Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 12:44:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Booing last Saturday  (Read 3310 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Booing last Saturday
« on September 28, 2012, 10:37:41 am by The Red Baron »
http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/paul-goodwin-s-doncaster-rovers-verdict-rovers-won-t-be-rebuilt-in-a-day-1-4972106

Paul Goodwin comments on the booing last Saturday. I think he's missed the point. The booing wasn't because Rovers were "going long too soon" but because they kept passing the ball backwards when they were losing 1-0.

I seem to remember early last season that Rovers were criticised for passing the ball back too much- on one occasion at Brighton when we were actually in front.

I'm not for a minute advocating a long ball game but when it is working it can at least be exciting to watch, if not for the purist. On Saturday, after we equalised, we upped the tempo and got the ball forward quickly and there were no complaints.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillieJA

• Forum Member
Re: Booing last Saturday
« Reply #1 on September 28, 2012, 12:47:25 pm by BillieJA »
http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/paul-goodwin-s-doncaster-rovers-verdict-rovers-won-t-be-rebuilt-in-a-day-1-4972106

Paul Goodwin comments on the booing last Saturday. I think he's missed the point. The booing wasn't because Rovers were "going long too soon" but because they kept passing the ball backwards when they were losing 1-0.

I seem to remember early last season that Rovers were criticised for passing the ball back too much- on one occasion at Brighton when we were actually in front.

I'm not for a minute advocating a long ball game but when it is working it can at least be exciting to watch, if not for the purist. On Saturday, after we equalised, we upped the tempo and got the ball forward quickly and there were no complaints.

Most of the time when we were passing the ball backwards is because there was no way we could play it forward, without ultimately losing it.

I think booing is extreme, it hardly helps the players does it? You think they'll play better because people are jeering them?

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 28, 2012, 12:48:15 pm by Norfolk N Chance »

Fans were frustrated as there was no outlet and thus only way was backwards.

I was totally confused with what Saunders was trying to achieve as it seemed he just wanted a draw at home - Playing one lone forward?

That midfield needs sorting, Harper and Husband must start

Hume must also start along with Martis however, he will stick with same tired team on show at Crawley and Stevenage and if he does he deserves any stick that comes his way!

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 28, 2012, 01:05:16 pm by Wellred »

I was totally confused with what Saunders was trying to achieve as it seemed he just wanted a draw at home - Playing one lone forward?

Hume must also start along with Martis however, he will stick with same tired team on show at Crawley and Stevenage and if he does he deserves any stick that comes his way!

Maybe we should sack Saunders and appoint you Manager Norfolk?

If it was that simple it would save us a fortune wouldn't it?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 28, 2012, 01:27:11 pm by steve@dcfd »
Typical response to a poster who makes valid point which may not be positive, but is relative to the performance displayed on Saturday. All supporters can have different views it does not mean that if you do not agree with the manager you want him sacked. In the league our defence looks ok but apart from the first game we have average one goal a game.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 28, 2012, 02:22:04 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
...In the league our defence looks ok but apart from the first game we have average one goal a game.

Criticism is healthy, but good to keep it balanced  :scarf:

Our defence, including Woods, is the third best in the league judging on matches played so far, I'd say thats better than ok especially given that its a back four that haven't played together before this season (baring Jones/Spurr maybe briefly at Weds?).

The whole team is new, so it makes sense that it'll take a while for them to click into being as effective as they can be in getting the ball to where it counts.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 28, 2012, 04:06:01 pm by Wellred »
Typical response to a poster who makes valid point which may not be positive, but is relative to the performance displayed on Saturday. All supporters can have different views it does not mean that if you do not agree with the manager you want him sacked. In the league our defence looks ok but apart from the first game we have average one goal a game.

Wind your neck in. Maybe you should read a little deeper into what posters write.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 28, 2012, 05:04:29 pm by NickDRFC »

Maybe we should sack Saunders and appoint you Manager Norfolk?

If it was that simple it would save us a fortune wouldn't it?

I'm inclined to agree with him. I'm warming to Saunders but he does seem to have his favoured starters at the minute (early days though so it might all change). I'd like to see Hume and Harper from the start which would hopefully up our tempo, even if they're not quite there in terms of fitness and blowing out of their arses after an hour. That's what subs are for.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 28, 2012, 05:59:52 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'm inclined to agree with him. I'm warming to Saunders but he does seem to have his favoured starters at the minute (early days though so it might all change). I'd like to see Hume and Harper from the start which would hopefully up our tempo, even if they're not quite there in terms of fitness and blowing out of their arses after an hour. That's what subs are for.

