Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 05:22:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: where would you be happy?  (Read 9816 times)

colin cramb

• Forum Member
where would you be happy?
« on July 11, 2012, 08:53:32 pm by colin cramb »
So come may 2013, what would you class as a succesful season? I'd take 10th right now  :scarf: :rtid:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

paddy hoops

• Forum Member
Re: where would you be happy?
« Reply #1 on July 11, 2012, 09:11:10 pm by paddy hoops »
Anywhere in the top half at least but i don't see why we can't get the into playoffs to be honest.
I mean its not as if anyone can say we're punching above our weight anymore is it. Surely a playoff finish can't be out of reach for us next season.
I have absolutely no fear of us getting  relegated though so that'll be a nice change.

COME ON YOU HOOOOOOPS!!!!!  :scarf:

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #2 on July 11, 2012, 09:22:34 pm by Rovin Reporter »
Rovers are going to playing to half empty stands and not just away from home . Teams with vertically no expectations at all and a Rovers team of his own making so his future is dependant on getting at least a playoff place and is also mine .

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 11, 2012, 09:32:06 pm by Nudga »
Ha ha, teams with vertically no expectations?? that's a bit of a contradiction.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 11, 2012, 09:56:21 pm by jonnydog »
Top half ideal, anywhere above bottom 6 I'd be happy with. Stability, teamwork and digging in is what I'm hoping to see achieved this season.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 11, 2012, 10:04:36 pm by dknward2 »
Top ten for me nice if we could get playoff but unless we get another 6/7 players in with min 80 league 2 games if not higher up

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #6 on July 11, 2012, 10:58:27 pm by Rovin Reporter »
Top half ideal, anywhere above bottom 6 I'd be happy with. Stability, teamwork and digging in is what I'm hoping to see achieved this season.
All that for the 3 rd highest priced season ticket in the league nice one.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 11, 2012, 11:15:08 pm by steve@dcfd »
Dean has been given one of the best budgets in this league. Therefore he must be aiming for a top six finish. Anything less will not be good enough. We must win all or a majority of our home games, to encourage more supporters. It will not be easy but with his players he must show he can win games in this league.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 12, 2012, 12:11:18 am by jonnydog »
All that for the 3 rd highest priced season ticket in the league nice one.

That wasn't the question, the question was where would I be happy. Besides my season ticket was a lot more last year and look how that panned out, any improvement on that is a positive in that respect cocker ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 12:15:02 am by jonnydog »

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 12, 2012, 12:39:53 am by Snods Shinpad 2 »

Happy: Top six.
Expect: Mid table to lower end.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 12, 2012, 01:27:08 am by Akinfenwa »
I'd be pretty happy with 16th upwards at the minute providing that there are signs of progress from the mess that we came down with and have the makings of a good team.

This could change however, depending on the quality of players that come in or go out. If good players are brought in then naturally expectations will go up.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 12, 2012, 08:08:13 am by The Red Baron »

Happy: Top six.
Expect: Mid table to lower end.

That's about how I see it. I think our season will be similar to Scunny's last term. Struggles early on, maybe a spell in the bottom four and finally pulling clear to finish somewhere between 12th and 20th.

I know I'll get hammered for this, but the only way I can see this scenario being avoided is for the board to loosen the purse strings now and allow Saunders to bring in some of the players he wants. Then gamble that we will get offers for some of the high earners between now and the end of August.

Although I'm not quite predicting a doomsday scenario- relegation to League 2- I still think the effects of a poor season in League One would have serious repercussions in terms of lost support. We simply HAVE to be competitive this season or we risk throwing away everything we've achieved since 1998.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 12, 2012, 08:42:33 am by DonnyNoel »
Happy with top ten. We've been a "losing side" for 18 months and it takes a lot to reverse that negative momentum. Not many teams in L1 scare me but with the squad still a long way from being finalised it's hard to predict.

DRFC-PERKINS

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 12, 2012, 08:58:17 am by DRFC-PERKINS »
Not so bothered about where we finish, we need a enjoyable season for the supporters. It's a entertainment industry, therefore that is what we need, the club are doing there part, now it's time for the playing and coaching staff to do theirs.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 12, 2012, 09:16:53 am by Mr1Croft »
How many teams have a budget bigger than ours? How we can have one of the biggest budgets in the league and expect to finish in 16th. And apparentley that is the Boards fault for not giving Saunders more money?

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 12, 2012, 09:33:18 am by DonnyNoel »
How many teams have a budget bigger than ours? How we can have one of the biggest budgets in the league and expect to finish in 16th. And apparentley that is the Boards fault for not giving Saunders more money?

What %age of that budget is already allocated though on players that we either can't afford to keep or get off the treatment table? If we don't sign anyone else then we may struggle and we'll still have one of the biggest budgets in the league.  ;)

I'm not saying that the board have to give Deano more money, just that as this moment in time I don't think its as easy as saying "top 6 budget = top 6 finish".

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 12, 2012, 10:09:33 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I'm sorry but any negative thoughts are a little silly IMO.  We've a big budget and still despite the drop in ST one of the best ST sales in the division, one of the best stadiums, likely after a few wins a decent crowd behind us (let's be honest two or 3 wins early on all of a suddent the fickle crowd will flood back), a decent side as it is and the potential to improve on what we have.  I also wouldn't be surprised if the budget was further increased in coming weeks out of necessity.  I also expect to see movement in and out but furthermore unlike some, I actually think Saunders could get us playing way, the potential is there in him and we'll see how he does, I don't think he's half as bad as last season showed.

