Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 11:14:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Saunders soundbite  (Read 14716 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Saunders soundbite
« Reply #30 on April 29, 2012, 11:57:33 am by dickos1 »
Yes we have gone down, yes he has failed in keeping us up. But come on, the squad isn't good enough that is a fact , he has had to sell the one player that could have kept us up, the only signings he's been able to make are the ones part of the experiment.
He hasn't been able to spend money on one transfer fee, all the players he's been able to sign are ones that at the time nobody else wanted.
His only failing I believe is his confidence he was a little naive to say some of the things he did at the beginning. But to say he has to go now when he hasn't been given the opportunity to buy any players, sell any players is ridiculous.
He needs to be able to build his own team, the signings this year were only ever designed as short term measures as that was the only option available to him, let him build his own team next season and then decide, just like sod did and Penney did, sod struggled at the beginning and people wanted him gone, just look what would have happened if Ryan had listened to some folk we wouldn't have had the 3 years of outstanding football.
Saunders deserves a chance to build his team, look at the side yesterday only 2 of his signings playing. The squad isn't good enough and hasn't been for a long time now, let him build his own squad and be judged on that.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on April 29, 2012, 12:31:12 pm by Wellred »
Yes we have gone down, yes he has failed in keeping us up. But come on, the squad isn't good enough that is a fact , he has had to sell the one player that could have kept us up, the only signings he's been able to make are the ones part of the experiment.
He hasn't been able to spend money on one transfer fee, all the players he's been able to sign are ones that at the time nobody else wanted.
His only failing I believe is his confidence he was a little naive to say some of the things he did at the beginning. But to say he has to go now when he hasn't been given the opportunity to buy any players, sell any players is ridiculous.
He needs to be able to build his own team, the signings this year were only ever designed as short term measures as that was the only option available to him, let him build his own team next season and then decide, just like sod did and Penney did, sod struggled at the beginning and people wanted him gone, just look what would have happened if Ryan had listened to some folk we wouldn't have had the 3 years of outstanding football.
Saunders deserves a chance to build his team, look at the side yesterday only 2 of his signings playing. The squad isn't good enough and hasn't been for a long time now, let him build his own squad and be judged on that.

I would really love to be able to go back to that first half of the season of SOD's reign and see what the likes of Jonathon and Hoola were saying then.

I-was-there1976

« Reply #32 on April 29, 2012, 01:07:51 pm by I-was-there1976 »
let him build his own squad and be judged on that

i dont get this bit. He came with Mckay as a package but the fans were told he (SAUNDERS) had the last say who signed and who played.  Therefore in my eyes he built his own squad.

How many players (like he did at Wrexham) or chances does he need to build a squad?  Alot is the answer

It could be a another very expensive season ahead

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on April 29, 2012, 01:14:39 pm by dickos1 »
How many players has he actually bought?? Zero
What don't you get? The only players he signed were free transfers and loans, how much money did Penney and sod spend before they were judged?
He signed a lot of players yes, because he had to we were bottom and won 0 games out of 19.
The only option given to him was these players through mckay

I-was-there1976

« Reply #34 on April 29, 2012, 01:23:51 pm by I-was-there1976 »
my money is on more cheap / freebies( which no other team wants ) and more loans. Similar to this season then ??

Saunders' only hope is that League 1 is shite, no quality teams

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on April 29, 2012, 01:33:21 pm by Wellred »
my money is on more cheap / freebies( which no other team wants ) and more loans. Similar to this season then ??

Hang on......remind me what quality players we signed during last close season?
If my memory is correct SOD signed some real dross. (And before anyone starts that is not having a go at SOD) it is just an observation.

I don't think DS will be making any significant signings either. I am not sure what cave you have been living in but THERE IS NO MONEY TO SPLASH OUT ON PLAYERS.

I-was-there1976

« Reply #36 on April 29, 2012, 01:34:55 pm by I-was-there1976 »
i know there s no money. Its been spent on a massive squad. Have you seen the size of it ? Who s idea was that

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on April 29, 2012, 01:37:46 pm by Wellred »
i know there s no money. Its been spent on a massive squad. Have you seen the size of it ? Who s idea was that

I guess the answer would have to be Mr O'Driscoll seeing as how the loan players wont count!

