Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 12:54:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Credit to Deano <WARNING - Positive Thread!>  (Read 9078 times)

jonnydog

• VSC Member
Credit to Deano <WARNING - Positive Thread!>
« on July 31, 2012, 11:02:51 am by jonnydog »
I know some will slate this, but just to say I'm quite impressed with the signings we have got so far. DS had his hands more tied the start of this season that last, and with the additions of who he has brought in so far I think it's a credit to him that he has clearly spent money wisely, played the media game as well as he could, and let's hope further additions are similar if not better.

Glad he's identifying the problem areas and brought in the likes of Cotterill, who has impressed so far, and also Jones today who the Wednesday fans seem to have nothing but praise for.

Quite looking forward to the season starting now  :thumbsup:

:scarf:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:22:23 am by jonnydog »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

thumper

• Forum Member
Re: Credit to Deano
« Reply #1 on July 31, 2012, 11:06:57 am by thumper »
Agree he's done well in the market despite being limited as to when he can go for players, would be interesting to see who those he's missed out on are.

MartinB

« Reply #2 on July 31, 2012, 11:11:15 am by MartinB »
DS needs to sign a GK, yet we've been linked with no one.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 31, 2012, 11:11:31 am by Norfolk N Chance »
Deano done little wrong since he came to be honest .....

Done actually what was asked for him in a hopeless situation.

Time people got behind him now

jm291

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 31, 2012, 11:17:43 am by jm291 »
Haven't made any of the friendlies yet and haven't seen much said about him but how has syers looked so far?

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Credit to Deano <WARNING - Positive Thread!>
« Reply #5 on July 31, 2012, 11:27:22 am by RedJ »

we weren't linked with Jones until last week, look how quick that worked out

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 31, 2012, 12:02:06 pm by Chris »
I agree that the signings so far have been good. David Syers is the one who I expect to impress most next season!

Mirsad Bubalovic

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 31, 2012, 12:31:52 pm by Mirsad Bubalovic »
Aye, he's been doing a good job for very little thanks from us fans. Let's hope we smash out a couple of wins to start the season or the boo boys will be out in force.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 31, 2012, 12:37:24 pm by Chris Black come back »
We need a keeper otherwise all this good work will be undone. Really urgent now.

Yargo

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 31, 2012, 12:38:40 pm by Yargo »
Wonder if BobG will turn up on here,maybe not as he has gone to slit his wrists :suicide:

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 31, 2012, 01:01:48 pm by dickos1 »
Keeper will be a loan, which won't happen for a week or so.

thumper

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 31, 2012, 01:12:42 pm by thumper »
Hopefully a season long loan to try and get a bit of stability

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 31, 2012, 01:25:57 pm by Red wizard »
D
Keeper will be a loan, which won't happen for a week or so.
Do you know somthing like Dicko?

MartinB

« Reply #13 on July 31, 2012, 01:35:37 pm by MartinB »
Hopefully a season long loan in GK as that I feel was the position that cost us our Championship status. Jones good signing still need another CB IMO. If Paynter signs it will be a decent L1 strike force...midfield looks just about sorted now.

lewis9111

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 31, 2012, 01:43:52 pm by lewis9111 »
Aye, I had high hopes for the season when we were first relegated, confident we could bounce back, then went through a pretty dark spell when all the players were released and lack of transfer activity (understand that there was nothing DS could do about this) but now after a good result against Wednesday, Rob Jones and the couple of players we have been linked with it's starting to look up. Bring on the new season!

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 31, 2012, 01:47:39 pm by bobjimwilly »

Wasn't he asked to keep us in the Championship?

Anyhow, I'm pleased with the signings as well - just need a few more, including a replacement for Gary Woods, and we'll be just about there I reckon

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 31, 2012, 01:48:41 pm by jonnydog »
Aye, I had high hopes for the season when we were first relegated, confident we could bounce back, then went through a pretty dark spell when all the players were released and lack of transfer activity (understand that there was nothing DS could do about this) but now after a good result against Wednesday, Rob Jones and the couple of players we have been linked with it's starting to look up. Bring on the new season!

That was how I felt, a couple of weeks where nothing happened and I feared the worst.

Wheels look like they're well in motion now, let's just hope we can sign a few more in the next couple of days. I expect two in a day is asking a lot.

COYR  :scarf:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:50:52 pm by jonnydog »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 31, 2012, 02:15:55 pm by RoversAlias »

Thankfully not every potential move is done in full view of the media eye. Saunders has had a keeper on trial which shows that he wants to strengthen in that area.

