Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 08:58:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Waterlogged pitch?  (Read 7951 times)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
Waterlogged pitch?
« on April 26, 2012, 10:23:30 am by MrFrost »
What chance for this on Saturday? Rain is still belting down and is expected to continue over the next few days.

Looking at the river levels this morning, I wouldn't bet against flooding again like in 2007. Hope not though.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
Re: Waterlogged pitch?
« Reply #1 on April 26, 2012, 10:48:28 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
Have we ever had a game at the Keepmoat called off because of a waterlogged pitch??

Personally i'd be surprised

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 26, 2012, 11:07:21 am by jonnydog »
Me too... although I'm expecting a very messy and muddy end to our championship!!

BRING ON THE MUD PUDDLES!!!!

Joking aside, this rain is serious, my pond is high and the Carp are getting a bit cocky and coming up into the shallow end!! ;)

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 26, 2012, 11:26:00 am by Thinwhiteduke »

Looking at the river levels this morning, I wouldn't bet against flooding again like in 2007. Hope not though.

As someome who works in flood risk, mitigation, and recovery - rest assured this rain pattern bares no similarity to that of 2007....the risk to Doncaster is absolute minimum, and the ground is acting like a huge sponge at the moment due to the unseasonably dry weather.,

A key indicator in rain is how reservoirs are replenishing during rainfall. They are not significantly refilling at the moment as the land is still absorbing the majority of the rainfall in most areas.

Also remember that a huge contributing factor in the 2007 floods in Doncaste  was the catastrophic failure of Ea Beck and how its overflow surcharged and overloaded many miles of smaller watercourses. Thats why there was a certain futility in Fire Brigades Pumping Water round in circles and Councils frantically trying to clear Highway Gullies which could not discharge anyway. The Environment Agency have gone to considerable expense strengthening flood defences to certain points along Ea Beck.

But, back on point, I dont think The Keepmoat pitch will be a problem come saturdayy.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 26, 2012, 11:33:22 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
COYR Lets go out with a bang

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 26, 2012, 11:40:10 am by jonnydog »
... or a splash!!

Or a brown splash, as endorsed by cussy  ;)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 26, 2012, 12:01:01 pm by MrFrost »

As someome who works in flood risk, mitigation, and recovery - rest assured this rain pattern bares no similarity to that of 2007....the risk to Doncaster is absolute minimum, and the ground is acting like a huge sponge at the moment due to the unseasonably dry weather.,

A key indicator in rain is how reservoirs are replenishing during rainfall. They are not significantly refilling at the moment as the land is still absorbing the majority of the rainfall in most areas.

Also remember that a huge contributing factor in the 2007 floods in Doncaste  was the catastrophic failure of Ea Beck and how its overflow surcharged and overloaded many miles of smaller watercourses. Thats why there was a certain futility in Fire Brigades Pumping Water round in circles and Councils frantically trying to clear Highway Gullies which could not discharge anyway. The Environment Agency have gone to considerable expense strengthening flood defences to certain points along Ea Beck.

But, back on point, I dont think The Keepmoat pitch will be a problem come saturdayy.

Ok, some relief then.
My mum lives right by the River Don at the back of the Boat Inn, and they are on an urgent flood warning there.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 26, 2012, 12:05:32 pm by jonnydog »
Isn't it a barn at the back of the Boat Inn  ;)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 26, 2012, 12:21:11 pm by Filo »

This giant sponge does n`t seem to be soaking up much at the moment in my back garden, it`s just lying on the surface

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 26, 2012, 01:31:33 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Yeah, when I studied it I always thought rain after a period of dry weather increased run off, saturation by fauna and didn't vastly improve the water table?

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 26, 2012, 01:35:55 pm by Thinwhiteduke »

Ok, some relief then.
My mum lives right by the River Don at the back of the Boat Inn, and they are on an urgent flood warning there.

Its flood alert....keep you eyes peeled here.....

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/34678.aspx?page=1&type=Town&term=doncaster

If it changes to 'Flood Warning' think about mitigation (sandbags etc etc).

If it changes to 'Severe Flood Warning' consider bunking up with relatives on higher ground!

