Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 02:51:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: DONCASTER ROVERS: No hangover says ‘Deano’  (Read 8146 times)

burton_1989

• Forum Member
DONCASTER ROVERS: No hangover says ‘Deano’
« on June 06, 2012, 08:16:14 pm by burton_1989 »
DONCASTER Rovers’ boss Dean Saunders is under no illusions about the challenges facing the relegated club in League One next season.

“League One is going to be tough,” he told The Star.

“What we’ve got to guard against is a situation where everybody thinks we are just going to bounce straight back without any problems.

“On the other hand, what I don’t want, is players who were here last season suffering a hangover.

“Fortunately, we’ll have new players who will have no mental baggage and who will be absolutely thrilled to be here, thrilled to be playing in League One - and battling to get out of it.

“My attitude has to be the same; I don’t want to have a hangover from last season, either.

“As far as I’m concerned we’ll be starting with a clean slate.”

Not only will the club’s training pitches at Cantley Park be in tip-top condition when the players report back for pre-season training early next month, following work by the ground staff, but the inside of the main building, which doubles up as a canteen/relaxation area, will also have benefitted from a facelift.

“The building looks like a cricket pavilion but I’ve managed to find a bit of money, in addition to that being spent on the main pitch at the Keepmoat and at Cantley Park, to rejuvenate the inside of it to help create a better atmosphere,” said Saunders.

The Rovers boss says that no decision has yet been made on whether to re-launch the club’s Reserve team, scrapped during previous manager Sean O’Driscoll’s time in charge.

One of the problems faced by the club at the time was the fact that the football authorities refused to allow Rovers to continue to use the pitch at the nearby athletics stadium because it failed to meet minimum requirements.

The cost of hiring the Keepmoat Stadium for matches meant that it wasn’t a viable option to play reserve team games there.

But with Rovers set to take over the day-to-day running of the Keepmoat Stadium from July 1, costs of staging games there would be much less of an issue.

Nevertheless, finance will play a key role in the club’s decision.

“We are currently debating how much it would cost us,” said Saunders.

One of the arguments put forward in favour of the club running a reserve side next season, is that it would help develop young players signed from the Youth team.

But Saunders says the five players he has signed from Paul Wilson’s squad at the end of last season, would not directly benefit if the club were to run a second team.

“I’m going to loan them out so they wouldn’t be able to play in a reserve team,” he said. “But they could play in arranged games behind closed doors where I’d still be able to monitor their progress.”

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster/doncaster-rovers-no-hangover-says-deano-1-4617000

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
Re: DONCASTER ROVERS: No hangover says ‘Deano’
« Reply #1 on June 06, 2012, 08:29:32 pm by keyser_soze »
If he uses that 'mental baggage' line one more time!

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 06, 2012, 08:32:04 pm by Retdon1 »
“Fortunately, we’ll have new players who will have no mental baggage and who will be absolutely thrilled to be here, thrilled to be playing in League One - and battling to get out of it.                                                                                                                 

Does that sound like he will be targeting players from lower leagues by saying they will be thrilled to be playing league 1 football

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 06, 2012, 08:35:35 pm by donnyroversfc »
Good interview that, gives everyone an insight into just how difficult a job we face next season.

It will be interesting to see how this thread pans out...  :chair:

I've not mentioned is name in a while, but Saunders, i promise you Billy Kee would be thrilled to play in this league, and he'll battle as hard as anyone to help us battle our way back to the championship.  ;)

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 06, 2012, 08:59:43 pm by glosterred »
No hang over - they obviously didn't drink enough!

COYR

MartinB

« Reply #5 on June 06, 2012, 11:54:19 pm by MartinB »
Was prepared to back him....but his soundbites are increasingly sounding like he's full of shit.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 07, 2012, 12:19:49 am by dickos1 »
Nothing wrong with what he said! Unbelievable how people pick fault with every little thing that comes out if his mouth.

MartinB

« Reply #7 on June 07, 2012, 02:04:29 am by MartinB »
DONCASTER Rovers’ boss Dean Saunders is under no illusions about the challenges facing the relegated club in League One next season.
“League One is going to be tough,” he told The Star.

“What we’ve got to guard against is a situation where everybody thinks we are just going to bounce straight back without any problems.
“On the other hand, what I don’t want, is players who were here last season suffering a hangover.
“My attitude has to be the same; I don’t want to have a hangover from last season, either.
“As far as I’m concerned we’ll be starting with a clean slate.”

....which means the contracted players feel they can bounce back immediately or they have hangover? But new players have no mental baggage...did they not play anywhere else last year?

Not only will the club’s training pitches at Cantley Park be in tip-top condition when the players report back for pre-season training early next month, following work by the ground staff, but the inside of the main building, which doubles up as a canteen/relaxation area, will also have benefitted from a facelift.

