Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 09:06:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Running  (Read 11583 times)

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
Running
« on April 30, 2012, 07:35:12 am by DaveDRFC »
Following on from the recent post about GPS watches seems there are a few people on here into running. Just wondering what everyone's PBs are and what races they've got lined up over the next few weeks and months? Could maybe meet up for some well deserved post race beers! Also are people members of a running club? I'm a member of Sheffield Running Club and it's helped me come on so much from just training alone, would definitely recommend it to anyone.

I'm doing Sheffield Half Marathon at the end of May, considering the Humber Bridge Half at the end of June, and doing Great North Run in September (can't wait for that one!). Also on the lookout for a few 10km races to do but not signed up for any yet. My next big challenge after London last weekend is the Disney 'Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge' in Orlando next January, which is a half marathon on the Saturday followed by a full marathon the next day. Should be fun!

My PBs are 20:32 for 5km, 41:23 for 10km, 1:46:32 for half marathon, and 3:53:51 for the full marathon.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

5minstogo

• Forum Member
Re: Running
« Reply #1 on April 30, 2012, 08:27:35 am by 5minstogo »
Blimey those are certainly some times for me to aim at!  I started running pretty much a year ago as a way of losing weight.  Now three stone lighter and I'm really enjoying it (even to the point where I went out in yesterdays monsoon)

I've only entered one organised race, the Rossington Gallop last month. 10k cross country with obstacles. Took me 54 minutes which was disappointing but I didn't come last which I saw as an achievement!  I've entered the Donny 10k which is in a couple of weeks and am running 10k in training in 47 ish mins.  I've also entered the Sheffield Half. 

My aim for this year was to do the Worksop half in October but I think I'm ready to do one sooner so I'll give Sheffield a try! I've been doing 11 miles in around 1:30.

It is good fun though and I really enjoy the races, I though they would be full of Mo Farah types but everyone is full of encouragement.  I had considered joining a running club as I seem to do much better running with someone, I may have to look into this.

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 30, 2012, 08:35:13 am by DaveDRFC »
I'm the same, started off as I wanted to lose weight but just got into it in a big way, so much so that I would now rather go to running club than play 5 a side. Never thought I would say that 3 years ago when I first started! My first 10km race took me over an hour but the last year especially I've improved a lot and I put this down to joining a running club. That and running 30 miles a week since January in preparation for London!

Sheffield is a really good one to do for your first half, lots of crowds cheering you on, especially down Ecclesall Road, and you get the big stadium finish down the 100m track at Don Valley. Plus it's not as hilly as you'd expect. One word of warning though, when you get back to the stadium you'll think you've nearly finished but no, they send you round the back and you have to run around the stadium before they let you in! Very demoralising after nearly 13 miles of running!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:42:18 am by DaveDRFC »

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 30, 2012, 09:04:18 am by 5minstogo »
Thats encouraging then. I want to get faster but I always seem to run at pretty much the same pace. It's a mystery how my times always seem to be within 5 or ten seconds of each other! I'm running around 23 miles a week at the moment and think I'm gradually getting a bit faster so we'll see what happens in the race.

My ultimate aim is to run a marathon, would love it to be London but know that's unlikely to happen.

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 30, 2012, 09:09:18 am by DaveDRFC »
Have you entered the ballot for London next year? It has opened today but they close it at 125,000 entries, took less than a day last year. I'm really lucky in that I've done it twice, first time was a charity entry (had to raise £1600!) then this year I got a ballot place. It is an amazing experience and I would recommend it to anyone, that feeling when you cross the line is indescribable!

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 30, 2012, 09:20:01 am by 5minstogo »
Well reminded, knew there was something important to do today! All done  :thumbsup:

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 30, 2012, 11:08:55 am by Jenny »
I'm running Brighton Marathon next year - a big challenge for me. What started off as walking to get fit has now turned into running to get fit & i'm actually really enojying it. I was gonna start low and do a couple of 5K/10K runs, but I'm doing 5K on an evening now and really wanted to do something to push myself.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:29:08 pm by Jenny »

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 13, 2012, 03:13:14 pm by 5minstogo »
Did the Doncaster 10k this morning. Didn't enjoy it as much as the Rossington Gallop but was a much better turnout.

Start was quite congested as well, folk who should've started much further back clogged it up a bit. 

Official results out Monday but I made my time 49:43 which I was disappointed with but never mind.  Two weeks now til the Sheffield Half.

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 28, 2012, 07:15:58 am by DaveDRFC »
How'd you get on at the half yesterday? I ran a new PB, 1:37:18. Was very unexpected, didn't think I had that kind of pace in me!

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 28, 2012, 07:48:03 am by 5minstogo »
Well done, that's awesome, especially in the heat.  My mate finished around that time as well.

I was happy just to complete it! Time was 1:58:24 so a PB (well it was my first!)

I saw you on Ecclesall Road, you were heading back down as I was dragging myself up.  To be fair I set off really slow as I was worried about the heat but I didn't really struggle til mile 10. It's a fairly dull running environment back up to the stadium from there.