This giant sponge does n`t seem to be soaking up much at the moment in my back garden, it`s just lying on the surface

Well....its not a catch all statement....my back garden is waterlogged as well.

However, Reservoirs are not registering a notable increase in volume/ level as yet, and certainly not aproaching overflow levels - and, at the end of the day, they are placed in ideal places to capture maixmum rainfall.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 26, 2012, 03:38:25 pm by Viking Don »
Don't know how much rain has fallen upstream but I just drove over the Don and it's pretty close to bursting.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 26, 2012, 03:48:18 pm by jonnydog »
 Where abouts did you go over it VD?

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 26, 2012, 04:42:41 pm by Viking Don »
In town, I'd be a bit worried if I lived in those streets near there! Get those sandbags out! Haven't seen it that high for ages.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 26, 2012, 05:27:09 pm by Filo »
Don't know how much rain has fallen upstream but I just drove over the Don and it's pretty close to bursting.

I`ve just been over it at Barnby Dun and it`s well high there

vietaff

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 26, 2012, 05:44:45 pm by vietaff »
What chance for this on Saturday? Rain is still belting down and is expected to continue over the next few days.

I had a Training Day through work at the KM today and the pitch in the corners, especially South/East side is waterlogged, i put a pic up on FB but not sure how to do it on here....i was there most of the day and didnt see anyone tending the pitch so not sure what method they will use to drain away the excess water.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 26, 2012, 06:07:06 pm by 5minstogo »
Quite high on the old North Bridge too.

Donnylass

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 26, 2012, 06:19:03 pm by Donnylass »

I`ve just been over it at Barnby Dun and it`s well high there

I went past the the towers at Barnby Dun just after 5 and it's completely flooded right up near to level of the road. Where did all those poor cows go? I hope someone has moved them  :unsure:

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 26, 2012, 06:35:46 pm by Donnywolf »
Have we ever had a game at the Keepmoat called off because of a waterlogged pitch??

Personally i'd be surprised

A) That the Ipswich game will be called off OR

B) That we have had a game called off at KMS due to waterlogged pitch

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 26, 2012, 06:54:01 pm by Pintolager »
It's just been reported on Look North that the Don has burst it's banks at Sprotbrough.

Now I am starting to get worried!

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 26, 2012, 08:09:12 pm by grayx »

Ok, some relief then.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/34678.aspx?page=1&type=Town&term=doncaster

If it changes to 'Severe Flood Warning' consider bunking up with relatives on higher ground!

However, Reservoirs are not registering a notable increase in volume/ level as yet, and certainly not aproaching overflow levels - and, at the end of the day, they are placed in ideal places to capture maixmum rainfall.

Ok, some relief then.

You sure they're in the right place? Could do with one in my garage at moment.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 26, 2012, 08:39:15 pm by MrFrost »
Doesn't look good for my mum if the rain continues. This is what happens when you choose to live 40 yards from a river!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on April 26, 2012, 09:28:50 pm by Donnywolf »
Not if the house is 40 yards above the river   :coat:

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 26, 2012, 09:32:03 pm by Nudga »
Not if the house is 40 yards above the river   :coat:

i was actually thinking the same, I can't think of any houses on the same level as The Boat Inn.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 26, 2012, 09:38:36 pm by MrFrost »
There's a row of cottages at the back of the Boat Inn.

GM-MarkB

« Reply #25 on April 26, 2012, 09:40:51 pm by GM-MarkB »
I was working down at CVA on Carr Hill yesterday and today. They had a Plant Equipment auction yesterday...they'd have been better off selling canoes  :facepalm:

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 26, 2012, 09:41:50 pm by Donnywolf »

They are in front of the Boat Inn now !!!!

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 26, 2012, 10:50:27 pm by German Rover »

And now they are floating past North Bridge!!!

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 26, 2012, 11:12:32 pm by hoolahoop »

And now they are floating past North Bridge!!!

Anything to cut down their Council Tax bill.............the things folk do eh ;)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 26, 2012, 11:49:42 pm by Chris Black come back »
To be absolutely clear: the Don has NOT burst its banks at Sprotbrough.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012