Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 02:47:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Will Friend be the next to go?  (Read 2012 times)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Will Friend be the next to go?
« Reply #1 on June 08, 2012, 08:53:40 pm by Donnywolf »
IMO ..... no

Tommy Spurr will be next ...then Georgie Boy
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 08:21:42 am by DONNYWOLF »

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 09, 2012, 12:12:51 am by Sammy Chung was King »
In my opinion if we can get a half decent amount for George Friend snap it up because i just don't rate him,i knew we were in trouble when he was made captain,he has very few of the major attributes needed to be a good defender,we badly need a leader of the back four,someone who wins most headers,positionally pretty good,and either quick himself or the other centre-half needs some pace,we need a partnership that plays week in week out :rtid:

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 09, 2012, 01:25:16 am by MachoMadness »
Got to disagree with you there Sammy, when he was moved to centre-back and still fit George was by far one of the best and most consistent players we had. He's not the strong bruiser type but he has the more technical parts of the job down to a T. If we had a Mills type player I reckon we'd have a solid defensive partnership for next season. If we had to keep a player above all others I'd probably pick him before most others.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 09, 2012, 06:55:04 am by Nudga »
I've got to agree with Sammy. I thought positionally he was awful last season and always seemed to be left on his arse. His distribution wasn't the best either and he isn't nasty enough to be a top draw centre half.

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 09, 2012, 09:56:09 am by southwestexile »
Agreed.  Not great as a left back but good at centre half, just needed a quality partner and consistency in terms of fitness - the plague that dragged us down!

He'd be an absolute star in league 1.

But as said earlier, he'll be off in the footsteps of Mr.Spurr and we'll be left scratching around for something sub-standard and probably injury prone - Rio Ferdinand?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 09, 2012, 10:01:35 am by The Red Baron »
Got to disagree with you there Sammy, when he was moved to centre-back and still fit George was by far one of the best and most consistent players we had. He's not the strong bruiser type but he has the more technical parts of the job down to a T. If we had a Mills type player I reckon we'd have a solid defensive partnership for next season. If we had to keep a player above all others I'd probably pick him before most others.

I noticed that when he played with Lockwood the pairing worked well (eg Coventry away). However, whenever he played with Beye we were all over the shop at the back (eg Birmingham and Ipswich at home). Not a commanding defender at all and has poor positional sense.

I wouldn't be happy to see him go, but there are other players we currently have (Spurr, Coppinger) who I'd much rather keep. In any case, I don't think we're in a position to refuse any reasonable offer. 

TinyPortal © 2005-2012