Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 01:44:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Caught Speeding  (Read 11658 times)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
Caught Speeding
« on October 02, 2012, 06:14:07 pm by MrFrost »
Silly me.

No I could be wrong, but isn't there a certain number of days they have to issue you with the relevant offence. I was caught doing 71 in a 60 on 9th August, yet the notification only landing through my letterbox today, dated 1st October.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

jonnydog

• VSC Member
Re: Caught Speeding
« Reply #1 on October 02, 2012, 06:19:50 pm by jonnydog »
14 days rings a bell, but I don't know the process if letter is delayed. Think you have scope to argue as you could say you couldn't remember who was driving (if you share the car). However then a photo of said offence may prove this.

Sure there's stuff I've read on Internet that gives advice on this kinda thing, though if you contest it and still found guilty you could end up with a heavier fine/penalty.

... Glad to say though, I've never been caught speeding so I'm not 100% on the whole process, which means I never used any info' i found out and that I can be one of those annoying people who say:

"Simple, just don't speed"

(Sorry)

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 02, 2012, 09:53:48 pm by BobG »
I've heard a similar story Frosty. I had a feeling it was 3 months though. But I could easily be wrong. I did celebrate, well, slightly, 2 or 3 years back when 3 months after I was stopped I hadn't received anything. Still haven't actually! Need a lawyer - or Google?

BobG

Marydene Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 02, 2012, 11:04:21 pm by Marydene Rover »
Copied from Google I hope this helps,

What are the rules relating to a Notice of Intended Prosecution?

For certain offences, the process can be started by serving a Notice of Intended Prosecution Pursuant to Section 1 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act. Typically, these offences are speeding, failing to comply with traffic signals etc. The obligation is upon the prosecution to have issued and despatched the Notice in order that it arrives with the registered keeper of the vehicle within 14 days of the offence.

Service can be by first class post, by hand or in some circumstances, by recorded delivery. The method of delivery is at the discretion of the prosecution who only have to show that they have followed the correct procedure.

The Notice must be signed (although this can be typed) on behalf of the Chief Constable, must be dated and contain sufficient information for the offence to be identified.
What is the 14 day rule?

The 14 day rule relates only to the period of time in which the Police/Process Unit must serve the original Notice. The Police do not have to prove that the Notice reached its intended recipient within 14 days, merely that in the normal course of events, it should have arrived. In many cases, the registered keeper will be a lease company not the actual driver with the result that even if the driver is unaware of the incident, service of the Notice is good if it was sent to arrive at the registered keeper's last known address within 14 days of the offence.
The Notice of Intended Prosecution was issued out of time, what do I do now?

If you are the registered keeper of the vehicle and the ISSUE date on the Notice of Intended Prosecution is more than 14 days after the offence, then you can reject it. This only applies if it is dated more than 14 days after the alleged offence. It does not apply if it is dated within 14 days but received more than 14 days after the offence. If the NIP has been issued too late, then you should return it to the Process Office stating that you reject it because it is time barred. Bear in mind that if you are not the registered keeper, the NIP may have originally been issued within time and sent to the keeper.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 13, 2012, 01:41:36 am by Viking Don »
If you're one of the oh so let's be so above the law and not critisise others then maybe you should take speeding a bit more seriously. Cars kill more people than drugs do, and people speeding thinking it's cool are seriously deluded. What exactly do you do with that time you save? Get stuck in another jam? Or play with yourself for ten minutes longer than I do?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 01:45:29 am by Viking Don »

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 13, 2012, 01:31:08 pm by MrFrost »
If you're one of the oh so let's be so above the law and not critisise others then maybe you should take speeding a bit more seriously. Cars kill more people than drugs do, and people speeding thinking it's cool are seriously deluded. What exactly do you do with that time you save? Get stuck in another jam? Or play with yourself for ten minutes longer than I do?

I don't need a lecture, thank you. I'm quite aware of the laws with regards to speeding. I chose to do the speed, so am happy to accept any punishment that comes with it.

After a discussion with Humberside Police, they do only have 14 days to issue the notice, and quite rightly, they will not be persuing this matter any further.

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 18, 2012, 01:11:17 am by nice one rovers »
Oooosh, you lucky bugger!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 06, 2017, 09:27:15 am by RedJ »
Been stung myself. No excuses, wasn't paying close enough attention and didn't spot the sign to take it from 60 down to 50.

Never been caught with it before and my speed was inside the range that you can do the course with, do they send you the details if you're eligible or do you have to request it?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 06, 2017, 09:36:40 am by Bentley Bullet »
I think they offer the course to you if you're eligible. You can only have one course within a certain period of time, I believe.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 06, 2017, 10:06:14 am by RedJ »
Yeah, you can only do one if you've not done one in the last three years. Interestingly, you can if it was under the jurisdiction of another force, apparently, so if I want to speed again I'd better make sure I do it in Humberside's area...

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 06, 2017, 10:43:37 am by drfchound »
Yeah, you can only do one if you've not done one in the last three years. Interestingly, you can if it was under the jurisdiction of another force, apparently, so if I want to speed again I'd better make sure I do it in Humberside's area...

