Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 09:12:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Give Saunders a chance  (Read 17767 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Give Saunders a chance
« on July 24, 2012, 11:32:55 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
My message to the owners. How can he be expected to push us on with no players? Positive is his signings look good and he's getting the best out of Bennett now.

But, he needs resource to build a defensive unit, without it we've no chance. The tipping point is here, they just have to put up with a bigger expense and let him get defenders in quick. Ridiculous situation.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Give Saunders a chance
« Reply #1 on July 24, 2012, 11:35:35 pm by Filo »
Yep I agree with every word of that, KM3 bite the bullet and let the manager do his stuff, there`s always the January transfer window to try and offload big earners!

The austerity within the club is too much too fast, we are strangling growth!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:40:19 pm by Filo »

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 24, 2012, 11:52:12 pm by Chris »
Out of interest, just how many games into the season do you give him?

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 25, 2012, 12:02:22 am by Barmby Rover »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 25, 2012, 12:04:58 am by BobG »
He'll be here for longer than that Barmby. Unfortunately. He's got a bloody long contract signed up. We won't be able to pay him off.

I notice, btw, that the penny still doesn't seem to have dropped amongst most of the cognoscenti on here. Not you Barms old mate, but there's plenty.

BobG

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 25, 2012, 12:09:43 am by dickos1 »
I think your missing the point, give Saunders a chance is a message to the board to give him a chance of winning some games.
It's embarrassing that people are having a go at Saunders when all he has at the minute is that squad.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 25, 2012, 12:10:59 am by MrFrost »
Speaking to an ex well known member of Rovers staff who was in the away end tonight. Reckons we are a sinking ship, with the board 100% reluctant to invest until ALL of the high earners have gone.

Tonight showed just how weak our squad is, and if the ones who are expected to leave do leave, then we are going to have to act quickly just to put a team out, let alone have any kind of strength in depth.

We are going to struggle, that much is certain.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 25, 2012, 12:18:47 am by BobG »
Lol Mr Frost :) I bet you a million quid that you can repeat that post a thousand times and more than 80% of the posters on here will either:

q) ignore it, or
b) forget it, or
c) tell you you're talking crap!

The Titanic tendancy has hardly been a secret this last 3 or 4 months has it? But how many of the posts today have been going on about signing 'good players' for here, there and everywhere?  Dream world.

I wish it wasn't so. I really do. I've spent a very large number of years investing emotion, time and money in DRFC. But this is the second worst set of circumstances and climate I have ever seen.

BobG

BobG

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 25, 2012, 12:23:34 am by Alan_Rovers »
Very disappointed tonight. We were outplayed by Rotherham and had it not been for a few saves from Gary Woods, they could have stuck five or six past us.

Not even I'm going to blame Saunders though. The man is a clown and I think he should sign a few defenders, but its a lack strength in depth that is going to be our biggest problem.

He can't exactly be expected to sign 11 new players before the season starts, so we're probably just going to have to consolidate this season.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 25, 2012, 12:23:58 am by dickos1 »
Bob we've already signed 3 very good players, so it's not really dream world my friend.
I'm convinced we will start the season with 5 or 6 new players with no more leaving after friend. And then we will be looking at a good season ahead.
You don't believe that I know but wait and see.

pubteam

« Reply #10 on July 25, 2012, 12:36:35 am by pubteam »
Lol Mr Frost :) I bet you a million quid that you can repeat that post a thousand times and more than 80% of the posters on here will either:

q) ignore it, or
b) forget it, or

The Titanic tendancy has hardly been a secret this last 3 or 4 months has it? But how many of the posts today have been going on about signing 'good players' for here, there and everywhere?  Dream world.

I wish it wasn't so. I really do. I've spent a very large number of years investing emotion, time and money in DRFC. But this is the second worst set of circumstances and climate I have ever seen.

BobG

BobG

What are you out to prove, BobG?

I've no problem with you airing your views/knowledge, but what's with the whole "I'm the only person on here who knows what's going on" act?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 25, 2012, 08:07:01 am by The Red Baron »
My message to the owners. How can he be expected to push us on with no players? Positive is his signings look good and he's getting the best out of Bennett now.

But, he needs resource to build a defensive unit, without it we've no chance. The tipping point is here, they just have to put up with a bigger expense and let him get defenders in quick. Ridiculous situation.

