Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 12:04:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Alternative to penalties  (Read 6949 times)

South West Rover

• VSC Member
Alternative to penalties
« on May 25, 2012, 12:33:45 pm by South West Rover »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18205513

Sepp Blatter has asked for an alternative to penalties to be looked into.

Apart from playing on till the players drop how about this:

Play restarts and every 5 minutes, 1 player from each side is removed from the field until a goal is scored or it ends up with keepers slugging it out.  Players removed from a team are chosen by the opposition manager.

:chair:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfc1951

• Forum Member
Re: Alternative to penalties
« Reply #1 on May 25, 2012, 12:39:02 pm by drfc1951 »
What if the manager chooses the keeper?

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 25, 2012, 12:42:10 pm by donnyroversfc »
Would all get a bit silly, and turn the game into a mockery tbh.

Golden goal in every extra-time game is a must. Can't see how you can TOTALLY get rid of the penalty shoot-outs, unless we swap peno's for free-kicks?  :laugh: we'd lose every one!

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 25, 2012, 12:46:51 pm by Chris »
It wasn't so long ago that Blatter was suggesting that every drawn World Cup group game should be decided with a penalty shootout. The guy's a fool.

South West Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 25, 2012, 12:47:14 pm by South West Rover »
What if the manager chooses the keeper?

I knew there had to be something wrong with it!  :lol:  Okay keepers are off limits.

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 25, 2012, 12:48:45 pm by keyser_soze »
Golden Goal is a fantastic spectacle and a great way to win a game (or a promotion back into the league) I'm biased though, and imagine it must be a shit way to lose! Has it been completely consigned to the history books now?

I'm not sure what was wrong with that, or the Silver Goal

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 25, 2012, 01:24:33 pm by RoversAlias »
Golden Goal is shit, I'm glad they abolished it. Though obviously glad that it was still in effect in 2003 :P

The way it is now is perfectly fine, unless Blatter wants to go back to the days when major tournament semi-finals were being decided on a coin toss.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 25, 2012, 01:44:18 pm by The Red Baron »
Penalty shoot-outs to decide drawn games are a bit like democracy- a rotten system until you consider the alternatives!

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 25, 2012, 01:46:19 pm by DRNaith »
I used to like the idea of a widening goal.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 25, 2012, 01:47:37 pm by RoversAlias »
From BBC Sportsday:

Jeet Kotedia on Twitter: "When the whistle blows at the 120th min, the first manager to call shotgun wins the game!"

:lol:

South West Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 25, 2012, 03:26:55 pm by South West Rover »
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1195909-10-alternatives-to-a-penalty-shootout

Some good ones in here.  Maybe the winner could be decided on certain statistics. Pass/tackle/header completion. At least then, technically the best team would win. Might encourage a higher quality football......

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 25, 2012, 03:37:41 pm by Dagenham Rover »
He only wants to change it cos an english team won on penaltys if Bayern won it wouldn't be an issue

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 25, 2012, 04:37:36 pm by andysly »
Paper, stone, scissors. Sorted.

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 25, 2012, 06:52:20 pm by southwestexile »
Who is this Stepp Ladder?

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 25, 2012, 07:14:42 pm by donnyroversfc »

Him out of Steps?

streatham dave

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 25, 2012, 07:29:12 pm by streatham dave »
Take penalties before all knock out games. Gives more of an incentive for the team that loses not to settle for a draw.

whisky

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 25, 2012, 07:40:05 pm by whisky »
He only wants to change it cos an english team won on penaltys if Bayern won it wouldn't be an issue
Spot on.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 25, 2012, 08:31:14 pm by roversontheup »
Golden Goal is a fantastic spectacle and a great way to win a game (or a promotion back into the league) I'm biased though, and imagine it must be a shit way to lose! Has it been completely consigned to the history books now?

I am with you KS but  perhaps I am biased cos of that magical golden goal at Stoke.  I hate penalties.  If a match is all square after 90+mins then golden goal is at least a fair way of settling it.  Obviously if it doesn't we end up with the dreaded pens but I am sure there would be more results than draws with GG.

