchy, despite its attractions, is a destructive force. So, mods have every right, and indeed the duty, of enforcing whatever rules we have - whether we like those rules or not. So, if Frosty broke them, he has to pay the price.

2) When clubs are in trouble, as ours obviously is, supporters tend to lose their sense of proportion, their sense of reality, their sense of justice. The end result of that lot is always, always, always, spats, arguments and raised emotions. Hence, people fall out with each other, and, people say things they should not.

3) Frosty, despite his occasional shafts of insight, has consistently, and persistently, been an obnoxious, argumentative and destructive force. It is not difficult to put across an unpopular view, a strongly disagreeing view, a critical view, without provoking the reactions that Frosty has done so consistently. He has brought it upon himself. A few moments thought before hitting the keys would have allowed his arguments to be put without creating the animosity which quite a feew on here feel for him. He's peed me off enough I know. The chap has brains. He has insight sometimes. He has the right to challenge. But he's always so damn offensive about it that hardly any bugger listened. Throwing his toys out with fellow supporters, threatening legal action, just like Wroey, is a measure of the man. Sad as it is, he will be no loss.

If you want to see how to challenge current orthodoxies, look up BST. He's master of the art.

Cheers

BobG

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 22, 2012, 08:56:25 pm by redwine »
Quote from: \"BobG\" post=221694
Well, after one of the worst days I can remember, mostly spent either sitting around in Gloucester Hospital or mopping up copious amounts of sick, at least this thread has brought a smile to my face. Thanks chaps. :)

I'll venture just a few short thoughts:

1) Without rules there is anarchy. Anarchy, despite its attractions, is a destructive force. So, mods have every right, and indeed the duty, of enforcing whatever rules we have - whether we like those rules or not. So, if Frosty broke them, he has to pay the price.

2) When clubs are in trouble, as ours obviously is, supporters tend to lose their sense of proportion, their sense of reality, their sense of justice. The end result of that lot is always, always, always, spats, arguments and raised emotions. Hence, people fall out with each other, and, people say things they should not.

3) Frosty, despite his occasional shafts of insight, has consistently, and persistently, been an obnoxious, argumentative and destructive force. It is not difficult to put across an unpopular view, a strongly disagreeing view, a critical view, without provoking the reactions that Frosty has done so consistently. He has brought it upon himself. A few moments thought before hitting the keys would have allowed his arguments to be put without creating the animosity which quite a feew on here feel for him. He's peed me off enough I know. The chap has brains. He has insight sometimes. He has the right to challenge. But he's always so damn offensive about it that hardly any bugger listened. Throwing his toys out with fellow supporters, threatening legal action, just like Wroey, is a measure of the man. Sad as it is, he will be no loss.

If you want to see how to challenge current orthodoxies, look up BST. He's master of the art.

Cheers

BobG

Post of the millenium IMHO

Cheers Bob, the voice of sanity

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on February 22, 2012, 09:02:11 pm by BobG »
Lol! Thank you Redwine!!! Really has been a shite day here today. You too have cheered me up a bit. Thank you!

BobG

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on February 22, 2012, 10:49:23 pm by RobTheRover »
Thank you for that summation, Bob.

I find comparisons of our barely perceptable moderation and what YAURS decended into towards the end quite laughable.  Like its either black or white - no moderation or full censorship.  We do nothing like that, and never will, but we will react to threats against us personally, the site, or the organisation, as it all paints the VSC in a bad light, whether true or not.  As we've seen in other threads over the years, the truth is incidental to what people believe.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on February 23, 2012, 12:10:59 am by jonnydog »
[attachment=1033]ball.jpg[/attachment]

neil grainger

« Reply #39 on February 23, 2012, 01:17:41 pm by neil grainger »
Quote from: \"Mr1Croft\" post=221672
Quote from: \"Bentley Bullet\" post=221669
Just as a matter of interest, how many Mods do we have on the forum?

The VSC Directors (labelled Administrators or Admin) are: Gartom, Berkshire Rovers, Silent_Majority, RobtheRover, bobjimwilly, Glyn_Wigley, NathanDRFC DonnyBazRovers, Mr1Croft.

(

You are actually a Director of the VSC?

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 23, 2012, 01:20:46 pm by Mr1Croft »
Quote from: \"neil grainger\" post=221812

The VSC Directors (labelled Administrators or Admin) are: Gartom, Berkshire Rovers, Silent_Majority, RobtheRover, bobjimwilly, Glyn_Wigley, NathanDRFC DonnyBazRovers, Mr1Croft.

