Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 08:01:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Do you want to live longer, lose weight and have a healthier life?  (Read 23114 times)

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
Stay tuned. All will be revealed soon.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
Re: Do you want to live longer, lose weight and have a healthier life?
« Reply #1 on August 07, 2012, 07:01:20 am by mjdgreg »
Right, I've had my six hours sleep so all can now be revealed. I watched Horizon last night 'Eat, Fast and Live Longer' and have now learned the secret to living a much healthier long life. I appreciate that nearly all the readers of this forum are low brow and don't tend to watch programmes like this so the good news is that it is available on BBC iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv

I appreciate that a lot of you don't have a good enough attention span to be able to watch the whole programme so I'll briefly describe what the best way is to achieve the goal in the thread title.

There are various ways this can be done but all of them rely on fasting. All you have to do is have 2 fasting days in 7 and you will dramatically increase your life expectancy and reduce your risk substantially of contracting illnesses such as cancer and Alzheimer's disease. The 2 fasting days can be any of the 7 days and doesn't have to be the same 2 days every week.

On the fasting days you should eat only one meal and restrict the amount of calories to 600 for a man and 500 for a woman. The meal can be eaten at any time of the day and can be any food. On the other 5 days eat as much as you want of any food you want. On fasting days drink plenty of water and black tea. If you follow this plan you will also lose weight.

I would advise checking with your doctor before embarking on such a way of life if you currently have any health problems. I don't need to lose weight and currently have a very healthy lifestyle. However I will be embarking on the plan as I do want to live to over 100 and to maintain my faculties as long as possible. I'll report back in 50 years time to let you know how I've got on.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 07:05:39 am by mjdgreg »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 07, 2012, 04:57:34 pm by River Don »
Right, I've had my six hours sleep so all can now be revealed. I watched Horizon last night 'Eat, Fast and Live Longer' and have now learned the secret to living a much healthier long life. I appreciate that nearly all the readers of this forum are low brow and don't tend to watch programmes like this so the good news is that it is available on BBC iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv

I appreciate that a lot of you don't have a good enough attention span to be able to watch the whole programme so I'll briefly describe what the best way is to achieve the goal in the thread title.

There are various ways this can be done but all of them rely on fasting. All you have to do is have 2 fasting days in 7 and you will dramatically increase your life expectancy and reduce your risk substantially of contracting illnesses such as cancer and Alzheimer's disease. The 2 fasting days can be any of the 7 days and doesn't have to be the same 2 days every week.

On the fasting days you should eat only one meal and restrict the amount of calories to 600 for a man and 500 for a woman. The meal can be eaten at any time of the day and can be any food. On the other 5 days eat as much as you want of any food you want. On fasting days drink plenty of water and black tea. If you follow this plan you will also lose weight.

I would advise checking with your doctor before embarking on such a way of life if you currently have any health problems. I don't need to lose weight and currently have a very healthy lifestyle. However I will be embarking on the plan as I do want to live to over 100 and to maintain my faculties as long as possible. I'll report back in 50 years time to let you know how I've got on.

I didn't catch all of this programme, what with only having the attention span of a Rovers supporter but I'm pretty sure you can't just eat whatever you like on the 5 days off. A diet of copious quantities of premium strength lager, chips and kebabs is rapidly going to overwhelm the beneficial effects of two days fasting.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 07, 2012, 05:09:04 pm by jonnydog »
Not to mention rocket you cholesterol level surely?!

Saying that it sounds good to me, I shall have to watch it

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 07, 2012, 05:33:11 pm by redwine »
If we read your threads Mick, it only SEEMS that we are living longer

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
Sounds very familiar...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NjTWvl8x-U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NjTWvl8x-U</a>

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 07, 2012, 07:04:24 pm by mjdgreg »
I didn't catch all of this programme, what with only having the attention span of a Rovers supporter but I'm pretty sure you can't just eat whatever you like on the 5 days off. A diet of copious quantities of premium strength lager, chips and kebabs is rapidly going to overwhelm the beneficial effects of two days fasting.

What you find though is that because of your fasting (not dieting) your appetite goes down and even though in theory you could eat and drink as you say you don't.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 07, 2012, 07:41:53 pm by River Don »

What you find though is that because of your fasting (not dieting) your appetite goes down and even though in theory you could eat and drink as you say you don't.

Yes, I've just watched the whole thing. Obviously I avoided all food today so my attention span has probably increased significantly.

Very interesting that restricting food on alternate days should have such a dramatic affect. I might even give the 5-2 day thing a try.

I'm not up for the full living on apple peel and strawberries just yet though.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 07, 2012, 07:46:56 pm by mjdgreg »
Yes, I've just watched the whole thing. Obviously I avoided all food today so my attention span has probably increased significantly.

Very interesting that restricting food on alternate days should have such a dramatic affect. I might even give the 5-2 day thing a try.

I'm not up for the full living on apple peel and strawberries just yet though.