I can't say I'm a fan of Saunders, but I have a huge amount of sympathy for him. Your post is spot on. Either the Board allow him to sign half a dozen players before the start of the season or we will be in the same boat as we were last year- one point from seven games.

To be honest, I wouldn't blame Saunders if he walked.

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 25, 2012, 08:29:01 am by inSODwetrust »
Didn't Saunders have a good enough crack of the whip last season??

Second chance Saunders! Lucky, lucky man!

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 25, 2012, 08:38:30 am by SkellowRover »
You all talk sh*t, stop demanding from the KM2 because they are the saviours of the club and are not here for other reasons apart from their love of the club. They will dig deep into their pockets, you will see when we have the best squad in the division in 2 and a half weeks when the season kicks off against York, and the players we get will be so good technically and so fit they wouldn't have needed a preseason.

/sarcasm off

p.s. hopefully peoples rose tinted glasses are gradually slipping off.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 25, 2012, 08:41:16 am by Chris Black come back »

q) ignore it, or
b) forget it, or

BobG

BobG

What are you out to prove, BobG?

I've no problem with you airing your views/knowledge, but what's with the whole "I'm the only person on here who knows what's going on" act?

Ditto. Bob and his conspiracy theories have become a running joke with my mates. The truth as we all know well is that the club overreached itself during the Championship years and we are now having to cut our cloth accordingly and balance the books, with most of our established players having to leave - most probably without a fee. They will be replaced by players on much lower wages and doubtless less natural ability. This is hardly a secret yet Bob and his 'grassy knoll' pop up every week suggesting shadowy goings-on.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 25, 2012, 08:44:57 am by Filo »
You all talk sh*t, stop demanding from the KM2 because they are the saviours of the club and are not here for other reasons apart from their love of the club. They will dig deep into their pockets, you will see when we have the best squad in the division in 2 and a half weeks when the season kicks off against York, and the players we get will be so good technically and so fit they wouldn't have needed a preseason.

/sarcasm off

Rather than post things you claim to know in a cryptic fashion, for the good of the club, you should reveal what you claim to know in plain laymans terms, that`s if you really care about the club, or do you care more about the "look at me I know something" attitude you seem to be creating for yourself

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #16 on July 25, 2012, 08:56:32 am by Rovin Reporter »
Are you listening J/R & co give Saunders a chance and stop pissing him off! By dithering over his budget , any possible positives of the new season have all gone , fans are NOT buying into the new term because of past issues so it would be nice to hear what positives are to taken from current lack of activity in the market.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 10:07:50 am by Rovin Reporter »

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 25, 2012, 10:17:02 am by Donnybax »
I feel sorry Saunders ATM. The board had done plenty signing cotterill, Blake and syers when we're already over budget. One player to leave could mean about 2 or 3 players in I think we just need one to go to set the ball rolling

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #18 on July 25, 2012, 10:22:05 am by Rovin Reporter »
It's all dithering these players are going anyway , so why cut of their noses it counter productive .

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 25, 2012, 11:25:25 am by SkellowRover »

/sarcasm off

Rather than post things you claim to know in a cryptic fashion, for the good of the club, you should reveal what you claim to know in plain laymans terms, that`s if you really care about the club, or do you care more about the "look at me I know something" attitude you seem to be creating for yourself

If you can't see for yourself that things aren't right with the fact we have a very small scratch squad with the exception of 2-3 players that is made up of high earners the club want gone, journeymen and 1st year pro kids with a little over 2 weeks to go until the season kicks off then i guess all must be rosy in the garden with our owners that are worth over half a billion pounds.
God help us if we get half a dozen players injured!

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 25, 2012, 11:48:24 am by inSODwetrust »
"God help us if we get half a dozen players injured!"

They wouldn't sack the manager would they?? Surely?? Oh wait, yes they would.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on July 25, 2012, 01:28:00 pm by Filo »

/sarcasm off

If you can't see for yourself that things aren't right with the fact we have a very small scratch squad with the exception of 2-3 players that is made up of high earners the club want gone, journeymen and 1st year pro kids with a little over 2 weeks to go until the season kicks off then i guess all must be rosy in the garden with our owners that are worth over half a billion pounds.
God help us if we get half a dozen players injured!