(

New VSC Board Members

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on February 23, 2012, 01:25:36 pm by Berkshire Rover »
Quote from: \"neil grainger\" post=221812

(

Neil, in between AGM's the VSC Board can co-opt Directors to join them, the numbers of such co-opted members is limited and their appointment has to be endorsed by members at the subsequent AGM. Lee and Barry fall into this category.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 23, 2012, 03:37:14 pm by ditch_drfc »
Quote from: \"Mr1Croft\" post=221666
The Viking Chat moderation team is made up of VSC directors and VSC members who have volunteered their own time to help maintain the smooth running of this website.

The VSC does not exist as a supporters type club, we are a co-operative that is registered as an Industrial and Provident Society under the Financial Services Authority and we are also a member of Supporters Direct which was originally Government funded to support fan influence and fan ownership of Football clubs.

Under the rules provided by Supporters Direct (from the Model Rules) we are bound by our own legislation to be accessible by all, and a democratic organisation that provides members 1 share and one vote in our society. Another rule is that our objective is to be a representative voice of the supporters of the Club and strengthening the bonds between the Club and the Community which it serves. Therefore the VSC does not deny any supporter the right to speak their opinions of the club, and also of the society.

As Viking Chat is a service provided by the VSC, we implement these rules which is why we do not deny non-members the chance to use the forum and voice their concerns. However all users of this forum (whether members or non-members) make an bonded agreement with Viking Chat of the terms and conditions, by doing so you agree to our rules of this website. The poster in question failed to abide by these rules and his right to be a member became void under our \"3 strike policy\".

This was not an incident that was dealt with by one individual, it was discussed between all directors and a decision was reached. The subsequent thread was locked because the moderators have spent some time discussing this issue, and discussions were ongoing between the poster and the moderators via PM, under the sites rules the moderators cannot state what was said privately between a user and a moderator. The post was locked because it was leading to fellow users scrutinizing the VSC and putting the VSC in a position where it cannot defend itself due to the 'evidence' of defense being a private discussion where we are not in a position to reveal what was said. We therefore felt that because we cannot answer the questions specifically that were going to arise about the VSC, it would be a waste of your own time to ask them.

Should any of you have any further concerns about Viking Chat please PM a moderator, or locate the VSC Director's email addresses in the 'contact us' link under the information bar located on the left of your screen.

Regards

Lee,

wow cheers crofty. . . !

drfcdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on February 23, 2012, 04:05:56 pm by drfcdrfc »
Thank god this has caused TWD to f**k off, absolute bore of a tory t**t.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on February 23, 2012, 04:23:17 pm by coventryrover »
Quote from: \"drfcdrfc\" post=221848
Thank god this has caused TWD to fcuk off, absolute bore of a tory t**t.

IS there any need???????

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on February 23, 2012, 04:29:10 pm by jucyberry »
Exactly, we seem to be hemorrhaging posters faster than a burst blood bag, soon the way it's going there will be less posters than there are admin...

ScillyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on February 23, 2012, 04:57:29 pm by ScillyRover »

And who can blame him for not bothering with comments like that becoming widespread on here.

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on February 23, 2012, 05:24:36 pm by redwine »
how do you get to be on the board of the Vsc.

Is there any truth in the rumour you had to petition them, crofty

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on February 23, 2012, 05:35:32 pm by Alickismyhero »
Crofty,
Obviously the main part of this dispute was by PM. I may be wrong, because of the lack of information, but Frosty was made a \"liar\" by  VSC in no uncertain terms. Now if the VSC is confident of its ground there is no fear of any legal action, if not, it should not have called him a liar.
Surely Frosty has the right to appeal this decision if its not in the constitution then it should be. VSC is acting as judge and jury in this case and it doesn't sound right to me.
I have been criticised by a member of VSC in the past for having a distorted(my word not his) view of democracy I would be interested in your opinion as I know you are not frightened to rock the boat.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 23, 2012, 05:52:52 pm by Mr1Croft »
Quote from: \"Alickismyhero\" post=221864
Crofty,
Obviously the main part of this dispute was by PM. I may be wrong, because of the lack of information, but Frosty was made a \"liar\" by  VSC in no uncertain terms. Now if the VSC is confident of its ground there is no fear of any legal action, if not, it should not have called him a liar.
Surely Frosty has the right to appeal this decision if its not in the constitution then it should be. VSC is acting as judge and jury in this case and it doesn't sound right to me.
I have been criticised by a member of VSC in the past for having a distorted(my word not his) view of democracy I would be interested in your opinion as I know you are not frightened to rock the boat.

