Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 08:46:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Running  (Read 11581 times)

5minstogo

• Forum Member
Re: Running
« Reply #30 on August 22, 2012, 09:06:04 am by 5minstogo »
Best of luck to those running the Brodsworth 5 tonight.  I've not done much running in the last fortnight so don't know if that'll make me fresh or if I'll struggle.

We shall see!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on August 22, 2012, 11:16:39 am by Jenny »
I've signed up for the Sheffield 10k next weekend to get some 'race' time in before the Great North Run given that I only ever run on my own.

Feeling very nervous about it now and not confident at all - I've slipped a bit in recent weeks and been swayed too much by gigs and alcohol to put any real effort into training, but promised myself a 4 week detox so we'll see how that goes...

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 22, 2012, 11:32:47 am by 5minstogo »
 :lol: I start a four-week detox every Tuesday and have normally failed by Saturday at the latest!  Alcohol definitely has an adverse effect on my running performance as well so I don't know why I do it to myself. Oh and food too, I see the calories going out when I run so I feel the need to stuff twice as many back in.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on August 23, 2012, 10:52:23 am by 5minstogo »
Well that was bloody hilly  :blink:

When they said you tackle the Brodsworth Beast I thought you got a go on that big ropey bird who is often seen up there.

Managed a fairly respectable 35:54.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on August 24, 2012, 11:26:53 am by CusworthRovers »
That's very good and you are better than me in fairness. The Brodsworth Beast was mastered and good training for me ready for the Derwent Water Trail Race next weekend (15k). I'll see how I come out of that before I consider The Isle of Axholme half.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on August 25, 2012, 08:18:59 pm by Jenny »
Well a little incident today has probably put me out of the Sheffield 10k next weekend and potentially the Great North Run. Been building up to this for months, absolutely gutted.

The Mighty Brian Rowe

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on August 26, 2012, 05:21:50 pm by The Mighty Brian Rowe »
Entered the Axholme Half last week. It'll be my first half marathon at the grand old age of 42. Anything around 1hr 50 will do me just fine. It's fairly flat, so quite looking forward to it.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on August 26, 2012, 05:48:27 pm by 5minstogo »
Excellent, I'll be entering the Isle of Axholme half shortly, been told it is flat but can be windy. I want to finish within 1:45 this year, so if I can do it this one I can hopefully go quicker at Worksop at month later.

Maybe VSC should look into setting up a running club!

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on August 26, 2012, 05:50:07 pm by 5minstogo »
Well a little incident today has probably put me out of the Sheffield 10k next weekend and potentially the Great North Run. Been building up to this for months, absolutely gutted.

That is bad news, hopefully it won't be as bad as first feared.  I'm currently sat with an ice pack under my knee, had a slight niggle for the last 24 hours and hoping it doesn't develop!

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on August 26, 2012, 06:31:45 pm by Jenny »
I fell off my bike & took quite a blow - suspected broken arm & even walking at the minute is an effort.... I really needed these last three weeks of training, I reckon even if I don't get put in plaster tomorrow, I won't be able to get up & going again in time for GNR! Bloody gutted :(

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on August 26, 2012, 07:08:41 pm by 5minstogo »
Bugger, if it's any consolation when I did the Sheffield half a guy ran past me wearing a pot on his arm. I was also overtaken by two guys dressed as a camel but that's another story.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on August 26, 2012, 07:14:45 pm by Jenny »
Oops!!

Will see what the hospital say tomorrow, really don't want to have to defer, hopefully will feel better in the morning! Just walked about half a mile & exhausted!!

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on September 16, 2012, 04:29:36 pm by Jenny »
So, despite doctors orders I did the Great North Run today - 2:50:05 I was hoping for under 3 hours so very pleased with my little self for my first race and doing it with a triple arm fracture!!!

Onto Great South Run in 6 weeks now.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on September 17, 2012, 08:28:51 am by 5minstogo »
So, despite doctors orders I did the Great North Run today - 2:50:05 I was hoping for under 3 hours so very pleased with my little self for my first race and doing it with a triple arm fracture!!!

Onto Great South Run in 6 weeks now.

Well done, I wondered yesterday if you had done it.  Good luck for the next one!

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on September 18, 2012, 11:19:18 am by DaveDRFC »
I managed to do GNR in 1:39:14, not a PB but very pleased to go under 1:40 given the summer of excess I have had!

Next race is a 10km in Clumber Park on 6th October (morning of the Shrewsbury home game) if anyone fancies doing it?

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on September 18, 2012, 11:38:12 am by 5minstogo »
Nice one Dave, great time!

I'm doing the Isle of Axholme Half on Sunday, hoping to show some improvement from my Sheffield time of 1:58 but I really struggle at this distance for some reason.  Not too bad up to 10 miles but the last 3 are killers.  All tips well received....

After that I'm doing the Cusworth 10k on 7th October but I'm the best man at a wedding the day before so we'll have to see.......

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on September 18, 2012, 02:48:49 pm by Jenny »
The last 3 for the GNR killed me too.... I had good split times (for me) right the way up until the 15k mark and then dropped off a cliff. In hindsight I probably could have pushed myself a bit harder and had I had my garmin on I probably would have done as I would have been very aware of how much I had slowed down (think it took me almost an hour for the last 6k). That will be the first and last time I ever run any kind of distance without it!

Dave, for some reason I thought Clumber Park was on the Sunday and was all ready to change my train times, glad I didn't as I would have still missed it!!! I am looking at maybe working from Leeds on the Friday so it might be a possibility for me now.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on September 23, 2012, 04:30:34 pm by 5minstogo »
Isle of Axholme Half this morning, started really brightly for me, until mile 9 when I just lost all forward momentum! Body packed in. Stumbled the last 4 miles to finish in 1:49, a PB buster of over 8 minutes from Sheffield.