I-was-there1976

« Reply #38 on April 29, 2012, 01:39:53 pm by I-was-there1976 »
2k a week doesnt count ?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on April 29, 2012, 01:40:54 pm by dickos1 »

In the summer we have 30 players out of contract plus another 12 that a number of will be sold.
Thus enabling the manager to spend money on his own players and building his own squad. It's not hard to grasp is it?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on April 29, 2012, 01:42:11 pm by Wellred »

In the summer we have 30 players out of contract plus another 12 that a number of will be sold.
Thus enabling the manager to spend money on his own players and building his own squad. It's not hard to grasp is it?

It is quite hard to grasp when you wear blinkers I'm afraid.

I-was-there1976

« Reply #41 on April 29, 2012, 01:42:26 pm by I-was-there1976 »
Wellred said there s no money to spend

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on April 29, 2012, 01:44:28 pm by drfcsteve »
I'm still waiting for someone to answer Jonathan's question, what qualities has Saunders shown that make people think he's a good manager and the right man for next year?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on April 29, 2012, 01:45:58 pm by Wellred »
So you don't mean expensive as in spending money on players then?
Just another dig at DS then I suppose.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on April 29, 2012, 01:49:12 pm by drfc1951 »
If JR thinks he has the right qualities then that is fine by me,i dont pay the wages.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on April 29, 2012, 01:49:44 pm by dickos1 »
Steve Jonathan asked for a reasonable arguement why he should be given a chance not what qualities he's previously shown. Please stop twisting and manipulating words.
I've given a reasoned arguement why I feel he deserves a chance next year while also accepting he failed this year, all be it under extremely difficult circumstances.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on April 29, 2012, 01:50:00 pm by Wellred »
I'm still waiting for someone to answer Jonathan's question, what qualities has Saunders shown that make people think he's a good manager and the right man for next year?

I think it would have been very difficult for even Fergie to have shown any qualities with the squad that Dean Saunders inherited.
What qualities did SOD show in his first season up until Christmas after he inherited Dave Penney's squad?

I-was-there1976

« Reply #47 on April 29, 2012, 01:53:15 pm by I-was-there1976 »
isnt this fun ?  :headbang:

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on April 29, 2012, 01:55:30 pm by dickos1 »
isnt this fun ?  :headbang:

It's fun that you can now see your argument doesn't add up

I-was-there1976

« Reply #49 on April 29, 2012, 02:00:11 pm by I-was-there1976 »
my last say on the matter

He's had 40 games to move players on (sell like you think he will in the close season )

He's had 40 games to finish 4th bottom

Here s a quote from yesterday

"If we'd have won the game - you can't help it, human nature - you go away thinking `everything's all right, we'll be all right next season'. Seeing that just makes my mind up. We've gifted three goals again - it's been happening all season. All the chances they got we gave them."

Thats the managers job on the training ground. 40 games is long enough to make a differance. The only difference is the team he picks week in week out.

Good luck with your fan club

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on April 29, 2012, 02:08:45 pm by drfcsteve »
Steve Jonathan asked for a reasonable arguement why he should be given a chance not what qualities he's previously shown. Please stop twisting and manipulating words.
I've given a reasoned arguement why I feel he deserves a chance next year while also accepting he failed this year, all be it under extremely difficult circumstances.

Answer the question.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on April 29, 2012, 02:09:30 pm by Wellred »

He's had 40 games to move players on (sell like you think he will in the close season )

"If we'd have won the game - you can't help it, human nature - you go away thinking `everything's all right, we'll be all right next season'. Seeing that just makes my mind up. We've gifted three goals again - it's been happening all season. All the chances they got we gave them."

Thats the managers job on the training ground. 40 games is long enough to make a differance. The only difference is the team he picks week in week out.

Sorry but your posts are getting dafter.
He has had 40 games to move players on? The only player that anyone would interested in signing went to Southampton. Who do you think he could have moved on? Do you not understand what being on a contract means?

Yes he did have 39 games to get us into 4th from bottom and yes if we hadn't given chances away we might have got there.