Alickismyhero,

Firstly the user approached a director of the VSC by PM, that is all I am going to say in terms of the PM's I will not reveal anything on the content. After discussing it among moderators and directors the VSC came to it's decision after it was decided that the user had indeed violated the 3 strike policy.

As for the \"liar\" issue I was not on the Society Board to back up what either the user or the moderator were claiming was truth and lie and therefore I cannot comment on this, and until I am proved otherwise I will defend the actions of my fellow Director.

The VSC does have a Constitution, but the VSC and Viking Chat are not one and the same. Viking Chat is a service provided by the VSC with very few rules. The user was not a VSC member either so he didn't have the right to implement any part of the Constitution to their situation, as only a Viking Chat member. Therefore we do not implement a \"right to appeal\" but PERSONALLY I think that this is something we may need to look at in the future.

Cheers

Lee,

P.S Anyone who believes in a democracies existence has a distorted view in my opinion ;)

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on February 23, 2012, 06:18:40 pm by Alickismyhero »
Crofty,

A good reply and perhaps the VSC member calling Frosty a liar would have been better placed had he taken a similar approach.

It seems, on the surface, poorly handled and the credibility of the VSC site will be brought in to question in the areas of censorship and democracy.

When it comes to democracy I am equal and opposite to your stated view.

Poacher turned gamekeeper springs to mind.

drfcdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on February 23, 2012, 06:35:58 pm by drfcdrfc »
Quote from: \"coventryrover\" post=221850

IS there any need???????

Every need.

drfcdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on February 23, 2012, 06:36:49 pm by drfcdrfc »
Quote from: \"ScillyRover\" post=221857

And who can blame him for not bothering with comments like that becoming widespread on here.

Are you suggesting comments like that are more common than on the old site? The legendary old site.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on February 23, 2012, 06:38:15 pm by Mr1Croft »
Tbh Alick the democracy comment was tongue in cheek and it was not implied in any way to the running of the VSC, in all honesty democracy doesn't really exist in any part of the world, not absolute democracy anyway.

The VSC is democratic in that it gives each member 1 share and 1 vote and we will listen to what ever member says but we cannot please everyone. We have to act in the interest of the majority of members, we are a registered Industrial and Provident Society regulated by the FSA, we have our own set of rules that we are bound by. Because this is only a service of the VSC we created our own rules precisely foe this forum and we must abide by them.

The VSC regrets that it was forced to make a decision, but we do not regret the decision made.

Ten Mile Banker

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on February 23, 2012, 07:12:54 pm by Ten Mile Banker »
The thing that I find most comical out of all this, is that crofty has somehow become a member of the board! :ohmy:

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on February 23, 2012, 07:16:44 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
Quote from: \"Ten Mile Banker\" post=221897
The thing that I find most comical out of all this, is that crofty has somehow become a member of the board! :ohmy:

It's part of the \"divide and conquer\" strategy.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on February 23, 2012, 07:22:45 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Croft's promotion to board member status is surely linked to his fondness for wearing suits.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on February 23, 2012, 07:24:07 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

I'm sure you can think of many in history who have seen the light !

Lee, like myself, have been on both 'sides' (although there are no sides)and has recently seen more of how the VSC operates this forum and how fair people are treated. Of course in any unfortunate episode there is a right of appeal however, when that right is declined then sanctions are made as a last resort.

keepmoatman

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on February 23, 2012, 07:28:39 pm by keepmoatman »
Quote from: \"DonnyBazR0ver\" post=221907

I'm sure you can think of many in history who have seen the light !

Lee, like myself, have been on both 'sides' (although there are no sides)and has recently seen more of how the VSC operates this forum and how fair people are treated. Of course in any unfortunate episode there is a right of appeal however, when that right is declined then sanctions are made as a last resort.

wtf ?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on February 23, 2012, 07:36:17 pm by Filo »
I think it`s time to move on from this episode, plenty of posters have had their say and I think the Forum admin team can probably learn something from this. The top and bottom line is that any forum has to have administrators and moderators, sometimes (although very rarely on here) decisions are made that may not be popular, posters have to respect those decisions whether they agree are not, without that respect there`s no point in having administrators or moderators, and without those there is no forum. Do we want that? All we ask is respect everyone, posters and admin alike and sometimes accept that some one elses point of view is different from your own

TinyPortal © 2005-2012