Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 06:39:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Doncaster Sporting Club  (Read 6945 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Doncaster Sporting Club
« on June 23, 2012, 09:49:06 am by The Red Baron »
Gavin Baldwin's comments about closer working between the clubs who use the Keepmoat seems to have ruffled some feathers on the Dons Forum.

http://forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=530714&tsmp=1340441039

They don't like idea of the red and white away strip one bit!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

leedshayter

• Forum Member
Re: Doncaster Sporting Club
« Reply #1 on June 23, 2012, 10:23:01 am by leedshayter »
Fcuk em then !

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 23, 2012, 10:25:26 am by MrFrost »
Set of tossers.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 23, 2012, 10:36:14 am by roverstillidie91 »
If they don't like it tell them to get out lol

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 23, 2012, 10:45:01 am by Filo »
They only get about 100 or so at home games don`t they, it`s not as though the whole of Doncaster is up in arms about it, is it?

If they don`t want to embrace the idea then let them pay their own admin costs, as long as it does n`t impact on the stadium or Rovers finances then I could n`t give a toss what they do, it`s their money they`re wasting!

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 23, 2012, 10:53:32 am by roverstillidie91 »
One ridiculous statement on that forum

Something to do with us getting biased reporting in the Free Press or something

its blatantly obvious we are going to get more publicity and they wouldn't sell the papers if we didn't get more coverage as we are bigger by a country mile

they should just accept it because we are the main tenants now

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 23, 2012, 10:59:55 am by mushRTID »
Maybe they should accept rugby is shit.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 23, 2012, 11:07:07 am by Filo »
One ridiculous statement on that forum

Something to do with us getting biased reporting in the Free Press or something

its blatantly obvious we are going to get more publicity and they wouldn't sell the papers if we didn't get more coverage as we are bigger by a country mile

they should just accept it because we are the main tenants now

We`ve always been the main tenants, we`ve always paid more rent than them for the same facilities, the difference now is we manage the stadium and we call the shots now, within reason, not the council, and certainly not a club that can only muster a handful of people to watch them, they need to remember, without the Rovers the KM stadium would never have been built and they`d still be playing at Stainy dog track or even out of business by now!

GM-MarkB

« Reply #8 on June 23, 2012, 02:27:51 pm by GM-MarkB »
I had cause to speak to Paul Goodwin this week following the Free Press stories in this weeks edition. Very misleading. It states that the Mustangs have recently come under the Sporting Club banner. Well I can categorically state we haven't. We haven't even been approached. It actually relates to the Juniors but I won't bore you with the full run down suffice to say I put him straight.

As for the RL forum, just looks like one bloke talking to himself  :lol:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 23, 2012, 02:36:45 pm by Filo »
I had cause to speak to Paul Goodwin this week following the Free Press stories in this weeks edition. Very misleading. It states that the Mustangs have recently come under the Sporting Club banner. Well I can categorically state we haven't. We haven't even been approached. It actually relates to the Juniors but I won't bore you with the full run down suffice to say I put him straight.

So the question is, if approached would the Mustangs consider playing under the sporting club banner?

GM-MarkB

« Reply #10 on June 23, 2012, 03:27:36 pm by GM-MarkB »

So the question is, if approached would the Mustangs consider playing under the sporting club banner?

I can't really answer that until such time as we are asked and we've had a chat about it. It would be remiss of me to say yes or no without knowing the full facts of what it entails. Never say never.....but part of our identity is the Green and Gold uniform we wear.

Changing that isn't up for discussion
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 03:30:24 pm by GM-MarkB »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 23, 2012, 04:51:04 pm by RedJ »
you never know Mark, could be scope for a green and gold away top for Rovers ;)

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 23, 2012, 05:31:14 pm by newyankee »

As someone who has supported the Rovers since 1950 and the Dons since 1960, and actually worked for the Dons in 1990, I think I have a right to ask why Rovers supporters think they are better than anyone else.

Put the boot on  the other foot, would you take kindly to having a blue and yellow away strip? Wouldn't you be on here  complaining?

The truth is that as has been said we have three joint owners, the Dons have Carl Hall and a couple of local businessmen.  In the end they will do what they feel is best for both teams whether you, I or anyone else likes it.

However, to come on here with the tirade of bad sportsmanship shows a complete lack of understanding of the position ALL Doncaster sporting clubs suffer from, apathy. 

Rugby, League or Union, will never have the support the Rovers have, but how many on this board keep going on about potential Rovers supporters travelling to Leeds, Sheffield and Barnsley. 

Face it, Doncaster people are fair weather supporters of anything that is successful.  Where are the 25,000 who went to Wembley or the 5 to 7,000 who went to the Dons when they were in what was to become Super League.

In the long run, the only way Rovers running the Keepmoat will succeed, is for all users to be  united.

lee.j09

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 23, 2012, 05:51:52 pm by lee.j09 »

As someone who has supported the Rovers since 1950 and the Dons since 1960, and actually worked for the Dons in 1990, I think I have a right to ask why Rovers supporters think they are better than anyone else.

Put the boot on  the other foot, would you take kindly to having a blue and yellow away strip? Wouldn't you be on here  complaining?

The truth is that as has been said we have three joint owners, the Dons have Carl Hall and a couple of local businessmen.  In the end they will do what they feel is best for both teams whether you, I or anyone else likes it.

However, to come on here with the tirade of bad sportsmanship shows a complete lack of understanding of the position ALL Doncaster sporting clubs suffer from, apathy. 

Rugby, League or Union, will never have the support the Rovers have, but how many on this board keep going on about potential Rovers supporters travelling to Leeds, Sheffield and Barnsley. 