Feel a bit disappointed after my decent start but guess I paid the price for going off to quickly.  Got a bit lonely at times on that course too, out in the wilderness!

The Mighty Brian Rowe

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on September 23, 2012, 07:24:00 pm by The Mighty Brian Rowe »
Did the Axholme one myself. First ever Half Marathon. Managed 1.42 which I was delighted with.

Lovely and flat, but you're right about being in te middle of nowhere. A bit different from downtown Gateshead I guess.

I thought I'd set off too quickly, but managed to keep it going for the full 13 miles. Even that hill at the end (which I know very well) was ok.

Maybe beginners luck. I'll probably be near 2 hours at my next one.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on September 23, 2012, 07:44:50 pm by 5minstogo »
Did the Axholme one myself. First ever Half Marathon. Managed 1.42 which I was delighted with.

Lovely and flat, but you're right about being in te middle of nowhere. A bit different from downtown Gateshead I guess.

I thought I'd set off too quickly, but managed to keep it going for the full 13 miles. Even that hill at the end (which I know very well) was ok.

Maybe beginners luck. I'll probably be near 2 hours at my next one.

Nice one, my aim was 1:42-1:45 so we were probably quite close up to mile 9 as my pace was about right.  That was my second after Sheffield in May.  Next one is in 4 weeks, Worksop.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on September 27, 2012, 11:18:04 am by 5minstogo »
Cheers Dave for reminding me of the London Marathon Ballot all those months ago.

Just got confirmation of my place for 2013  :thumbsup:

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on September 27, 2012, 02:27:45 pm by DaveDRFC »
Cheers Dave for reminding me of the London Marathon Ballot all those months ago.

Just got confirmation of my place for 2013  :thumbsup:

Nice one!!

Guess I'll be hearing one way or the other soon then, I'm not holding much hope seeing as I got in through the ballot this year so to get in 2 years in a row would be a bit lucky!

Marathon training is a whole new ball game by the way, just on an entirely different level to building up to a 10km or a half. This is my first week back on it in preparation for the Disney marathon in January and I'm already getting a bit daunted at the thought of 30+ miles a week!!

Good luck with your training, it will be well worth it come the day :)

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on September 27, 2012, 08:30:33 pm by DaveDRFC »
Didn't get in  :(

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on September 28, 2012, 07:54:32 am by 5minstogo »
 :thumbdown:

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on October 08, 2012, 08:39:44 pm by DaveDRFC »
Did the Clumber Park 10km on Saturday in just over 43 mins. Wasn't a PB but probably my most respectable result to date, came 20th out of nearly 300 people. Think that's me done for races this year, concentrating on the marathon training now.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on October 09, 2012, 11:23:59 am by 5minstogo »
Well done Dave, I did Cusworth 10k on Sunday, was best man at a wedding the day before and consumed far too much alcohol.  Managed to knock another minute off my best 10k time, comng in at 44:50.

Worksop half in a few weeks now.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on October 15, 2012, 10:55:22 pm by Jenny »
Seeing people post times of 44:50 for a 10k depresses me somewhat, makes me realise how far I have to go....

I knocked 2 minutes off my best 10k time tonight & came in at 1:11:44. This was on the back of 5 consecutive days running, might have a rest tomorrow!!

Next race is Great South Run next weekend, hoping to come in under 2 hours but I think its a bit hopeful, I think it will probably be closer to 2:10

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on October 16, 2012, 08:24:46 am by 5minstogo »
Seeing people post times of 44:50 for a 10k depresses me somewhat, makes me realise how far I have to go....

I knocked 2 minutes off my best 10k time tonight & came in at 1:11:44. This was on the back of 5 consecutive days running, might have a rest tomorrow!!

Next race is Great South Run next weekend, hoping to come in under 2 hours but I think its a bit hopeful, I think it will probably be closer to 2:10

It's all relative I guess, I see Dave's times and they depress me! I only race against myself though as that's the only race I stand a chance of winning.  As long as you feel like you are progressing then that's what counts.

Good luck with GSR, just get Billy (Sharp) to carry you round.  2:10 is good for a half. I struggle with distance so am trying to just concentrate on distance now rather than speed, I'm doing Worksop on same day and if I can get 1:45 I'll be happy.  That has been my target in all 3 halfs I've done but never managed it.

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on October 16, 2012, 08:30:49 am by DaveDRFC »
Worksop is a really nice course Gary, I've enjoyed doing it the last 2 years but am at work this time around so can't make it. Don't be too daunted by the hill you have to run up for the first mile and a half as you get to run down it for the finish!

I ticked over 1000 miles (1600km) ran so far this year yesterday. I know it's sad that I even know that but pretty pleased, it's an average of 3.4 miles a day!

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on October 16, 2012, 09:53:35 am by Jenny »

It's all relative I guess, I see Dave's times and they depress me! I only race against myself though as that's the only race I stand a chance of winning.  As long as you feel like you are progressing then that's what counts.

Good luck with GSR, just get Billy (Sharp) to carry you round.  2:10 is good for a half. I struggle with distance so am trying to just concentrate on distance now rather than speed, I'm doing Worksop on same day and if I can get 1:45 I'll be happy.  That has been my target in all 3 halfs I've done but never managed it.

GSR is 'only' 10 mile, my pace slipped to 13 minute miles (on average) for the GNR so that would put me at 2:10 over the course of a 10 mile route - I am fairly confident that I can come in below that but just depends on the conditions and the course on the day. Looking forward to it though - need to have something lined up below it. I focus a lot better when I have a race coming up.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012