Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 12:01:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: It ain't over 'til it's over. And we have history  (Read 3825 times)

Wokingviking

• VSC Member
It ain't over 'til it's over. And we have history
« on April 07, 2012, 10:08:44 pm by Wokingviking »
With all due respect to BST's scientific analysis, I'm going for sentimentality here...

1974/75: Maurice Setters sacked, John Quigley appointed as player/caretaker, then Stan Anderson appointed when we are bottom (or thereabouts) of the Fourth Division. Then:

WE WIN FIVE ON THE TROT and eventually avoid having to apply for re-election.

It ain't over 'til it's over.

Support.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
Re: It ain't over 'til it's over. And we have history
« Reply #1 on April 07, 2012, 10:12:09 pm by Dagenham Rover »
I agree untill its confirmed its not over. you never know,   Maurice Setters and co back to my teenage years :unsure:

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 08, 2012, 06:58:08 pm by The Red Baron »
With all due respect to BST's scientific analysis, I'm going for sentimentality here...

1974/75: Maurice Setters sacked, John Quigley appointed as player/caretaker, then Stan Anderson appointed when we are bottom (or thereabouts) of the Fourth Division. Then:

WE WIN FIVE ON THE TROT and eventually avoid having to apply for re-election.

It ain't over 'til it's over.

Support.

Oh. for Stan Anderson instead of Saunders!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 08, 2012, 07:11:03 pm by RobTheRover »
To be honest, I'd take Dave Cusack!  ;)

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 08, 2012, 07:14:31 pm by donnyroversfc »
It aint over until 'donnyroversfc' says so, and tbf i said it was over months ago... We'll piss league 1 next season if we employ Paul Tisdale.

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 08, 2012, 07:32:29 pm by SkellowRover »
It aint over until 'donnyroversfc' says so, and tbf i said it was over months ago... We'll piss league 1 next season if we employ Paul Tisdale.

Yeah he's doing a great job at Exeter and their fans want shut of him.

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 08, 2012, 07:35:16 pm by donnyroversfc »

Alot of our fans wanted shut of O'Driscoll, doesn't make him a bad manager.

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 08, 2012, 07:58:01 pm by SkellowRover »

A good manager adapts and will try changing a few things in order to get a result, i admired SoD and when things we're going smoothly he was in his element shone, but his stubborness in not wanting to change or having a plan B when it got tough was his downfall and NOT the sign of a good manager. In the end he cracked under the pressure and couldn't see a way of getting out of the mess we were in, that's why he was sacked.
As for Tisdale, "tries to play pretty football but tactically clueless at L1 level" is the general concensus at St James' according to my Exeter supporting cousin.

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 08, 2012, 08:03:54 pm by donnyroversfc »

A good manager adapts and will try changing a few things in order to get a result, i admired SoD and when things we're going smoothly he was in his element shone, but his stubborness in not wanting to change or having a plan B when it got tough was his downfall and NOT the sign of a good manager. In the end he cracked under the pressure and couldn't see a way of getting out of the mess we were in, that's why he was sacked.
As for Tisdale, "tries to play pretty football but tactically clueless at L1 level" is the general concensus at St James' according to my Exeter supporting cousin.

Lets be honest, how many Rovers fans have said SO'D was clueless in his time here? He still did well... We'd have gone down this season whoever was in charge, it was up to the club to either stick with SO'D to get us back up or employ someone else who's capable of doing that (Dean Saunders LOL).

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 08, 2012, 08:11:02 pm by BigH »
Well this time tomorrow we'll know. We could be 1 point away from being mathematically down if we lose and Bristol City win.

So, arguably, tomorrow is the most important game for the last four years. The last time we faced such an important game, against Leeds, this was the team:

Sullivan
O'Connor
Hird
Mills
Roberts
Green
Stock
Wellens
Coppinger
Hayter
Price

What we'd give for Mills, Roberts, Green and Wellens now. Even Pricey who always had a goal in him (to use a Saundersism).

