Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2024, 12:46:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Today has potential...  (Read 7088 times)

Red Rover

• Forum Member
Today has potential...
« on August 06, 2012, 09:11:08 am by Red Rover »
...to be the biggest day of activity of our pre-season.

- Hopefully Stock will move on to Burnley, good player for us but can't substantiate his wages in this division, if its between him and Copps, Copps every time.
- Paynter coming in hopefully, a proven goalscorer at this level.
- Is Paul Quinn deal completely dead? Has he left us after his trial now?
- James Harper, how did he play on Saturday? Is he worth a contract?

- Any more speculation on players coming in or going out? A new gk on the books would be nice!  :scarf:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
Re: Today has potential...
« Reply #1 on August 06, 2012, 09:21:55 am by 1879Rovers »
It really needs to be. I hadn't realised just how small our squad had got until reading a few reports today.

Saunders wanted the game calling off on Saturday because of lack of numbers. With our injury record, we could be in serious trouble with just three or four injuries.

Saunders said the back four that finished the game against Barnsley was the worst in the clubs history. I beg to differ but it shows how bad it was when the defence was mainly made up of midfielders.

We could do with bringing in nine or ten this week, with the possibility of a few still leaving and they have no time to get to know each other before the season starts.

Got to be honest at the moment, I am vey worried.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 06, 2012, 09:26:27 am by The Red Baron »
Saunders said the back four that finished the game against Barnsley was the worst in the clubs history. I beg to differ but it shows how bad it was when the defence was mainly made up of midfielders.

Got to be honest at the moment, I am vey worried.

He clearly didn't see any of  our "defences" in the 1997-98 season- eg Darren Esdaille, Gary Finley, Gary Ingham, Darren "the pointer" Brookes etc. I'd still take Syers, Stock, Spurr and Husband over them!

But I am very worried too. Field that back four on Saturday against York and the results could be embarrassing.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 06, 2012, 09:33:42 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I predict not much to happen until later in the week, things will have aimed to have been done but drag on.  NB:Just a prediction but I expect mass suicide/panic if we don't sign ten today.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 06, 2012, 09:44:40 am by jonnydog »
I predict not much to happen until later in the week, things will have aimed to have been done but drag on.  NB:Just a prediction but I expect mass suicide/panic if we don't sign ten today.

Agree with that, hope I'm wrong but can see deals dragging, Stockys final day going on and on, and silence

.... Ssshhhhhh!

thumper

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 06, 2012, 09:57:13 am by thumper »
With the amount of times someone was supposed to be leaving or signing over the last few weeks I'm not holding my breath for any action today. Would love to be proven wrong though!!

Ollie the Legend!

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 06, 2012, 10:38:38 am by Ollie the Legend! »
Paul Quinn has left the club after turning down our contract offer (from Vital Football). Let's hope we see some activity within the next few days, preferably in our favour! :)

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 06, 2012, 10:53:13 am by firestarter »
Can you get yourself down to the training ground young Ollie and let us know whats happenin!!...ps..how was Skegvegas??

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 06, 2012, 11:03:20 am by eastender »
Dean's qoute from the  Donny Star 14th  July.

“But we’ll definitely have to put a deadline on players leaving when it suits us.

“I don’t want players leaving in the last week of pre-season training and me having to find a replacement (at short notice) because that would cost us results on the pitch (at the start of the season).

“Players who are still at the club will be told to tell their agent that there will be no more deals done with other clubs.”

Well were in the last week of pre season training so will Deano be true to his word and not let any player's leave this week or was this just a load of sabre rattling.....

IMHO I'm afraid it will be proven to be sabre rattling.  :(

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 06, 2012, 11:30:17 am by roverstillidie91 »
We maybe are actually trying to sign players like with Paul Quinn but it seems something is going on behind the scenes. I just dont see why we are leaving it so late. We havent any right backs at this moment in time. If we get off to a bad start crowds will go to 4 or 5k which wont be good for us wanting to profit from the keepmoat

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 06, 2012, 12:15:43 pm by DRNaith »

“But we’ll definitely have to put a deadline on players leaving when it suits us.

“I don’t want players leaving in the last week of pre-season training and me having to find a replacement (at short notice) because that would cost us results on the pitch (at the start of the season).

“Players who are still at the club will be told to tell their agent that there will be no more deals done with other clubs.”

Well were in the last week of pre season training so will Deano be true to his word and not let any player's leave this week or was this just a load of sabre rattling.....

I would still class the last week of preseason as next week, this cup game was bolted on the front, but I still think the season starts on the 18th.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 06, 2012, 12:33:38 pm by The Red Baron »
OK, the League Cup isn't as important as the League, but a home draw against a team from L2 should offer us a chance of progress and maybe a money-spinning tie in Round 2.

It will be embarrassing if we lose the game, especially so if we lose because we're forced to use youngsters and players out of position.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 06, 2012, 12:35:30 pm by Dutch Uncle »
OK, the League Cup isn't as important as the League, but a home draw against a team from L2 should offer us a chance of progress and maybe a money-spinning tie in Round 2.