How many other Managers could also say what if?
Middlesbrough would be in the play offs if they hadn't only drawn with Doncaster Rovers at home.

Just recently he has been picking the old guard but we have still been losing, what would be your solution to that?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on April 29, 2012, 02:10:38 pm by dickos1 »

That just about sums your argument up. How can he move players on if nobody wants them? There was one month available for players to be sold, nobody wanted them. Therefore he has to wait until their contracts are up you can't just get rid of players.
It's been happening a lot longer than 40 games, more like 75. So is that Saunders fault too? In my opinion it's neither Saunders or sods fault, we're a club that is above our station, we can't improve the squad we tried the only option available and it didn't work.
So now were somewhere more like where we belong so let's see if we can compete at this level.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on April 29, 2012, 02:12:49 pm by Wellred »

Answer the question.

A number of people have posted reasons why they think he deserves a chance next season.
If you choose to ignore those reasons because you don't like what they say then that is a problem you have which will probably not go away.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on April 29, 2012, 02:19:44 pm by dickos1 »

Answer the question.

I've answered it. Read the posts before you make comment

dumbroofer

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on April 29, 2012, 02:20:01 pm by dumbroofer »

I think it would have been very difficult for even Fergie to have shown any qualities with the squad that Dean Saunders inherited.
What qualities did SOD show in his first season up until Christmas after he inherited Dave Penney's squad?

the squad he inherited was of a far higher quality than we will have next season,if the higher earners are sold/given away.
plus the dozen or so better players he brought in through the failed experiment.
and he manged one win in twenty,and counting.
therefore imo he has done sweet diddly squat to even warrant being given the chance to even start next season.
i seem to recall that it was said a few months ago ,judge ds at the seasons end ,well its ended and he failed ,now there are calls for him to be judged next season too,when he can ship our better players out and improve us.
dont make me laugh .

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on April 29, 2012, 02:23:02 pm by dickos1 »
The squad he inherited had an even worse record. He hasn't bought a player yet. Sod spent close to 2 million, and before he did that he struggled,
Our squad is massive, and full of players not good enough, how a manager can be judged without buying and selling players is beyond me.

dumbroofer

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on April 29, 2012, 02:35:32 pm by dumbroofer »
what monies were recouped by the sale of players brought in by sod?
and ds knew what he was letting himself in for when he signed up,lets just answer one simple question please.
dean saunders was hired to keep us in the champioship,so has he been a success ?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on April 29, 2012, 03:01:56 pm by Jonathan »
Wellred has so little to offer to this whole debate it beggars belief. The one line jibes and empty, petty rubbish is wearing thin. He continually brings the previous manager into the equation before trying to palm off the blame on others (for the record I was absolutely not one of the ones losing patience in his first season as I thought the style of football he was trying to embedd was evident early, and although we subsequently had a bad run of results he undoutedly bought himself time by winning a trophy in Cardiff).

Dickos1 has at least put a coherent argument together. Personally I don't agree with a lot of it as I think Saunders is largely accountable for arriving with the flawed strategy and mismanagement of it thereafter. Surely if people view him as seperate to the expreiment they must question why he was so willing to run with it? Why didn't he adopt a different outlook if that was what he genuinely believed in? I take the point that we might have been relegated with our without Saunders, but I find the manner in which he's taken us down particularly disappointing, and I've seen and heard utterly nothing from him to give me any confidence that he will build something more encouraging next season.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on April 29, 2012, 03:09:32 pm by dickos1 »
I agree he did arrive with the flawed strategy but as a conference manager I don't think he had much choice but to accept the job in the championship, whatever the circumstances.
He can't blame the experiment and neither can I, because he was fully aware of all it entailed. But it still doesn't take away the fact he hasn't had the opportunity to buy a player all he has been able to do is make a choice from a small selection given to him by McKay.
I do think he can rebuild the squad with young hungry players that will make us competitive next year and think he does deserve a fair crack, because upto know he hasn't in my opinion, doesn't matter how many games or how long, if he's not been able to bring his own players in that's an impossible job..

TinyPortal © 2005-2012