Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 11:37:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Saunders soundbite  (Read 14720 times)

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
Saunders soundbite
« on April 27, 2012, 01:17:05 pm by drfcsteve »
On DROS now -

"I'm disappointed and I've got to hold my hands up because I thought I could keep us in the division, we nearly did it."

How exactly did we "nearly do it" when going in to the last game of the season we are rock bottom, 5 points from safety, and have a goal difference of minus 36 when the second worst team in the division is on minus 25.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 01:26:20 pm by drfcsteve »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
Re: Saunders soundbite
« Reply #1 on April 27, 2012, 01:33:43 pm by donnyroversfc »
The only thing wrong about his comment is the ''we nearly did it''. The rest is all totally understandable comments. Cant you respect him for the fact he's holding his hands up and admitting he  failed slightly in the task he was provided?

Even though the reason he failed (imo) is less to do with him and more to do with the club and their (stupid) decisions this season.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 27, 2012, 01:36:29 pm by Filo »
The only thing wrong about his comment is the ''we nearly did it''. The rest is all totally understandable comments. Cant you respect him for the fact he's holding his hands up and admitting he  failed slightly in the task he was provided?

Even though the reason he failed (imo) is less to do with him and more to do with the club and their (stupid) decisions this season.

What! and have nothing to moan about! Not possible!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 27, 2012, 02:54:02 pm by RedJ »
On DROS now -

"I'm disappointed and I've got to hold my hands up because I thought I could keep us in the division, we nearly did it."

How exactly did we "nearly do it" when going in to the last game of the season we are rock bottom, 5 points from safety, and have a goal difference of minus 36 when the second worst team in the division is on minus 25.  :facepalm:

way I see it we did nearly do it, then we had that collapse and it was all over - that's how I interpret what he meant there

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 27, 2012, 04:41:48 pm by RoversAlias »
Poor Dean just cannot win either way with some of the muppets on here can he?

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 27, 2012, 05:15:45 pm by drfcsteve »

He'd get a lot more respect if he could go a week without talking b*llocks. Seems you've been brainwashed though by his press conference soundbites, have you forgotten under his management we are bottom of the league, worst goal difference by a mile. If we're bottom of the league next season will it be ok as long as Saunders keeps giving positive soundbites?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 27, 2012, 05:26:00 pm by Jonathan »
There's no doubting he knows how to play the media (and some of the fans that have lapped it up since day one). However I am pleased to see at least some level of admission of culpbaility in recent weeks. It makes a refreshing change from blaming the previous regime or the inherited players.

Saunders came here with a fundamentally flawed strategy. Whilst he's spent too much time desperately trying to justify it, it's encouraging to see some insinuation that he got it wrong and might learn from it.

We didn't "nearly do it" at all, but I have no problem with this quote in general.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 27, 2012, 05:35:40 pm by RoversAlias »

He'd get a lot more respect if he could go a week without talking b*llocks. Seems you've been brainwashed though by his press conference soundbites, have you forgotten under his management we are bottom of the league, worst goal difference by a mile. If we're bottom of the league next season will it be ok as long as Saunders keeps giving positive soundbites?

Of course not. But Dean Saunders is not the sole reason we are bottom of the league. In fact, you could argue he is either not culpable at all or only partially culpable anyway. We were already in a state when he came in thanks to many mistakes made by the club, and he has failed to improve us at all. Obviously he has got it wrong that we 'nearly did it', but to carry on like some on this forum are over tiny little quips of his is getting ridiculous now.

Admittedly, I think I posted this as the culmination of reading three or four threads in a row that I felt went over the top bashing Saunders, this one wasn't particularly terrible. But he knows where we are in the table, and as RedJ says it can be interpreted to mean that he felt we were moving in the right direction and getting towards safety before the collapse of Derby/Millwall last month.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 27, 2012, 05:53:51 pm by Wellred »
Isn't it funny that the people who go on about all the soundbites coming from Dean Saunders are equally as bad with their incessant moaning about him.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 27, 2012, 06:23:22 pm by wilts rover »
There's no doubting he knows how to play the media (and some of the fans that have lapped it up since day one). However I am pleased to see at least some level of admission of culpbaility in recent weeks. It makes a refreshing change from blaming the previous regime or the inherited players.

Saunders came here with a fundamentally flawed strategy. Whilst he's spent too much time desperately trying to justify it, it's encouraging to see some insinuation that he got it wrong and might learn from it.

We didn't "nearly do it" at all, but I have no problem with this quote in general.