“The building looks like a cricket pavilion but I’ve managed to find a bit of money, in addition to that being spent on the main pitch at the Keepmoat and at Cantley Park, to rejuvenate the inside of it to help create a better atmosphere,” said Saunders.

He found fifty quid and painted it?

The Rovers boss says that no decision has yet been made on whether to re-launch the club’s Reserve team, scrapped during previous manager Sean O’Driscoll’s time in charge.

One of the problems faced by the club at the time was the fact that the football authorities refused to allow Rovers to continue to use the pitch at the nearby athletics stadium because it failed to meet minimum requirements.

The cost of hiring the Keepmoat Stadium for matches meant that it wasn’t a viable option to play reserve team games there.

But with Rovers set to take over the day-to-day running of the Keepmoat Stadium from July 1, costs of staging games there would be much less of an issue.

Nevertheless, finance will play a key role in the club’s decision.

“We are currently debating how much it would cost us,” said Saunders.

One of the arguments put forward in favour of the club running a reserve side next season, is that it would help develop young players signed from the Youth team.

But Saunders says the five players he has signed from Paul Wilson’s squad at the end of last season, would not directly benefit if the club were to run a second team.

“I’m going to loan them out so they wouldn’t be able to play in a reserve team,” he said. “But they could play in arranged games behind closed doors where I’d still be able to monitor their progress.” So if you send them on loan you wont monitor progress? & how can they play in "friendlies" when they are on loan? or are we going to loan them to amateur teams?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 07, 2012, 07:22:21 am by dickos1 »
Exactly my point. Looking for negatives.
How do you know we're not signing players who all had good seasons, of course our players will be mentally scarred look at our record over past 60 games.
If they're on loan then obviously he won't be able to watch the majority of their games live unless he abandons our side.
What's wrong with updating the training ground??

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 07, 2012, 10:10:35 am by ctay »
It was a cricket pavillion Dean!!

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 07, 2012, 10:21:03 am by drfcsteve »
Dickos I wish I had your confidence in Dean, but you can't argue that he's forever saying one thing (usually what the fans want to hear), and then doing another.

A few weeks ago the reserve team was coming back, now he's actually finding out what the last manager found out that it's a lot more difficult than it seems. He talks about getting the highest quality players in and then implies we'll be looking at lower leagues for players who'll be over the moon to play in League One. These are just a couple of examples. I wouldn't have a problem if he said what his plans are and stuck to them.

He reminds me a lot of our current Mayor, he comes out with bold statements that he hopes will get the majority onside, and then realises at a later date that he has no chance of implementing them.

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 07, 2012, 10:28:03 am by inSODwetrust »
SOUND-BITE'S BARMY ARMY!

:chair:

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 07, 2012, 10:33:26 am by eastender »
What are the requirements needed to stage reserves games,because there are plenty of local teams that would surely benefit from a small rental of their ground namely Askern Villa,but do they have the facilities needed to be able to hold the reserves games there?

The problem DRFC had at the Keepmoat were the Changing rooms .
DRFC wouldn't pay to rent the main pitch for reserves games , so they were going to use 1 inside the running track (pitch 2) .
Unfortunately there's no changing rooms next to the pitch (a requirement ) , so that would have mean't  player's  having to walking from the main changing rooms, over the tarmac car park to reach the pitch which is against health and safety.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 07, 2012, 10:39:20 am by drfc1951 »
Some people will never back him no matter what.No doubt they wouldnt back the next manager either.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 07, 2012, 10:43:44 am by Wild Rover »
What are the requirements needed to stage reserves games,because there are plenty of local teams that would surely benefit from a small rental of their ground namely Askern Villa,but do they have the facilities needed to be able to hold the reserves games there?

DRFC wouldn't pay to rent the main pitch for reserves games , so they were going to use 1 inside the running track (pitch 2) .
Unfortunately there's no changing rooms next to the pitch (a requirement ) , so that would have mean't  player's  having to walking from the main changing rooms, over the tarmac car park to reach the pitch which is against health and safety.

I think you will find the "problem" is the pitch is "Open", nothing to do with changing rooms, simply that pitch is not enclosed.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 07, 2012, 10:53:34 am by Norfolk N Chance »
Dickos I wish I had your confidence in Dean, but you can't argue that he's forever saying one thing (usually what the fans want to hear), and then doing another.

A few weeks ago the reserve team was coming back, now he's actually finding out what the last manager found out that it's a lot more difficult than it seems. He talks about getting the highest quality players in and then implies we'll be looking at lower leagues for players who'll be over the moon to play in League One. These are just a couple of examples. I wouldn't have a problem if he said what his plans are and stuck to them.