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 08, 2012, 08:30:02 pm by donnyroversfc »
Well this time tomorrow we'll know. We could be 1 point away from being mathematically down if we lose and Bristol City win.

So, arguably, tomorrow is the most important game for the last four years. The last time we faced such an important game, against Leeds, this was the team:

Sullivan
O'Connor
Hird
Mills
Roberts
Green
Stock
Wellens
Coppinger
Hayter
Price

What we'd give for Mills, Roberts, Green and Wellens now. Even Pricey who always had a goal in him (to use a Saundersism).

That is a miles better team than we have now... (Take note Mr McKay, (Bamogo lol). You're about as good a 'transfer consultant' as i am).

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 08, 2012, 08:37:35 pm by BigH »
In the last 10 games we've scored 8 goals and Deano has used 8 forwards:

Diouf
Piquionne
Coppinger
Brown
Bennett
Robert
Hayter
Bagayoko

Three - Diouf, Piquionne and Coppinger - have been regulars and have scored 4 between them (one from Diouf was a penalty). The others - perhaps excluding Bennett who is carrying an injury - have struggled for game time.

If there's one single reason why we're in the position we're in surely it's this...the sale of Billy Sharp.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 08, 2012, 08:38:51 pm by Mr1Croft »

Diouf
Piquionne
Coppinger
Brown
Bennett
Robert
Hayter
Bagayoko

Three - Diouf, Piquionne and Coppinger - have been regulars and have scored 4 between them (one from Diouf was a penalty). The others - perhaps excluding Bennett who is carrying an injury - have struggled for game time.

If there's one single reason why we're in the position we're in surely it's this...the sale of Billy Sharp.

While I am of the opinion that there is enough talent to get us out of this mess, I do agree that the sale of Sharp was always going to make it 10 times harder...

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 08, 2012, 08:44:04 pm by donnyroversfc »

Diouf
Piquionne
Coppinger
Brown
Bennett
Robert
Hayter
Bagayoko

While I am of the opinion that there is enough talent to get us out of this mess, I do agree that the sale of Sharp was always going to make it 10 times harder...

Sharp was alway going to go. REPLACING him is what we failed to do... But then why would you replace your only goalscorer if you could sign a big(ish) name instead (even though he is lazy and useless)?

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 08, 2012, 08:53:08 pm by BigH »
Sorry you miss my point. Sharp didn't need to go in the January window. The club could have held out until the close season - believe me they could. But instead they bottled it, thought we had enough firepower from within and access to enough from elsewhere. Ok BS might have got injured again but the level of deluded thinking that we could get by on what we had and/or replace one of the top 3 strikers in the Championship just beggars belief.

pubteam

« Reply #15 on April 08, 2012, 09:21:27 pm by pubteam »
Sorry you miss my point. Sharp didn't need to go in the January window. The club could have held out until the close season - believe me they could. But instead they bottled it, thought we had enough firepower from within and access to enough from elsewhere. Ok BS might have got injured again but the level of deluded thinking that we could get by on what we had and/or replace one of the top 3 strikers in the Championship just beggars belief.

Even though there was a buy out clause in BS's contract meaning the club couldn't turn down Southampton's offer once they hit the clause?

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 08, 2012, 10:40:16 pm by BigH »
The buy out clause was in DRFC's favour. Sharp was sold.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 09, 2012, 08:55:12 am by dickos1 »
Nothing we could have done, Southampton made the necessary bid as did Leicester. Then it was down to sharp.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 09, 2012, 09:04:50 am by The Red Baron »
To be honest, I'd take Dave Cusack!  ;)

I was never a great fan of Cusack's but at least he'd make us hard to beat. Although his stock did rise after he was fired and they appointed that pair of buffoons Mackay and Kinnear. (That's Dave, not Willie, for our younger readers!)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012