Face it, Doncaster people are fair weather supporters of anything that is successful.  Where are the 25,000 who went to Wembley or the 5 to 7,000 who went to the Dons when they were in what was to become Super League.

In the long run, the only way Rovers running the Keepmoat will succeed, is for all users to be  united.

100% Agreed

the dons dont use the full ground when they play infact only half to three quaters of the east stand, so why should they pay full rent? less stewards less kiosks less turnstile staff etc.

it makes sense to join up and help each other.

yep dons dont have a big fan base but neither do the rovers! at the end of the day it comes down to the same factor doncaster people have a pritty pothetic veiw on sport and dont support any sport no matter what it is!

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 23, 2012, 05:53:06 pm by Retdon1 »
Well said newyankee i am as big a rovers fan as the next and occasionlly follow the dons too and all this slagging off of the dons is shocking really it wasnt all that long ago that they got bigger crowds than rovers, were not that well supported our selfs and next season is only gonna get worse so how people think were all high and mighty is beyond me.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 23, 2012, 06:11:03 pm by newyankee »

Thanks for the support.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 23, 2012, 06:40:53 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
The idea of a sporting club is good but let it evolve rather than do similar to what Cardiffs owners have done and mess with things with no proven reason for doing so. No need for the Dons to play in red and white or to adopt a Viking logo, tho I do think the stadium should be red and white.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 23, 2012, 07:28:33 pm by MachoMadness »
Maybe they should accept rugby is shit.

This might be my favourite post ever.

In all seriousness though, I'm not sure how much away kits matter. Our away kit changes drastically every year these days, so I doubt a blue and yellow one would cause as much unrest as any other kit that's not lovely, lovely green. I'm aware it's probably a small part of a bigger picture but that seems to be the biggest issue on that forum.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 23, 2012, 07:42:15 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Dons will be wearing red and white hoops next season as their away kit!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 23, 2012, 07:46:56 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Someone best tell those on that forum we had a blue and gold away shirt not long back.

Few points, why are they so much against the football club. Surely it would work well to work together? Gavin baldwin made a great point the other night, why three marketing teams, why three lots of payroll etc? His idea to do it for them saves them money and brings in a bit more for us helping both out.

Also who really cares about an away shirt? why not have us wearing their blue away and them our hoops? Win win surely? seems a great idea to me, but they seem real paranoid about rovers when in reality both can help each other. if their fans don't want the financial benefit then that's foolish given they're hardly flush with cash or fans. Currently their fixtures aren't even advertised on rovers match days, I'm sure they would under any agreement, surely a benefit?

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 23, 2012, 08:36:45 pm by newyankee »

It doesn't appear to br the Dons against the idea, just some of their fans, as it would be Rovers fans if the other way. As I said BFYP, those who OWN the clubs will make the decisions, not the speccies.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 24, 2012, 08:51:13 am by The Red Baron »
As the original poster, I'm all in favour of closer links between the clubs. We don't have a strong enough supporter base for all sports in Donny (not just Rovers) and anything that strengthens that base has to be a good thing. I was rather taken aback by the hostility of some of the Dons fans to the idea, but soon found that was mirrorred on here!

As for a blue and gold away strip- well, those don't strike me as "football colours" but if we were to adopt that as part of a partnership with the Dons, I'd be all in favour. It would have to be better than  that nondescript white thing with a black V we're going to be playing in this season!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 24, 2012, 09:27:16 am by wilts rover »
Shame on you Red Baron, I thought you should have noted this! To all those moaning about us playing in blue and gold - what colour was Rovers first kit?

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Doncaster_Rovers/Doncaster_Rovers.htm

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on June 24, 2012, 09:35:51 am by The Red Baron »
Shame on you Red Baron, I thought you should have noted this! To all those moaning about us playing in blue and gold - what colour was Rovers first kit?

Yes, I knew that, but it doesn't look like a football kit, does it?

Before Don Revie decided to make Leeds look like Real Madrid, they used to play in blue and gold. I rest my case!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 24, 2012, 09:39:16 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Before Don Revie decided to make Leeds look like Real Madrid, they used to play in blue and gold. I rest my case!

What about the away shirt we had first season at the keepmoat?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 24, 2012, 10:00:18 am by wilts rover »

Yes and thats the closest they ever got to being Real Madrid (with blue and gold being their away kit - same as their rugby team). I do agree that the design looks as though it should be on the 3.15 at Newmarket but my point is DRFC do have a historic connection with blue and gold, the non-football colours that Brazil wear.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on June 24, 2012, 01:35:13 pm by The Red Baron »
Do you remember when we DID play in yellow shirts (replete with East Riding Sucks logo) and blue shorts away from home? I don't think we won a match in that rig.

TheRev

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 24, 2012, 03:11:36 pm by TheRev »
Dons will be wearing red and white hoops next season as their away kit!

Why not get Wigan to play their home games at the Keepmoat?

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on June 24, 2012, 04:02:11 pm by newyankee »
  Sorry for the sarcasm Rev, but they already have a much better ground at the DW Stadium.  Now there is a man who has put his   money where his mouth is, Dave Whelan.

We talk about our lack of fan base, but what he has done for Wigan Athletic with the two Manchesters, Bolton, Blackburn and Burnley picking up football supporters from the Wigan Area.  We worry about Leeds, Sheffield and Barnsley, they are not in the same ballpark.

We keep going on about being a small team, we were much larger than Wigan when they began their race for the Premiership.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 24, 2012, 07:25:19 pm by newyankee »

Just thought that Rovers supporters should know that last season we were relegated from the Championship leaving us in League One. 

The way the Dons are playing in League One, they look like being in the Championship next season. OK, it's the Rugby League Championship, but as it stands the clubs are going in opposite directions.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012