Enjoyed it though and would like to think I could go quicker next time.  Just going to have a look for some more races later. Think I'm happier around the 10k mark for the moment.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 10, 2012, 09:49:31 pm by 5minstogo »
Anyone doing Sandall Beat 10k on Wednesday?

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 19, 2012, 06:20:29 am by DaveDRFC »
Next race I'm doing is the Donny town centre 5km on 11th July. Hoping to duck under 20 minutes for the first time but need to get some training done, gone into fat man mode since the Sheffield Half!

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 19, 2012, 08:05:45 am by 5minstogo »
Cool that's my next one too.  I think the best I can hope for is around 22 minutes. I ran Sandall Beat 10k last week in 45:45 taking four minutes off my PB so I'm heading in the right direction and have started running with a group out in Barnburgh and can feel the benefit already.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 19, 2012, 06:40:54 pm by philsky »

I love my running but at 50 years of age its uphill now !

5k @ 19.30 and 10k 42.15 are my PB's.

I have the Trent Park 10k on Sunday and am dreaming of sub-42.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 19, 2012, 07:05:45 pm by 5minstogo »
Cracking times there Philsky!

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 19, 2012, 08:38:36 pm by Al4475 »
I used to do it - not any more unfortunately - I wouldn't listen to my coach as a kid and ran far too far, far too fast and far too young - my knees are now officially fcuked!

My PBS: 10k - 32m 34s
               5k - 14m 52s
Half Marathon - 71m 48s

Unreal really when I look back - these times were all achieved prior to my 18th Birthday with the exception of the Half Marathon which was on my actual 18th birthday. I could fcukin fly! Used to love it! my ambition as a youngster was to make the cut for the 2000 Olympics Marathon - I reckon I may have made it - although I never got chance to run the full distance.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 20, 2012, 08:32:33 am by 5minstogo »
I used to do it - not any more unfortunately - I wouldn't listen to my coach as a kid and ran far too far, far too fast and far too young - my knees are now officially fcuked!

My PBS: 10k - 32m 34s
               5k - 14m 52s
Half Marathon - 71m 48s

Now that is quick, just think you could have been like that Gebreselassie fella! I don't think my legs could even move that quickly.  I hated running as a youngster, always cheated on the cross country at school but really enjoy it now.

Unreal really when I look back - these times were all achieved prior to my 18th Birthday with the exception of the Half Marathon which was on my actual 18th birthday. I could fcukin fly! Used to love it! my ambition as a youngster was to make the cut for the 2000 Olympics Marathon - I reckon I may have made it - although I never got chance to run the full distance.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 10, 2012, 01:12:54 pm by Jenny »
I did just over 8k last night, furthest run I have done in just under an hour. If it had rained I would have carried on to 10k but I was hot, bothered and thirsty and had no water left. The weather let me down!!

Felt okay afterwards and feel okay today, a little bit daunted about how I step up from doing an 8k distance to 21k for the Great North Run in just over 9 weeks time.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 10, 2012, 01:20:57 pm by 5minstogo »
Hmm it is tricky.  If it's any consolation I found the hardest jump from 5 miles to 6 miles. I increased by a mile a week and tried to get out three times a week.  When I trained for Sheffield Half people were telling me to go 15/16 miles so 13 felt a doddle but the most I did was 11 or 12.  The occasion gets you through the last bit.   Since then I've dropped my mileage right down but I've joined a running club who concentrate more on Speedwork and Tempo runs than distance.

I'm doing the Town Centre 5k tomorrow which is the first 5k I will have done.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 10, 2012, 03:21:00 pm by Jenny »
Having done 2 MoonWalks (26.2 power walks overnight), I know that I can cover a marathon distance even if I had to walk some of it, it is just a case of improving the pace and transferring my stubborness when walking into running.

My problem at the minute is getting into a routine where I go out regulary again, unfortunately my life keeps taking over running... When I come back up north I don't really run, and given I am spending most of the next 3 weeks up north its going to be a real challenge because I cannot afford to lose another 3 weeks training!

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on July 12, 2012, 12:35:25 am by DaveDRFC »

Good to see you tonight, how did you get on? I got a new PB of 20:15, still not got the sub-20 I've been after for a while but I'm heading in the right direction. That hill seemed to get a little bit steeper every lap!

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 12, 2012, 08:23:46 am by 5minstogo »

Good to see you tonight, how did you get on? I got a new PB of 20:15, still not got the sub-20 I've been after for a while but I'm heading in the right direction. That hill seemed to get a little bit steeper every lap!

Likewise. I tried to stay near you for as long as I could but you were just a speck in the distance come the second lap. Finished in 21:22 which by virtue of being my first 5k is a PB. Felt a little disappointed as I had a quick finish and think I could have pushed on a little earlier but I guess it's all experience for next time.

Not got anything booked in until August now which is the Brodsworth 5 (mile) which was postponed last month due to the weather. Going to knuckle down and see where that takes me!

