Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 02:48:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: If you could Pick one player who has played for us in the past  (Read 7355 times)

Capmeister

• Forum Member
Re: If you could Pick one player who has played for us in the past
« Reply #30 on June 08, 2012, 08:20:23 pm by Capmeister »
Peter Kitchen. Watched the opening game of the Euros today and thought, no fecker can dribble. Peter Kitchen could. Peter Kitchen could weave through a whole side........and then some. He didnt just do it for Donny though, ask any Orient fan. He famously waltzed through a first division Arsenal back four when Orient were in the second tier. In the FA cup I think. When the cup was the holy grail and the BBC and ITV covered the team coaches weaving their way to Wembley. It's on some video or other somewhere. I once saw him just jump on this defender and start pummelling him cos he'd got fed up of having lumps kicked out of him. Skinny, scrawny Peter Kitchen!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on June 08, 2012, 08:34:03 pm by Standanista »
Peter Kitchen. Watched the opening game of the Euros today and thought, no fecker can dribble. Peter Kitchen could. Peter Kitchen could weave through a whole side........and then some. He didnt just do it for Donny though, ask any Orient fan. He famously waltzed through a first division Arsenal back four when Orient were in the second tier. In the FA cup I think. When the cup was the holy grail and the BBC and ITV covered the team coaches weaving their way to Wembley. It's on some video or other somewhere. I once saw him just jump on this defender and start pummelling him cos he'd got fed up of having lumps kicked out of him. Skinny, scrawny Peter Kitchen!
Kitch was just before my time but I saw him play once at BV, for Orient, in a night game when he and they panned us.  I well remember a sizeable contingent on the Main Stand terracing turning round and giving the director's box stick for their "perceived lack of investment" in first letting him go then not re-signing him when they had the chance, before he went back to Orient for a second stint.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on June 08, 2012, 08:35:32 pm by The Beast »
Richie Wellens, what a footballer! always had time on the ball, never misplaced a pass and always seemed to make the right decision.
       Can i be greedy and have Russ Wilcox as well, at this moment in time we're crying out for somebody like him, great centre half, great reader of the game, great leader!

biggle

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on June 08, 2012, 08:46:49 pm by biggle »
Agree with Wellens an absolute joy to watch in a Rovers shirt

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on June 08, 2012, 09:37:37 pm by Capmeister »
Kitch was just before my time but I saw him play once at BV, for Orient, in a night game when he and they panned us.  I well remember a sizeable contingent on the Main Stand terracing turning round and giving the director's box stick for their "perceived lack of investment" in first letting him go then not re-signing him when they had the chance, before he went back to Orient for a second stint.

He never wanted to leave Donny. He loved it here. Orient got a bargain. Had my photo taken with him at Swansea I think it was. I was in awe. He looked like some indigenous Mexican, shoulder length black hair and a drooping 'tache typical of the 70's. We'll not see his like again.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on June 08, 2012, 10:43:18 pm by Barmby Rover »
Billy Bremner as manager/coach. I don't think it would matter too much who we had as players then.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on June 08, 2012, 10:44:35 pm by Wellred »

He never wanted to leave Donny. He loved it here. Orient got a bargain. Had my photo taken with him at Swansea I think it was. I was in awe. He looked like some indigenous Mexican, shoulder length black hair and a drooping 'tache typical of the 70's. We'll not see his like again.

Had a long chat with him after the game at Brighton. Seems strange with a southern accent though.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on June 09, 2012, 01:04:20 pm by Dutch Uncle »
All time based on stats: Tom Keetley (180 league goals in 231 appearances)
Of those I have seen play: Alick Jeffrey
Of those still playing: Billy Sharp
Of those we might realistically sign: Stuart Nelson

bradford exile

• Forum Member
No contest. Although I think most of the names mentioned on tis thread are/were fabulous players, Alick Jeffrey was just SO much better. than any of them  That man was so bloody good he was scary. Every single England cap except full - including amateur. A Busby Babe with the 1950's equivalent of the pre contract agreement from the Great Man himself - except some gittish French lad then broke his leg at Ashton Gate. Alick was light years ahead of anyone else who has EVER played for the Rovers - including Harry Gregg.

BobG

Bob...Dead right there mate. Who was it said if Alick had signed for Busby, Bobby Charlton would never had got a game???.

I'll try to dig out the report

Regards

Ray

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on June 09, 2012, 10:55:13 pm by hoolahoop »
Syd Bycroft. Our defence has been an absolute shambles for far too long. Syd would whip them into shape.

I couldn't agree more ...........this is the man no hiding place from him. What a fantastic career he had with us.

From my time watching the Rovers  I would have to go with Peter Kitchen....he mesmurised me as well as oppo defenses.  :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 10:58:40 pm by hoolahoop »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012