I would disagree with part of that Jonathan, the strategy - the players we had when Saunders arrived were not good enough and we needed better ones - was correct. It was the implementation of that strategy that was the problem, were the players he brought in any better, on reputation they were , on the pitch they weren't, and did he get the best out of the squad he had or was it the players who let him down? we wont truly know until next season, I remain hopeful - but sceptical.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 28, 2012, 06:41:00 am by CusworthRovers »
Even Deano acknowledges that we messed up and it went wrong v Derby/Millwall, especially after the positive momentum we were currently running at then.

The stats will show we were relegated with 4 odd games to go, which is still not 'nearly making it'. However, I think after today most would believe that we were effectively relegated 11 games ago or a possible 33 points ago. Again, a long way from 'nearly making it'.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 28, 2012, 09:26:26 am by drfcsteve »
Just to clarify, I didn't have a problem with the first bit of what he said, it clearly is his fault as he's been the manager for 38 games. What I took issue with was how once again he's trying to pull the wool over ignorant fans eyes saying we nearly stayed up when we clearly didn't.

Also everyone seems to forget that Portsmouth lost 10 points, which gave us more chance of staying up than any other year in the Championship. If Portsmouth didn't lose points we'd currently be 12 points from safety.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 28, 2012, 09:28:23 am by glosterred »
Should we have a sweep stake on which sound bite he will use first in todays post match press conference?

COYR

:scarf:

donnyjay

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 28, 2012, 10:00:58 am by donnyjay »
He starts next season with a clean slate as far as I'm concerned.

It's been a struggle since the first game of the season and like him or not when he took over we were already in trouble. We tried something radically different which didn't work and it's been a new experience for everybody involved.

Calling for his head or starting threads because you disagree with one line in an interview is not doing anybody any good.

He's not going anywhere soon so let's see how he does now he's got the time to assemble his own squad and plan for a new season.

All I am saying... is give Dean a chance.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 28, 2012, 10:54:33 am by drfcsteve »
I don't understand why next season is a clean slate for him? He knew what he was taking on when he took the job didn't he?

Why were we already in trouble when he took over? Him and McKay were talking of play-offs weren't they? And the very same squad he inherited stayed up the year before with points to spare and a crippling injury list, add to this that Dean could add "world class" players to the squad, and that a fellow struggling team got 10 points taken off them, surely we were in a much better position to stay up? But no, we didn't even nearly stay up as Saunders claims, we were the worst team on the league by a way, and the responsibility for that lies at his door.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 28, 2012, 10:59:13 am by RoversAlias »
"Why were we in trouble already?"

Are you joking? Everything was rosy from 24th place and 1 point in 7 matches, off the back of a winless run of 12 at the end of the previous season? Ok then...

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 28, 2012, 12:10:28 pm by mjdgreg »
I don't understand why next season is a clean slate for him? He knew what he was taking on when he took the job didn't he?

Why were we already in trouble when he took over? Him and McKay were talking of play-offs weren't they? And the very same squad he inherited stayed up the year before with points to spare and a crippling injury list, add to this that Dean could add "world class" players to the squad, and that a fellow struggling team got 10 points taken off them, surely we were in a much better position to stay up? But no, we didn't even nearly stay up as Saunders claims, we were the worst team on the league by a way, and the responsibility for that lies at his door.

Agree 100%. The guy is a clown. Keep him as manager and we'll get relegated again. Saunders out!!!!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 28, 2012, 03:23:18 pm by RedJ »

Agree 100%. The guy is a clown. Keep him as manager and we'll get relegated again. Saunders out!!!!

then we'll have no manager and no money for players so virtually no squad, and who would want to manage in these kinds of circumstances?

it's alright suggesting Saunders out, WHY NOT SUGGEST A f**kING ALTERNATIVE or dip your hand into your pocket and shell out the payoff fee if you're that convinced.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 28, 2012, 04:41:07 pm by Jonathan »
I don't think you can simply use the argument that we would have to pay him off. The club found the money to terminate the contracts of the previous management team at a time when poverty was pleaded.

It should come down to whether he is seen as the right man to stabilise the club. For the life of me I cannot see how anyone can logically reach the conclusion that he is, but what will be will be. If he stays I hope he shows a plethora of qualities that have thus far been totally lacking.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 28, 2012, 05:12:20 pm by mjdgreg »
then we'll have no manager and no money for players so virtually no squad, and who would want to manage in these kinds of circumstances?

it's alright suggesting Saunders out, WHY NOT SUGGEST A f***ING ALTERNATIVE or dip your hand into your pocket and shell out the payoff fee if you're that convinced.

Watson and Bramall are coming back so they can pay him off as it was probably their doing that he is here in the first place. I think you'll find there would be dozens of managers lining up for the job. If all else fails I'll have a go at it as I'm convinced I could a better job than Saunders. Saunders out now!!!