Completely agree with that and Tuesday night showed that Harper was capable of starting a match.

Going back to the booing last Saturday I recall a couple of instances where balls went backwards when other options WERE available and I think it was that on top of what was already a poor performance that drew the boos.

One particularly from Keegan turned normally mild mannered folk to to a red mist. Don't think it was any reflection of the manager or the teams tactics, just a response to a series of player's poor decisions.   

Sticky-Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 28, 2012, 06:14:26 pm by Sticky-Rover »
I thought the booing was aimed at the refs due to that 'goal'. But I don't know.

The football wasn't exactly dire, a poor 20 odd mins with the rest of the half more competitive. Nothing abnormal about the football, compared to what we have seen in recent years.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 28, 2012, 06:56:55 pm by The Red Baron »
There was booing, and it wasn't directed at the officials (not that they didn't deserve it.) It was during the second half when Rovers were passing the ball square and backwards.

I realise that they are trying to draw the opposition out of position, but unfortunately it looked as though they had run out of ideas. In those situations midfielders need to come and pick up the ball off the defence and wide players need to come short and then go long. This didn't happen, although it improved when Hume and Husband came on.

Sticky-Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 28, 2012, 07:23:20 pm by Sticky-Rover »
It must have been an isolated group then cause the only booing I heard was at half-time. (unless there's something wrong with me  :s)

I find it pretty poor if they were booing because of passing back. The majority of football i've seen since i started watching Donny involved passing back just to be hit long ball. (I still don't think Matt Mills can play a ball that isn't diagonally long and he's been at 3 clubs since he left us)

They should be grateful we've got someone like Browny that can actually do something with the balls in the air.

Though I agree the quality of the game improved once we made all our subs.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 07:47:18 pm by Sticky-Rover »

scotlandsbest

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 28, 2012, 08:28:35 pm by scotlandsbest »
 :ohmy:i thinkyou need to get a grip on reality we aint good enough

and never wil

lbe until we see some real investement and some belife in the side its getting ridiculous no hulme ????? a bloody joke

and ive supported rovers for thirty years and seen better than this

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 28, 2012, 08:34:07 pm by RedJ »
not good enough for what? we're close to the top 6 on a shoestring budget with a match in hand with a very tidy defensive record considering last season's debacle

Sticky-Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 28, 2012, 08:58:12 pm by Sticky-Rover »
Does it matter how long we've been watching football really? It doesn't make either opinion more or less valid.

I think some people haven't realised the league we're in, and the quality of players and teams that are in league one. Remember we wanted 2 of the players who played in Boroughs defence.

Hume isn't anywhere near fit too.

Don't know if it was an intentional WUM statement but I nibbled. I apologise  :coat:

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 28, 2012, 08:58:54 pm by Wellred »
:ohmy:i thinkyou need to get a grip on reality we aint good enough

and never wil

lbe until we see some real investement and some belife in the side its getting ridiculous no hulme ????? a bloody joke

and ive supported rovers for thirty years and seen better than this

You are right. Some people do need to get a grip on reality. Some people have selective memory too.
I have supported Rovers for a good few years more than you and I have certainly a lot worse than this.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 29, 2012, 01:35:49 am by Sammy Chung was King »
The long ball,to me should be the last resort if your a player,it's usually a panic ball when there's not many options on around you,it's also a lack of confidence in yourself as a player,to be able to hold onto that ball just that little bit longer for an option to come up,some that could be lack of movement from wide players hiding from the ball,and forwards movement not being good enough,which leads to the default setting of most players to lump it,but having said all that Stevenage's main strength is they're ability to close down space,and make themselves hard to break down,they will do the same to a fair few teams this season,the disappointment is that we didn't have the movement and ability to be able to get the better of them,let's not forget they are one of the better side's in the division!!.
For me we just need to add a few more attacking players to our squad and we would be edging games like this instead of drawing,what about the kid at Fulham who was on loan at Wycombe Marcelo Trotta i think his name is,not going to get many games there,would be an ideal loan( i know with our budget it's more likely to be Del Trotter),but seriously we need players that have something to prove like the player mentioned,an attacking midfielder also,we are not far off being a play-off team if we could add just a little more quality.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012