Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 06:10:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Paynter & McCombe  (Read 7871 times)

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
Paynter & McCombe
« on August 14, 2012, 06:04:14 pm by roverstillidie91 »
Going to wear shirts 8 and 16 respectively

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

glosterred

• VSC Member
Re: Paynter & McCombe
« Reply #1 on August 14, 2012, 06:26:31 pm by glosterred »
And I am going to wear XL

COYR

JonnyRover8

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 14, 2012, 06:31:41 pm by JonnyRover8 »
Stock and Oster's old numbers..

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 14, 2012, 10:48:57 pm by bradford exile »
Speaking of which....Where is Oster now?????

Regards

Ray................. :rtid: :rtid: :rtid:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 14, 2012, 10:51:26 pm by Filo »

Regards

Still a free agent I believe

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 14, 2012, 10:53:16 pm by MrFrost »

Regards

Still a free agent I believe

Sulking somewhere probably. Its what he does best.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 14, 2012, 10:58:10 pm by eastender »

Regards

Blaming someone else because he hasn't got a club .

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 15, 2012, 12:00:17 am by RobTheRover »
I'm not comfortable with all this Oster bashing.  The lad was a good player for us, and probably tried a bit too hard at times resulting in mistakes creeping in to his game at crucial moments.  The hammering he is still getting is unjust and generally undeserved.

MartinB

« Reply #8 on August 15, 2012, 12:03:11 am by MartinB »
Trying a bit too hard would have involved running, tackling & shooting.

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 15, 2012, 12:20:32 am by JonWallsend »

Oster was an excellent player- he didn't shoot enough, granted, and while he didn't fly into tackles like Alan Little he was a very good passer of the ball, ran intelligently to create space for himself and others, always showed for the ball and tried to do something creative with it. Being brave and trying hard isn't just about running aimlessly, booting the ball and launching into challenges.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 15, 2012, 12:39:28 am by RoversAlias »
As good a technical player as Oster was, I'm afraid he can never be rightly accused of 'trying too hard'.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 15, 2012, 07:17:37 am by RobTheRover »
By trying too hard, I maybe should have said trying more difficult passes, etc, rather than doing the simple things.  I can think of a number of occasions when he risked something in order to try to gain us an advantage when there was a simpler pass on and got caught out, and its these moments that stick in people's minds.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 15, 2012, 07:48:56 am by DonnyOsmond »

Ahh, the stereotypical English way of football. Don't pass or anything just be quick and able to tackle and shoot.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 15, 2012, 09:34:10 am by wing commander »
   I liked Oster myself,thought he had that bit of class that most others didn't....If you want a midfielder who runs,tackles and just lays off to the nearest man go watch Simon Gillett...And dont rule him out of a return to Rovers just yet...:-)

Leebtyler

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 15, 2012, 09:40:08 am by Leebtyler »
And I am going to wear XL

COYR

XXL lmao i like room to stretch  :whistle:

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 15, 2012, 10:37:45 am by roverstillidie91 »
"@DRFCcommercial: Interested in Sponsoring one of our new players kits Billy Paynter and Jamie McCombe? #DRFC email commercial@doncasterroversfc.co.uk"

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 15, 2012, 11:11:33 am by bobjimwilly »
"@DRFCcommercial: Interested in Sponsoring one of our new players kits Billy Paynter and Jamie McCombe? #DRFC email commercial@doncasterroversfc.co.uk"

that's a great idea! watch this space!

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 15, 2012, 11:49:25 am by mrfrostsdad »
IMO Oster would have done a good job in League 1.
Past this best, yes, but is he not better than Keegan?

Wello

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 15, 2012, 11:51:38 am by Wello »
I'm not comfortable with all this Oster bashing.  The lad was a good player for us, and probably tried a bit too hard at times resulting in mistakes creeping in to his game at crucial moments.  The hammering he is still getting is unjust and generally undeserved.

bang on Rob. he was quality for us, but folk just didn't realise this.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 15, 2012, 12:13:16 pm by The Beast »

Ahh, the stereotypical English way of football. Don't pass or anything just be quick and able to tackle and shoot.

Eureka!!!
I thought I was the only person who liked John Oster. The reason so many people don't like John Oster for me is the mentality which is the root cause in this country of why the national team is absolute pony! So many people think that football is about running around like a headless chicken and diving into tackles rather than using your loaf, and a bit of composure and trying to pass the ball. The abuse that Oster got last year was ridiculous, it made me so angry I almost had to stop coming.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 15, 2012, 12:31:56 pm by RobTheRover »
Thanks guys, so thats a handful of us at least who can recognise a half decent player! ;)

pubteam

« Reply #21 on August 15, 2012, 01:51:55 pm by pubteam »

Eureka!!!
I thought I was the only person who liked John Oster. The reason so many people don't like John Oster for me is the mentality which is the root cause in this country of why the national team is absolute pony! So many people think that football is about running around like a headless chicken and diving into tackles rather than using your loaf, and a bit of composure and trying to pass the ball. The abuse that Oster got last year was ridiculous, it made me so angry I almost had to stop coming.