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 22, 2012, 07:35:21 pm by Jenny »
I've just done my first 10k in just a shade under 1 hour 14 minutes - pretty happy with that considering that I have a stinking cold and running in this heat is never easy!

8 weeks til GNR! EEK!!

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 23, 2012, 07:58:17 am by 5minstogo »
I've just done my first 10k in just a shade under 1 hour 14 minutes - pretty happy with that considering that I have a stinking cold and running in this heat is never easy!

8 weeks til GNR! EEK!!

Nice one, 8 weeks is plenty of time to get that extra mileage in. Mixed with the adrenaline on the day and the crowd support and you'll be fine.

I've entered full training mode now, want to try and register some new PB's before the end of the year so have pencilled in Sheffield TenTenTen in September and Leeds Abbey Dash in November to beat my 45:45 10k time.  Then hopefully doing Nottingham Half in September and Worksop Half in October to better the 1:58:24 from Sheffield.

Once those are done I'll be in full on marathon training mode, can't decide between Edinburgh or Manchester at the moment, unless I get a London place in the ballot!

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 24, 2012, 01:09:42 pm by CusworthRovers »
Morning Campers.

I did the Sandall Beat 10k. I also did the Sherwood Pines 10k on Sunday and it was tres bad in this heat. I got 2 massive and painful blisters on the ball of both my feet same position under the big toes/ball of the foot area. That's me out for a week or so.

Anybody watch Panorama re running trainers, supplements etc etc. What an eye opener that was!

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 24, 2012, 01:44:21 pm by 5minstogo »
Didn't see Panorama but folk have told me about it. I was surprised about the gait analysis but not so much about the energy drinks.  I think I'll still continue with the energy gels/drinks on exercise over 75 minutes though.  Never bother before that time really just hydrate before and after.

What did you think to Sandall Beat? Did you find it a bit short of 10k? Other than that I enjoyed a nice run round the woods.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 27, 2012, 10:50:46 am by CusworthRovers »
4 of us did the Sandal Beat 10K and to be honest we all had it 10.05-10.08, ie all had it further. Ditto last year when we did it.

I find this the best of the local 10k's. It's cooler, as it evening and nice and flat. The only fault is that boring bit round the big field off Leger Way. If you want your best time this is the one.

I'm in for the Brodsworth 5mile on 25th ish August (another Wed evening one). It takes in a loop of Pickburn/Broddy and then onto the new recycled Broddy Pit Tip (hills).

I've got the Derwent Water 15km, up in the Lakes, first weekend of September (best race I have ever been in).

I failed again to get in the GNR (16Sept), however a friend is currently injured and I've got my eye on that place.

I may do the Worksop half again end of Oct, but the goal is the Hell Up North in Cheshire on 4th Nov.

I need something before the Broddy one on 25th ish August. I'm sure there's one in Donny or nearby somewhere.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 27, 2012, 12:34:59 pm by 5minstogo »
Strange, perhaps my Garmin had a blip! People have been telling me I'd easy run 1 or 2 minutes quicker on the road but I think Sandall was just a quick course. We'll see I guess.

I'm in the Broddy one too which is 22nd August, not done 5 miles in a race before so will see what time that brings.  Then I've got nothing until 22 September when I think I'll do Sheffield 101010 and all being well Nottingham half the weekend after.

I'll be doing Worksop Half as well and then Leeds Abbey Dash 10k in November which is supposed to be good for a fast time.

I've not seen anything else before Brodsworth 5 but I only really look locally.   

I quite liked the look of the James Herriott race this weekend but got other stuff on sadly.

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on July 28, 2012, 03:54:41 am by DaveDRFC »
I've fallen out of love with running a bit lately, think it's because I achieved all the goals I set out to at the start of the year (bar the sub 20 minute 5km) and now I'm suffering from a bit of a lack of motivation. Still trying to put in 15-20 miles a week but it's nothing on the 30 miles a week minimum I was doing while training for London and my fitness has definitely suffered as a result. That and eating and drinking far too much now I don't have my marathon mindset anymore!

I've got no races planned between now and the end of the year other than the GNR, and I think I might just use that to try and help my father-in-law get his first sub 2 hour half marathon rather than go for a good time myself. I do need to get my arse in gear at some point though as I'm doing the Disney half and full marathons in Orlando in January so will need to get some serious training in for that!

I've done the 101010 before and didn't like it, it's more of a cross country than a 10km race and is 2 laps around some pretty hilly terrain. When I did it it pissed it down and I fell down a hill! I've heard that the Abbey Dash in Leeds is a really quick one though so that could be the PB course you are looking for. Worksop is another good one, I've done that the last 2 years (1:48 both times) but think I will give it a miss this time around as I want the Disney one to be my 10th half marathon (sad I know!).

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 28, 2012, 01:03:21 pm by 5minstogo »
Hmm may rethink the 101010 then as I've just seen the Isle of Axholme Half is the same weekend.  I might do that and knock 101010 and Nottingham on the head.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012