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 12, 2012, 10:16:02 am by Alan_Rovers »
As long as we don't sell the soul of our club to a football agent again then I'll be happy.

My heart says we will win the league with a record number of points. My head says with Saunders as boss we'll be lucky to avoid relegation.

donnyallday

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 12, 2012, 02:02:16 pm by donnyallday »
Top 6. SORRY, WE ARE DONCASTER ROVERS!!!!!

We are s big fish in this league, dont sell yourself short.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 12, 2012, 02:39:30 pm by roverstillidie91 »
We arent going to finish in the top 10 nevermind the top 6th

Id say below mid table

Bit un realistic expectations going to be a lot of disapointed fans then

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 12, 2012, 07:48:53 pm by steve@dcfd »
We should finish in the top six, the budget given to Dean is one of the best in the division. Ok part of that will be top earners going out. But if they were all still here and we have added a winger with championship qualities a striker although 36 with championship qualities and a midfield player with hunger to succeed. So we don't want excuses we want a team that can win over 25 games this year at least, majority at home to get the fans back. If all we do,with either the players who are here now or new ones, is finished 16ththen Dean should be sacked at the end of the season. I want to see the team succeed this season, the budget is big enough according to Gavin, Dean works hard enough so there should be no negativity. Dean should make sure the players at his disposal produce the wins which ever way he chooses to play and sixth spot should be a minimum goal.

DC-

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 15, 2012, 12:36:42 am by DC- »
Mid-table. Rebuilding takes time.

streatham dave

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 15, 2012, 10:22:31 am by streatham dave »
Happy 6th or 10th with jpt win.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 15, 2012, 12:45:59 pm by Standanista »
Play-offs.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 15, 2012, 01:41:45 pm by BigH »
Mid-table if that means:

i) confidence restored throughout the club
ii) the makings of a decent young side that shows the potential to hold its own higher up the league
iii) some decent performances/wins against the locals
iv) a bit of excitement with a decent cup run; we haven't had one for years
v) the emergence of one or two new players that get the crowd going

I'm not really into this Saunders out thing. He got lucky landing the job last year but from Christmas onwards and the sale of Sharp he was stuffed. Putting the occasional bit of bollockology aside, Deano deserves a crack if for no better reason than I can listen to him and he is a positive, upbeat bloke. Don't underestimate the value of that in inspiring a team. However, if 15 games in it's not happening then I'd expect someone new to come in. Just can't see the three amigos letting things slip further.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 15, 2012, 02:00:02 pm by River Don »
I am expecting the play-offs. If we don't manage that, it'll depend on how we've performed and whether or not there are signs of progress. Finish below halfway and I think serious questions will have to be asked.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 15, 2012, 03:40:26 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Ok,

Lets get realistic: We have one of the biggest budgets in the division. Yes, true, but apparently we are already £1m over that budget, (according to directors) so there will be no new players coming in until some of the bigger earners disappear. I'm thinking Stock, Beye (who hasn't reported back for training anyway) Friend, Coppinger. Will we get money for any of them? Stock and Beye, probably not. Friend, yes. Coppinger a small fee maybe. Do note that no-one is rushing in to buy any of our contracted players. Why? Because they are waiting until we HAVE to get rid of them becasue we have no choice.
We currently have 15 players (not counting the youth team who have signed 1st professional contracts) It looks like Beye has gone of his own accord. We have 2 goalkeepers. That leaves us with 12 seasoned outfield players. Martis didn't plat at Cleethorpes yesterday because he is injured. He will be injured for most of the season (again!!) How many games will Stock and Woods play this season? (If they are still here)

IMO we need to sign 10 players to have cover for each position, and we can't. Full stop, end of story. No, it doesn't make good reading, but I'm trying to be as realistic as possible. Anywhere above the bottom 4 and a BIG re-building process will be a result.

ps. Does anyone know how many tickets we have actually sold, because there has never been anything on the officila site. All the club has said is 'Season Ticket sales have exceeded all expectations. Really???

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 15, 2012, 04:46:57 pm by drfcsteve »
One of the biggest budgets in the league - anything other than top 6 and Dean will have to have a very good excuse.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on July 15, 2012, 08:19:23 pm by BigH »
Like I've said before it's only a 'big' budget by default and the huge drag effect of dropping down a division with a large number of players on Championship wages. You'll probably find that Portsmouth also have a big budget for the same reason - and they've only got half a dozen on the books! The longer it goes on without anyone making a bid for people, the more I think the shareholders will tend to the view that they should keep what they have at the moment and have another go at offloading in January. Dean's made his position clear; he wants a settled squad at least a week before the season begins.

If I were the Board I'd probably want a year of financial consolidation even at the expense of any promotion ambitions. That means that even if we're there or there abouts at Christmas and someone comes in for one of the higher earners then they will go. Perhaps the only thing that might change the outlook is if the crowds come flooding back. Don't see it happening myself - well not this year - but would love to be proved wrong.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 15, 2012, 08:34:25 pm by steve@dcfd »
In the forum for the future Gavin said that the the three owners have given Dean one of the biggest budgets in division one it is not a budget by default. Only keeping all the high earners would make it a high budget by default, but that not in the clubs plan. Three of those players at least are In the plans of the club to leave. Also I find it confusing that Beye is supposed to be contracted yet he is not in training. Therefore Dean should tell him to turn up or cancel his contract, if there is one, then his money will be available.
The only way you get the crowds back is to win games especially at home. Dean job is to utilise the players he has to achieve that, whether he keeps the high earners or not.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012