But having a team full of players who can't tackle isn't very handy when you haven't got the ball, is it?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 15, 2012, 02:32:47 pm by ravenrover »
Thanks guys, so thats a handful of us at least who can recognise a half decent player! ;)
But it was the other half that was the problem Rob  :lol:

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 15, 2012, 02:44:09 pm by Chris »

Eureka!!!

But having a team full of players who can't tackle isn't very handy when you haven't got the ball, is it?

Having one or two players like John Oster in the squad is far from having "a team full of players who can't tackle"! Oster was, in my opinion, a very good player for us. His form may have dipped last season (whose didn't?) but he would have been a great asset this season.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 15, 2012, 03:05:18 pm by The Beast »

Eureka!!!

Fair enough but if you dont give the ball away as much you don't have to tackle as much but that's a chicken and egg sort of argument. My point was about mentality, that of some Rovers fans and English football in general. The intelligent, creative player is not appreciated enough, where as the player that gets stuck in and dives into tackles is put on a pedestal! That's why Spain have players like Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas, Italy produce players like Pirlo and England produce Parker and Milner.

silvesterp

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 15, 2012, 03:33:55 pm by silvesterp »
completely ridiculous that oster got as much stick as he did. yes he wasnt the type of player who went flying into tackles but when at our peak under o dricsoll who really ever did that? he was massively instrumental in getting us playing the type of passing game that we became famous for. i agree he often got into very dangerous positions and then seemed to pass when a shot was on but his qualities well outweighed this. granted he didnt have a great season last year especially after his neck surgery but very few really did. He was at his best when we had a settled midfield ie oster, copps, stock, woods ect when everyone knew the fluid system well and were on the same wavelength. the chopping and changing of last year was difficult for everyone. so find the level of criticism of oster unusual and generally unfair.

pubteam

« Reply #26 on August 15, 2012, 03:47:54 pm by pubteam »

Eureka!!!

Having one or two players like John Oster in the squad is far from having "a team full of players who can't tackle"! Oster was, in my opinion, a very good player for us. His form may have dipped last season (whose didn't?) but he would have been a great asset this season.

Hang on, it wasn't me who said that John Oster not being appreciated was to do with the whole ethos of English football. If you want 'one or two players like John Oster' in the team, then that's not changing the ethos at all, is it?

The basic gist of the post I was responding to was that the mentality of football in England needs to be flipped on its head to create technical players who can make 2 yard passes all day but can't run or tackle. The basic message I was trying to imply in my post was that a balance is needed, rather than adopting one or the other ethos from either end of the spectrum. I wasn't really expecting anybody to take my post literally, but there we go.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 15, 2012, 04:07:22 pm by ctay »
Poor lad got dogs abuse from the other generation in the South East Corner. I think the problem was he was so good in his first season, that everything after that didnt seem good enough. He form wasnt good last year, but like someone pointed out who's was? I think he suffered from a loss of confidence and was shot by the end of the season.

I think like a number of players he needed a change of clubs for this season.

MartinB

« Reply #28 on August 15, 2012, 04:12:08 pm by MartinB »
Jesus...Some people on here! I refuse to say a player tried too hard, when he never IMO gave it his all in terms of tackling & shooting and they start lamenting the state of the English team ..which is all very well but Oster is Welsh.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 15, 2012, 04:22:09 pm by MachoMadness »
Got to agree with Rob and the rest of the Oster fans, thought he was class for us. He went missing sometimes but who didn't over the past couple of years? On form he was a class visionary midfielder.

Not sure why some people expect every player to be some big ugly bugger who'll run around all day kicking people. As others have said, it's that kind of culture that means teams like Spain and Italy run rings around us on a regular basis. The amount of times I've mentioned a player, such as Pirlo, or Iniesta and got the response, "he'd never cut it in England, couldn't perform like that on a wet Tuesday night in Grimsby" is mind-boggling.

Jesus...Some people on here! I refuse to say a player tried too hard, when he never IMO gave it his all in terms of tackling & shooting and they start lamenting the state of the English team ..which is all very well but Oster is Welsh.

It's a fair point about how that approach is symptomatic of the problems in English football though. While I agree his shortfall was his shot-shyness, not every player needs to be getting stuck into tackles and kicking lumps out of people.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012