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #18 on May 25, 2012, 08:56:44 pm by Rovin Reporter »
Sepp blatter what a plonker , he probably as never kick a ball in his life, yet he gets away with interfering into worlds best game . May be he should decide all outcomes , depending who he has backed to win at at betfred

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 25, 2012, 10:12:22 pm by roverstillidie91 »
Its our sport, we invented so i don't understand why we should have the likes of Sepp Blatter trying to mess around with the rules to do with football

its just fine as it is

same with Platini, is bringing in the financial fair play regulations is due to the fact his countries football teams to p**s all in europe or anything and the only time they won the champions league was by cheating

I wonder what he's got to say about PSG spending ridiculous amounts of money

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 25, 2012, 10:48:05 pm by stuey »

I am with you KS but  perhaps I am biased cos of that magical golden goal at Stoke.  I hate penalties.  If a match is all square after 90+mins then golden goal is at least a fair way of settling it.  Obviously if it doesn't we end up with the dreaded pens but I am sure there would be more results than draws with GG.

How can you say that the golden goal is totally fair? what if the goal is off-side? or a dodgy pen? or didn't even cross the line? At least with pens both teams are on a level playing field, that's totally fair!!  Until now i have seen no better or fairer way of winning a cup tie.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 25, 2012, 11:21:57 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Silver goal  teams carry on after  a goal to the end of the half thereby giving the other side a chance but thats been tried before as well and not liked

cdrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 26, 2012, 09:01:19 pm by cdrover »
Instead of penalties, how about the crossbar challenge in the same format as penalties :thumbsup: a lot more interesting!!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 26, 2012, 09:49:34 pm by Donnywolf »

I rung him a couple of times but still no wiser

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on May 26, 2012, 09:58:24 pm by Donnywolf »

I have to say (for once with a factual basis) the Goal at Stokew was NOT a Golden goal nor a Silver Goal but a Promotion Goal (gloat gloat) ,,,, please check the Official Program

I too agree Penalties are just so random a way to decide a game like today. I dislike Sheff U but felt sorry for them in the way they lost BUT on the other hand they managed only a couple of shots on goal as against the attempts the Terriers managed

Who knows .... but something must be better than the current s**t system   

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 26, 2012, 10:00:09 pm by Barmby Rover »
I used to like the idea of a widening goal.

Goals should be made bigger anyway, since the game was invented the average height of players must have gone up by at least a foot. The widening of goals by two feet with a foot higher would make the number of goals per game increase significantly.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 26, 2012, 11:25:08 pm by MachoMadness »
I always thought penalties were better than golden goal - at least when you miss or score a penalty it isn't necessarily game over. Let a golden goal in and that's it. I don't see how that's any less heartbreaking than losing on a lottery.

Penalties are heartbreaking, but then so are so many losses. It's the easiest, simplest way to do it and it offers a definitive winner every time, with hardly any room for debate unless it's in exceptional circumstances. The last thing we need is another more complicated system for FIFA to balls up for everybody.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 26, 2012, 11:30:43 pm by RoversAlias »

I have to say (for once with a factual basis) the Goal at Stokew was NOT a Golden goal nor a Silver Goal but a Promotion Goal (gloat gloat) ,,,, please check the Official Program

I too agree Penalties are just so random a way to decide a game like today. I dislike Sheff U but felt sorry for them in the way they lost BUT on the other hand they managed only a couple of shots on goal as against the attempts the Terriers managed

Who knows .... but something must be better than the current s**t system   

It was a Golden Goal which is also informally a 'Promotion Goal'. The football rulebook states it is a Golden Goal.

If a team won a match with the golden goal rule in say the 4th Round of the Carling Cup, it wasn't referred to as a "Advance to the Quarter Final Goal".

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 27, 2012, 06:48:59 am by Donnywolf »
I agree that would be barking mad ...

...but if you look in the Official Program for this game it was listed as a Promotion Goal.

See thread "9 years since Stoke"

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 27, 2012, 07:57:07 am by auckleyflyer »
Try telling that to my 10y old. lost on pennos in Babworth tournament yesterday. Hit cross bar in extra time then missed his pen! gutted! still was a quiet drive back with him for once :)
Golden goal at least rewards positive play? although after 120min its not goner happen because its "golden".
only one way to sort it out??? fight fight fight!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012