After John Ryan's comments at Peterborough last season I am certain that the powers at the club are fully aware how much we need another keeper so we don't have to rely on Woods.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 31, 2012, 02:18:04 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Agree with most others in this thread...we are in dire need of a decent keeper. Without that we will struggle, end of story.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 31, 2012, 02:32:21 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
His signings so far have been good really, but still a lot to do.  We don't have much up front and still are lacking at centre half.  The next few signings are vital for us.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on July 31, 2012, 02:54:50 pm by andysly »
A lot of people were very positive this time last season. Lots of play off talk. High hopes for the likes of Giles Barnes and other signings.
I'm not trying to be a doom monger but just beware of big expectations.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on July 31, 2012, 02:59:18 pm by jonnydog »
Not so much high expectations from me to be honest, as long as we have a team that can hold up in the league then when the rest of the contracts expire DS can really start going to work.

Consolidation and not having another season of struggling is my hopes for this year and I believe the players we're bringing in are more than capable of that.

Agree re: all the hype with Barnes last year, myself included, but when you compare purchases like Bouhenna to Cotterill and the like, it is clearly a step in the right direction IMO.

:rtid:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 03:04:28 pm by jonnydog »

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 31, 2012, 03:09:38 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Perceptions are strange, it's been suicidal on here until Jones signed and now a touch of optimism yet if you ask fans of other L1 clubs most will say that 2 of the best signings this summer are Cotterill and Blake plus they expect us to be a top six side.

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 31, 2012, 03:24:45 pm by Alan_Rovers »
I remain with mixed feelings about our signings.

If we can get Cotterill playing well on a regular basis then he could be one of our best players this season. He has the quality to play in the Championship but seems to have lacked the consistency to do well on a regular basis at that level, so dropping down to League One could be a good thing for his own career. Jones should add something to our defence as he was a promotion winner with both Scunthorpe and Wednesday in this league. He can't be any worse than the likes of Lockwood or the injury-prone Martis either.

I don't think Syers will add much and the fat kid who works in McDonalds could probably be more effective than Robbie Blake but I'm starting to feel a bit more confident that we can at least hold our own in this division.

Our biggest problem is still going to be our two useless goalkeepers, neither of which are good enough to be first choice. Until Saunders sorts out that position we are probably going to struggle.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 31, 2012, 03:28:49 pm by andysly »
I was at Rotherham and thought Blake's quality shone through. Perhaps a bit like oster though.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on July 31, 2012, 03:41:16 pm by ravenrover »
My first viewing of Blake was his brief appearance on Saturday, yes he looks overweight but his 1st touch was excellent and the way he rolled the defender out of the way only for a previous foul to be given was brilliant. At the moment he reminds me of Andy Reid at Forest, can't wait to see him with a few pounds off.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 31, 2012, 03:50:00 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I personally think they're signings that fit the problems we've got and that's what gives me enthusiasm.  Not so much names when you think of Syers but he's a player we've lacked in a few seasons, a midfielder who gets in the box and looks to score goals.  We've missed that kind of midfielder.  Him saying he wants 10 goals proves what he's looking to do.

Jones is another who's no great name but he'll help us plug our set piece problem and give  a bit of leadership at the back.  Logical signings we've made IMO, it's about building a solid squad and we're doing that, but still a long way to go.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 31, 2012, 04:42:50 pm by Red wizard »
I remain with mixed feelings about our signings.

If we can get Cotterill playing well on a regular basis then he could be one of our best players this season. He has the quality to play in the Championship but seems to have lacked the consistency to do well on a regular basis at that level, so dropping down to League One could be a good thing for his own career. Jones should add something to our defence as he was a promotion winner with both Scunthorpe and Wednesday in this league. He can't be any worse than the likes of Lockwood or the injury-prone Martis either.

I don't think Syers will add much and the fat kid who works in McDonalds could probably be more effective than Robbie Blake but I'm starting to feel a bit more confident that we can at least hold our own in this division.

Our biggest problem is still going to be our two useless goalkeepers, neither of which are good enough to be first choice. Until Saunders sorts out that position we are probably going to struggle.
Well i think you are going to be proved wrong about Seyers. Looks a good player imo and will get goals as well. As for the fat kid i'm willing to bet there's not no fat on him. He just looks big as he always has. Wait while Rooney,Sharp get to that age they will be big as well. He is just a big bloke.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 31, 2012, 05:20:50 pm by Norfolk N Chance »

Wasn't he asked to keep us in the Championship?

Anyhow, I'm pleased with the signings as well - just need a few more, including a replacement for Gary Woods, and we'll be just about there I reckon

Mission impossible .....even the great SOD had run out of ideas on how to turn things around....

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on July 31, 2012, 11:09:00 pm by BobG »
No Yargo. My wrists are fine thanks. As is my brain. I hope like f**k we end up winning every single game next season. I want us to win, win and win. But that doesn't change any of the issues this club continues to face.

Cheers

BobG

TinyPortal © 2005-2012