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 28, 2012, 05:26:57 pm by Capmeister »
Donnyjay, I gave peace a chance but that didnt work either!!!!!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 28, 2012, 06:46:36 pm by RoversAlias »
It was probably the KM2 who brought him in? What a load of nonsense Mick. I love this opinion that JR was saddled with the "experiment" just because he's a great legend here. McKay is Ryan's good pal, not Watson or Bramall's.

Saunders can stay and have a chance next season for me, but if it looks like nothing has changed after a short while then we need to look elsewhere.

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 28, 2012, 07:13:45 pm by donnyroversfc »
The board (inc JR) have failed and f**ked up alot more than Saunders has this season, should the board be sacked also then?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 28, 2012, 07:37:13 pm by Wellred »
and people wonder why some fans who have been contributing to this forum for years are now leaving in droves.
Can I suggest that you start a new forum and post all your SOD is God and other related fauning and go to pray at the temple of SOD.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 28, 2012, 07:51:49 pm by drfc1951 »

it's alright suggesting Saunders out, WHY NOT SUGGEST A f***ING ALTERNATIVE or dip your hand into your pocket and shell out the payoff fee if you're that convinced.

Watson and Bramall are coming back so they can pay him off as it was probably their doing that he is here in the first place. I think you'll find there would be dozens of managers lining up for the job. If all else fails I'll have a go at it as I'm convinced I could a better job than Saunders. Saunders out now!!!
I think i would sell my season ticket,but doubt i would get any takers.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 28, 2012, 08:08:56 pm by hoolahoop »
and people wonder why some fans who have been contributing to this forum for years are now leaving in droves.
Can I suggest that you start a new forum and post all your SOD is God and other related fauning and go to pray at the temple of SOD.

No one mentioned SO'D in this thread until you posted, I suggest it's you that has the problem ..........you're as much a clown as Saunders is.
In fact I claim my prize, you are Saunders and it's time to own up.
Anyone laying the blame for this season's debacle at the KM2 specifically needs a wake-up call.........THEY ARE PATENTLY INCORRECT.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 28, 2012, 08:32:17 pm by Wellred »
You really are struggling Hoola in fact it must a new record that there isn't a thread where someone wants your darling back.
Why can't everyone just wipe the slate clean and start  fresh with a new season and stop carping on about DS.
It is pathetic.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 28, 2012, 08:48:26 pm by Jonathan »
Why can't everyone just wipe the slate clean and start  fresh with a new season and stop carping on about DS.

The season only finished a few hours ago, I don't think it's inconceivable that people might still be discussing it! I'm genuinely intrigued to hear a logical argument as to why people should be so happy to go into next season with a clean slate for Saunders. What has he done to earn that opportunity? His position should certainly be under scrutiny given that all he has achieved is relegation and a return of less than a point a game over the best part of a season.

You can go on about the second half of last season all you want but the fact is we stayed up, same as we did the year before and the year before that. Now we've been relegated so I would fully expect there to be an inquest. Of course it's not all Saunders' fault, but he shoudl be shouldering his share of the blame and as somebody that has proved nothing at the club - his position should be looked at. The only case I've seen put forward for keeping him is based on nothing other than hope that he'll do lots of things he hasn't done this season.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 28, 2012, 09:05:38 pm by hoolahoop »
You really are struggling Hoola in fact it must a new record that there isn't a thread where someone wants your darling back.
It is pathetic.

Strangely enough I agreed with SOD's sacking at the time and don't hanker for his return now. I respected what he did for us but realised he had run out of steam; that much was obvious to all or should have been.
However to replace him with 'soundbite' saunders (with his lack of experience) and ask him to run this strategy was absolute madness and I said so at the time as did many of us . Backing someone for the sake of it and thinking you're being supportive is also........utter madness.
I don't care about the future of DS or his 'clean slate' , I only care about the future of this my club. For that reason alone I believe he has had ample time to prove his ability (given the players at his disposal) and has been found wanting (except by you of course)!

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 28, 2012, 09:19:17 pm by Scooter »
It is pathetic.

Strangely enough I agreed with SOD's sacking at the time and don't hanker for his return now. I respected what he did for us but realised he had run out of steam; that much was obvious to all or should have been.
However to replace him with 'soundbite' saunders (with his lack of experience) and ask him to run this strategy was absolute madness and I said so at the time as did many of us . Backing someone for the sake of it and thinking you're being supportive is also........utter madness.
I don't care about the future of DS or his 'clean slate' , I only care about the future of this my club. For that reason alone I believe he has had ample time to prove his ability (given the players at his disposal) and has been found wanting (except by you of course)!

Absolutely spot on ! :thumbsup:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012