It will be embarrassing if we lose the game, especially so if we lose because we're forced to use youngsters and players out of position.

...... all of the above......

...... or 5 players signed the evening before....

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 06, 2012, 12:37:03 pm by The Red Baron »
If we get off to a bad start crowds will go to 4 or 5k which wont be good for us wanting to profit from the keepmoat

This is exactly my concern. If we look like relegation fodder from the start of the season you can kiss goodbye to half-decent crowds. Even if we improve later in the season, you won't get people back.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 06, 2012, 12:59:39 pm by jonnydog »
Well, half way through the day of positive change and nothing Apart from lottery results. 4 hours to go!!

Although the FTSE100 continues to rise to a 3 month high so at least that's something to be positive about ;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:06:52 pm by jonnydog »

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 06, 2012, 01:37:38 pm by jonnydog »
also, have we heard anything regarding Rob Jones' hamstring injury yet?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 06, 2012, 01:40:45 pm by MrFrost »
Get off to a bad start and attendances will be embarrassing. Anything lower than mid table and I think we will do well to get 4500 there.

Ollie the Legend!

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 06, 2012, 01:50:54 pm by Ollie the Legend! »
Can you get yourself down to the training ground young Ollie and let us know whats happenin!!...ps..how was Skegvegas??

Was gonna go down today but hd to help with the sis!! Skeggy was quality, ta

JayBaker

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 06, 2012, 01:55:05 pm by JayBaker »
It's important we try to be calm - so many of us (me included) go from optimistic to pessimistic at the drop of a daily paper - but the concern is understandable at this stage.

With 13 full-time senior pros on the books, it's cutting it fine. I certainly hope Dean Saunders can keep his word and not let any players go this week.

Obviously, there's a financial situation here and yet another reason for us to grumble about money's dominance over the game, but my perspective is that Saunders is at the mercy of the moneymen and if the board are here to be in a business, they have to treat it like one; you get out of it what you put in. These next several hours, possibly next few days, will be absolutely crucial.

While we could patch things up later, I agree with many of the above sentiments that it's important to have a good start to the season. We deserve one. The fact that there's no real team to speak of in the truest sense of the word is disconcerting, as even with training days, time is of the essence for players to gel. Poor Rob Jones is still learning his teammates' names, apparently.

Fingers crossed.

Surrey Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 06, 2012, 01:57:03 pm by Surrey Rover »
Our first league opponents not too impressed about their two new signings today.

http://www.upthesaddlers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40871

James Chambers still appears to be a free agent, still think he could do a job for us at right back in view of the fact we don't have one!

Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 07, 2012, 02:37:58 pm by Red Rover »
Well yesterday's potential well and truly went out the window!!

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 07, 2012, 02:43:40 pm by jonnydog »
Nothing wrong with a bit of positive pessimism  :lol:

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 07, 2012, 02:50:01 pm by drfc1951 »

d
Has Saunders got any control of players leaving? If an offer for a player comes in its the board who accepts or rejects the offer not Saunders.But lets blame him anyway.

RyRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 07, 2012, 03:07:27 pm by RyRovers »
Now after 3pm and still no news.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 07, 2012, 03:14:44 pm by Sprotyrover »
Hey don't worry Saunders knows what he is doing  :thumbsup:

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 07, 2012, 06:44:33 pm by podrover73 »
Hey don't worry Saunders knows what he is doing  :thumbsup:

Does he?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 07, 2012, 06:59:28 pm by hoolahoop »
I'm worried to hell, this is not the way an ex-Championship club should be operating. GET IT SORTED ROVERS.  :mad:

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 07, 2012, 07:04:36 pm by PaulRover08 »
Its exactly the way an ex Championship club should be acting if its making a huge loss and has lost 60% of its income. Do you want us to spend money we don't have and not have a club in a couple of years. This is not rocket science but so many on here just don't understand it.

Bret

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on August 07, 2012, 07:22:32 pm by Bret »
Get off to a bad start and attendances will be embarrassing. Anything lower than mid table and I think we will do well to get 4500 there.

Which will lead to JR berating the Doncaster public in the local press... And this forum totally divided with the guys who are totally pro-JR no matter what he says in constant argument with the guys who are anti-stupid JR comments. Hope I'm wrong of course, but I've never ever been so worried heading into a season!

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 07, 2012, 07:31:42 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Worrying when we are starting to write the York game,will that lead to we'll write the first half off the season?,i hope not!!,there's still a bit of time yet for signings,just a complete c..k-up that we announced the position we were in(needing players to go,to bring players in) very amateurish,you don't tell other clubs how desperate you are otherwise it leads unfortunately to the position we are in!!
He hasn't got long to bed a team in,but i don't think any of us being realistic thought we would hit the ground running this season,i think Burnley are messing us about with Stock,i'm not convinced they really want to sign him,nobody seems to mention that Sullivan needs to go,he must be on good wages and is unlikely to play,with Martis is the patience still there with him or will the club pay him off so we can move forward?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012