I'm glad your attention span problem is getting better. I agree with you. The 5-2 method is the way forward. I hope when you get your 100th birthday telegram off the Queen you don't forget to thank me.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 07, 2012, 07:58:24 pm by Donnywolf »
I look forward to that glorious day myself

a) cos I get the Telegram and
b) you may have finished the interminable Bob Diamond thread by then
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:00:54 pm by DONNYWOLF »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
It's not a particularly new idea. Stanley Matthews used to fast every Monday. Whether it's a consequense that he played in the first division at 50 years of age is food for thought.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 07, 2012, 08:10:34 pm by jonnydog »
I look forward to that glorious day myself

a) cos I get the Telegram and
b) you may have finished the interminable Bob Diamond thread by then

:lol:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Mahatma Ghandi fasted regularly and he died at a younger age than my granddad who smoked like a chimney and never miised a meat and two veg meal in his life.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 08, 2012, 12:58:45 pm by River Don »
My aunty lasted well into her 90s. I think for the last 20 years she subsisted largely on tea with whisky in it, Vienetta and John Players. Except when she went for Sunday dinner at my Nans. She was as thin as a lat.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 01:32:10 pm by River Don »

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 08, 2012, 01:45:33 pm by mjdgreg »
Right I'm going to do an experiment. As I'm hardcore I'm going to give it a go. I'm going to start off with 4 days of fasting, then go on to the 5/2 day strategy to give it a good kick-start. I'm interested to see how much I can get my body fat % down by and how quickly. I'm into my second day now and have been to Boots to get my Body Mass Index and Body Fat %. Here are the results:

Weight -              12st 0lb
Height -               5' 8.4''
B.M.I. -                25.0
Body Fat % -       27.8
Body Fat Mass -  21.2 kgs

I don't hold much store by B.M.I. but I'll put the information up anyway.

Less than 18.5 -          underweight
From 18.5 up to 25.0 - ideal weight
More than 25.0 -          overweight 

Far more important is Body Fat %.

Excellent - 19.8
Good -       25.7
Average -  28.6
Poor -        34.7   

I'll post regular updates so you can monitor my progress.     

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 08, 2012, 01:52:27 pm by mjdgreg »
Mahatma Ghandi fasted regularly and he died at a younger age than my granddad who smoked like a chimney and never miised a meat and two veg meal in his life.

For someone who supposedly puts great store by doing research and empirical evidence I would suggest that you are making an extremely weak point based on minimal data. See my previous post if you want to know how to go about things in a professional manner.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 08, 2012, 01:56:09 pm by mjdgreg »
My aunty lasted well into her 90s. I think for the last 20 years she subsisted largely on tea with whisky in it, Vienetta and John Players. Except when she went for Sunday dinner at my Nans. She was as thin as a lat.

Interesting. The weird thing about what was suggested in the documentary was that as long as you fast regularly then you can smoke and drink pretty much as you want and your body will keep on repairing the damage so you won't get ill.

Once I've got a couple of months under my belt I'm going to start smoking and drinking as much as I want again. Fasting for 2 days a week is a small price to pay.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 01:58:38 pm by mjdgreg »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 08, 2012, 02:04:03 pm by River Don »

For someone who supposedly puts great store by doing research and empirical evidence I would suggest that you are making an extremely weak point based on minimal data. See my previous post if you want to know how to go about things in a professional manner.

I think the joke was it doesn't matter how much you fast if someone is going to shoot you.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 08, 2012, 02:08:08 pm by mjdgreg »
I think the joke was it doesn't matter how much you fast if someone is going to shoot you.

I'd forgotten that he's had the humour bypass reversal operation and was not looking for any humour in his post. Well done Billy, you've finally got one over on me. Enjoy. I put this little slip down to my brain being denied food for a day and a half. Please be warned that it will be fully functional come Saturday, so make the most of it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:55:23 pm by mjdgreg »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member

Whooooshhhh.....

GM-MarkB

« Reply #20 on August 08, 2012, 02:54:13 pm by GM-MarkB »
I don't suppose there's much chance of you changing your username to Bobby Sands and fasting for a little longer than 4 days is there ?

Go on....please

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 08, 2012, 03:10:34 pm by mjdgreg »
I don't suppose there's much chance of you changing your username to Bobby Sands and fasting for a little longer than 4 days is there ?

Go on....please

I'm pleased to see that you have also got a sense of humour. Well done. Unfortunately for you there are far too many people out there that enjoy reading my posts for me to do as you say. I'll just have to put up with the barracking of the few for the benefit of the many.

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 08, 2012, 08:57:10 pm by redwine »
Bloody hell

Five feet eight and a bit and twelve stone.

You fat bas**rd

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ps waiting for the ultimate accolade.........if only I could find my sense of humour

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
We could all go for 0% growth...................................
.....................................................oh sorry wrong topic  :woot:

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 08, 2012, 09:25:42 pm by mjdgreg »
Bloody hell

Five feet eight and a bit and twelve stone.

You  muscular, athletic bas**rd   

ps waiting for the ultimate accolade.........if only I could find my sense of humour

Not a bad effort. Need to do better, but getting there.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 08, 2012, 09:28:04 pm by mjdgreg »
.....................................................oh sorry wrong topic 

I wouldn't put too much store by what the Bank of England say. They haven't got a clue what they're doing. Take it from me, the situation will be worse. A lot worse.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
.....................................................oh sorry wrong topic 

I wouldn't put too much store by what the Bank of England say. They haven't got a clue what they're doing. Take it from me, the situation will be worse. A lot worse.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 09, 2012, 08:33:21 am by mjdgreg »
Dagenham, I take it you do think they know what they're doing! pmsl.  You need to read one of my latest posts in the Bob Diamond thread where I have started explaining the economy for the economically illiterate ones like you. 

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 09, 2012, 08:42:23 am by mjdgreg »
First update. After 2 days of fasting I've lost 5lbs. I won't be going to Boots again for a while to check the other measurements.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 09, 2012, 09:37:39 am by RedJ »
Out of interest (if only simply to humour you) what do you eat on your "on" days?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012