Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 02:00:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rob Jones Definite!  (Read 9638 times)

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
Rob Jones Definite!
« on July 28, 2012, 10:39:56 pm by Donnyjim »
I've just had a tweet from rob staton. This is looking pretty definite. I would say that this is an excellent signing? RTID :scarf:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
Re: Rob Jones Definite!
« Reply #1 on July 28, 2012, 11:08:11 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
I've just had a tweet from rob staton. This is looking pretty definite. I would say that this is an excellent signing? RTID :scarf:

yes it is....

Leader and huge!

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 28, 2012, 11:15:09 pm by Donnyjim »
A colossus Norfolk! Just what we need!

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 28, 2012, 11:26:28 pm by JonWallsend »
Wednesday fans appear to like him. My mate who really rated Spurr, unlike a lot of Owls, is a big fan of his, particularly as a leader of a team and a defensive unit.  General consensus is that he's an excellent league one player but not quite the requisite championship standard, therefore given our standing ideal for us, him and them.

I can only recall seeing him play once in a pre season tournament at Gateshead years ago, which Rovers ultimately won( Jimmy Kelly with a 25 yard screamer) and he was big.

On another point, having attended a comprehensive school on the Rotherham/Sheffield border in the 80's most of my mates were Wednesday fans.  A brief read through Owlstalk confirms that years of relative under achievement has done nothing to quell their inate sense of misguided belief that SW6 is infact home to Barcelona and European domination under Jones is just a matter of time. Either that or another camp who seem to feel that following today's result relegation is inevitable.

How I enjoyed footballing them to death the other year at Swillsbro- It will unfortunately, I fear, be many years before I see it again.  We may well slide down back the leagues but they will always be, with the exception of a few of my good friends, a heinous outfit.

I feel better for that :)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 29, 2012, 01:44:24 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Great signing :scarf:

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 29, 2012, 01:47:36 am by Chris Black come back »
He is 33 in a few months time. Not the solution to our defensive problems.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 29, 2012, 02:55:43 am by dickos1 »
Age is irrelevant, will be a great signing.

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 29, 2012, 03:09:18 am by Alan_Rovers »
Wish he was a couple of years younger than he is, but I'm quite pleased with this. Rob Jones is decent enough at League One level, so what's the problem? Do some people still think we should be signing Championship players?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 29, 2012, 07:00:11 am by DearneValleyRover »
We haven't any Centre Halfs and he isn't going to be given a 5 year contract. What he will do is give us some solidity and experience at the back allowing young Liam the time to mature and fill the role when Jones moves on.

Just to add, a Notts County fan on TFF who gets all their Transfer News 100% correct has stated that Paynter has turned them down to join us.

SIRFRAN

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 29, 2012, 08:21:33 am by SIRFRAN »

We very nearly had a full threas with everyone agreeing......then you pop up with this comment!

No individual is gonna be the solution to our defensive problems, we need a few more in, but this is a very good signing and a very good start! We will get 2 good seasons out of him at least!

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 29, 2012, 08:32:00 am by PaulRover08 »

Sine when is 33 past it. You clearly don't remember the awesome Steve Nicol playing for us then and would somebody tell Ryan Giggs that despite getting the footballer of the year award 2 years ago, he should have actually retired a couple of years before that. Bloody fool.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 29, 2012, 08:43:47 am by coventryrover »
never understand why 33 is considered over the hill.   footballers are paid to keep fit so jones will bel alright unless he contract martisitus :evil:

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 29, 2012, 08:59:42 am by silent majority »
And my understanding is that the finances are a great deal as well.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 29, 2012, 09:14:23 am by Donnywolf »

Sine when is 33 past it. You clearly don't remember the awesome Steve Nicol playing for us then and would somebody tell Ryan Giggs that despite getting the footballer of the year award 2 years ago, he should have actually retired a couple of years before that. Bloody fool.

IMO Giggs SHOULD have retired 2 years ago as he is way over the hill.