He reminds me a lot of our current Mayor, he comes out with bold statements that he hopes will get the majority onside, and then realises at a later date that he has no chance of implementing them.

Whats the problem?

Cant you change your mind?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 07, 2012, 11:00:03 am by dickos1 »

I see it as being positive and enthusiastic, it's not his fault that we may not be able to afford the reserve team.
And certainly let's not start slagging off the players he's going to bring in before he actually does. The majority have been saying we need to bring lower league players in and develop them but as soon as dean says it it's wrong and he doesn't have a clue.
I understand he can't do anything right now but I just think its ridiculous.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 07, 2012, 11:03:24 am by eastender »

I think you will find the "problem" is the pitch is "Open", nothing to do with changing rooms, simply that pitch is not enclosed.

I  100 % remember reading about  a problem with the changing rooms and there location to the pitch . 

Can anyone confirm .  :)

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 07, 2012, 12:26:14 pm by Red wizard »
The changing rooms  was something to do with I seem to remember. As for the 5 youth player going out on loan they will be youth loans so they will be able to play friendlys I think.

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 07, 2012, 01:40:28 pm by Chris »
Some people will never back him no matter what.No doubt they wouldnt back the next manager either.

Leave it out, fans would back him if they had confidence in him. When he gives people confidence they will back him. It's really not hard.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 07, 2012, 01:59:26 pm by dickos1 »
Confidence shouldn't be an issue this early into a managers reign.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 07, 2012, 02:01:36 pm by Wild Rover »

I  100 % remember reading about  a problem with the changing rooms and there location to the pitch . 

I can't catergorically state the changing rooms didn't come into the equation, but if you search through FL rules for grounds, then the fact that there needs to be a fence of minimum 2.5mts high surrounding "Ground", then that stands out like a sore thumb.

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 07, 2012, 02:22:07 pm by Chris »
Confidence shouldn't be an issue this early into a managers reign.

Unfortunately you don't dictate when people can and cannot feel confident in someone's ability.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 07, 2012, 02:37:55 pm by drfcsteve »

I see it as being positive and enthusiastic, it's not his fault that we may not be able to afford the reserve team.
And certainly let's not start slagging off the players he's going to bring in before he actually does. The majority have been saying we need to bring lower league players in and develop them but as soon as dean says it it's wrong and he doesn't have a clue.

As usual you've missed the point because of your blind faith. I don't care if we can't afford the reserve team or if we get lower league players, my point is why does Dean say we're bringing back the reserve team and getting high quality players? No one can trust a word that comes out his mouth because so far the majority of the things he says he'll do, he doesn't.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 07, 2012, 02:44:27 pm by dickos1 »
Maybe he was told yes you can have a reserve team and now people are going back on their word to him. I just love how everything is his fault. It's beyond ridiculous.
And Chris I don't dictate anything with regards people losing confidence in him, but the guy has been in charge for 39 games if people are so fickle to lose confidence in a manager in that length of time when he hasn't had a Penny to spend then that's upto them.
Go look at this forum 39 games into sods tenure and you'll see the same old shite about him, yet John gave him the chance and ignored the clowns and I'm glad he's ignoring them again.

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 07, 2012, 04:00:13 pm by donnyroversfc »
Maybe he was told yes you can have a reserve team and now people are going back on their word to him. I just love how everything is his fault. It's beyond ridiculous.

I said that on the yorkshire forum (well not those exact words). Dean seemed pretty adament from the start that we we're going to be having a reserves next season, i don't think he's have said it if he didn't have guarentees.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 07, 2012, 07:16:34 pm by Standanista »
Space filler for The Star because there's no real news to report.  In the same manner that Saunders saying he's redecorated Cantley Park is generating fevered debate on here for want of anything else to chew over.

I'm off to watch the Euros, three Tests against South Africa and the Olympics, and will be back when there's something to talk about.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 07, 2012, 09:45:56 pm by MachoMadness »

I remember reading something about this. They're too far from the pitch to meet regulations I believe. Not sure about the other regulations but it doesn't really matter if they break one rule or all of them, we still can't use it and I do think a lack of reserve team cost us these last couple of seasons with regards to fitness.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 08, 2012, 07:20:33 am by Norfolk N Chance »

As usual you've missed the point because of your blind faith. I don't care if we can't afford the reserve team or if we get lower league players, my point is why does Dean say we're bringing back the reserve team and getting high quality players? No one can trust a word that comes out his mouth because so far the majority of the things he says he'll do, he doesn't.

And dont like a word that is typed on your key board!

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 08, 2012, 09:27:40 am by drfcsteve »

And dont like a word that is typed on your key board!

I don't understand a word that's typed on your keyboard!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012