I can see for myself that at this moment the squad is not competitive, I`m not saying nor do I assume all is rosey in the garden, equally I don`t profess to know inside information, if I did and I thought it was to the detriment and well being of the club, I would speak out, I would n`t keep things cryptic and tell people to work things out for themselves, nor do I have or claim to have a contact at the club. Now either what you`re saying is your opinion or, it`s facts that you already know, if it`s the latter, for the greater good of the club you should come clean, otherwise make it clearer it`s you`re opinion and stop making out you`re in the know

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 25, 2012, 01:52:57 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
We went into the closed season with the plan of ending up having offloaded some high earners and brought in the new boys - a combination of experience and up and coming players.

We have already brought in players before offloading, and note that DS made an offer to another player at the end of last week. So, the idea that the board won't invest before players are offloaded is bull, clearly.

Having said that, there's a limit to how far the board can go without some of the high earners being offloaded. Thats sensible. However, we will suffer if some more don't leave soon.

We won't be relegated, but unless the team really clicks and injuries don't figure this season, lower mid table is likely.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 25, 2012, 03:21:18 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Bristol Rover,
I wish I had your confidence. Injuries WILL figure. Martis is already injured FFS! He is a walking disaster.
I'm starting to get REALLY worried now. We need to bring in players NOW, and not Luton rejects.
The problem is: who is going to pay for them, and their salaries?

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 25, 2012, 03:45:13 pm by Chris »
Bristol Rover,
I wish I had your confidence. Injuries WILL figure. Martis is already injured FFS! He is a walking disaster.
I'm starting to get REALLY worried now. We need to bring in players NOW, and not Luton rejects.

If you believe what we're told (and for the record, I do not) then the budget is bigger than the budget we had throughout the promotion season. Once player leave we should be able to sign top-quality League One players. Unless we've been lied to, that is.

pubteam

« Reply #25 on July 25, 2012, 03:53:00 pm by pubteam »
Bristol Rover,

If you believe what we're told (and for the record, I do not) then the budget is bigger than the budget we had throughout the promotion season. Once player leave we should be able to sign top-quality League One players. Unless we've been lied to, that is.

I don't remember anyone from the club saying "we'll be able to sign top quality League One players."

No wonder you don't believe them if you put words in their mouth.

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 25, 2012, 03:56:52 pm by Chris »
Bristol Rover,

I don't remember anyone from the club saying "we'll be able to sign top quality League One players."

No, but we've been told on here that the budget this season is greater than the budget which allowed a squad including Stock, Hayter, Wellens, Robert, Mills etc to be put together. Once this relatively large budget is freed up, why shouldn't we expect a very strong League One squad to be put together?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 25, 2012, 04:00:49 pm by Filo »
Bristol Rover,

I don`t know what George Friends wages are, but lets say they are £5k a week, £260k a year, given that the wage budget is £1M over, take Friend`s £260K from that and we`re still £740k over budget, so we have to get rid of 4 George Friend`s just to come out on budget, 5 so that we can sign players on lower wages!

pubteam

« Reply #28 on July 25, 2012, 04:02:07 pm by pubteam »
Bristol Rover,

No, but we've been told on here that the budget this season is greater than the budget which allowed a squad including Stock, Hayter, Wellens, Robert, Mills etc to be put together. Once this relatively large budget is freed up, why shouldn't we expect a very strong League One squad to be put together?

'Once it's freed up' is the assumption you're making.

I don't expect many more to leave. Maybe Friend and one or two others max. I could be wrong like.

pubteam

« Reply #29 on July 25, 2012, 04:04:22 pm by pubteam »
Bristol Rover,

I don`t know what George Friends wages are, but lets say they are £5k a week, £260k a year, given that the wage budget is £1M over, take Friend`s £260K from that and we`re still £740k over budget, so we have to get rid of 4 George Friend`s just to come out on budget, 5 so that we can sign players on lower wages!

What about Habib Beye, Filo? He was one of the contracted players that contributed to the £1m deficit.

And if we get a fee for Friend, does that not reduce it even more?

Saunders did say last night that the budget is "nearly where it should be," but whether that leaves any surplus to fetch in "top quality League One players" remains to be seen.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012