Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 08:01:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Champions  (Read 3192 times)

swifty50

• Forum Member
Champions
« on September 02, 2012, 04:35:20 pm by swifty50 »
The Dons are Champions of League one well done boys

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ridgewoodrover

• Forum Member
Re: Champions
« Reply #1 on September 02, 2012, 04:38:02 pm by ridgewoodrover »
congrats to  the  dons

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 02, 2012, 05:14:48 pm by DonnyRTID »
Great news. Well done.  :thumbsup:

pubteam

« Reply #3 on September 02, 2012, 05:17:55 pm by pubteam »
Congratulations to them.

Not a rugby fan myself, but it can never be a bad thing for the town, can it?

DRFC MYERS

« Reply #4 on September 02, 2012, 05:21:19 pm by DRFC MYERS »
lets hope that we can make it a double

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 02, 2012, 06:06:40 pm by Dagenham Rover »

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 02, 2012, 06:22:06 pm by newyankee »

Congratulations to the Dons on winning the League. I've just sent Carl Hall an e mail saying well done. If you wanrt to you can all do the same on the Dons website,  Doncaster RLFC and go to contact us.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 02, 2012, 06:39:18 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Well done Calender not a mention

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 02, 2012, 07:56:28 pm by The Beast »

Well done Calender not a mention
Congratulations to the Dons on a great achievement!!
Thought they might have got a mention on Calendar if they were playing in Blue and Yellow!

streatham dave

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 02, 2012, 08:04:32 pm by streatham dave »
Well done to them. Do they get promoted to the Super League or is it a closed shop still? I hate it when sports don't have promotion and relegation.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 02, 2012, 08:34:55 pm by newyankee »
Promotion and relegation to and from Super League ended in 2007 when 14 teams were licenced to be in Super League. Teams from the lower league Championship can only get in if a team like Crusaders goes bust and Widnes take their place.

Even then they have to meet very strict crieria and can sometimes be a teram from lower in the league than the team which won the Championship.  If the Dons were to apply, they would m eet many of the points ie ground capacity etc, but may well fall short due to organisation and finance. 

This is where the tie up with the Rovers could come in. If they were to use the Rovers organisation and the Rovers owners were to supply some cash then we COULD have a Super League Rugby League Club playing at the Keepmoat and the financial benefits that would bring.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 02, 2012, 08:44:27 pm by RedJ »
That's f**king daft, that.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 02, 2012, 08:59:01 pm by Barmby Rover »
That's f***ing daft, that.

Not so daft, the very same thing is being suggested for the Prem League, it will come, once they have the teams they want in ie Leeds, Blackburn, Sheff Wednesday.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 02, 2012, 09:06:33 pm by RedJ »
just to clarify (although I may be misunderstanding you myself) I meant it's a daft idea, not that he's wrong in what he's saying

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 02, 2012, 09:38:34 pm by Muttley »
That's f***ing daft, that.

Not so daft, the very same thing is being suggested for the Prem League, it will come, once they have the teams they want in ie Leeds, Blackburn, Sheff Wednesday.

Of course it's daft, teams should be promoted based on their performance on the pitch, not on the balance sheet. The fact that the Premiership want to do it, should tell you that it's a crap idea.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 02, 2012, 09:48:41 pm by newyankee »
It's what they have done over here for years in Baseball, American Football and Basketball and what they have also done for long time in the NRL in Australia. 

Makes money a God and doesn't help the fans as teams can take the money, give nothing to the fans and not have to pay for it by being relegated.

The Cleveland Browns have pissed on their speccies for years by putting out a sub  standard team but raking in the money from TV and other League sponsorships.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 02, 2012, 11:15:21 pm by Mr1Croft »
It will probably happen in football over here given time, because clubs (mainly the premiership) see the money up there and are blinded by it. Look at Blackpool, now they had there 15 minutes of fame, and the Chairman made a hefty profit they are back against challenging.

Although some teams (Derby, Burnley) are happy to have one season and live on parachute payments for 4 years. Anyone notice how much of a coincidence that Reading go on to win the league back to the PL just as there parachute payments are about to run out? I suspect Middlesbrough will try to go up this year before their payments run out.

I remember a few years ago when the PL2 was brought up, an idea of the next best 18 clubs on fanbase, organisation, stature etc., along with Celtic and Rangers forming a league below the Premier League, (but the Championship would be the top level for clubs like the Rovers).

There is also strong talk of the top clubs in Europe (barring the Germans) of sticking two fingers up at Uefa in 2014 (when the acceptance of UEFA by the G14 runs out) and form there own version of the Champions League (along with the new powers in Asia) and a new governing body which means that Uefa's Financial Fair Play will no longer apply to these clubs.

All in all football is doomed, I mean the average footballers wages has increased a whopping 1500% in just 20 years, and 56% of European Football clubs debts is covered by the PL.

DC-

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 02, 2012, 11:16:23 pm by DC- »
About time they had a bit of luck. Chuffed for them.

RE: Superleague. They'll not make it with the current fan base.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 03, 2012, 08:09:32 am by Colin C No.3 »
How can you have a 'competition', any competition, where the team finishing top of their 'Division' isn't automatically promoted to the one above? Crazy & what incentive does it give the fans & players of those teams? Ground 'safety' reasons apart, I can't see any justification for it.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 03, 2012, 08:51:42 am by The Beast »
How can you have a 'competition', any competition, where the team finishing top of their 'Division' isn't automatically promoted to the one above? Crazy & what incentive does it give the fans & players of those teams? Ground 'safety' reasons apart, I can't see any justification for it.
Totally agreed it's spoilt it for me, used to go every game but lost interest a bit in the Super League era. The gulf between The Super League and the Championship is absolutely massive. To justify the no relegation thing they said that without the fear of relegation clubs will be more willing to blood young English talent but that hasn't worked, we're still a million miles behind the Aussies! It's all about money and the big clubs protecting each other. It'll happen in football it's just a matter  of time, unfortunately sport now is primarily a business, what happens on the stock exchange is more important than what happens on the pitch.

Sandy Lane

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on September 03, 2012, 01:30:19 pm by Sandy Lane »
I have to agree re: promotion and relegation.  Being bought up in the US this concept was totally foreign to me and it took me quite a while to see the benefits of it and actually like it, but I do now and long may it continue.  The business aspect of it negates the sport of playing and giving your all for your team here, and for your football the end of the season can be just as exciting (or more even) as any game along the way.

adge

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 03, 2012, 01:38:40 pm by adge »
there are three divisions in rugby league.
the dons have won the championship of league three and HAVE been promoted to league two next season.
they have also won £50,000 in prize money

well done one and all

TinyPortal © 2005-2012