However this is a thread about Rob Jones and so I will stop now

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 29, 2012, 09:15:37 am by coventryrover »
no offence but i am sure fergie knows what he is doing :)

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 29, 2012, 09:26:00 am by 1879Rovers »
I think some people still consider them fifteen years ago and before, when a professional footballer was totally different to the ones we see today. No longer do they come back for pre-season a stone over weight. They are finally tuned athletes who if staying clear of injury can go on into their late 30's. An experienced player also knows how to make the ball do the work and not be running all over the pitch like an headless chicken. Jones would be a great signing.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 29, 2012, 09:58:27 am by Chris Black come back »

I do actually and saw Nicol's first and last games for us and most in between. I'm not wanting to spoil the party so I'll hold my tongue after this but Steve Nicol played at the very highest level and won the European Cup, League titles and went to the World Cup in Mexico with Scotland at a time when they had arguably their greatest ever crop of players. Rob Jones to my knowledge has yet to attain this pedigree. Nicol also dropped down to play for us in non-league football, rather than League One. Age for Nicol I would argue was somewhat less of an issue for him than it might prove to be for Jones.

Yours, A. Bloody Fool

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 29, 2012, 10:08:35 am by Donnywolf »
no offence but i am sure fergie knows what he is doing :)

None taken .... I am actually GLAD that Purple Ronnie kept him and persuaded Scholes to come out of retirement and I hope both hold down a First Team place for many seasons to come  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 29, 2012, 11:05:55 am by Red wizard »
Rob Jones was Wednesdays captain last year. Just reading the forum now and its all good. Could he be our new captain?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 29, 2012, 11:41:04 am by RoversAlias »
If he's staying then I would Copps is captain.

People have come up with good reasons why him being 33 etc. isn't a problem. I didn't rate him in the league above but as has been pointed out we are no longer in that division! We have barely any defenders so another one in is hardly a bad thing.

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 29, 2012, 03:04:37 pm by PaulRover08 »

I do actually and saw Nicol's first and last games for us and most in between. I'm not wanting to spoil the party so I'll hold my tongue after this but Steve Nicol played at the very highest level and won the European Cup, League titles and went to the World Cup in Mexico with Scotland at a time when they had arguably their greatest ever crop of players. Rob Jones to my knowledge has yet to attain this pedigree. Nicol also dropped down to play for us in non-league football, rather than League One. Age for Nicol I would argue was somewhat less of an issue for him than it might prove to be for Jones.

Yours, A. Bloody Fool

We're not talking about ability, we're talking about the age you consider over the hill.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 29, 2012, 03:11:24 pm by mushRTID »

Can you say anymore? Great deal as in were not paying much/anything or his wages are low?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 29, 2012, 03:21:06 pm by MachoMadness »

Yours, A. Bloody Fool

We're not talking about ability, we're talking about the age you consider over the hill.

I don't think there is a set age where players become over the hill, to be fair. I see CB's point, it's all relative and Nicol then was far more valuable to us than Jones probably will be now, the two aren't really comparable.

Having said that I imagine Jones will do a job for us, 30-odd appearances in a promotion-winning team is not something to be sniffed at.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 29, 2012, 03:46:18 pm by Chris Black come back »

Yours, A. Bloody Fool

Nicol had huge amounts of ability so even when he was 36 or 37 he was head and shoulders above anyone else playing in the Conference. Most other players do not have that ability so as they get older they have less natural talent to rely on when their physical state is past best for professional football.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 29, 2012, 04:47:10 pm by silent majority »

Can you say anymore? Great deal as in were not paying much/anything or his wages are low?

Not really, certainly not without betraying a confidence, but it is a good deal. As are all the deals we've done this summer, as I've said on many occasions we have somebody in charge who knows what they are doing.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on July 29, 2012, 05:08:59 pm by StocksArmy »
Would rather have Richard Naylor and that is my honest opinion.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 29, 2012, 05:24:27 pm by Red wizard »
Would rather have Richard Naylor and that is my honest opinion.
Give over.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 29, 2012, 05:34:48 pm by Chris Black come back »
Don't know whether Naylor is better or worse than Jones but I always thought Naylor never let anyone down. Shame his age caught up with him by time he put on the hoops. Better class than most of our centre backs over recent years.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 29, 2012, 05:35:35 pm by Jonathan »
I personally see it as a good signing. Anyone that went to Scunthorpe would be fully aware that he got exposed by Sharp that day but as others have said, that's no basis for dismissing him.

He's tall, dominant aerially and crucially he's an experienced leader. That's exactly what we need at th heart of the defence. Of course we still need someone to play alongside him, preferably someone that can complement his qualities with a bit of pace. And we need cover, and we need a goalkeeper!

A long way to go but this would be a positive move.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on July 29, 2012, 05:40:13 pm by Red wizard »
Well by the sound of it Deano hoping to have the team sorted this week. So we should see 4-5 new players this week.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012