RedJ, i know of someone (ahem) who did a SYP speed awareness course then got caught in the Humberside region a year or so later.
The paperwork said "if you haven't done one of OUR speed awareness courses in the last three years you are able to attend one etc".
The said course was applied for and accepted.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 06, 2017, 10:52:19 am by Jenny »
I am attending a What's Driving Us Course tomorrow, which was offered by SYP and then on the 14th November I am attending a Speed Awareness Course which was offered by WYP.

Different offences, but I didn't think I would get offered a course for the second offence given the first.

Not complaining, aside from the 7 hours of my life I am never going to get back!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 06, 2017, 11:07:01 am by RedJ »
I take it it's an all day thing then? do they put them on in Doncaster or am I looking at a journey to Sheffield?

Bit of a pisser that the course is only a fiver less than the fine but then I'd sooner take that hit over points.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 06, 2017, 11:19:57 am by wing commander »
   They did do them in Doncaster as I did one in the hotel behind b&q a couple of years ago...Trick with them is is not to argue....The people doing the course are normally smug gits who live in a perfect world but whatever you argue back they have heard it before and already have the response lined up...All it achieves is making it last longer as it's not a time limit, just however long it takes to get through it....
   When I did mine there was a cocky 20 year old who thought he could argue every point that was made and thought he was a comedian, and we were getting through it at a snails pace...Until the guy behind him leaned forward and threatened to rip his ears off if he didn't shut up..We cracked through it after that...lol

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 06, 2017, 11:35:54 am by Jenny »
I take it it's an all day thing then? do they put them on in Doncaster or am I looking at a journey to Sheffield?

Bit of a pisser that the course is only a fiver less than the fine but then I'd sooner take that hit over points.

Its between 3-4 hours, but I am doing 2 hence the 7 hours.

I am doing one at Rotherham (just off Jct 2 of the M18) and one in Leeds. They do them at the Holiday Inn in Doncaster (warmsworth roundabout) but none of the times suited me.

My whats driving us course was £95 and my speed awareness course was £78.50 - depends who you book with - TTC are more expensive I have found.

I am hoping the people running the courses take sympathy on me & my baby brain!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 06, 2017, 11:47:25 am by RedJ »
Ah so there's more than one price? do you get the option who you book with then? I just looked at the link on the SYP site.

I've got 8 annual leave days I'll struggle to use between now and the end of the year, does it tend to come through pretty quickly?

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 06, 2017, 12:32:17 pm by Jenny »
Usually within a week of you sending the letter back admitting it was you driving.

I did have the option with the one issued by WYP, I booked directly through Kirklees council and it was cheaper.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 06, 2017, 01:11:17 pm by RedJ »
Cheers, I'll look into that then. Saves me a little money at least!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 06, 2017, 02:00:26 pm by Filo »
And people moan about taxi drivers speeding lol!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 06, 2017, 02:25:58 pm by drfchound »

Taking the course is a better option because you dont have to declare it on car insurance applications.
Any sppeding fines and points put your insurances up for at least five years.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 06, 2017, 02:29:28 pm by Filo »

Taking the course is a better option because you dont have to declare it on car insurance applications.
Any sppeding fines and points put your insurances up for at least five years.

You're ok with 3 points regarding insurance as long as it's an SP30

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 06, 2017, 02:32:03 pm by Bentley Bullet »
The problem is knowing what the speed limit is on a lot of our roads.

While you're concentrating on abiding by the slow, slow, quick quick, slow maximum speed changes on certain sections of our roads, you're being distracted from other aspects of driving. It is those mid-Foxtrot neglected aspects that are often the cause of accidents.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 06, 2017, 02:33:49 pm by drfchound »
The problem is knowing what the speed limit is on a lot of our roads.

While you're concentrating on abiding by the slow, slow, quick quick, slow maximum speed changes on certain sections of our roads, you're being distracted from other aspects of driving. It is those mid-Foxtrot neglected aspects that are often the cause of accidents.

ah, but BB, if you had attended one of those awareness courses you would know how to tell what the speed limit is, wherever you are at the time.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 06, 2017, 02:38:14 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I did attend one, Hound, but the fact of the matter is, while you're working out what the speed limit is you are neglecting other aspects of driving.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 06, 2017, 02:43:36 pm by drfchound »
Fair enough, two things at once eh.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 06, 2017, 02:55:53 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I'm convinced that some speed limits are designed for entrapment. In other cases, the rule makers are definitely guilty of overcomplicating the rules. For instance, instead of having to measure the distance between lamp posts to establish the speed limit, why not simply have a bloody sign telling you what it is!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 06, 2017, 03:05:28 pm by drfchound »
There usually is a sign telling you what it is though mate.
Also they often have repeaters on lamp posts as well.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 06, 2017, 03:16:50 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Usually, and often are not always though mate.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 06, 2017, 03:27:51 pm by drfchound »
If the signage is wrong then there would be a case for getting off with the conviction i guess.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on October 06, 2017, 03:44:07 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I'm not advocating getting off with speeding, Hound. I'm all for upholding the speeding laws. But they most certainly aren't designed to be user-friendly, so much so that they bring suspicions of entrapment.

What is the point, for instance, of having a road with a speed limit of 50 mph, suddenly reduced to 40 mph for a couple of hundred yards, then put back to 50 mph, other than to strategically place a speed camera in the 40 mph bit?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012